Keep this in mind regarding Hackenberg

TuscanyTile2

27 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Love the optimism... I'm rooting like hell for the kid.

I'm thinking that with Fitz gone he takes #14 back and looks great in training camp. [-o<

I have no idea if Hack will be any good but this shows it wouldn't be unprecedented for a highly regarded college QB to have a terrible year and then find his way again.

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

Can someone post a recap of what it says? I can't click the link, the electric is out in my house right now, so the sound won't play.

The video implies that Dan Marino according to many scouts was a reach and they felt that he needed to be developed when he was drafted.  

In truth I had forgotten that and that Marino was a surprise pick by Miami and that Marino like Hack had a bad last season.

IMO difference is Hack had bad sophomore and Junior years as well.

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Can someone post a recap of what it says? I can't click the link, the electric is out in my house right now, so the sound won't play.

It was a great video snippet and timely reminder.

Analysts very first words after the selection "I don't understand it". :)

Implied that Marino was a reach, was considered perhaps the best college QB prospect until his senior year and that he threw for more Ints and TDs in his final college year. Also said they had no clue who was going to coach him up down in Miami, "who is the QB coaching genius........I don't see where he's going to get this great coaching for the problems he's had." :)

58% Comp, 17TD/23INT

Hack fans take heart.

My recollection was that Marino was the best QB by far coming out that year and that the gambling issue was the cloud that hung over his head.  The Jets picked before Miami that year and the fans in the room were stunned that we passed on him.  

Where do you get this "reach" stuff is just beyond me.  

6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

The video implies that Dan Marino according to many scouts was a reach and they felt that he needed to be developed when he was drafted.  

In truth I had forgotten that and that Marino was a surprise pick by Miami and that Marino like Hack had a bad senior year.

IMO difference is Hack had bad sophomore and Junior years as well.

Hack had a bad Sophomore and Junior season period.  There was no Senior season.  Unless you want to consider his year with the Jets as his senior season and then yes he also had a bad senior season.

3 hours ago, The Walrus said:

It was a great video snippet and timely reminder.

Analysts very first words after the selection "I don't understand it". :)

Implied that Marino was a reach, was considered perhaps the best college QB prospect until his senior year and that he threw for more Ints and TDs in his final college year. Also said they had no clue who was going to coach him up down in Miami, "who is the QB coaching genius........I don't see where he's going to get this great coaching for the problems he's had." :)

58% Comp, 17TD/23INT

Hack fans take heart.

yes and consider the source.  zimmerman who was a complete moron as a sports reporter or the other guy who wrote for the daily news (i think).  what these two clowns know about scouting is less than anyone on this board.

imo the one qb who reminded me of the way joe willy threw the ball was marino.

12 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yes and consider the source.  zimmerman who was a complete moron as a sports reporter or the other guy who wrote for the daily news (i think).  what these two clowns know about scouting is less than anyone on this board.

imo the one qb who reminded me of the way joe willy threw the ball was marino.

26 other GMs must also have been morons then.  Marino would've been the #1 pick in retrospect (or #2 at the latest behind Elway).

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

26 other GMs must also have been morons then.  Marino would've been the #1 pick in retrospect (or #2 at the latest behind Elway).

at least the guy in kc was.  he picked todd blackledge.  but it also comes down to team needs. 6 qb's were taken in the first round.  marino was the last one and fell because of the rumors.  kelly was probably just as much of a party boy.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

at least the guy in kc was.  he picked todd blackledge.  but it also comes down to team needs. 6 qb's were taken in the first round.  marino was the last one and fell because of the rumors.  kelly was probably just as much of a party boy.

It does but I'm saying "in retrospect".  Any team who had a QB would've STILL taken Marino if they knew how good he was.  At the very worst he would've been trade bait.

I can't post the video because I am at work, but.... His first drive vs the Giants in the preseason (i know, i know, PRESEASON), but if we could somehow get that out of him 4 times a game without any major screw ups. I also know the next reply to this will be, but after the first drive he sucked, yes i know. but right after the throw to Anderson for the TD it was kind of nice to think, that, just for a second we may have something.

