Davis a possibility at 6?

MattyAction

9 minutes ago, Hael said:

We *will* need a number one wr in the next few years.  Marshall is gone, Decker isn't a real number 1 (he's a tweener type), and Enunwa while a great number 3, did sort of disappear in the number two role, so I doubt he will ever be a true number one.  What we do have is a surplus of young guys who are number 2-3 wr worthy.

I often think timing wise, that you want to build  inside out.  So I'd prefer stout linemen first, as opposed to going skill players without that tough interior.

Fair enough. I actually agree with this. But I don;t see how you can assume that any of the WRs in this draft will come in and automatically be the #1 guy. It just doesn't work like that unless there is a Calvin Johnson or K.Johnson type. And there is not.  

14 hours ago, MattyAction said:

Anyone thinking WR Corey Davis is a real possibility at 6? I haven't seen him mocked that high, but I like him better than Mike Williams.  

He looks like a real immediate weapon to help the offense right away, regardless who is at qb.  We haven't had a real blue chip athlete on offense in forever and his movement reminds me of Antonio Brown.  

..NOT at the #6 selection in the 1st round. i Luv him but.. 6th in the 1st is way too high. 

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

10 hours ago, David Harris said:

He's starting to get mocked ahead of Mike Williams a little.

if we are going for a game changing offensive skilled player than I prefer Fournette.

Mayock's top players by position came out and he had him ranked #1 ahead of Williams.

57 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I disagree. In theory, what you say makes complete sense. But the reality changes the way you look at the draft.

I think everyone can agree that you want BPA at 6. It doesn't have to be the only factor you take into account, but it has to be a major one when drafting so high.

Now, even though this is considered to be a 'weak' QB draft, that doesn't mean some teams won't have a QB very high on their board. Macc will do his due diligence in scouting QBs. But I simply don't see him putting one of these guys very high on his board. And on top of that, he just drafted a QB in Hack who has yet to get an opportunity, who Macc views as having Franchise QB potential and thinks very highly of. This is where reality plays a role. The Jets may not have a starting QB. But they have Hack. And regardless of what fans may think, that will have an impact on the moves Macc makes, particularly early on in the draft and FA.

LT is a premium position of need for the Jets. Its clear. But the reality is that there really is no LT in this draft that is worthy of the 6th pick overall. There just isn't. And Macc is not the type of guy to reach for an O-lineman. He's shown that and pretty much stated so when he said quality O-linemen can be found in the later rounds of the draft.

OLB is a possibility. The guy that comes to mind is Barnette. But it will depend on what Macc's evaluation of Barnette is. How high does he have him on his board. Barnette is a real possibility, especially if his stock starts to rise after the combine, pro days, etc. 

S is a real possibility even though it is not a huge need. Depends on what they do with Gilchrist and Pryor, but even if they lose one of them, I think the Jets really like the depth of Miles and Middleton. And frankly, I think both Pryor and Gilchrist will stay. But the reason its a possibility is that Hooker and Adams are premier safety prospects that some will have very high on their boards, within the top 10. Personally I think Hooker goes to Tenn at 5, but who knows.

CB. This is a tricky one. CB is one of the most glaring needs for the Jets, especially if they decide to cut Revis and/or Skrine. There is a ton of CB talent in this draft, but that does not mean you can simply pass on a prospect high on your board b/c of draft depth at the position, that is, frankly, asinine. If a CB separates himself leading up t the draft and propels his stock to top 5, I would not be surprised at all if the Jets took a CB. But right now, although a lot of 1st round prospects, there are none that you can consider top 5. IMHO. S.Jones is the guy I believe will end up being the best CB to come out of this draft, and he will probably end up being the 3rd or even 4th CB taken in this draft.      

The Jets may find themselves in a position where the best thing to do is take BPA outside of a major position of need or trade down. 

BPA is more of a catch phrase that the media and fans use more than anything else.

Look, was Leo Williams the BPA when we took him - yes, and he has been an excellent player and we are all happy he is on the Jets.  But would anyone here prefer that we had Vic Beasley at this point and could simply keep Richardson, which would be better for the defense as a whole - I know I would.

In addition, BPA only works if there is a big difference between 2 players.  Do people here really think that if they have Hooker or Adams rated at a 91-93 and Corey Davis a 94-96 they should disregard the need in the secondary and pick Davis?

The truth is that you have to combine need/scheme with the ratings you have on a player and make an overall educated guess.  

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Fair enough. I actually agree with this. But I don;t see how you can assume that any of the WRs in this draft will come in and automatically be the #1 guy. It just doesn't work like that unless there is a Calvin Johnson or K.Johnson type. And there is not.  

This is what concerns me most ... a WR at #6, I'm looking for a Julio Jones / AJ Green type talent. I've yet to hear much about any of this draft crop that rates them anywhere near that level.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

BPA is more of a catch phrase that the media and fans use more than anything else.

Look, was Leo Williams the BPA when we took him - yes, and he has been an excellent player and we are all happy he is on the Jets.  But would anyone here prefer that we had Vic Beasley at this point and could simply keep Richardson, which would be better for the defense as a whole - I know I would.

