Mayock On The QB's

KRL

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000784491/article/mayock-id-be-scared-to-death-to-draft-qb-in-top-10-this-year

NFL clubs that are considering taking a quarterback with one of the top 10 picks of the 2017 draft do so at their own peril.

Clemson's Deshaun Watson, North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky and Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer are considered three of the most promising options in a relatively weak pool of draftable quarterbacks, and NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock left little doubt about whether any of them merit a top-10 selection in the draft.

"All three of these quarterbacks, to me, I would be scared to death in the top 10," Mayock told The College Draft podcast.

The Cleveland Browns certainly have a need at the position, and hold the No. 1 overall pick, as well as the No. 12 pick. If NFL clubs see the quarterback field as Mayock does, the Browns could potentially address a different position with the No. 1 pick and still have their pick of any quarterback at No. 12. Other clubs with a top 10-pick and a quarterback need include the San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears and New York Jets.

Mayock addressed concerns on each of Watson, Trubisky and Kizer. Whether Watson has the ability to maintain accuracy when his first read is not open, particularly while remaining in the pocket, is among the questions NFL clubs will want answered about him, per Mayock. As for Trubisky, who was a backup at UNC to Marquise Williams for two seasons prior to 2016, a lack of college experience for a one-year starter is a top concern.

0ap3000000775383.jpg

2017 NFL DRAFT

"If (Trubisky is) so talented and gifted, and a top-10-type pick, one of the first questions a lot of teams are asking is, why couldn't he beat out Marquise Williams the last couple years at North Carolina? What's the answer to that one?," Mayock said.

Mayock believes Kizer has the highest ceiling of the three, but his play at critical times for the Fighting Irish wasn't impressive.

"The problem I have is that (Kizer's) pocket mechanics seem to break down at the worst times. He got removed in the fourth quarter from two or three games last year. He got replaced at Stanford, he got replaced at USC. I've watched five of his games so far, and in almost every game at critical times, the pocket mechanics, the feel in the pocket, the decisions you're making with the football, seems to break down when the team needs him the most."

As tempting as it might be for an NFL club to address the most important position on the field with the best any given draft has to offer, drafting for need over value is reputed to be a bad strategy.

And if the teams needing a quarterback stick to value-based picks early in the draft, the top QBs could slide for a while.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, KRL said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000784491/article/mayock-id-be-scared-to-death-to-draft-qb-in-top-10-this-year

NFL clubs that are considering taking a quarterback with one of the top 10 picks of the 2017 draft do so at their own peril.

Clemson's Deshaun Watson, North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky and Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer are considered three of the most promising options in a relatively weak pool of draftable quarterbacks, and NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock left little doubt about whether any of them merit a top-10 selection in the draft.

"All three of these quarterbacks, to me, I would be scared to death in the top 10," Mayock told The College Draft podcast.

The Cleveland Browns certainly have a need at the position, and hold the No. 1 overall pick, as well as the No. 12 pick. If NFL clubs see the quarterback field as Mayock does, the Browns could potentially address a different position with the No. 1 pick and still have their pick of any quarterback at No. 12. Other clubs with a top 10-pick and a quarterback need include the San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bears and New York Jets.

Mayock addressed concerns on each of Watson, Trubisky and Kizer. Whether Watson has the ability to maintain accuracy when his first read is not open, particularly while remaining in the pocket, is among the questions NFL clubs will want answered about him, per Mayock. As for Trubisky, who was a backup at UNC to Marquise Williams for two seasons prior to 2016, a lack of college experience for a one-year starter is a top concern.

0ap3000000775383.jpg

2017 NFL DRAFT

"If (Trubisky is) so talented and gifted, and a top-10-type pick, one of the first questions a lot of teams are asking is, why couldn't he beat out Marquise Williams the last couple years at North Carolina? What's the answer to that one?," Mayock said.

Mayock believes Kizer has the highest ceiling of the three, but his play at critical times for the Fighting Irish wasn't impressive.

"The problem I have is that (Kizer's) pocket mechanics seem to break down at the worst times. He got removed in the fourth quarter from two or three games last year. He got replaced at Stanford, he got replaced at USC. I've watched five of his games so far, and in almost every game at critical times, the pocket mechanics, the feel in the pocket, the decisions you're making with the football, seems to break down when the team needs him the most."