NFL.com has the video of his first drive I think, he missed a few throws.

15 minutes ago, Stark said:

I can't post the video because I am at work, but.... His first drive vs the Giants in the preseason (i know, i know, PRESEASON), but if we could somehow get that out of him 4 times a game without any major screw ups. I also know the next reply to this will be, but after the first drive he sucked, yes i know. but right after the throw to Anderson for the TD it was kind of nice to think, that, just for a second we may have something.

NFL.com has the video of his first drive I think, he missed a few throws.

This is exactly what the Giants get out of Eli manning, and it was good enough to win them 2 SBs . This Kid has a way of making a play when a play needs to be made that allows his team to win .

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

My recollection was that Marino was the best QB by far coming out that year and that the gambling issue was the cloud that hung over his head.  The Jets picked before Miami that year and the fans in the room were stunned that we passed on him.  

Where do you get this "reach" stuff is just beyond me.  

You are somewhat correct. John Elway was considered the best QB coming out of the 1983 NFL draft. Dan Marino was in no way a reach for the Dolphins, the reach was the Jets picking Ken O'Brien.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Hackenberg?  Wasn't he like 21-17 in college?  The team went 11-3 last year without him. 

Not sure how many times we need to go over this.

The program was absolutely decimated by recruiting sanctions and NCAA allowed defections. Some had said that it was worse than the death penalty

John Donovan was ill equipped to run the an offense that catered to Hack's needs. He was running quick bubble screens and tried to put him on the edge. 

As the NCAA limited schollys, the team had to limit areas where it recruited. The O-line took a beating. And played like it.

PSU just got back to 85 schollys last year. The also had a couple of good recruiting classes under Franklin. Those classes did not help Hack's team though. The fact that they won as many gams as they did, was frankly amazing. 

11 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

You are somewhat correct. John Elway was considered the best QB coming out of the 1983 NFL draft. Dan Marino was in no way a reach for the Dolphins, the reach was the Jets picking Ken O'Brien.

Jets of that era were never, never, never going to pick Marino. He had a damaged knee, and because of the Namath situation, the Jets still stayed away from players that had the slightest history of knee problems

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not sure how many times we need to go over this.

The program was absolutely decimated by recruiting sanctions and NCAA allowed defections. Some had said that it was worse than the death penalty

John Donovan was ill equipped to run the an offense that catered to Hack's needs. He was running quick bubble screens and tried to put him on the edge. 

As the NCAA limited schollys, the team had to limit areas where it recruited. The O-line took a beating. And played like it.

PSU just got back to 85 schollys last year. The also had a couple of good recruiting classes under Franklin. Those classes did not help Hack's team though. The fact that they won as many gams as they did, was frankly amazing. 

Yay!  It's all Franklin's fault.  All that is nice, but it still doesn't scream "all he does is win" to me.  I'm not knocking Hackenberg for his record, I just don't see 21-17 as something to indicate that he has a knack for making plays when they need to be made to allow his team to win.  

11 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Jets of that era were never, never, never going to pick Marino. He had a damaged knee, and because of the Namath situation, the Jets still stayed away from players that had the slightest history of knee problems

That's supposedly why they passed on Anthony Munoz 3 years earlier.<_<

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yay!  It's all Franklin's fault.  All that is nice, but it still doesn't scream "all he does is win" to me.  I'm not knocking Hackenberg for his record, I just don't see 21-17 as something to indicate that he has a knack for making plays when they need to be made to allow his team to win.  

This really isn't difficult. When they won, it was because of Hackenberg's "it" factor. When they lost, it was because of James Franklin or Sandusky or the OL or whatever. Do I need to draw you a diagram?

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think what Scott was trying to say is that if it wasn't for pedophilia, we probably never even get a shot at Hackenberg, which is just one more reason to be grateful for the existence of sexy-ass boys.

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Marino still has the quickest windup and release I've ever seen 

His ability to just throw it was un believable.  I know I hated him as a kid, and like to knock on him for never winning a Super Bowl, but his arm was perfect.   I don't know who their GM was, but they really added nothing for years to help him out.

Archived