$1000 a week for life, what would you do?

Maxman

Donate more than usual to homeless vets and the local food bank. Be careful about the former, there are a lot of scumbags out there.  Stay in Italy whenever possible to glut myself silly, help out family, buy someone lunch anonymously everyday instead of few times a year (I love doing that), bank the rest. 

Not to be a downer but $1,000 week is only 52k per year before taxes.  Good coin to get on top of whatever you already have, sure, but not a significantly life-changing source of income. 

I'd rather forego the $1,000 per week and take whatever lump sum option is available. 

Ya the payout here depends...

Some states make you an offer with these kinds of things. It's 52K a year, and then they factor in your age and offer you a lump sum instead to cover X amount of years... So if you're let's say 40, they may come to you with 52K x 40 and give you a lump of  2 Million or so, before taxes.

Some people take that, while others are willing to bet they'll live longer than what the lottery would payout... Live longer and you eventually come out on top, but you miss out on getting it all at once.

Also, charity would be a big thing, but I'd also take a few trips, buy a state of the art computer, tv, and a few other electronics, invest, and maybe even open my own business somewhere down the line.

6 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Ya the payout here depends...

Some states make you an offer with these kinds of things. It's 52K a year, and then they factor in your age and offer you a lump sum instead to cover X amount of years... So if you're let's say 40, they may come to you with 52K x 40 and give you a lump of  2 Million or so, before taxes.

Some people take that, while others are willing to bet they'll live longer than what the lottery would payout... Live longer and you eventually come out on top, but you miss out on getting it all at once.

Lump sum is ALWAYS the better choice.  You never know what tomorrow will bring and, obviously, a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow.  Take that lump sum and invest, baby, invest!

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Lump sum is ALWAYS the better choice.  You never know what tomorrow will bring and, obviously, a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow.  Take that lump sum and invest, baby, invest!

Yup I agree! Get that lump sum, deal with being sick to your stomach over the taxes you pay, and then enjoy!

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not to be a downer but $1,000 week is only 52k per year before taxes.  Good coin to get on top of whatever you already have, sure, but not a significantly life-changing source of income. 

I'd rather forego the $1,000 per week and take whatever lump sum option is available. 

Depends on where you live. In places like San Francisco, $52k is near poverty-level. Around where I am (downstate Illinois), you can live quite comfortably on $52,000 per year.

Yeah, we're trashy. 

19896541f650b6a89b2b0b90c0a89018.jpg

On 2/10/2017 at 0:07 AM, Maxman said:

I never play the lottery but I saw this commercial. What would you do if you won?

Me? Lots of traveling in the RV. Quit my job. Run JetNation from the road. And go to every home and away game!

If I won a legit lottery (that 1k a week is chump change), I would:

Retire.

Read books.

Travel.

Write books.

Moar Univ. Degrees.

Play Music.

Save Cats.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I'd work for two years, pay off all my debt, then go buy a small hut on the coast of Belize and never wear a shirt again. 

Some factory in China just laid off 4 works on the Jeter \ Medium line.

I never play the lottery but I saw this commercial. What would you do if you won?

Me? Lots of traveling in the RV. Quit my job. Run JetNation from the road. And go to every home and away game!

$1,000 a week is not that much anymore.  You have kids that need college?  Healthcare? In 10 years that will feel like $500 a week and you will feel poor.

Id probably donate $500 a week of it to my 3 favorite charities and the remainder I would simply enjoy a few more pleasures in life.

On 2/10/2017 at 10:48 AM, chirorob said:

I'm boring.   Overpay the mortgage so it's done before my kids hit college, use it to pay for college.  Retire earlier.

This is what I did. I'm early 50's, no mortgage, kids out of college and like you, as a professional, I make a good living.  All it took was saving an additional say $200 to $500 a month when all my buddies were spending $3,000 a year on Disney or a cruise. Now Im on easy street.

52K a year would be enough to let you do that? 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

$1,000 a week is not that much anymore.  You have kids that need college?  Healthcare? In 10 years that will feel like $500 a week and you will feel poor.

Id probably donate $500 a week of it to my 3 favorite charities and the remainder I would simply enjoy a few more pleasures in life.

It is enough money for me. I would take out a big life insurance policy and then I would be okay with a bunch of revolving debt. When I go, the insurance pays for it all. Until then I enjoy it all every second of the day!

Just to clarify - I would still have to work. Just would work for myself.

On 2/10/2017 at 10:42 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't think this lottery lets you do that. But the lump sum is always better than an annuity with a lottery.

Think about winning a million dollars. 20 year annuity and taxes get taken out. You get a 5 figure check each year and everyone you know hits you up for stuff every single day. Kind of a nightmare actually.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I don't think this lottery lets you do that. But the lump sum is always better than an annuity with a lottery.

Think about winning a million dollars. 20 year annuity and taxes get taken out. You get a 5 figure check each year and everyone you know hits you up for stuff every single day. Kind of a nightmare actually.

There's almost always a lump sum option if you read the fine print.  The taxes would suck but you get those taken out of the $1,000 payments also.  So if you're going to get taxed either way, give me as much upfront money as I can get and be done with it. 

And whether it's $1,000 a week or a lump sum, I have a feeling people will hit you up no matter what.  Just have to be smart about the money and tell everyone other than legit charities you care about to f*ck off. 

48 minutes ago, Maxman said:

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's almost always a lump sum option if you read the fine print.  The taxes would suck but you get those taken out of the $1,000 payments also.  So if you're going to get taxed either way, give me as much upfront money as I can get and be done with it. 

And whether it's $1,000 a week or a lump sum, I have a feeling people will hit you up no matter what.  Just have to be smart about the money and tell everyone other than legit charities you care about to f*ck off. 

When I lived in NY (moved to NC in 95), I had 2 NY lottery winners as clients.  Both were big winners, one was receiving about $150,000 a year for life and the other a little less.

Both were BROKE. Over extended on real estate etc.   remember, NYC real estate in the late 80's was in the toilet. Co-op apartments were being given away.

I took from it a salient point....  those who can't seem to earn the money, absolutely dont have the "brains" to manage it.  Similar to pro athletes, unless its BIG dollars, most of these guys are broke 3-5 years after sports. 

On 2/10/2017 at 10:42 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure is funny how things change over time.  Hearing about that as a kid seemed like such an amazing amount of money.  These days it's a more a matter of thinking "well that would be nice to have some extra money".  Some extra savings, perhaps a nicer place to live, a few trips, and yep... it's gone.

11 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

When I lived in NY (moved to NC in 95), I had 2 NY lottery winners as clients.  Both were big winners, one was receiving about $150,000 a year for life and the other a little less.

Both were BROKE. Over extended on real estate etc.   remember, NYC real estate in the late 80's was in the toilet. Co-op apartments were being given away.

I took from it a salient point....  those who can't seem to earn the money, absolutely dont have the "brains" to manage it.  Similar to pro athletes, unless its BIG dollars, most of these guys are broke 3-5 years after sports. 

Well along those lines then winning the $1000 a week for life would suck. Because it is really just a supplement. Unless I wanted to live in my RV like I joked about earlier.

My kids college costs more than what I would take home.

Fishing and living off the land might be the best bet. Along with the Jets games. Although I might have to just stay in the parking lot as I couldn't afford the seats inside lol.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Well along those lines then winning the $1000 a week for life would suck. Because it is really just a supplement. Unless I wanted to live in my RV like I joked about earlier.

My kids college costs more than what I would take home.

Fishing and living off the land might be the best bet. Along with the Jets games. Although I might have to just stay in the parking lot as I couldn't afford the seats inside lol.

Could you even afford the parking pass?

Archived