A lot of negativity but I am feeling good...

Maxman

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though the superbowl sucked, if I was a SF Fan, I'd be upset and my coach didn't even start yet!

The NYJets don't look quite as horrible as they did 6 weeks ago.. decent coaching hires so far, now they need to ace the offseason for me to get excited about 2017, otherwise it's gonna be a long year again...

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

And there is a good reason that you feel this way, as do I and many others:

You have to go back to 1975 to find another season where the Jets either weren't coming off of an optimistic season or a change in head coach or a change at quarterback.   If you go back through our history and think about the off-season mindset for every season since then there has always been something to be excited or interested about either because of playoff optimism or because change was coming.  Just about the only benefit of the constant revolving door at head coach and quarterback is that it would peak fan interest every February. 

This year, we have neither. It feels like we are just going to pick up where January left off because, essentially, we are.

SAR I

Actually you don't have to go that far back...there was nothing to be excited about after Kotite's first season in 1995 where he turned Pete Carroll's 6-10 to 3-13... and which he followed up with 1-15...

34 minutes ago, Awesumtenor said:

Actually you don't have to go that far back...there was nothing to be excited about after Kotite's first season in 1995 where he turned Pete Carroll's 6-10 to 3-13... and which he followed up with 1-15...

actually there was a lot of optimism going into 1996.  we drafted keyshawn, signed O'Donnell, Jumbo, David williams, etc...  no one expected us to be 1-15, we were expected to be competitive.

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

And there is a good reason that you feel this way, as do I and many others:

You have to go back to 1975 to find another season where the Jets either weren't coming off of an optimistic season or a change in head coach or a change at quarterback.   If you go back through our history and think about the off-season mindset for every season since then there has always been something to be excited or interested about either because of playoff optimism or because change was coming.  Just about the only benefit of the constant revolving door at head coach and quarterback is that it would peak fan interest every February. 

This year, we have neither. It feels like we are just going to pick up where January left off because, essentially, we are.

SAR I

good grief.  i get your point. every football fan feels that way about their teams. we should all be greatful for not being chiefs/browns/jags/titans/rams fans.

If we can't field a good team next year, we at least need to field a likeable team. I think that, maybe as much as the 5-11 record, is why a large portion of the fanbase is so pissed off. Unlikeable team full of many unlikeable players.

This process needs to start with letting Geno walk, trading Richardson, and cutting/restructuring Revis.

And if we want to go full rebuild, cutting Marshall (not really in favor of this as we will likely have a young QB that could benefit his development) and Mangold (this one will really hurt). 

16 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Sanchez wasn't great, or even good, but who's been better since?

As one can see by the likes of Brett Favre, Steve Young, Matt Ryan, or even Troy Aikman or Aaron Rodgers, one can't jump to judge a rookie too quickly. 

What you have to ask yourself is what might have happened to Mark Sanchez if he were given proper support, what trajectory might have been taking place after '09 and '10 that was never allowed to develop.  LaDanian Tomlinson, Plaxicco Burress, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, in 2009 and 2010 they were elite players, by 2012 they were replaced by scrubs, all under the guidance of Tony Sparano.  Just tragic.

SAR I

On 2/8/2017 at 2:33 PM, SAR I said:

As one can see by the likes of Brett Favre, Steve Young, Matt Ryan, or even Troy Aikman or Aaron Rodgers, one can't jump to judge a rookie too quickly. 

What you have to ask yourself is what might have happened to Mark Sanchez if he were given proper support, what trajectory might have been taking place after '09 and '10 that was never allowed to develop.  LaDanian Tomlinson, Plaxicco Burress, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, in 2009 and 2010 they were elite players, by 2012 they were replaced by scrubs, all under the guidance of Tony Sparano.  Just tragic.

SAR I

Agreed!  After the second AFCCG season the Jets got rid of anyone who could block and protect Sanchez. Woody, LT, Tony Richardson, Hartsock (who was a great blocking tight end). Brandon Moore went the following year.  Not sure when Slauson left.  Regardless his protection went right down the tubes and as a result Sanchez was always under attack.  Can't blame him for being a bit gun shy after that massacre, yet everyone expected better results with a declining team around him. 

