Brandon Marshall also speaks out on Hackenberg

Scott Dierking

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Well, if you are going to mince words, he said "from day one...... Which reflects the film study was on-going. My schooled learnings that the word "from" portrays it as a thing that regularly happened. Therein does not imply any exaggeration. 

Personally, I would rather have a guy that supposedly works hard. Just me. Seems to me guys get bashed here regularly for being lazy, and there is an implied sentiment that leads to poor performance and not caring. i guess the converse does not work in this case.

Again, I put more value in actual first person reporting, than anonymous sources. If that is a contradiction, so be it.

No, it just means it started then. That does not necessarily connote the idea that it continued through the end of the season, and it's pretty doubtful it did or he'd surely have said so. 

Again, Marshall's comments don't contradict those of the anonymous sauce.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Why believe anything anybody says for that matter. Everyone looks out for number one.

In that way, everyone is a blank canvas with the eye test being the future performance indicator.

But, that has not been done in this case. Anonymous sources have allowed the inference game to be in perpetual motion.

Maybe Marshall was the anonymous source too, that said Hack has no chance. Covering all his bases. He is the Jets Colonel Flagg

Perhaps all truth is but gossamer thread drifting on a spring breeze, gently caressing the tall grass, carrying memories of lives that never were

59 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, it just means it started then. That does not necessarily connote the idea that it continued through the end of the season, and it's pretty doubtful it did or he'd surely have said so. 

Again, Marshall's comments don't contradict those of the anonymous sauce.

Now it is you who is drawing possible false narratives.

Marshall's comments does jve with what Mehta has reported ("can't fault his work ethic or desire"), and sources from inside the Jets braintrust that they were pleased with Hackenberg's progress this year.

As much as one side wants to spin, spin can be produced to counterbalance, that is all I am saying.

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Now it is you who is drawing possible false narratives.

Marshall's comments does jve with what Mehta has reported ("can't fault his work ethic or desire"), and sources from inside the Jets braintrust that they were pleased with Hackenberg's progress this year.

As much as one side wants to spin, spin can be produced to counterbalance, that is all I am saying.

I am not questioning his work ethic. Just that Marshall didn't say what is being inferred.

I am also saying, for the 3rd time now, that Marshall's comments do not contradict those of the anonymous source. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I am not questioning his work ethic. Just that Marshall didn't say what is being inferred.

I am also saying, for the 3rd time now, that Marshall's comments do not contradict those of the anonymous source. 

There can be several ways that can be inferred what he was saying. Just because you feel it reflects in one manner, does not necessarily mean that is the only way to interpret.

I never said that what Marshall said contradicted what negative connotations were thrown out before, more so, that they provided a balance to the tone that was presented of positive vs negative.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

There can be several ways that can be inferred what he was saying. Just because you feel it reflects in one manner, does not necessarily mean that is the only way to interpret.

I never said that what Marshall said contradicted what negative connotations were thrown out before, more so, that they provided a balance to the tone that was presented of positive vs negative.

I don't feel it reflects anything is my point. It suggests that early on - or at the beginning of camp - Hackenberg asked to watch film with Marshall. This doesn't infer that this practice - or request - continued throughout the summer, into the season, etc. 

There's nothing wrong with Marshall's comments (quite the opposite). Just that Marshall putting his name on them don't make them more credible, unless one wants to believe the anonymous source was completely fabricated. I take for granted that it is uncommon for any coach to put their names on badmouth-type comments about a teammate or ex-teammate, especially if they want to continue playing or coaching in the league. One can get away with that if they're in demand - like Marshall/Cutler, as you referenced earlier - but it's uncommon.

Conversely, saying nice things comes with no reason for anonymity - on the contrary, it's a nice thing to do - therefore people are far more prone to attaching their names to such comments.

44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't feel it reflects anything is my point. It suggests that early on - or at the beginning of camp - Hackenberg asked to watch film with Marshall. This doesn't infer that this practice - or request - continued throughout the summer, into the season, etc. 