In addition, BPA only works if there is a big difference between 2 players.  Do people here really think that if they have Hooker or Adams rated at a 91-93 and Corey Davis a 94-96 they should disregard the need in the secondary and pick Davis?

The truth is that you have to combine need/scheme with the ratings you have on a player and make an overall educated guess.  

I agree 100% about the BPA comment. 

But no, Vic Beasley was not the better selection to make. No, he would not have nec. fixed anything for the Jets or even had the year he had THIS year. Lest we forget he had only 4 sack last year in 16 games- just saying. If I could do it over, L.Williams would still be the pick- Richardson or no Richardson.

I guess my point was that when you are picking inside the top 10, although you have to take into account needs and player position, it's critical that you coem away with a premier talent. Now, you can argue Beasley is just as much of a premier talent as L.Williams- and Beasley filled a bigger need. But my opinion is that Beasley is not the premier talent L.Williams is.

Now, maybe that is a bad comparison. But if you look at this draft in particular, I would rather go with a L.Fournette type player- clearly one of, if not THE premiere talents in the draft over a D.Barnette, also a very talented player, also ranked high (top 10), and happens to fill a need. But most can agree not the premier talent that Fournette is. That's just me.    

Any concerns with both M.Williams' and C.Davis' lack of ELITE speed??? 

I guess we will see how they run at the combine. But neither guy is a burner. 

Frankly, fair or not, I believe that will be one of the reasons neither will be drafted in the top 10. 

7 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Davis had played for Bama, he'd be a consensus top 6 pick. He has all the tools you want in a WR. He will be great, but  generally you don't start a rebuild with a WR  unless the Jets secretly like Petty/Hack or think they will get a Glennon type. 

The Jets start that way (Keyshawn Johnson). Of course he won a SB with another team but that's another matter altogether.

On 2/13/2017 at 10:44 PM, MattyAction said:

Anyone thinking WR Corey Davis is a real possibility at 6? I haven't seen him mocked that high, but I like him better than Mike Williams.  

He looks like a real immediate weapon to help the offense right away, regardless who is at qb.  We haven't had a real blue chip athlete on offense in forever and his movement reminds me of Antonio Brown.  

saw this.. 

Jets Mock Drafts: A Look at No. 6

Posted 17 hours ago

•  
  •  

After Taking a Buckeye in the First Round of the 2016 NFL Draft, Some Pundits Believe the Jets Could Look to C-Bus Again

AP_904050981912-story.jpg

February 14
CBS Sports
Dane Brugler, Senior NFL Draft Analyst, NFLDraftScout and CBS Sports
Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State: “The Jets have no choice but to address the secondary this offseason with question marks at both cornerback and safety. Lattimore is a very gifted athlete for his size with sticky coverage skills.”

February 13
NFLDraftScout.com
Rob Rang, Senior NFL Draft Analyst, NFLDraftScout.com 
Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson: “Watson is a polarizing player in the scouting community, dazzling with his dual-threat ability but throwing 28 interceptions over the past two seasons, most in the FBS. His undeniably impressive track record of playing his best under the bright lights could be more valued on Broadway than elsewhere.”

February 13
Sporting News
Eric Galko, Sporting News Contributor 
Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State: “Lattimore has plenty of NFL fans and might be the first cornerback off the board.”

February 12
Bleacher Report
Chris Roling, Featured Columnist, Bleacher Report
Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State

February 11
NFL.com
Charley Casserly, NFL Media Analyst
Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama: “Foster reminds me of Luke Kuechly. Tough to pass up for Jets.”

February 10
Bleacher Report
Matt Miller, Bleacher Report NFL Draft Lead Writer
Jamal Adams, S, LSU 

February 10
Yahoo
Eric Edholm, NFL Writer, Yahoo Sports
Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU: “Fournette is a top-10 talent with rare size and speed.”

February 8
ESPN
Todd McShay, ESPN Draft and College Football Analyst 
Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State: Lattimore has elite cover skills and good length/size (6-0, 192). He has only one year of starting experience, but he showed good ball production, recording four interceptions and nine pass breakups.”

February 8
NFL.com
Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Media Analyst 
Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU: “I know the Jets have other needs, but Fournette would be a very tempting option to consider.”

February 6
USA Today
Luke Easterling, USA Today/Managing Editor, Draft Wire
DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame

January 30
Sports Illustrated
Chris Burke, SI.com Lead Draft Expert
Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina: “Watson, Trubisky, DeShone Kizer or Patrick Mahomes all come with their question marks. Trubisky, though, also has the physical traits to develop into a gem.”

January 30
NFL.com
Lance Zierlein, NFL Media Draft Analyst
Taco Charlton, DE/OLB, Michigan: “Charlton is long and athletic and the perfect combination player as an edge rusher. He can stand up on early downs and put a hand in the ground when the Jets go to their sub-package."

January 19
ESPN
Mel Kiper, ESPN Draft Guru
Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State: “Lattimore is another first-year starter who jumped to the top of my cornerback rankings with a stellar season. A hamstring injury limited his time on the field in Columbus in 2014 and 2015. Speed, size (6-foot-1, 190) — he has all the traits to be a star.”

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Jets-Mock-Drafts-A-Look-at-No-6/5e063da2-bd5f-49f0-99e6-fbe0387edd4b

Archived