Report: Jets Want Tyrod, Not Culter

Warfish

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Happy Clouds said:

Vic Carrucci of the Buffalo news, is reporting today that Tyrod Taylor is not willing to  restructure his contract to take less money to stay in Buffalo. He and his agent both believe they can get AT LEAST what would be the six years and $92 million that Buffalo would currently have to pay him.

Wow.

pass. Absolutely pass this is nuts. 3 years 30 m for Glenn on is way smarter imo

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

Maybe, but that's a tough path to navigate for Washington.   Cousins was franchised last year so the 2017 tag is $24M - which is manageable.   The issue for Was is the 2018 tag would then jump to $34M, making it almost impossible to keep him.   Right now Cousins holds all of the cards and there is no home town discount.    Maybe Washington can figure out a way to tag cousins (which he'll immediately sign) and let him work out a long-term deal w/another team while working a trade in the background.   The risk for Washington is that the other team simply calls their bluff if the asking price is too high.   I think a 3rd or 4th rd pick is reasonable for the right to pay him 20M+ / season.   

Well they can tag him, try, and work out a long term deal quickly, and if they don't like the way the negotiations are going, and don't want to pay the crazy tag number they can rescind the tag like the Dolphins did with Vernon last year unless he signs the tag offer 2 minutes after they place it on him.

2 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Do you think he's good?

I'd take him with his contract 100x out of 100 over re-signing Fitz for 1yr/$12m. Or Cutler either.

Hard to know what his ceiling is playing in a conservative offense. But even with some unreliable wepponz his TD:INT ratio in his first 2 years of live action is encouraging. Especially from a passer with big play ability who can chuck it deep without a ridiculous rainbow throw.

I'd be lying if I insinuated I really broke down film of him enough to sign up for a huge commitment today, though. So I couldn't comment as to staring down primary targets in maddening fashion, and such things that limit one's ceiling.

2 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

Vic Carrucci of the Buffalo news, is reporting today that Tyrod Taylor is not willing to  restructure his contract to take less money to stay in Buffalo. He and his agent both believe they can get AT LEAST what would be the six years and $92 million that Buffalo would currently have to pay him.

Can you blame him. Hi taxes, shilty weather,  shilty owner and no playoff hopes.

I think it will be interesting to see if the Browns get involved with either Glennon or Taylor, if available. They have lots of $ to spend if FA, and they could address the QB position before the draft with either one of those two guys, who are both young. Then, use all their many picks to build their team, maybe taking a shot on day 3 with a "project" qb to groom. 

I may be in the minority, but I think Macc will give Hack an opportunity to start this season and will do so by gong after Hoyer (or another low level, relatively cheap vet FA) and having Petty push Hack. That will be the 3 QBs. Jets fans may not like it. But it makes sense b/c it will allow the Jets to see what they have in both Petty and Hack.

This means the Jets WILL NOT draft a QB early. It means they WILL NOT sign a high priced FA (T.Taylor, Glennon, Cousins).

I for one believe the Jets brass considerable confidence in Hack. I think they believe he can be a starter in 2017 and is way ahead of where a lot of fans (and reporters/beat writers) think he is as far as development.

I have no proof. I have no evidence. I just know Hack is a smart kid, hard worker, film/gym rat, and has all the tools and talent you look for in a QB. Although he was clearly inconsistent in the playing time he got in preseason, accuracy and pocket awareness were major issues, I also saw a lot of good things, a lot of things you don't see rookie QBs able to do- go through progressions, call audibles, read defenses, etc. That's just me.    

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Can you blame him. Hi taxes, shilty weather,  shilty owner and no playoff hopes.

You realize with that statement, that there are many people on these forums, that will say that those are the same reasons he would never come here.

10 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I may be in the minority, but I think Macc will give Hack an opportunity to start this season and will do so by gong after Hoyer (or another low level, relatively cheap vet FA) and having Petty push Hack. That will be the 3 QBs. Jets fans may not like it. But it makes sense b/c it will allow the Jets to see what they have in both Petty and Hack.

