Leonard Fournette vs Malik Hooker

Sarge4Tide

Fournette vs Hooker?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. If it came down to Leonard Fournette vs Malik Hooker, I would prefer......

• Fournette by a WIDE country mile
    • Fournette
    • Fournette by a small margin
    • Either one, I'm fine with either
    • Hooker by a small margin
    • Hooker
    • Hooker by a WIDE country mile

It's always fun to see who college players are compared to:  Jamal Adams the Safety out of LSU all reports had him as the next Sean Taylor.  Fournette as a combination of BO Jackson and Adrian Peterson.  Hooker to Ed Reed 

While later in the draft, a team might find a RB like Foreman or the kid Conner out of PITT who if you listen to some defensive players coming out in the draft this year stated that Conner is one of the harder guys to tackle that they have faced.  That's high praise for a guy projected to go in the 4th-6th round.

While I believe there is a strong possibility that the Jaguars select Fournette to be the guy to help their young QB out, if he is there at 6 and the Jets are going to go into the season with either Hackenberg or Petty then I would use the same argument to draft Fournette to help our young QB as well.

one scouting report ...

McCaffrey might be one of the most electric triple threats to enter the NFL in the past decade. The junior is a dynamic runner/receiver/returner with the potential to score from anywhere on the field. In three seasons on The Farm, McCaffrey amassed nearly 7,000 all-purpose yards and 33 total touchdowns. He shattered Barry Sanders' single-season record for all-purpose yardage (3,249) with 3,864 yards as a sophomore while showcasing a flashy running style that looks like it's straight from a video game.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I am not a fan of taking a safety or a running back this early in the draft.  Fournette's running style makes for a short career, he may be very good during that time but there are running backs later in the draft.  Let's face it the offensive line makes the running back and I'm not sure he will have much left by the time our line is top notch.  As far as safeties go we have a couple of young ones that I would rather see us develop and maybe take one in the middle rounds.  Pass rusher, QB, and cornerback are much more needed now.

14 hours ago, Dunnie said:
20 hours ago, PepPep said:
You're kidding, right? Please tell me you are joking. You're not???

Nope ... Fournette is way to injury prone. Trade down and take McCaffrey if you want a RB.

So no NFL RB has never had a high ankle sprain before. And that makes Fournette injury prone :rolleyes:

My two cents:

Neither RB nor S is a premium position. With a top 6 pick I really think you want a QB, WR, LT, DL/OLB, or CB. Elite talent at those positions are harder to come by later in the draft. You can get good backs and safeties later on.

I don't think Leonard Fournette is the next Adrian Peterson. I think he's the next Darren McFadden. But the physical ability and upside is certainly there, and I'd take him over any safety outside of an Ed Reed type... I still think if I were forced to take a RB at 6 I'd take Dalvin Cook though. 

34 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

My two cents:

Neither RB nor S is a premium position. With a top 6 pick I really think you want a QB, WR, LT, DL/OLB, or CB. Elite talent at those positions are harder to come by later in the draft. You can get good backs and safeties later on.

I don't think Leonard Fournette is the next Adrian Peterson. I think he's the next Darren McFadden. But the physical ability and upside is certainly there, and I'd take him over any safety outside of an Ed Reed type... I still think if I were forced to take a RB at 6 I'd take Dalvin Cook though. 

I actually disagree about safety not being a premium position.  Not only can teams simply avoid a "shutdown CB" if the rest of the secondary is weak, but smart teams utilize the short passing game in today's NFL and having a player that can walk down and cover a WR while at the same time being able to help in run support is extremely valuable. 

Hooker does scare me from an experience standpoint which is why if we are going to go safety Jamal Adams is a safer bet.  He is a better tackler then hooker and is athletic to be good in coverage.  Plus he is an exceptionally high character guy which this team really needs. Id have no problem with that pick at 6

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

I actually disagree about safety not being a premium position.  Not only can teams simply avoid a "shutdown CB" if the rest of the secondary is weak, but smart teams utilize the short passing game in today's NFL and having a player that can walk down and cover a WR while at the same time being able to help in run support is extremely valuable. 

Hooker does scare me from an experience standpoint which is why if we are going to go safety Jamal Adams is a safer bet.  He is a better tackler then hooker and is athletic to be good in coverage.  Plus he is an exceptionally high character guy which this team really needs. Id have no problem with that pick at 6

I just see very few true impact safeties in the NFL today. Outside of Earl Thomas, and maybe Landon Collins or Eric Berry who else is there? In the grand scheme of "premium positions" I still think it's about QBs, offensive playmakers, blindside protectors, pass rushers, and shutdown corners.

There are some safeties who you couldn't literally build a defense around-they play more like CBS.   Sean Taylor, Kenny Easley.   Played to like that could be worth the 6th pick, if they are that good.

Adrian Peterson is also worth the 6th pick.   The big issue I have with Fournette is his playing style and injury history.   

Archived