Why an open competition between Petty/Hackenberg in 2017 Training Camp makes sense

jetscrazey

Getting a veteran or someone like Tyrod Taylor who is 99% not winning a Super Bowl in this league makes no sense at this point.  I say let Petty and Hackenberg duke it out in training camp (with possibly another draft pick in the mix too).

Why?  See, if one of them figures it out in 2017 and becomes a legit QB, fine.  That's awesome.  We have a real QB finally.

However, if as expected they both stink, the Jets have zero expectations and quietly go 2-14 and hopefully get the #1 overall pick in 2018. 

Enter Sam Darnold.  If we can somehow get someone of this caliber in the 2018 draft, that could set the stage for a potential dynasty.

Sucking in 2017 also gives them the chance to fire Bowles and start over with Maccagnan actually picking his own guy as a HC.

It's tank time, fellas.

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Don't tell us, tell Todd Bowles and his players who we aren't sure will comprise the 2017 Jets .  I'm quite sure he's on board with your plan for his future employment .

LOL, well luckily for me, Bowles can't coach anyway so I'm not worried about that.

11 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Getting a veteran or someone like Tyrod Taylor who is 99% not winning a Super Bowl in this league makes no sense at this point.  I say let Petty and Hackenberg duke it out in training camp (with possibly another draft pick in the mix too).

Why?  See, if one of them figures it out in 2017 and becomes a legit QB, fine.  That's awesome.  We have a real QB finally.

However, if as expected they both stink, the Jets have zero expectations and quietly go 2-14 and hopefully get the #1 overall pick in 2018. 

Enter Sam Darnold.  If we can somehow get someone of this caliber in the 2018 draft, that could set the stage for a potential dynasty.

Sucking in 2017 also gives them the chance to fire Bowles and start over with Maccagnan actually picking his own guy as a HC.

It's tank time, fellas.

This tanking bullsh*t is beyond belief.  Only this fanbase starts dreaming about the 2018 draft before the 2016 season is over.  See the bold.  You answered your own question. If you expect it, you plan for it.  To do otherwise is irresponsible.  You are planning a billion dollar asset around a 19 year old kid and his ability to maintain and improve his performance.  What if he gets hurt?  He missed most of a season in high school with a foot injury.  Guys blow up their knees all the time (see Chubb, Nick) What if he doesn't come out?  Peyton didn't.  He has 3 more years of eligibility.  What if it turns out he flat out sucks, or even just isn't that good? (see George, Jeff, and Carr, David and Smith, Alex and Bradford, Sam and Couch, Tim) Even if he isn't horrible, is it really worth all that to end up with Carson Palmer, or Matt Stafford?  If Bowles gets the axe, you can bet nobody is looking kindly upon the guy who assembled a 2-14 roster. (see Idzik, John).  Neither of them has any reason to go along with this harebrained scheme. Can it core a apple?

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This tanking bullsh*t is beyond belief.  Only this fanbase starts dreaming about the 2018 draft before the 2016 season is over.  See the bold.  You answered your own question. If you expect it, you plan for it.  To do otherwise is irresponsible.  You are planning a billion dollar asset around a 19 year old kid and his ability to maintain and improve his performance.  What if he gets hurt?  He missed most of a season in high school with a foot injury.  Guys blow up their knees all the time (see Chubb, Nick) What if he doesn't come out?  Peyton didn't.  He has 3 more years of eligibility.  What if it turns out he flat out sucks, or even just isn't that good? (see George, Jeff, and Carr, David and Smith, Alex and Bradford, Sam and Couch, Tim) Even if he isn't horrible, is it really worth all that to end up with Carson Palmer, or Matt Stafford?  If Bowles gets the axe, you can bet nobody is looking kindly upon the guy who assembled a 2-14 roster. (see Idzik, John).  Neither of them has any reason to go along with this harebrained scheme. Can it core a apple?

Look...if there's a Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott in the mid rounds we can scoop up, great I'm all for it.  But in the top rounds and free agency, there's nobody worth our while out there, with the possible exception of Glennon.  The Jets are going to suck next year, we should embrace it, because Darnold looks like the best QB prospect to come out since Andrew Luck.

30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well said. People want to go on about the Pats cheating. If it came to light that the Jets deliberately didn't give their all for the sake of a ruse for a better draft position while taking my dollars and time to watch them, I can tell you it would be the end of them having this fan's support.

Not going to have such high expectations, but lets see how bad Jets really are next year. This teams front 7 is not that bad so if Burris comes along as a No. 2 CB with Skrine back in the slot there is an off chance a draft pick at CB could somewhat handle a starting CB role(Safeties were OK), if it is a CB prospect that overwhelms. OK, then on O, which we are probably going to lean more heavily on running, the current RBs and WRs are pretty good. If we draft some Olineman to start building back the OL and even 1 of them helps at T this line may not be so bad. I still contend that the Oline even with injuries wasn't the fault last year since running was not played called enough and the QBs either held the ball too long or simply threw too many INTs without being under a lot of pressure. Now, if we have horrible QB play like last year, yes, then we are looking at 2-5 wins next year. But, this team with a few decent off season draft/FA moves and any QB that is around average can easily be in the 7-9 win range and build to be even better beyond that. Call me an optimist, but the main weaknesses we had in 2016 was at QB and CB, unfortunately the 2 worst areas to stink at in this pass happy league.  

