Darron Lee All rookie team

Joejet

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Linebacker: Darron Lee, New York Jets

Draft position: Round 1, No. 20 overall.

Like Jones, Lee is a linebacker who thrives in a game built on speed. He has a chance to be a future star. He finished with 73 tackles -- that's a lot of tackles for someone who started just nine times (out of 13 games).

Quit that, haven't you gotten the Jet fan Memo on this kid . That memo is the be all say all about that kid .

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, AFJF said:

As I said, he's not perfect, but we did see him make some plays using a combination of anticipation and speed/burst to make a tackle.

I'm not even saying he'll justify the first-round status, but to write him off after one season of so-so production is far too premature, but that's what we do nowadays.

Picked in the first round but not perfect?  Instant "bust" label.

I don't think it helped that he was rarely called upon to get after the quarterback.  Why not let him use a combination of his speed and stature/bend to get underneath blockers on the edge to get to the QB?  Hoping we see more of that next season.

All of that being said...I would've preferred a QB in that spot.

I too was hoping for Lynch but I think with experience and a couple of years in the weight room Lee is going to be very good.

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Darron Lee, the Kyle Wilson of coverage linebackers.   Gets himself in position to make a play, but doesn't turn his head around to locate the ball so he never does.

Stop with the head turn, it's laughable when someone goes on and on about a rookie LB not turning his head enough and makes it into a career issue.  73 tackles in 9 games say you're wasting everyone's time with your analysis.  

Nothing abouts Lees rookie season spells the doom and gloom you and a couple of Internet experts have been predicting from day 1.

Darron Lee, the Kyle Wilson of coverage linebackers.   Gets himself in position to make a play, but doesn't turn his head around to locate the ball so he never does.

wrong ... Wilson was ridiculously clueless ... Lee needs to brush up his angles and work on coverage a bit. He will prove to be a great pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

A bit of sympathy for the guy - you can't expect him to be making up for a secondary that stank & an underperforming defensive front on his own surely.

Decent first season from the guy given the role he was expected to play in the defense, although I would agree that you'd expect your first round pick to be a serious difference maker, especially considering the players we passed up on to draft him.

2 hours ago, JETdawg1389 said:

A bit of sympathy for the guy - you can't expect him to be making up for a secondary that stank & an underperforming defensive front on his own surely.

Decent first season from the guy given the role he was expected to play in the defense, although I would agree that you'd expect your first round pick to be a serious difference maker, especially considering the players we passed up on to draft him.

Darrin Lee is Jonathan Vilma

Needs to play in 4-3

23 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Amazing how you guys bash Lee endlessly yet make every excuse in the universe for Hackenberg

On 2/12/2017 at 7:45 AM, AFJF said:

This is the problem nowadays.  We're so football obsessed that we put every single play under the microscope and if somebody decides they don't like a player, they ignore anything they do well and only want to talk about any flaws/imperfections in their game.

Lee didn't have the impact many of us would have liked last season, but he did some things very well.  It's not like the guy showed up and couldn't do anything right.

He has some parts of his game that need work, but what rookie doesn't?

Curious as to what you saw that he did very well?

When you're a first round pick and a suspect one at that, you're going to come under the microscope.  Especially when you're billed to be something that you're literally nowhere close to being as a player.  And that's why it's alarming and why he's so heavily scrutinized.  When the part of the game you need t o work on, are the reasons why you were drafted so high...there is and should be legitimate concern.  

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Amazing how you guys bash Lee endlessly yet make every excuse in the universe for Hackenberg

Whoa!  Don't include me with that!  I bash Hackenberg constantly.   I think taking him anywhere before the 5th round was borderline indefensible.

And I am the guy that kept telling people Pryor sucked the whole time in 2015, when some began saying he played well early in the season.

You want something positive from me besides Leo Williams, Enunwa and Carpenter?  I give you Robby Anderson.  That's about it.

On 2/12/2017 at 7:58 AM, T0mShane said:

There's an expectation with first round picks that they'll also be special, game-changing players and there's nothing about Lee that suggests he'll ever be that. He has one unique trait--foot speed--and literally nothing else. 

B******T. Pure and simple. 

Speed is only ONE attribute that scouts were drooling over when analyzing Lee as a prospect.

He was a great leader on the football field at OSU, unrelenting motor, great instincts, great work ethic. Coaches talked about this non-stop. All coaches praise their players, but Lee was in particular specified as a hard-working player, constantly looking too improve. Lest we forget that he was a QB in high school and had to learn a new position, then earn a starting role on one of the most stacked, talented defenses in college football.