This means the Jets WILL NOT draft a QB early. It means they WILL NOT sign a high priced FA (T.Taylor, Glennon, Cousins).

I for one believe the Jets brass considerable confidence in Hack. I think they believe he can be a starter in 2017 and is way ahead of where a lot of fans (and reporters/beat writers) think he is as far as development.

I have no proof. I have no evidence. I just know Hack is a smart kid, hard worker, film/gym rat, and has all the tools and talent you look for in a QB. Although he was clearly inconsistent in the playing time he got in preseason, accuracy and pocket awareness were major issues, I also saw a lot of good things, a lot of things you don't see rookie QBs able to do- go through progressions, call audibles, read defenses, etc. That's just me.    

I absolutely agree with you, and have been saying this for months, bringing lots of verbal abuse upon myself in the process. I could see them bringing in a vet to keep the seat warm say, till week 5-6, then turn it over to Hack. I think last year was more to see if Petty could be a#2, not the long term solution. They know what they have in Hackenberg, and for once, I think the Jets will be proven correct.

Tyrod's contract isn't that bad.  He was the 18th highest paid QB and ranked 9th in the 2016 season for QBR and 7th the previous year.  According to Spotrac:

YEAR AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING BONUS ROSTER BONUS OPTION BONUS WORKOUT BONUS CAP HIT DEAD CAP
2016 26 $2,600,000 $813,333 $3,500,000 - $6,240 $6,919,573 $9,772,907
2017 27 $12,000,000 $813,334 - $3,100,000 - $15,913,334 $2,853,334
2018 28 $13,000,000 $680,000 - $3,100,000 - $16,780,000 -
2019 29 $13,600,000 $680,000 - $3,100,000 - $17,380,000 -
2020 30 $13,850,000 $680,000 - $3,100,000 - $17,630,000 -
2021 31 $14,550,000 - - $3,100,000 - $17,650,000 -

Contract Notes:

• $9.5 million guaranteed at signing (2016 base + signing bonus + 2016 roster bonus)
  • 2016 Roster Bonus: $3.5M
  • 2017 Option: $15.5M Option Bonus & $12M base salary & $3.25M of his 2018 salary fully guarantee on 3/11/2017
  • Remaining $9.75M of 2018 salary becomes fully guaranteed on the 3rd league day of 2018
  • Annual Bonus: $250,000 (50% playing time in the Super Bowl)
  • 2018-2021 Incentive: $500,000 (pased on pass/rush yards & touchdowns)
  • Additional $3M incentive available

4 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Tyrod's contract isn't that bad.  He was the 18th highest paid QB and ranked 9th in the 2016 season for QBR and 7th the previous year.  According to Spotrac:

YEAR AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING BONUS ROSTER BONUS OPTION BONUS WORKOUT BONUS CAP HIT DEAD CAP
2016 26 $2,600,000 $813,333 $3,500,000 - $6,240 $6,919,573 $9,772,907
2017 27 $12,000,000 $813,334 - $3,100,000 - $15,913,334 $2,853,334
2018 28 $13,000,000 $680,000 - $3,100,000 - $16,780,000 -
2019 29 $13,600,000 $680,000 - $3,100,000 - $17,380,000 -
2020 30 $13,850,000 $680,000 - $3,100,000 - $17,630,000 -
2021 31 $14,550,000 - - $3,100,000 - $17,650,000 -

Contract Notes:

• $9.5 million guaranteed at signing (2016 base + signing bonus + 2016 roster bonus)
  • 2016 Roster Bonus: $3.5M
  • 2017 Option: $15.5M Option Bonus & $12M base salary & $3.25M of his 2018 salary fully guarantee on 3/11/2017
  • Remaining $9.75M of 2018 salary becomes fully guaranteed on the 3rd league day of 2018
  • Annual Bonus: $250,000 (50% playing time in the Super Bowl)
  • 2018-2021 Incentive: $500,000 (pased on pass/rush yards & touchdowns)
  • Additional $3M incentive available

I don't think you are reading it correctly.  If they exercise his option, he gets another $15.5m bonus.  That gets pro-rated over his deal, but it will already be paid.  If they keep him it is basically another $30m guaranteed.