27 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Agreed!  After the second AFCCG season the Jets got rid of anyone who could block and protect Sanchez. Woody, LT, Tony Richardson, Hartsock (who was a great blocking tight end). Brandon Moore went the following year.  Not sure when Slauson left.  Regardless his protection went right down the tubes and as a result Sanchez was always under attack.  Can't blame him for being a bit gun shy after that massacre, yet everyone expected better results with a declining team around him. 

And it would be very Jets-like, wouldn't it?

To finally find the franchise quarterback and then blow it.  Self-inflicted wounds are our specialty.  Namath blowing both hamstrings water skiing.  Todd in the Mud Bowl.  Gastineau roughing the passer.  Martin fumbling Testaverde's achilles.  Disrespecting Belichick.  Ryan not getting the team off the bus at Pittsburgh.  Sanchez makes total sense from that perspective.

SAR I

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

And it would be very Jets-like, wouldn't it?

To finally find the franchise quarterback and then blow it.  Self-inflicted wounds are our specialty.  Namath blowing both hamstrings water skiing.  Todd in the Mud Bowl.  Gastineau roughing the passer.  Martin fumbling Testaverde's achilles.  Disrespecting Belichick.  Ryan not getting the team off the bus at Pittsburgh.  Sanchez makes total sense from that perspective.

SAR I

Definitly get your line of thinking.

But I also think that every team has these same pieces of bad history, right up until they finally get it right... Just takes one player or event or outcome for that bad history to be (mostly) outweighed by the good... It can still happen for the Jets. 

On February 8, 2017 at 2:33 PM, SAR I said:

SAR I

That's why it's so funny Jet fans are losing their sh*t that Hack didn't play. Look at it this way, take Dak Presott & put him behind the Jets Oline last year. Sanchez WAS Dak Prescott in 2009/2010. Very similar teams, great Oline, except Prescott even had a better younger RB, a much better TE (who's an excellent blocker too), Dez Bryant, a good slot WR, Boys are pretty complete except on defense. Throwing Hackenberg to the wolves last year would have been SO Jet like, so I'm actually feeling optimistic about Macc & Bowles fortitude, sticking to the plan of bringing him along slowly. It's the right thing to do until they can increase the talent around him in these next 2 years.

This season took a lot out of me

Then out of nowhere my 11 year old son who didn't know what a 1st down was asks for Madden 17 for Christmas and today adjusted to my HB slipscreen the 3rd time I ran it just by recognizing the formation

So we will be going to a game this year, lol

2 hours ago, Larz said:

This season took a lot out of me

Then out of nowhere my 11 year old son who didn't know what a 1st down was asks for Madden 17 for Christmas and today adjusted to my HB slipscreen the 3rd time I ran it just by recognizing the formation

So we will be going to a game this year, lol

Welcome back.

On 2/6/2017 at 9:32 PM, Maxman said:

I will get flamed for this but:

1. Keeping Bowles was the right thing to do. He didn't have a good year but he is a good coach that will get better.

2. The new assistant coaching staff hires are impressive.

3. The success of next season depends a lot on what veterans they let go. B Marsh vs Sheldon? What to do with Revis? Does Mangold get another year? Those questions will form the locker room and if Bowles wants to be back in 2018, he has to get control of that locker room.

You are  a smart guy,   but I cannot see how you say Bowles is a smart coach.  Based on what?  He even showed signs of incompetence when he went 10-6, and only got worse last season.  So if it is just a hunch-- fine.  It may even turn out to be true.  But the evidence is not there now.

You are  a smart guy,   but I cannot see how you say Bowles is a smart coach.  Based on what?  He even showed signs of incompetence when he went 10-6, and only got worse last season.  So if it is just a hunch-- fine.  It may even turn out to be true.  But the evidence is not there now.

I guess you think Quinn is not very smart either as is evidenced by his SB guffaws ... fact of the matter is that both guys are learning and both will be good coaches ... and are probably pretty damn smart when it comes to football.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 hours ago, jack48 said:

In fairness, I really am not smart. :)

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

In fairness, I really am not smart. :)

Don't be modest.  It is just a case of whether you like him and whether i don't.  Projections are porjections.  I actually see another Rex, minus the personality.  Same stubborn defensive-dumb I don't care about offense approach.  And an equally terrible game manager.  Could he progress?  Sure.  And Hack could be the next Brady, by the same line of "reasoning."

Archived