There's nothing wrong with Marshall's comments (quite the opposite). Just that Marshall putting his name on them don't make them more credible, unless one wants to believe the anonymous source was completely fabricated. I take for granted that it is uncommon for any coach to put their names on badmouth-type comments about a teammate or ex-teammate, especially if they want to continue playing or coaching in the league. One can get away with that if they're in demand - like Marshall/Cutler, as you referenced earlier - but it's uncommon.

Conversely, saying nice things comes with no reason for anonymity - on the contrary, it's a nice thing to do - therefore people are far more prone to attaching their names to such comments.

It doesn't infer that this activity DID NOT continue either. That is my point. We both can infer differently I realize. You choose not to admit that. ok.

Just me, but I give more creed to quotes and reviews when they contain the name of the person supplying them. That is just me. I never inferred that the quotes were fabricated, just that without a source, one should question what the agenda of the person who supplied them was. Was it a flaming action, out the door? Again to me, put your name on it. 

Marshall made a point to point out a couple of Hack's strengths. He was not coerced to be that flowery, and he could have tempered those. Something along the line of "Hack grew this year, but there is work left." That is the language he used on Petty. He was a little more ebullient on Hack, that is all.

I can be as picayune on this as you. There 2 sides to every coin.

BREAKING: Pro sports person says nice things about teammate. Story at 11.

Seriously though, B-Marsh does like the kid's work ethic.  Regularly saw the two of them come out on the field early to work through some routes/throws on game day this season.

14 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Unfortunately I think this story is true, Schefter has a reputation for being accurate so I'm inclined to believe it and it is worrying no doubt. We have to hope the anonymous source turns out have been clueless.

Get a veteran QB in here and draft a QB somewhere in the draft and we'll have less to worry about.

No matter where you stand on Hack, reality is he has to be good enough this year to carry Todd Bowles into a contract extension in order to not have to learn 3 different offenses under 3 different OC's in his first 3 years. I don't think there is a QB in the history of the NFL that went on the be successful with 3 different OC's in his first 3 years, much less one as flawed as Hack.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

14 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

It doesn't infer that this activity DID NOT continue either. That is my point. We both can infer differently I realize. You choose not to admit that. ok.

Just me, but I give more creed to quotes and reviews when they contain the name of the person supplying them. That is just me. I never inferred that the quotes were fabricated, just that without a source, one should question what the agenda of the person who supplied them was. Was it a flaming action, out the door? Again to me, put your name on it. 

Marshall made a point to point out a couple of Hack's strengths. He was not coerced to be that flowery, and he could have tempered those. Something along the line of "Hack grew this year, but there is work left." That is the language he used on Petty. He was a little more ebullient on Hack, that is all.

I can be as picayune on this as you. There 2 sides to every coin.

If you say so. I'd tend to think that if this practice went on all summer, through the entire season, that a mouth like Marshall - who genuinely seemed to want to say positive things about him - doesn't get coy about that. Not if he's going to make an attempt to draw similarities between Hackenberg and the likes of Brady & Peyton Manning.

Just in general, I think the other source has good reason for staying anonymous, while Marshall has none. My issue with the practice is sometimes an author can push his own agenda onto a fictitious source. In this case all that was really inferred is that Hackenberg had accuracy issues. Hardly a shocker.

It just doesn't seem far fetched, given the team's reluctance to use him as so much as a backup. Particularly if he's a 6'4" tall, cannon-armed, hardworking gym rat you believe was doing regular film study for 5-6 consecutive months with a veteran WR with borderline HOF numbers. 

49 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If you say so. I'd tend to think that if this practice went on all summer, through the entire season, that a mouth like Marshall - who genuinely seemed to want to say positive things about him - doesn't get coy about that. Not if he's going to make an attempt to draw similarities between Hackenberg and the likes of Brady & Peyton Manning.

