Leonard Fournette vs Malik Hooker

Sarge4Tide

Fournette vs Hooker?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. If it came down to Leonard Fournette vs Malik Hooker, I would prefer......

• Fournette by a WIDE country mile
    • Fournette
    • Fournette by a small margin
    • Either one, I'm fine with either
    • Hooker by a small margin
    • Hooker
    • Hooker by a WIDE country mile

I really think this is a tougher question then people may give it credit for... A lot of people will think a saftey at 6 is crazy... And maybe it is, what do I know?... 

But I also believe that Fournette comes with a lot more risk then we're talking about yet. One source called his ankle problems "chronic"... He's also a bruiser of a RB who lowers his shoulder and runs into guys on every play. He gets banged up and he has a lot of snaps, hard runs, and big hits already. He is an allpro if he's healthy. But if he's not, and he goes through a bunch of minor injuries, it's going to look like a massive waste.

On the other hand Hooker may end up being a good, valuable piece, albeit at a position that most don't consider vital... So even at his best he may look like a reach at 6. 

So I'll go with Fournette by a bit just because at 6, he's probably worth the risk. He's such a high-reward guy if he can stay on the field. I don't know how they pass him up unless his medicals come out and look really bad.

IF (could be a big if) Fournette's medicals clear out well and his longevity isn't a question mark, then him by a mile. Think of it this way - regardless of what you think of the RB position, if Adrian Peterson (Fournette is considered the best RB prospect since AP) came out this season, would you take him at 6?

BUT I do think that Hooker has big play ball-hawk written all over him and would not be mad with the pick, the Jets need all the help they can get defending the deep ball.

Hooker. Fournette's style and injury history concern me and I don't think the Jets are a great situation (no passing game to prevent teams from stacking the box, not a great offensive line) for a back like Fournette who needs room to get downhill. Plus the track record of first round backs is bad. And don't give me Zeke who was running behind the best OL in the league. Not the same situation for the Jets.

Safeties have been part of some awesome defenses too - I think Seattle missed Earl Thomas a lot after he got hurt. Hooker is a one year guy which makes him a little risky but he's big, rangy, and athletic. I think he drops a bit since he can't do anything at the combine post surgery (I believe) and to be honest I don't think the Jets draft either - but given a choice I'd take Hooker.

With the 6th pick of the 2nd round, the right pick is D'Onta Freeman.  I think he will turn out to be as valuable an NFL player than both Fournette or Hooker, and certainly the better value pick -- even more so if the Jets hit a home run with the 1st round pick. If you think Hooker is a #6 overall talent, you can have your cake and eat it too.  Foreman is not as fast as Fournette but, I would bet their 10 yard splits are comparable. Both put a big hurt on anyone tackling them. Foreman is a better pass blocker.  Foreman should be there -- Fournette, McCaffrey and possibly Cook should come off the board first.

14 hours ago, rangerous said:

fournette  over hooker.  i don't follow college football at all.  the draft tracker has both fournette and hooker ranked at the top of their positons but fournette is ranked higher but, more importantly, he's got greater separation than hooker has for the next guy.

Everyone will have a different view, but I see it as Ed Reed vs. Herschel Walker, or Earl Campbell.   I think Adrian Peterson was more shifty than Fournette who is more of a power back.  If we draft him he will become the centerpiece of our offense and help whatever QB is back there because it requires gang tackling to get him down, but I don't think he can be effective in the NFL without a good offensive line. 

14 hours ago, rangerous said:

fournette  over hooker.  i don't follow college football at all.  the draft tracker has both fournette and hooker ranked at the top of their positons but fournette is ranked higher but, more importantly, he's got greater separation than hooker has for the next guy.

The two top safeties are neck and neck as far as I can tell (both top 10 picks) and they may both may be picked before Fournette.  There also is a debate regarding Fournette, or Dalvin Cook, so Fournette definitely has some competition.  Depends if you like power backs (Fournettte) or shifty backs (Cook), both are great in their respective styles of play. 

Everyone says can't take a Safety at 6, but then most say once Earl Thomas went down for Seattle their defense wasn't the same, and others say once KC got Berry back the defense became great again, so explain to me how A true difference maker at Safety isn't an important position again, and worth the 6th overall pick (if Hooker is graded out as a true difference maker which it looks like he is).

Fournette would be a great building block to reforming our future offense. We have a young crew of WRs for Hackenburg and adding a playmaker RB would create balance and take pressure off him.  Injuries may be a concern but  nobody in this sport goes unscathed. With comparisons to Adrian Peterson it's hard to pass on a prospect like him. 

Malik Hooker is also worthy of the 6th pick. Here would be an asset to our pass defense for years to come. Defending the deep ball was a major issue last season and Hooker excels in covering the entire field. 

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Everyone says can't take a Safety at 6, but then most say once Earl Thomas went down for Seattle their defense wasn't the same, and others say once KC got Berry back the defense became great again, so explain to me how A true difference maker at Safety isn't an important position again, and worth the 6th overall pick (if Hooker is graded out as a true difference maker which it looks like he is).

this can be said of bob sanders when he was playing for the colts during their superbowl run.  that team played way better with him in the line up.  as a matter of fact the jets played better with pryor in during the 2015 season.   when he went out, the play suffered.

19 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

With the 6th pick of the 2nd round, the right pick is D'Onta Freeman.  I think he will turn out to be as valuable an NFL player than both Fournette or Hooker, and certainly the better value pick -- even more so if the Jets hit a home run with the 1st round pick. If you think Hooker is a #6 overall talent, you can have your cake and eat it too.  Foreman is not as fast as Fournette but, I would bet their 10 yard splits are comparable. Both put a big hurt on anyone tackling them. Foreman is a better pass blocker.  Foreman should be there -- Fournette, McCaffrey and possibly Cook should come off the board first.

He'll probably be there in the 3rd, but I like this player .

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Neither of these players are what I would consider Premium position players, so why would I even consider drafting any of em with a high 1st round pick .

Because a top RB can help a young QB, oline, WRs, and D.  If Fournette is there at 6, I take him w/o hesitation.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

So if Fournette is the pick, do the Jets try to move Forte or Powell?

Neither because Forte is unmoveable and Powell is needed. They aren't drafting Fournette but should draft a running back in the middle rounds. Lots of gems there without the injury history and a better track record of being a three down back. 

Fournette scares the snot of me with his injury history and running style.  And I hate the thought of a RB at #6.  I dont exactly like a S at #6 but I think I like it better than RB.

That said, Hooker is a one year wonder and scares the hell out of me too.  I know people want to compare him to Thomas and Berry but those dudes were really good for at least 2 years in college.  I'm wondering if Adams is the better call, to be honest.   He's a much more proven product playing much better competition. 

On 2/11/2017 at 4:37 PM, Tinstar said:

He'll probably be there in the 3rd, but I like this player .

I just watched some highlights of Foreman and he looks like a beast.  For someone his size, he was surprisingly fast.  If this draft is deep at CB like they're saying, then perhaps getting one of the top safeties at #6 is the right way to go instead of CB there.  One of the top safeties in the first, then Foreman in the 2nd, and then either an OL, CB or TE in the 3rd, depending on bpa.

Archived