Contract Expired - The End Of Ryan Fitzpatrick

SAR I

superryan_zps8ameskux.jpg

So today's the day Ryan Fitzpatrick separates from the Jets and while we didn't achieve the ultimate goal I thought it worth a thread to thank the man for his tireless efforts to help our moribund franchise restore a modicum of respectability.

He joined us as a backup, rushed into active duty virtually unprepared, became the leader of the most prolific offense in team history, and fell back as journeymen do.  But he did it with pride and dignity and for that we tip our caps and say thank you.

SAR I

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to thank him for holding out and making the team pay him $12 mil and promptly going out and flushing the season down the drain with his historically bad play at QB.  Then adding levity to the season claiming no one supported him.

Dont let the door smack you in the ass on the way out.  For 2016 you will go down as one of the worst starting QBs in the history of the NY Jets, in the history of football, congrats. 

41 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I want to thank him for holding out and making the team pay him $12 mil and promptly going out and flushing the season down the drain with his historically bad play at QB.  Then adding levity to the season claiming no one supported him.

Dont let the door smack you in the ass on the way out.  For 2015 you will go down as one of the worst starting QBs in the history of the NY Jets, congrats. 

I focus on the good times.  Two years ago was the best I felt being a Jets fan for a long time.  Don't begrudge him the $12M, I'd do the same thing if I were him/his agent and so would you.  The Jets didn't have to pay him, but they did.

1 hour ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I focus on the good times.  Two years ago was the best I felt being a Jets fan for a long time.  Don't begrudge him the $12M, I'd do the same thing if I were him/his agent and so would you.  The Jets didn't have to pay him, but they did.

If you're going to hold out for more than you're worth at least deliver mediocre results.  And don't take the team down with you only to whine about respect

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

So today's the day Ryan Fitzpatrick separates from the Jets and while we didn't achieve the ultimate goal I thought it worth a thread to thank the man for his tireless efforts to help our moribund franchise restore a modicum of respectability.

He joined us as a backup, rushed into active duty virtually unprepared, became the leader of the most prolific offense in team history, and fell back as journeymen do.  But he did it with pride and dignity and for that we tip our caps and say thank you.

SAR I

i don't know that he did it with pride and dignity.  if petty's assessment is to be believed, fitz was more than a little snippy.  imo there was a lot of stuff going on that originated outside of the world of football. and his holdout, though not entirely his fault, did more damage to the team than initially thought.  the key word is team.

Shame on the Jets for protracting his folly of contract "stick 'em up" for as long as they did. It is the Jets fault that they allowed it to take place, and it probably allowed a lot of the locker room to feel that they have the team over a barrel in some manner, and that may have led to some of the circus atmosphere this year,

I hope it is good bye Fitzpatrick, with minimal thanks. 

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Dont let the door smack you in the ass on the way out.  For 2016 you will go down as one of the worst starting QBs in the history of the NY Jets, in the history of football, congrats. 

^THIS  +1

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

He deserves not one single thank you from any of us.  Fcked us over royally.  Fraud.  You rip Pennington constantly but not  Fitz? Interesting. Both were smart.  Both had weak arms.  Pennington was accurate.  Fitz is inaccurate. Both gave us false hopes and promises.  Both screwed us at the end of seasons, Fitz vs Buffalo and Pennington in the playoffs.  Very similar.

55 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Shame on the Jets for protracting his folly of contract "stick 'em up" for as long as they did. It is the Jets fault that they allowed it to take place, and it probably allowed a lot of the locker room to feel that they have the team over a barrel in some manner, and that may have led to some of the circus atmosphere this year,

I hope it is good bye Fitzpatrick, with minimal thanks. 

This.  

I believe that Fitz played the business side against the football side to get his contract.  The organization failed the team and the fans.  It is their job to hold the line against the players.  Bowles' comments did not help-very unprofessional. 

Trading for him in 2015 was a smart move and a fair price.  He exceeded expectations.

Fitz is a principled guy and had a point.  The Jets had no other credible starting QB, so he thought it was unjust to take backup money to be a starter.

The more fair deal was 750k per game started plus a playoff bonus.   By not having other QBs, and not coaching what we had correctly and not protecting them, the Jets created their own mess with Fitz.  They will pay the price for this for at last the next year.

The guy provided sOme of the best Qbin this team has seen for ages in his 1st year here.  Was terrible in year two, which just fit him in with the entire rest of the roster save about 3 players.

I expect to still see his name in every second post this ff season when we are talking about Qbing, that won't change.

14 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Remember when they offered him three?

And just so everyone knows, it's not technically a hold out if there is no contract. It was just negotiations. 

What was that deal? I want to say it was 3 years and 24 million? So 8 million a year? 

Ya, not happy they offered him that, but it wasn't outrageous really. I was never a huge fan of his, but I understand why he held out... But I guess it "worked out" more or less, for this offseason plan.

Hopefully the front office/coach has learned not to let a "scrubby" player like Fitzpatrick hold
the offseason hostage.  They should've set a hard take it or leave it date in the negotiations
and moved on.  I'll never believe Fitzpatrick wasn't negatively impacted by not being in the facility
for seven months developing chemistry with the new offensive players we were bringing in    

Another failed idea.  Another disappointment.  Another heartbreaker when we looked headed for something decent.