In 2017 the Bills can exercise a $15.5 million option on Taylor. If the Bills decline the option and fail to release Taylor, Taylor’s 2017 salary wil escalate to a fully guaranteed $27.5 million. If the Bills pick up the option an additional $27.5 million in fully guaranteed salary can be earned in 2017 and 2018. Taylor can also earn additional incentives for performance.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Tyrod?  sure!  I am more than looking forward to a weekly stat line of 9 for 17 for 145 yards and 65 yards rushing with 1 td and 1 int.  And he will be a bargain at $60 over 4 years!

Yawn.

Yeah Im sure he'll have similar stats with Marshall, Decker, Enunwa and Anderson that he had with Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin and trash

12 minutes ago, thadude said:

Yawn.

Yeah Im sure he'll have similar stats with Marshall, Decker, Enunwa and Anderson that he had with Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin and trash

Ah yes the old weaponzzz will make my fav QB a goliath comment.  If this is really your take then we should forget Taylor and resign Geno.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yup.  The Bills have until March 11th to exercise the option.  His contract is already set at these numbers, its just a matter of how much will become guaranteed.  It doesn't increase his numbers, just makes more guaranteed money which ties him up with the team.  If the Bills exercise the option, then they are on the hook for 2017 and $3.25M of this 2018 salary, plus his $15.5M option bonus.  At the end of the day, his cap charge is still middle of the league.

5 minutes ago, thadude said:

Watkins barely appeared in 8 games last season with a broken foot

Great comeback tho

Watkins career stats.....153 catches, 2460 yards 17 tds, 16.5 ypc.  In 21 games with Taylor, 88catches, 1450 yards, 11tds, 16 ypc. Yeah you're right, he was no help. The Jets would trade any player on this team, save Leo, for Watkins.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Ah yes the old weaponzzz will make my fav QB a goliath comment.  If this is really your take then we should forget Taylor and resign Geno.

You mean the same Geno who had those weapons last year and sucked

Taylor is a good player.  You don't think so.  Great lets have another embarrassing miserable year but this time with Bryce Putrid and Christina Wackinburger

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Watkins career stats.....153 catches, 2460 yards 17 tds, 16.5 ypc.  In 21 games with Taylor, 88catches, 1450 yards, 11tds, 16 ypc. Yeah you're right, he was no help. The Jets would trade any player on this team, save Leo, for Watkins.

Dude Watkins barely played last year do you want me to rewrite history to fit your half-assed argument? 

12 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

First off all playoff team are looking for a Qb that protects the football .  Tyrod Taylor does just that. Why they would prefer him to Glennon.

Arizona would have been number 1 on the list.( C Palmer coming back they are probably out).

So let's see Denver , Maybe Steelers( depending if Big Ben retires) , Houston, Chicago, Jaguars, and 49ers.    Browns expect them to trade for J Garoppolo ? 

Let me ask you a question you're the Bronco's.   Who would you rather have - a brittle Tony Romo( behind a shaky offense line) or Tyrod Taylor.

That's because he's afraid to throw the ball in the middle of the field and he only throws to guys if they're open.  

Just now, thadude said:

Nauseating and would be jet-like

Maybe.  But Richardson has no future in NY and Romo has no future in Dallas.  No team is giving up a good pick for Richardson.  He'd fit in Dallas.  

So do you trade Richardson for something like a 5th round pick or do you try to get a guy who could possibly give you two or three years of good QB play?

6 minutes ago, thadude said:

Dude Watkins barely played last year do you want me to rewrite history to fit your half-assed argument? 

7 minutes ago, thadude said:

I know he only played in 8 games last year, that's why I put in Watkins two years with Taylor, to show his impact on Taylor's success. Of Taylor's 37 td's over 2 years, 11 went to Watkins. That's 30%. If you think Watkins is garbage, then I can see why you love the Jets receivers so much. Tell me, which Jet receiver would Buffalo take in a trade, straight up, for Watkins? Don Maynard, Wesley Walker and Al Toon don't count.

Archived