Brandon Marshall also speaks out on Hackenberg

Scott Dierking

New York Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall has nothing but confidence in second-year quarterback Christian Hackenberg.

“I mean, from day one, [he’d say], ‘Brandon, hey, when are you watching film? I want to go sit in that room with you and watch film.’ That’s what I love, like the guys who have that Tom Brady, that Peyton Manning leadership quality, the guys that are gym rats — that’s Hackenberg,” Marshall told WFAN’s Mike Francesa.

Opinions are split on Hackenberg’s long-term projection as an NFL quarterback. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that an anonymous Jets coach said Hackenberg “couldn’t hit the ocean” earlier this season. On the other hand, Marshall has backed Hackenberg since his arrival in New York.

The Jets finished last season 5-11 and head into 2017 looking for a new starting quarterback. With both Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith entering free agency, there’s a chance neither returns to New York next fall. Plus, former Baylor standout Bryce Petty is coming off a torn labrum.

“The kid has a chance,” Marshall also told WFAN. “Obviously we know he has talent, he has an arm. If he continues to work he’ll be alright.”

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff.  This thread is sure to go 10 pages, but it's good to hear reassuring things like this.  

Also, for 7.5mil, I hope we keep Brandon.  Having a guy like him will help any young guy we have succeed.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Good stuff.  This thread is sure to go 10 pages, but it's good to hear stuff like this. For 7.5mil I hope we keep Brandon.  Having a guy like him will help any young guy we have succeed.

Anonymous sources and stuff that we haven't seen mean the world to some people.

We all need to hope the kid pulls through. 

34 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Works hard. Has an arm. Well, I'm relieved. 

Considering BM, who has seen him, been in meetings with him, says "the kid has a chance".  Perhaps an outsider like yourself should give him a chance. That's all most here, at least those Jets fans that want to see the kid succeed, have been saying. 

18 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Considering BM, who has seen him, been in meetings with him, says "the kid has a chance".  Perhaps an outsider like yourself should give him a chance. That's all most here, at least those Jets fans that want to see the kid succeed, have been saying. 

I'm willing to give him a chance. I want him to be the starter next year. If he succeeds, great. If he sucks out loud, great. Either way they'll have a better grasp on the QB situation moving forward if Hack is ready to play in 2017. If he isn't then it's time to move on. 

13 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Didn't you desire Futz?

Didn't Brandon Marshall?

Sad part is this kid is going to get crucified on every errant throw he makes...he will never be graded fairly and is already being classified as a bum by too many people who have never seen more than a preseason game. He is already in an uphill battle battling no-one but himself and the judgmental fan base. If he isnt a flat out rock star first 6 starts then he might as well be dead around here. 

26 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Some have led us to believe that he zero redeeming qualities. That there was nothing to work with.

I know this is not as qualified as an unnamed source, but still.....

The Jets need a long term, viable, above average solution at QB. It could be him. We don't know yet. If the Jets don't get to find out soon, that likelihood decreases. He needs to show more than a willingness to watch film. He has to take great strides on the field. 

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Good stuff.  This thread is sure to go 10 pages, but it's good to hear reassuring things like this.  

Also, for 7.5mil, I hope we keep Brandon.  Having a guy like him will help any young guy we have succeed.

This 100%!!

And thank you BM!!!  People still don't get it, you want to work hard and you want to win!!!

Brandon M. always talks up his QB's, no matter who they are.  Not a bad trait, but makes his comment meaningless.

We'll see for ourselves about Hack when A. the Jets sign/draft/do nothing at QB this offseason and B. How Hack plays in Pre-Season (presuming he does).

Till then, it's all hot air tbqh.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'm willing to give him a chance. I want him to be the starter next year. If he succeeds, great. If he sucks out loud, great. Either way they'll have a better grasp on the QB situation moving forward if Hack is ready to play in 2017. If he isn't then it's time to move on. 

Didn't Brandon Marshall?

Oy

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Some have led us to believe that he zero redeeming qualities. That there was nothing to work with.

I know this is not as qualified as an unnamed source, but still.....

Yeah, don't let the fact that the source was unnamed (if they existed at all) get in the way of a good story.  Perfect fodder for those who never supported the Hack pick.  

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Anonymous sources and stuff that we haven't seen mean the world to some people.

We all need to hope the kid pulls through. 

It really is the Jets best path to being good. So many people are discounting it. But I would have no problem sitting through a year with Hack if they believe he could be a long term franchise QB.