I.e. Fitzy is yet another penultimate NY Jets QB.  Gave hope, tore hope from heart as painfully as possible in as massive a failure as was possible.

Toss him on the pile of sh*te along with Geno, Sanchez and a dozen other woulda-coulda-shouldas.

The past is past, Next man up.

3 hours ago, prime21 said:

I think he should focus on coaching.  He woukd be a good mentor for young QB's and could become a really good QB coach.  Give up the quest to be a starting QB.  

possibly. but he's not known for his mechanics & decision making..

11 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

What was that deal? I want to say it was 3 years and 24 million? So 8 million a year? 

Ya, not happy they offered him that, but it wasn't outrageous really. I was never a huge fan of his, but I understand why he held out... But I guess it "worked out" more or less, for this offseason plan.

Yeah something like that, with guaranteed money the first two seasons. So the deal he took actually saved the Jets money. 

And let's not forget, Ryan Fitzpatrick never happens if Geno Smith was anything resembling a decent quarterback. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yeah something like that, with guaranteed money the first two seasons. So the deal he took actually saved the Jets money. 

And let's not forget, Ryan Fitzpatrick never happens if Geno Smith was anything resembling a decent quarterback. 

I feel like Geno had a chance to develop into a decent QB... Decent, not great. But his play-style and bad luck got him hurt and he was never able to figure out how to be a leader... I really did think he had the basis to become an OK guy around the league, but just kind of let it slip. 

I always felt there was a strong probability that Mac did not want to pay Fitz anywhere close to what he wanted and signed him as a last ditch effort because the coaching staff told him the team didn't have a competent starter otherwise. With Geno, Petty and openly redshirted Hackenburg this is not out of the realm of possibility. Of course, I also believe there is a fair probability that Mac wanted to sign Fitz and Fitz knew it and just held out for the best possible contract until the bitter end.

Either way, it doesn't matter now. The contract is over, Fitz will be gone. Geno will be gone. The whole QB garbage about the two is over. That's a sad victory over the state of discussion the last two years.

36 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'll never believe Fitzpatrick wasn't negatively impacted by not being in the facility
for seven months developing chemistry with the new offensive players we were bringing in    

This can never be overstated enough!!  While Fitzpatrick was hanging out with his family, throwing footballs to his children he lost his rapport with his own skill players.

Just awful on the part of all parties.. 

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Another failed idea.  Another disappointment.  Another heartbreaker when we looked headed for something decent.

I.e. Fitzy is yet another penultimate NY Jets QB.  Gave hope, tore hope from heart as painfully as possible in as massive a failure as was possible.

Toss him on the pile of sh*te along with Geno, Sanchez and a dozen other woulda-coulda-shouldas.

The past is past, Next man up.

Outstanding post. Cosigned. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

He deserves not one single thank you from any of us.  Fcked us over royally.  Fraud.  You rip Pennington constantly but not  Fitz? Interesting. Both were smart.  Both had weak arms.  Pennington was accurate.  Fitz is inaccurate. Both gave us false hopes and promises.  Both screwed us at the end of seasons, Fitz vs Buffalo and Pennington in the playoffs.  Very similar.

Similar my ass. Fitz never sniffed the playoffs in his friggin life. Chad won two playoff games. They are not even on the same planet. Chad was derailed by injuries, Fitz because he sucks. Glad that loser , piece of crap, is gone.

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Similar my ass. Fitz never sniffed the playoffs in his friggin life. Chad won two playoff games. They are not even on the same planet. Chad was derailed by injuries, Fitz because he sucks. Glad that loser , piece of crap, is gone.

Oh I agree completely.  I was just pointing out the lack of logic in hating Pennington but at the same time thinking that Fitzpatrick was any good for this team.  Pennigton was infinitely better than the fraud journeyman we had here for two seasons.  Fitz never made a single playoff game in his long, transient history in the NFL.  I just don't get how anyone in their right mind could praise him for what he did while at the same time bashing a much more capable QB who gave us a hell of a better ride than the charlatan with a beard.

Fitzpatrick will be nothing in Jets lore but a silly afterthought.  He sucks and always has from the day he entered the NFL.  Even Sanchez was better and Sanchez was never starter material anyway.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Oh I agree completely.  I was just pointing out the lack of logic in hating Pennington but at the same time thinking that Fitzpatrick was any good for this team.  Pennigton was infinitely better than the fraud journeyman we had here for two seasons.  Fitz never made a single playoff game in his long, transient history in the NFL.  I just don't get how anyone in their right mind could praise him for what he did while at the same time bashing a much more capable QB who gave us a hell of a better ride than the charlatan with a beard.

Fitzpatrick will be nothing in Jets lore but a silly afterthought.  He sucks and always has from the day he entered the NFL.  

Great line. I apologize, didn't mean to seem like I was attacking you. I just can 't stand, like you so eloquently put it above, how people can even compare the effort, class, hard work and results that Chad gave us vs. the embarrassment that Fitzpatrick was to us. 

Archived