I'm all for this but imo you also need a cheaper vet.  Like Geno or McCown.

Say Hack has made some nice improvement but isn't quite there yet and Petty just sucks.   Throw Hack to the dogs and potentially ruin a good thing?  Or even if Hack is ready to play, you still need someone to be a legit backup.

Don't spend big or even medium money on QB, but definitely bring in a cheap vet.  I'd prefer Geno since he's still young enough to have upside, but someone with some experience has to be on the roster.

28 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Look...if there's a Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott in the mid rounds we can scoop up, great I'm all for it.  But in the top rounds and free agency, there's nobody worth our while out there, with the possible exception of Glennon.  The Jets are going to suck next year, we should embrace it, because Darnold looks like the best QB prospect to come out since Andrew Luck.

what are you going to do when the  Jets win 8 games next season, complain about how Todd Bowles cost you a chance to draft your QB .

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

what are you going to do when the  Jets win 8 games next season, complain about how Todd Bowles cost you a chance to draft your QB .

The odds of the Jets winning 8 games next year are pretty damn slim.  Not worried about that.  I just hope it's 2 wins or less so we can pick Darnold.

53 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Hackenberg looked great in his Freshman year too.  I give the chance of Darnold avoiding injury and being good in the NFL to be 50% at best.  Better get a vet, Glennon, Taylor, while the getting is good just in case.  I think this year we have a good crop of free agent QBs and we should grab one as well as draft one. 

27 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

The odds of the Jets winning 8 games next year are pretty damn slim.  Not worried about that.  I just hope it's 2 wins or less so we can pick Darnold.

Uhhh... I don't know if it's that crazy.  

Follow me for a minute...

1. First and foremost, we need average QB play.  Can Hack do it?  Maybe a cheap vet?  If not, ok no need to keep reading.  But if so...
  2. Oline.  Actually pretty good shape here.  Big question is LT.  Is Clady brought back and can he stay healthy?  Or perhaps find a FA.
  3. RB?  Decent now with Forte and Powell.  But what if Fournette is drafted!
  4. WRs?  Good young talent and as of now Marshall and Decker are still here.
  5. TE?  OK no clue here, but maybe ASJ takes advantage of his talent.
  6. Dline?  No worries.
  7. LBs.  3 of them are young promising talent.  Does Harris stick around or perhaps add a veteran FA?
  8. Secondary?  ... ... ok we're kinda phucked here.  Maybe we have a solid SS and young CB.  Gotta figure what to do with 24.

So IF (big if) we can get decent QB play (just like 2015), you never know.  Macc has to figure out LT and secondary to have a shot though.

54 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Sorry, I don't bet on anything anymore, I just prefer to see things the way I want them to be and wait for it to happen .  By the way, what's your backup plan from Darnold .

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

It's tank time, fellas.

I don't agree, you have to bring in a vet because the odds that Petty will establish himself is remote, and Hackenberg is far from a sure prospect. Even with a vet such as Tryod Taylor on the team there will be opportunity for both Petty/Hackenberg.  Stay away from the 4 QB situation like last season.

Also if Petty & Hack are the only two QBs on the roster and they suck Mac & Bowles will get canned and neither of them will bet their jobs on those two QBs at this point in their unproven playing career.

5 hours ago, Larz said:

hack needs every rep

petty had his chance, muffed it

Yeah, Petty did nothing to earn a chance at the starting job next year. Add in his injury and how limited he will be all offseason and it makes even less sense.

14 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

It's tank time, fellas.

enough with the tank talk.  it won't be good for the fans or the players. maybe darnold is the second coming of brady but that is uncertain and he is, after all,a usc qb.  

as for the qb, the jets have been plenty closed mouth on this.  they could go a number of ways and it's possible they use the 6 pick on a qb.  it's also possible they use a 6th round pick too.  or they can go after an established qb and back up the money truck. it's also possible they've seen enough of petty and hack to let either of them start the season. one thing that will cause some issues is the salary cap.  if they go for an expensive qb they will have trouble getting good players to fill LT or cb positions. it's a big balancing act. we'll probably hear some good rumors come first week in march when free agency starts for real.

The three tiers of fan desperation :

1. Hoping the QB you drafted last year and hasn't played a single NFL snap turns into "the guy"
  2. Hoping that you somehow find the diamond in the (very) rough draft class this year
  3. Pinning all your hopes on a guy who won't be draft eligible for another year, assuming he continues to develop, stays out of trouble, stays healthy ... etc AND that your team is the worst in football so you can have a chance at selecting him

It wasn't too long ago that "Tank for Teddy" was a popular refrain - that bona fide can't miss prospect who was DEFINITELY going #1 overall. How did that work out?

50 minutes ago, jamesr said:

The three tiers of fan desperation :

1. Hoping the QB you drafted last year and hasn't played a single NFL snap turns into "the guy"
  2. Hoping that you somehow find the diamond in the (very) rough draft class this year
  3. Pinning all your hopes on a guy who won't be draft eligible for another year, assuming he continues to develop, stays out of trouble, stays healthy ... etc AND that your team is the worst in football so you can have a chance at selecting him

It wasn't too long ago that "Tank for Teddy" was a popular refrain - that bona fide can't miss prospect who was DEFINITELY going #1 overall. How did that work out?

Niners will probably go 1-15 next year, maybe 0-16

We have 0.0 shot at Darnold even if Petty/Hack suck which they do

Archived