As tempting as it might be for an NFL club to address the most important position on the field with the best any given draft has to offer, drafting for need over value is reputed to be a bad strategy.

And if the teams needing a quarterback stick to value-based picks early in the draft, the top QBs could slide for a while.

Mac has scouted Kizer pretty extensively.  Not sure if he likes him or hates him, though.

8 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Mac has scouted Kizer pretty extensively.  Not sure if he likes him or hates him, though.

He also scouted Hackenberg extensively.  

The only qb i have slight interest in is Watson.  Hes played big in big time gamrs.  Seems to win games and i like that trait.

Kizer and Trib dont even look at.

On Trubiusky not beating out Marquise,  he forgets Williams was an excellent college QB.  it wasn't like he was sitting behind some scrub.  just b/c he is not an NFL QB doesn't mean he wasn't a good college QB and Carolina would put Mitch in weekly for some series.  that doesn't happen often.

15 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He also scouted Hackenberg extensively.  

The only qb i have slight interest in is Watson.  Hes played big in big time gamrs.  Seems to win games and i like that trait.

Kizer and Trib dont even look at.

I agree with this. Watson seems to be a winner, and this team is definitely lacking winners.  Its still early though.  The grades for these guys could skyrocket or tank between now and the draft, so let's see how it all develops. 

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

On Trubiusky not beating out Marquise,  he forgets Williams was an excellent college QB.  it wasn't like he was sitting behind some scrub.  just b/c he is not an NFL QB doesn't mean he wasn't a good college QB and Carolina would put Mitch in weekly for some series.  that doesn't happen often.

Who do you like from this year's QB's junc?

What do you think about Mahomes?

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I agree with this. Watson seems to be a winner, and this team is definitely lacking winners.  Its still early though.  The grades for these guys could skyrocket or tank between now and the draft, so let's see how it all develops. 

Vince Young, Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel were winners too in college

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

To put Mayock's point into something you could definitely relate to, it would be like Michael Jordan sitting behind Matt Doherty for two years.

7 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

I haven't watched enough college football to give an informed opinion.  I have watched Trubisky a lot and I like what I see but there also may be some Carolina bias in there from me.  he has all the tools but he also had a loaded UNC offense around him making plays.  I would like to have seen what he could do this year w/ most of those guys leaving.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

To put Mayock's point into something you could definitely relate to, it would be like Michael Jordan sitting behind Matt Doherty for two years.

Marquise was a damn good college QB.  that is a poor comparison.  it would be more like Danny Green sitting behind Marcus Ginyard which happened for 3 years.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

he was a good role player and I don't think you would call Mitch a Michael Jordan of QBs.  

Not at all, just talking about the fact that he is being talked about as a top 3-5 pick.Guys like that usually start for more than one year. Does the name Sanchez ring a bell?

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

Not at all, just talking about the fact that he is being talked about as a top 3-5 pick.Guys like that usually start for more than one year. Does the name Sanchez ring a bell?

the guy that helped us reach 2 title games?   Mitch wasn't a junior sitting behind a good college QB, he left early.  The greatest QB of all time sat behind Brian Griese then split time w/ Drew Henson.  

41 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

On Trubiusky not beating out Marquise,  he forgets Williams was an excellent college QB.  it wasn't like he was sitting behind some scrub.  just b/c he is not an NFL QB doesn't mean he wasn't a good college QB and Carolina would put Mitch in weekly for some series.  that doesn't happen often

Mahomes beat out 2 excellent college QBs in Baker Mayfield and David Webb to the point they transferred out.

I'm just not buying this nonsense. Deshaun Watson the last two years against Bama in the biggest stage:

66 - 103 (64%), 825 yds, 7 TD's v 1 int

116 rushing yds. 1 TD

This against what ppl were calling the best college defense of all time. Bama has NFL players on that D from top to bottom.  Not bad for a kid who struggles with accuracy from the pocket, lol.

Give me a winner like this on my team every day of the week. 