He is versatile. Scouts loved this about him. He can do a number of different things on the football field (in part due to his speed). And even if he can't any one of them expertly (this was one of his knocks), he has a ton of room to grow. At OSU Lee played both zone and man coverage, he was sent as an edge rusher, he was used as a spy, he was used to shoot the gaps and help stuff the run, etc. In general, he flew all over the field and made plays. Above all else, he was a play-maker. 

He put up great numbers. Unlike Hack, who had a poor showing in college before he was drafted, Lee put up great numbers and was an impact player. He won a national championship in 2014.  

He is a fantastic athlete. Speed and athleticism. These two aspects really pushed Lee over the top and made him a first round draft prospect. This was what made his potential or ceiling so high.

Sorry, you are flat-out wrong on this. Lee was drafted EXACTLY because scouts saw him immense potential as not only a 3 down LB but a play-maker. Maybe he will never become that, although we've already see flashes of what he can do, but when he was drafted that is exactly why he went in the first round.    

I feel like this is a quick sand trap of a thread... But eh, why not.

Lee is going to be a fine player. Last season he played too fast for his own good. If I had to choose I'll take a guy who played too fast over one who played too slow every damn time.

He needs to learn to cool the jets and play a little more deliberately. That's going to come with experience and practice.

I expect a good year from him now that he has a been understanding of the speed of an NFL game. He'll adapt.

16 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Speed is only ONE attribute that scouts were drooling over when analyzing Lee as a prospect.

He was a great leader on the football field at OSU, unrelenting motor, great instincts, great work ethic. Coaches talked about this non-stop. All coaches praise their players, but Lee was in particular specified as a hard-working player, constantly looking too improve. Lest we forget that he was a QB in high school and had to learn a new position, then earn a starting role on one of the most stacked, talented defenses in college football.

He is versatile. Scouts loved this about him. He can do a number of different things on the football field (in part due to his speed). And even if he can't any one of them expertly (this was one of his knocks), he has a ton of room to grow. At OSU Lee played both zone and man coverage, he was sent as an edge rusher, he was used as a spy, he was used to shoot the gaps and help stuff the run, etc. In general, he flew all over the field and made plays. Above all else, he was a play-maker. 

He put up great numbers. Unlike Hack, who had a poor showing in college before he was drafted, Lee put up great numbers and was an impact player. He won a national championship in 2014.  

He is a fantastic athlete. Speed and athleticism. These two aspects really pushed Lee over the top and made him a first round draft prospect. This was what made his potential or ceiling so high.

Sorry, you are flat-out wrong on this. Lee was drafted EXACTLY because scouts saw him immense potential as not only a 3 down LB but a play-maker. Maybe he will never become that, although we've already see flashes of what he can do, but when he was drafted that is exactly why he went in the first round.    

You just described Mark Herzlich.

13 minutes ago, PepPep said:

He has foot speed.But he was taken that high because it was thought he could cover backs and TEs. And at least in 2016 he didn't. Tackling stats are nice, but could mean some different things all at once; he gets to the ballcarrier(good), or team go right at him because of his inability to cover(not good). Recall in his original Jet tenure there were almost no numbers on Revis because they stayed away from him. 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You just described Mark Herzlich.

Lee is absolutely NOTHING like Herzlich, particularly as a prospect. Apart from having leadership qualities they are NOTHING alike. It's laughable at how poor your comparison is. Try harder. You could have said Duane Buchannon or almost any other 'versatile', speedy LB. Herzlich does not have the speed, athleticism, versatility and so on and so on that Lee has. Not to mention he had to overcome cancer, which derailed his career, to an extent. If this is a joke, fine, but I don't really get it. 

A better comparison would be Zach Brown. Whether Lee will turn into a better version of Zach Brown or a worse version of Zach Brown, or not like Zach Brown at all is yet to be seen. 

10 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Raider Greg Biekert habitually led the NFL in tackles all through the 1990s. Nobody is putting Greg Biekert in Canton. And nobody picked him in the 1st round either. 

Again, Lee is nothing like Herzlich. And he is nothing like Biekert (although Biekert was a great player and who cares if he was not a HOFer). He is just a completely different prospect and the amount of tackles he got is not at all why scouts liked Lee as a prospect. 

Archived