I don't think Petty is the answer. Too brittle.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Brandon M. always talks up his QB's, no matter who they are.  Not a bad trait, but makes his comment meaningless.

We'll see for ourselves about Hack when A. the Jets sign/draft/do nothing at QB this offseason and B. How Hack plays in Pre-Season (presuming he does).

Till then, it's all hot air tbqh.

I understand where you're coming from when you say Marshall always talks up his QB's.  But, I think it's unfair for people to dismiss his comments as "meaningless".  Just like I think it's unfair for some people to EMBRACE the words of an "anonymous source" that criticized Hack during the season. 

If Marshall thinks he has a chance, let's at least, give him a chance.

6 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Sad part is this kid is going to get crucified on every errant throw he makes...he will never be graded fairly and is already being classified as a bum by too many people who have never seen more than a preseason game. He is already in an uphill battle battling no-one but himself and the judgmental fan base. If he isnt a flat out rock star first 6 starts then he might as well be dead around here. 

True but on the flip side when he throws a dart between defenders, fires a long out to the far side of the field or floats a beautiful fade into the back of the end zone and hits nothing but hands each time then it'll be a massive, pleasant surprise, in many ways the low expectations might actually help him.

The anonymous quote about not being able to hit the ocean has created an expectation that he can barely complete a single pass. Clearly anyone who watched his college tape saw some wild inconsistency, it's the reason he went from touted No 1 overall pick after his freshman season to out of the 1st round altogether, but without doubt he can make some big time throws. Now whether good coaching can correct some technical flaws( largely in footwork) that meant too many throws were off(sometimes way off)remains to be seen but what we do know he has a lot of the tools, he has great size, arm talent, heart, toughness, smarts, ability to read a defence, leadership and even mobility.

On top of all that he's played in a pro-style offense and understands the little things like operating a huddle, changing plays at the LOS, drawing defenders offside, taking snaps under centre and executing actual proper play-fakes, Watch college tape on just about every QB prospect these days and they are almost all playing in air-raid type offenses and operating entirely out of the shotgun, Both Geno & Petty for example, huge numbers, impressive throws, unprepared for an actual NFL offense.

The almost comically low expectation level is such that if he actually takes the field and completes a couple of routine throws he'll have already gone way beyond the wildest expectations of about 70% of the experts(Jet fans on messageboards).

5 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Yeah, don't let the fact that the source was unnamed (if they existed at all) get in the way of a good story.  Perfect fodder for those who never supported the Hack pick.  

Unfortunately I think this story is true, Schefter has a reputation for being accurate so I'm inclined to believe it and it is worrying no doubt. We have to hope the anonymous source turns out have been clueless.

I dont agree with everything Marshall says, and im not even sure if he was a problem in the locker room (or if it was all Sheldon), but from what I know of Brandon as a Jet, I like him. 

I dont like the fact that he'll say things like "Im going down in a boat with Ryan Fitzpatrick", but the guy seems to be a teammate looking to build up the guys around him. 

9 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

imo maybe yes maybe no.  if hack is the only reason the team losses then yes.  but there are going to be days when he will flat out be bad and the team will still win.  of course that assumes the jets can come together as a team.  his early problem might be trying to win games all by himself.  they aren't sprints.  they're 1 hour marathons and over half of the game doesn't depend on what he does.

21 minutes ago, rangerous said:

imo maybe yes maybe no.  if hack is the only reason the team losses then yes.  but there are going to be days when he will flat out be bad and the team will still win.  of course that assumes the jets can come together as a team.  his early problem might be trying to win games all by himself.  they aren't sprints.  they're 1 hour marathons and over half of the game doesn't depend on what he does.

hahahahahahaha I dont know what rationale group of fans you have been reading but the group I have been responding to and reading are (not all) VERY impatient, often irrational, impulsive, not objective, many carrying a 47 yr old grudge and well, sometimes plain old dumb. I dont think all of us will make the distinction between when the loss isnt his fault and when it is. Football is a game is inches and one bad throw can kill momentum. All that kid needs to do is eat one bad hot dog on the sideline and he will be the buttfumble all over again. The ONLY way he is taken seriously is if he takes us to the playoffs his second year behind center. He might get a pass the first year if he shows some promise and we win at least 8 games but if there are no playoffs in year two despite his development he will be treated like Colt 45 backwash. 

Archived