Lack of Options Force Jets to Attempt Clady Do-Over

JetNation

IMG_2036.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

Recently, NFL insider Jason La Canfora sent out a tweet claiming that the Jets are still interested in retaining offensive tackle Ryan Clady at a reduced rate next season, rather than pay him the $10 million he is scheduled to make for 2017.

Far from the player he once was as a 3-time All-Pro in Denver, Clady has battled serious injuries over the course of the past four years, forcing him to miss 37 games in that time.  Prior to the 2013 season, durability wasn’t an issue as Clady started 80 consecutive contests. Despite the injuries in recent years, Clady still has some value to the Jets.

With no other established veteran left tackles on the roster, a team-friendly re-negotiation is a prudent move by GM Mike Maccagnan who will probably still draft a left tackle to step in for Clady when his deal expires, or in the likely event he misses time due to injury.

IMG_4127-300x243.jpg

Ben Ijalana took over for the inured Clady over the season’s second half.

As preposterous as it may seem to entertain the notion of bringing back a player who has spent as much time on the shelf as Clady, just imagine how bad it would look should Gang Green find themselves getting even semi-quality quarterback play from either of their two young signal callers (Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty) or a potential draft pick/free agent addition if they’re injured or unable to continue to grow due to regular breakdowns in pass protection.

Clady’s possible return was a topic discussed at length by Jets fans right here on our forums and many seem to get it, as does Maccagnan. Bringing the veteran back in to the fold on an incentive-laden deal based on playing time would significantly reduce his cap number while giving the Jets O-line a proven veteran to protect their quarterback’s blind side while playing a role in bringing along a potential replacement that the team is likely to bring in.

All that’s left now, is for the two sides to come up with a fair number to make a move that makes perfect sense.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
A36B2oz7vJo

Click here to read the full story...

12 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

It would be a prudent move to bring Clady back with a better cap number. Health has been an issue, but he was playing well before his injury last season and at the right price it would be well worth it to bring him back.

Clady had his ups and downs during the time he played this season, but he's still a better LT than anyone else on the roster.  Wouldn't be shocked to see the Jets go OT in rd. 2 or 3.

What if--and stay with me here--what if--what if--the Jets, instead of giving a washed up vet premium money, went ahead and scouted, drafted, and actually tried to develop a young, cheap player...and then played that player even if it meant that young, cheap player made a few mistakes here and there because--(and this will blow ya mind)--even those expensive, washed up vets are making those mistakes too, but we don't freak out about it because that player, like, made a Pro Bowl once.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What if--and stay with me here--what if--what if--the Jets, instead of giving a washed up vet premium money, went ahead and scouted, drafted, and actually tried to develop a young, cheap player...and then played that player even if it meant that young, cheap player made a few mistakes here and there because--(and this will blow ya mind)--even those expensive, washed up vets are making those mistakes too, but we don't freak out about it because that player, like, made a Pro Bowl once.

I think that's what they're trying to do.  Get Clady back for NON-premium money, while they draft somebody to take the job from him at some point in the not-at-all distant future.

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I completely agree in theory, but the issue from the GM's standpoint is it handcuffs you a bit in the draft because you NEED to get a LT, he needs to be able to play right away, and everyone knows that you need the LT.

If there's a veteran option on the roster they don't need to reach for a dude or they can identify a project they like and go get him. This tackle class is really weak too so it's not easy to say you'll just find one this year.

Plus if they restructure Clady and draft someone the kid can just take over when Clady gets hurt week 6. Win-win.

Cut him. Rebuild the line with youth and let them grow together. If he will take a pay cut fine. I'm tired of these retreads taking a roster spot and cap space when sooner or later they end up injured or ineffective. You have to start somewhere and the time to do it is now. Enough of these guys who are resting on their accomplishments of the past. Time to scrap the old ways. They don't work anymore. or can't they see that?

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Like Darron Lee?  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Clady was a bad move at the time, and bringing him back now is a bad move.  

It will be interesting to see how the draft picks turn out;

Titans CB LeShaun Sims was selected with the Jets pick that was traded for Clady

and the very next pick was our own Brandon Shell, I think we gave Washington a decent 4th round pick this year, something to watch

have to assume Mac would have taken Shell with the original pick and saved the trade with Washington

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The difference between Clady and Ijalana last year was barely noticeable as both were below average. Unless it's a one year deal for very little money, I don't see the point. Macc's failure to move up last season and get a LT is the real issue. 

And it seems like every single OT taken in the first round last year is ending up looking like a stud

12 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Theres no LT in this draft that i want thats gonna be ready Day 1. LT is a position I don't want to reach for based on need.

I'm fine keeping Clady or another servicable vet until we draft a lt project that needs time or a blue chip one in '18, '19.

Isn't the kid from Utah now the #1 LT on the board? it's so hard now with all these mocks every other day, you can't keep these guys straight.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

because you have to win while you rebuild.  wait, no, that's just a made up thing

21 minutes ago, section314 said:

Isn't the kid from Utah now the #1 LT on the board? it's so hard now with all these mocks every other day, you can't keep these guys straight.

It's pretty up in the air right now, but Bolles (Utah tackle) turns 25 shortly after the draft which isn't ideal and may cause him to slip a bit.

Just now, T0mShane said:

1. I am with you... stop the BS with guys that aren't healthy, can not stay healthy and are almost washed up.  Just build the dam OL the correct way and have your OL intact for years.... geeze it isn't rocket science.  

33 minutes ago, section314 said:

He is, but from what I've been reading about him, scouts are split on him being a bust or not. He would be a 2nd rounder in other years. It's too important of a position to roll the dice on. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

When was the last time the Jets drafted a hall of fame player?  

2 hours ago, SOJ said:
  1. I am with you... stop the BS with guys that aren't healthy, can not stay healthy and are almost washed up.  Just build the dam OL the correct way and have your OL intact for years.... geeze it isn't rocket science.  

Yes!  And I would rather give the money to Ijilana who filled in at both Tackle positions.  He got the experience last year.  Let him and Shell get the shot at the tackle positions and draft another tackle in the 2nd.

Mac has received heat from some on this board for the Clady signing. I for one do not see it that way. When you take into consideration that the team was somewhat blind sided by the Brick retirement his hands were for the most part tied. Trying to resign Clady for a more reasonable amount is good business. If a more reasonable contact can not be worked out he will be released. It is tough still getting used to a front office with little to no leaks as to their intentions so it looks like a long off season with nothing more than speculation. Guess I am more of a glass half full than a glass half empty guy.

28 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Yes!  And I would rather give the money to Ijilana who filled in at both Tackle positions.  He got the experience last year.  Let him and Shell get the shot at the tackle positions and draft another tackle in the 2nd.

if the Jets go with Ijilana and and Shell as the starters next season, they better keep a priest on the sidelines for who ever plays QB

Archived