Davis a possibility at 6?

MattyAction

Anyone thinking WR Corey Davis is a real possibility at 6? I haven't seen him mocked that high, but I like him better than Mike Williams.  

He looks like a real immediate weapon to help the offense right away, regardless who is at qb.  We haven't had a real blue chip athlete on offense in forever and his movement reminds me of Antonio Brown.  

33 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

WR isn't a need position like others. If a WR is BPA when we pick I'd like to see us trade down for more picks and/or just far enough to get the player we really want.

The guy might be able to help, but IMO we have other needs first.

^ Having said that, I wouldn't mind getting our hands on OJ Howard at TE.

The Jets should be in straight BPA mode this draft. And in that strategy, I find it highly unlikely that the Jets will have any WR from this draft in their top 6 players overall. It is possible, primarily with Mike Williams, that a WR is borderline top 6 for them...but I think there's a good chance someone outside our top 6 ranked prospects that gets drafted before our pick, leaving us with potentially our number 2 or 3 ranked prospect falling into our lap (ie: Leonard Williams 2 years ago).

Corey Davis is a stud, and he will surely be a 1st round pick, but I don't see him worth number 6 overall, especially to a team with holes literally everywhere else on the roster.  

7 hours ago, MattyAction said:

Anyone thinking WR Corey Davis is a real possibility at 6? I haven't seen him mocked that high, but I like him better than Mike Williams.  

He looks like a real immediate weapon to help the offense right away, regardless who is at qb.  We haven't had a real blue chip athlete on offense in forever and his movement reminds me of Antonio Brown.  

Agree, especially since he didn't have a Watson throwing to him either. Really big fan of the guy, some of the plays hes made on tape are unreal.

Still think we should be going Hooker/Lattimore at 6

4 hours ago, David Harris said:

He's starting to get mocked ahead of Mike Williams a little.

if we are going for a game changing offensive skilled player than I prefer Fournette.

Is that more to do with Davis' stock rising, or Williams's stock falling?

I've seen a lot of hype on here about Williams to us at 6, but lots of mocks have him in the mid first round, with Philly a popular landing spot.

Personally I'm fine with us drafting a WR at 6 given how short the shelf life is on our top 2 guys at present - but I don't want us to reach, it would have to be real BPA, and right now i'm not convinced he would be. If Fournette and Williams were both there I'd certainly see Fournette > Williams as BPA.

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

Is that more to do with Davis' stock rising, or Williams's stock falling?

I've seen a lot of hype on here about Williams to us at 6, but lots of mocks have him in the mid first round, with Philly a popular landing spot.

Personally I'm fine with us drafting a WR at 6 given how short the shelf life is on our top 2 guys at present - but I don't want us to reach, it would have to be real BPA, and right now i'm not convinced he would be. If Fournette and Williams were both there I'd certainly see Fournette > Williams as BPA.

A little of both, more Davis rising tho - theyre internet mocks of little value im sure but I've noticed it here and there 

2 hours ago, KRL said:

A WR is worthless for us at #6.  Right now we still have B. Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, J. Marshall & Smith.

That's more than enough depth even if we let Marshall or Decker go

Two years from now no one gives a fig about who you had two years ago as depth if the player turns out to be special.  I'm not totally endorsing the player at 6 I just don;t like the concept of 'we as a bad team are okay in one position therefore do not pick a great player who plays that position.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Two years from now no one gives a fig about who you had two years ago as depth if the player turns out to be special.  I'm not totally endorsing the player at 6 I just don;t like the concept of 'we as a bad team are okay in one position therefore do not pick a great player who plays that position.

Then you're ok if the Jets draft another DLineman at #6

I've landed firmly on wanting Mike Williams but I cant imagine him getting past Tenn.

That said, I really cant comment on Davis.  I know he's a super productive game changer type player but I've never seen a game. The only time I've ever seen Western Michigan play is when they came into the Swamp for opening day back in the Spurrier days.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

A WR is worthless for us at #6.  Right now we still have B. Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, J. Marshall & Smith.

If we truly feel he is a game changer , you wouldn't draft him because of guys like J.Marshall, Peake and Smith? That seems nuts. Especially with uncertainty of marshall and Decker.  

6 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

The current debate and possible landing spot that I have seen is to Tennessee Titans at 5:  From all accounts they are looking at Mike Williams and Davis as possible additions to help Mariotta.  The next landing spot if they don't go QB could be Buffalo.

I don;t see the Titans passing on Hooker or Adams and both should be there for them. Just depends on whether they want to go with the less polished/higher upside Hooker or more polished/less upside Adams. Both are studs though and exactly what the Titans need. You can argue all you want about taking a safety in the top ten. But I think teams are starting to realize what a critical position S has become in the NFL today and the value of a premier S talent to your defense.

I think the other 'Wild Card' pick for the Titans is Allen, who they will most certainly scoop up if he falls to 5.   

There is no reason whatsoever that the Jets should use any picks before round 6 on a WR and if we didnt draft a single one, regardless of the "BPA" that would be fine as well.

We are going to have one of Marshall/Decker, plus Enunwa, Robby Anderson, Jalin Marshal, Devin Smith and Charon Peake.  That is an ideal group of veterans, players hitting their prime, and younger developmental guys.  No reason to waste a draft spot on the position this year.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

How is a WR worthless? If you can get a dominant WR to pair with your young QB, why wouldn't you do it? Decker has a hard time staying on the field, who knows if Marshall will be back. Enunwa is still developing...and the rest are just depth at this point. 

Amazes me how some fans think helping out our developing QBs by surrounding them with talent is a bad idea. 

3 hours ago, KRL said:

How is a WR worthless? If you can get a dominant WR to pair with your young QB, why wouldn't you do it? Decker has a hard time staying on the field, who knows if Marshall will be back. Enunwa is still developing...and the rest are just depth at this point. 