Just in general, I think the other source has good reason for staying anonymous, while Marshall has none. My issue with the practice is sometimes an author can push his own agenda onto a fictitious source. In this case all that was really inferred is that Hackenberg had accuracy issues. Hardly a shocker.

It just doesn't seem far fetched, given the team's reluctance to use him as so much as a backup. Particularly if he's a 6'4" tall, cannon-armed, hardworking gym rat you believe was doing regular film study for 5-6 consecutive months with a veteran WR with borderline HOF numbers. 

Using Marshall's word in quotes "From day one........" 

This can be taken several ways:

-That from day one on, it continued

-That it was day one only or shortly

Neither of us know the correct feelings Marshall was trying to portray. All I was trying to do, as I have stated numerous times, is provide counterbalance to the narrative that there are zero redeeming qualities in the kid. That is all. There are other intonations around the Jets, and Hackenberg that he is a "hard worker". Means very little in the big picture of things, but I rather that, than a lazy gus who does not study. That is all.

I notice in the last several weeks you are really trying to argue minutia, when an essence is more the message. I hope everything is ok with you, as I get an image of a guy standing outside shaking his fist at the clouds. :) Stay well.

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Using Marshall's word in quotes "From day one........" 

This can be taken several ways:

-That from day one on, it continued

-That it was day one only or shortly

Neither of us know the correct feelings Marshall was trying to portray. All I was trying to do, as I have stated numerous times, is provide counterbalance to the narrative that there are zero redeeming qualities in the kid. That is all. There are other intonations around the Jets, and Hackenberg that he is a "hard worker". Means very little in the big picture of things, but I rather that, than a lazy gus who does not study. That is all.

I notice in the last several weeks you are really trying to argue minutia, when an essence is more the message. I hope everything is ok with you, as I get an image of a guy standing outside shaking his fist at the clouds. :) Stay well.

Marshall is being a good soldier

Hack is horrible

8 hours ago, thadude said:

This

No one takes Petty and Havk seriously outside of 30% of posters on jet messageboards

It's that plus I think we have to move to a philosophy that we need at least 4-5 QBs to evaluate in TC each year and low 1 or 2 drop out.  I believe NE kept 4 QBs when they drafted Brady (Brady started at 4th string)  and we all know what happened there.

This video has good footage and analysis on Fournette and Cook.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/2/9/14559006/2017-jaguars-nfl-draft-dalvin-cook-vs-leonard-fournette-film-breakdown

19 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Get a veteran QB in here and draft a QB somewhere in the draft and we'll have less to worry about.

Kaaya or Davis Webb in the draft and I'm on board, unless a guy like Trubisky or Watson make it to the 2nd round which I highly doubt

Let's not get crazy - all Marshall said is 'the kid has a chance, he has an arm'. I have a chance. You have a chance. An Infinitesimally small chance. And he does have an arm - in fact, he's got 2. I've seen photos.

This is far from effusive praise coming from Marshall regarding a QB. I think the only thing this tells us for sure is that Marshall doesn't hate Hackenberg. [yet?]

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Backing your teammates, if they suck, is no noble event. It detrimental to development of the team.

Honesty is more appropriate or silence.

Because being around the kid, working closely with him on a daily basis he would never get the insight into him that you have.  

Have to admit, I find it amazing that people who wouldn't know what Hack is are quick to tell us what he is, what he isn't, where he comes up short without having seen him in forever and then criticize someone who works with him as being clueless. 

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because being around the kid, working closely with him on a daily basis he would never get the insight into him that you have.  

Have to admit, I find it amazing that people who wouldn't know what Hack is are quick to tell us what he is, what he isn't, where he comes up short without having seen him in forever and then criticize someone who works with him as being clueless. 

I was responding to more of the quote about Geno.  My point being simply if you back a guy that sucks, who are you helping?

I have no opinion on Hack yet. 

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I was responding to more of the quote about Geno.  My point being simply if you back a guy that sucks, who are you helping?

I have no opinion on Hack yet. 

I didn't necessarily mean you, was just making a general statement, sorry

Archived