6 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Mahomes beat out 2 excellent college QBs in Baker Mayfield and David Webb to the point they transferred out.

awesome, Troy Aikman transferred from Oklahoma.  he did ok.  didn't Newton transfer out of Florida?  Mitch may suck, I just don't think it's fair to say b/c he couldn't beat our Marquise or that b/c he only played one year(+) that he won't succeed in the NFL.

55 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Also, once upon a time a guy named Tom Brady lost his starting job and was splitting reps in games with Drew Henson. What happens in college isn't always indicative of what will happen in the pros.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

awesome, Troy Aikman transferred from Oklahoma.  he did ok.  didn't Newton transfer out of Florida?  Mitch may suck, I just don't think it's fair to say b/c he couldn't beat our Marquise or that b/c he only played one year(+) that he won't succeed in the NFL.

Again relevance?  If Webb and Mayfield become Aikman and Newton, great for them.  I didn't disparage transfers so I don't really get the point.  I simply pointed out that Mahomes beat them out; I find that to be an impressive feat in evaluating him as a QB.  With regards to Mitch, why don't you go tell the poster who said he couldn't beat out Marquise that how unfair it is to hold that against him?

6 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Again relevance?  If Webb and Mayfield become Aikman and Newton, great for them.  I didn't disparage transfers so I don't really get the point.  I simply pointed out that Mahomes beat them out; I find that to be an impressive feat in evaluating him as a QB.  With regards to Mitch, why don't you go tell the poster who said he couldn't beat out Marquise that how unfair it is to hold that against him?

I don't get what you are saying.

25 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

I'm just not buying this nonsense. Deshaun Watson the last two years against Bama in the biggest stage:

116 rushing yds. 1 TD

This against what ppl were calling the best college defense of all time. Bama has NFL players on that D from top to bottom.  Not bad for a kid who struggles with accuracy from the pocket, lol.

Check out Vince Young's Rose Bowl games and tell me he wasnt destined for greatness.  IMO, he single handedly won those games.

30 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Check out Vince Young's Rose Bowl games and tell me he wasnt destined for greatness.  IMO, he single handedly won those games.

Excellent comparison, Young did what Watson did but he wasn't cut out for the pro game.  There's no

exact science in finding a QB except for a few players it's a crap shoot

1 hour ago, Pointdexter said:

116 rushing yds. 1 TD

Other side of the coin, Leonard Fournette in 2 games vs the same defense, 40 carries, 110 yards  2.8 /carry.

2 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

fwiw the draft tracker has trubitsky ranked 1(6.7) followed by watson (6.3), mahomes (5.9) and kizer (5.8).  i don't know this translates into the real world but none of their scores are showing them to be world beaters.  on the other hand winston (6.7) and mariota (6.2) were also graded out 1 and 2 in their draft class and they are working out pretty well. so where was hack (5.5)?  he was ranked 5th in 2016 and was the fourth qb drafted.  wentz (6.5) was no. 1 and did pretty well starting for philly.  goff (6.5)was no. 2, lynch (6.1) no. 3 , cook (5.8) no. 4,  brisset (5.5) no. 6, prescott (5.4) no. 7.  hack, brisset and prescott all graded out about the same.

18 minutes ago, TJ said:

And Mayock doesn't mention Mahomes II.   

the talking heads are all fixated on the chuck and duck qb's not being able to adapt to the nfl.  can't say they're wrong but they also seem to overvalue the guys who come from the "pro" set schools.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Not advocating trub or anything (I know nothing about him yet)  but people seriously forget that college football and NFL are two separate entities. If one thrives in college but flops in the NFL then he's a failure. People forget that Tim Tebow is probably the greatest qb in college history 

I remember how Parcells felt about qbs who have played less than three years as a starter in college.. so I looked to see if there was any modern day qb with as little starting experience in college as Trubisky has had and still have a very good NFL career.

Struggled to find any but this does not mean Trubisky won't make it.

As @nyjunc referred to, Trubisky played well in spot duty his sophmore year.

The NFL has it's share of qb failures  (both of the variety of those who left school early, and those who stayed in school) but would the likes of Mark Sanchez be successful if he (took Pete Carroll's advise) stayed in school for that final year ? I expect he would still be a dissapointment today.

I doubt Jets fans have the stomach to see another kid redshirting, which is what Trubisky may need.

Archived