Amazes me how some fans think helping out our developing QBs by surrounding them with talent is a bad idea. 

In my opinion the WR and RB positions are totally dependent upon the foundations
of a good offense, the QB & OLine.  We don't have a QB at this point and our OLine is
still being put together.  If we took a WR or RB at #6 without a QB or solid OLine fans
would quickly call that player a "bust" when he didn't immediately produce.  As the
Combine approaches we should focus the #6 pick on:

- QB
- LT
- OLB
- S
- CB

Those five positions could have an immediate impact   

26 minutes ago, BCJet said:

There is no reason whatsoever that the Jets should use any picks before round 6 on a WR and if we didnt draft a single one, regardless of the "BPA" that would be fine as well.

We are going to have one of Marshall/Decker, plus Enunwa, Robby Anderson, Jalin Marshal, Devin Smith and Charon Peake.  That is an ideal group of veterans, players hitting their prime, and younger developmental guys.  No reason to waste a draft spot on the position this year.

I agree 100%. I don;t know if you nec. have to have a rigid stance of round 6 or whatever. I mean, if Williams slipped to rd. 3 b/c of a 'bong tape' you take him regardless, lol. Not that that would ever happen.

But I agree. Even L.Fournette (assuming he is healthy) would be a purely BPA pick for the Jets. RB is simply not a critical position for the Jets to address.

IMO- and this depends heavily on what they decide to do in FA. The Jets need to look at CB, LT, and Pass Rusher as their position targets. And this also assumes that they will punt on drafting a QB early this year to give Hack (and to an extent Petty) a real chance to show what they can do on the field.  

As far as this draft goes. At pick 6 you really want a top 5 prospect. You don't really have a consensus top 5 CB prospect, although there are a lot of 1st round prospect in this class. The top Pass Rusher is almost guaranteed to be gone. The top LTs are really not worthy of going in the top 5. So, unless you really like D.Barnette, who I would argue is a top 10 prospect, you have to go outside your primary needs to get the BPA. This means a guy like Allen, if he falls. A guy like Hooker, if Tenn does not take him. A guy like Fournette.

The other option. And the one I PRAY will happen but never will, is if the Jets trade down for the Browns 12th pick overall, adding the first pick in the 2nd round (allowing the Browns to take a QB after taking Garrett #1 overall). At 12 the Jets take S.Jones- CB, Washington. Who I believe will end up being the best man-cover CB to come out of this draft.    

We *will* need a number one wr in the next few years.  Marshall is gone, Decker isn't a real number 1 (he's a tweener type), and Enunwa while a great number 3, did sort of disappear in the number two role, so I doubt he will ever be a true number one.  What we do have is a surplus of young guys who are number 2-3 wr worthy.

I often think timing wise, that you want to build  inside out.  So I'd prefer stout linemen first, as opposed to going skill players without that tough interior.

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

In my opinion the WR and RB positions are totally dependent upon the foundations
of a good offense, the QB & OLine.  We don't have a QB at this point and our OLine is
still being put together.  If we took a WR or RB at #6 without a QB or solid OLine fans
would quickly call that player a "bust" when he didn't immediately produce.  As the
Combine approaches we should focus the #6 pick on:

- QB
- LT
- OLB
- S
- CB

Those five positions could have an immediate impact   

I disagree. In theory, what you say makes complete sense. But the reality changes the way you look at the draft.

I think everyone can agree that you want BPA at 6. It doesn't have to be the only factor you take into account, but it has to be a major one when drafting so high.

Now, even though this is considered to be a 'weak' QB draft, that doesn't mean some teams won't have a QB very high on their board. Macc will do his due diligence in scouting QBs. But I simply don't see him putting one of these guys very high on his board. And on top of that, he just drafted a QB in Hack who has yet to get an opportunity, who Macc views as having Franchise QB potential and thinks very highly of. This is where reality plays a role. The Jets may not have a starting QB. But they have Hack. And regardless of what fans may think, that will have an impact on the moves Macc makes, particularly early on in the draft and FA.

LT is a premium position of need for the Jets. Its clear. But the reality is that there really is no LT in this draft that is worthy of the 6th pick overall. There just isn't. And Macc is not the type of guy to reach for an O-lineman. He's shown that and pretty much stated so when he said quality O-linemen can be found in the later rounds of the draft.

OLB is a possibility. The guy that comes to mind is Barnette. But it will depend on what Macc's evaluation of Barnette is. How high does he have him on his board. Barnette is a real possibility, especially if his stock starts to rise after the combine, pro days, etc. 

S is a real possibility even though it is not a huge need. Depends on what they do with Gilchrist and Pryor, but even if they lose one of them, I think the Jets really like the depth of Miles and Middleton. And frankly, I think both Pryor and Gilchrist will stay. But the reason its a possibility is that Hooker and Adams are premier safety prospects that some will have very high on their boards, within the top 10. Personally I think Hooker goes to Tenn at 5, but who knows.

CB. This is a tricky one. CB is one of the most glaring needs for the Jets, especially if they decide to cut Revis and/or Skrine. There is a ton of CB talent in this draft, but that does not mean you can simply pass on a prospect high on your board b/c of draft depth at the position, that is, frankly, asinine. If a CB separates himself leading up t the draft and propels his stock to top 5, I would not be surprised at all if the Jets took a CB. But right now, although a lot of 1st round prospects, there are none that you can consider top 5. IMHO. S.Jones is the guy I believe will end up being the best CB to come out of this draft, and he will probably end up being the 3rd or even 4th CB taken in this draft.      

The Jets may find themselves in a position where the best thing to do is take BPA outside of a major position of need or trade down. 

Archived