Do we, at least, all agree we need a QB?

Pointdexter

1 hour ago, GuitarJet said:

I don't post much but......it seems to me that, since the Jets have many needs including a Qb and the QB class this year is week, focus the 1st and 2nd on BAP that fills the other holes, O-line, secondary etc. Move around in the draft to get the right players if necessary. Build the team with young fast ballers (Atlanta anyone?) Hire a real QB coach, play Petty and or Hackenberg and if one emerges, lather rinse repeat next year. If not, and the QB next year is stronger, go for broke and get a QB. The Jets aren't winning anything anyway this coming season.

According to Whom ?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Your assessment is therefore Maccagnan only takes QBs ranked between 3 and 6?

I have no opinion on Darnold. I was using his name as an example of a QB one would have to finish the 17 season with the #1 overall pick to get; the type for whom no trade offer will be accepted.

Also if they want Cousins this year, they'll need to part with quite a bit more than just a wheelbarrow full of money.

you are soooooo wrong.  my assessment is that mac used fairly high draft choices to select a qb on consecutive drafts so if he does like one coming out this season he may very well use another high pick on one.  as for hack's and petty's draft ranking, take it for what it is.  if goff or wentz were available when he took hack he probably would've taken one of them instead.

as for cousins, if they want him they can get him.

On 2/11/2017 at 2:15 PM, rangerous said:

you are soooooo wrong.  my assessment is that mac used fairly high draft choices to select a qb on consecutive drafts so if he does like one coming out this season he may very well use another high pick on one.  as for hack's and petty's draft ranking, take it for what it is.  if goff or wentz were available when he took hack he probably would've taken one of them instead.

as for cousins, if they want him they can get him.

What am I sooooo wrong about? 

If he doesn't ink a high priced QB in FA, Maccagnan will almost assuredly take one with a high pick in the draft.

Next, Cousins will cost more than just a wheelbarrow full of money, as you put it, assuming Washington franchise tags him (as expected). He'll cost draft picks, too:  the 6th overall pick this year and next year's #1 pick. That's more than "just" money -- especially considering all the cuts needed to clear enough money to pay Cousins in the first place; then they wouldn't be able to replenish any of them with the next two 1st rd picks.

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What am I sooooo wrong about? 

If he doesn't ink a high priced QB in FA, Maccagnan will almost assuredly take one with a high pick in the draft.

Next, Cousins will cost more than just a wheelbarrow full of money, as you put it, assuming Washington franchise tags him (as expected). He'll cost draft picks, too:  the 6th overall pick this year and next year's #1 pick. That's more than "just" money -- especially considering all the cuts needed to clear enough money to pay Cousins in the first place; then they wouldn't be able to replenish any of them with the next two 1st rd picks.

what you said was that i said mac only selects qb with 5.5 draft tracker ratings.  that's not what i said at all.  i was implying that i wouldn't be surprised if he did select a qb with a high draft pick if one was available that he liked. in his two drafts he used two fairly high picks for guys who can construed as projects.  the 5.5 rating is irrelevant. there is too little data to say those are the only guys he's looking at.

as for cousins, whatever.  let the redskins franchise him.  that only gives them a year to come to terms or cut him. there are limits as to how much any team should spend on the qb position but if osweiler is getting 18 M then a proven guy on the rise will want more.

No way Watson makes it to the second round. Mehta thinking we won't draft Watson is a good sign if the FO wants him. I don't think he is there at 6. I think he is the QB to take a chance on if the FO decides to go QB early, not some one year starter. Watson might have his issues but he gets it done when it counts and appears to have the mental fortitude to handle the NFL and the NY media.

I wouldn't mind Mahomes at some point either. 

On February 10, 2017 at 6:03 PM, long suffering jets fan said:

I DISAGREE!

We need two quarterbacks.  Vet and rookie.  I'm in the draft a QB every year club.  The vet starts unless someone shows in training camp that they're ready to unseat them.  Low man gets cut. 

Agree

We need to wipe the slate clean.  Either cut Petty or Hack, sign a veteran and draft a Qb in the middle rounds

It's hard to see any single scenario as the clear best one for the Jets at Qb.  Perhaps there's even the option of a trade that would involve unloading Richardson, maybe someone else as well.  (I assume the market for Richardson is not that strong, but he does have a lot of talent.)

I still think it most likely the Jets make a move in FA, but who they will go after is not clear at all to me, despite rumors about Glennon.

32 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

If Glennon is not signed, Im rooting hard for 0-16

So you're rooting for yet another regime change, yet another bunch of players gotten rid of because they don't fit the new regime's  plan of attack and in 2 years, when the next rebuild is incomplete, yet another regime change all so you might have a shot at a QB who might decide he doesn't want to play for our wretched  franchise .

Solid plan . It has worked these last 40 years .

6 hours ago, rangerous said:

what you said was that i said mac only selects qb with 5.5 draft tracker ratings.  that's not what i said at all.  i was implying that i wouldn't be surprised if he did select a qb with a high draft pick if one was available that he liked. in his two drafts he used two fairly high picks for guys who can construed as projects.  the 5.5 rating is irrelevant. there is too little data to say those are the only guys he's looking at.

as for cousins, whatever.  let the redskins franchise him.  that only gives them a year to come to terms or cut him. there are limits as to how much any team should spend on the qb position but if osweiler is getting 18 M then a proven guy on the rise will want more.

I'm less concerned with the details of your assessment than I'm concerned with how many ridges are on Maxman's scrotum. 

He's adding another "name" QB this year, whether an expensive FA or a high draft pick. He's not going to wait around for a year, to see if Washington may or may not extend him beyond the franchise tag. If he's going to bet his career on a maybe-opportunity to pay through the nose for Kirk Cousins in 1 year, then he's an even bigger dope than I already think.

Cousins - if the latest rumors are to be given any credibility - could end up getting more than Andrew Luck. That's on top of any draft pick compensation to Washington, if he's to be acquired this year.

9 hours ago, thadude said:

Agree

We need to wipe the slate clean.  Either cut Petty or Hack, sign a veteran and draft a Qb in the middle rounds

Vet, Petty, Hack, Draft pick.  I think only vet (if we get a good one) is safe after training camp.  If Draft pick can't beat anyone out then he gets cut and Petty, or Hack fight it out for second string.  I wouldn't mind if we have 5 QBs competing and keep 3. 

You only draft a QB in the 1st round this year if you really love one of the guys whose there when you pick.

Otherwise I would have no problem if the Jets went into next season with Hack and Petty and a random vet as their QB's. Maybe even take another QB in the middle rounds again. 

The biggest question is do the Jets want to throw big money at Glennon or possibly even Tyrod Taylor (if he's cut)

Archived