Morton and QB Fit

varjet

56 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The jets FO should in no way shape or form be building the team to suit the current coaching staff.

And what would you call that type of logic ?  This is paramount to sabotage and career suicide .  It's also stupid, since that would imply that the current regime would be drafting players for a regime that doesn't exist to satisfy the whims of the fans .

Who thinks up this stuff ?

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The jets FO should in no way shape or form be building the team to suit the current coaching staff.

huh?  doesn't the coaching staff dictate what kind of offense/defense will be used?  i agree that if there's an established team the new coaches need to be careful about using a system to suit the players but on a team like the jets, that have no qb and on field leadership, the players need to be found to fit the coaches.

9 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

And what would you call that type of logic ?  This is paramount to sabotage and career suicide .  It's also stupid, since that would imply that the current regime would be drafting players for a regime that doesn't exist to satisfy the whims of the fans .

Who thinks up this stuff ?

No it isn't at all.  You get good players and your coaching staff makes them work.  Last couple of years the GM has drafted for the coach, one problem the coach has zero clue how to use these players.

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

huh?  doesn't the coaching staff dictate what kind of offense/defense will be used?  i agree that if there's an established team the new coaches need to be careful about using a system to suit the players but on a team like the jets, that have no qb and on field leadership, the players need to be found to fit the coaches.

And when they get canned in a year or two you do it all over again.

Let me ask you this? What kind of defense do the New York Jets play?

And when they get canned in a year or two you do it all over again.

Let me ask you this? What kind of defense do the New York Jets play?

well, no.  if bowles gets canned then the next guy has to adapt his system to suit the players he has.  i said that.  i am a firm believer of teaching 6 or so coaches as opposed to 54 players something new.  remember, when bowles came in they had pretty much whiffed on two straight drafts.  and the previous drafts were also lacking in quantity if not quality.  presumably mac drafted players to fit bowles system. 

as for what defense do the jets run?  a pretty crappy one of late. allegedly they use a base 3-4 but there are always some nuances such as does the secondary stay in a cover 2 or do they go man, etc.  and i know some of their players like leo/sheldon/wilk do not necessarily fit that scheme nor does darrin lee fit a true 3-4 scheme.

No it isn't at all.  You get good players and your coaching staff makes them work.  Last couple of years the GM has drafted for the coach, one problem the coach has zero clue how to use these players.

According to who, you .

Todd Bowles  is in the 3rd year of a rebuild that started out wrong way . . You don't like him, and that's your problem, so please don't try to make it mine .  This man is the HC of my beloved Jets, and until he gets relieved of his duties, he gets my full unconditional support .

The reason is simple, and it's because I don't know a fraction about this team that he knows. I speculate .

3 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

This has nothing to do with John Morton but I'm so tired of reading every article that starts with "he's the first one in the building and the last to leave"....I don't care if you work 40 hours a week or a 100 hours a week that doesn't define a good coach.  

I hate this too.

The least efficient, most useless, and negatively disruptive people I've ever worked with were also the "in first, out last" types. Time martyrs, the type who talk about "how late they worked last night" are - in the experience I've had with them - veiling their uselessness with a narrative about "hard work".

**** that. I work hard, which makes me efficient and able to get my work done quickly. If I decide to work late, it's because I've taken extra on - not out of the necessity that I need more time to complete my core responsibilities. 

Jon Gruden says OC John Morton will be a stickler for the details and will adapt to personnel

New Jets offensive coordinator John Morton’s reputation precedes him. He is a relentless worker who sometimes doesn’t make it out of the facility.

“He’d be the first guy off the bus on the Gruden Grinder bus stop tour,” said ESPN Monday Night Football analyst Jon Gruden. “He is a guy who would beat you to work every day and he would stay later than you would stay. I don’t think there’s any other reason than John Morton that Sean Payton made up these sleep rooms. He had to have a room for Johnny Morton to get a wink.”

Morton spent the past two seasons under Payton in New Orleans, mentoring a talented young receiver group. But he got his NFL coaching start with the Raiders from 1998-99, serving as Gruden’s WR coach. He also was Gruden’s offensive quality control coach in 2000 before he moved back to the Raiders wideouts in 2001.

“He and David Shaw, who now is the head coach at Stanford, were up and coming guys. All he did was study protections, route combinations, coverage beaters and individual drills to help his receivers get better,” said Gruden of Morton. “He helped me tremendously, self-scouting the opponents, coming up with new formations to run the same play from. Creative mind, he took advantage of some great people that were not only on the Raiders staff but in New Orleans, San Francisco. He’s prepared himself well.”

In addition to the four seasons under Gruden, Morton compiled three seasons alongside Payton in New Orleans and five seasons with Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh in both the NFL and in college. A member of the USC staff from 2007-11, Morton was Pete Carroll’s offensive coordinator in 2009.

“Veteran players will appreciate him because he’s old school. If he wants the outside foot back on the outside edge of the numbers and he wants a three-step slant and he wants you to cross space at a friendly 45 degree angle, then that’s what you better do,” Gruden said. “And if he wants a double-move release, you better get it done. What you see on film is what you coach. That’s kind of the world he comes from — effort, details, fundamentals, discipline. I think he’s going to be a stickler for that and I don’t think he’s always going to be a nice guy if things aren’t going toward that direction. He is going to be a stickler for the details, he’s a disciplined guy and real pro players appreciate that.”

Just two weeks with the Jets, Morton is now heading up an offensive staff that has a mix of holdovers and newcomers. Gruden praises Morton’s presence and believes he will get everyone headed in the same direction.

“Get everybody get on the same page, prepare properly and then present the game plan to the players and blow their socks off,” he said of Morton’s first steps. “Get them excited about the offense you’re putting in. But he’s got to get his staff on the same page number one and he’s got to get ready for these OTAs which are right around the corner. I have great confidence that he’ll be good with people, he’ll be great with his staff. And if they can get on the same page and get excited about their offensive direction, that will transfer to the players quite well.”

While Gruden says there are still questions to be solved about the Jets offensive personnel, he is confident Morton will adjust and do a quality job as he takes the offensive reins.

“John Morton is going to be able to adapt his offense to the personnel that he has. He might not have a Pro Bowl quarterback. He might not have a Pro Bowl receiver,” he said. “I don’t know what the personnel is going to be, but he’ll be able to adapt based on what he has whether than means they’re going to be an I-formation team or a no-back team, that will be announced once Todd Bowles and the Jets figure out who is going to make this roster.”

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Gruden-Morton-Will-Bring-a-Lot-to-the-Jets/4b18b28b-f42b-46ec-bad7-fec548ba4d45?campaign=ea-tw

Calling the actual plays during the game is not the most important job of an OC.

An OC's main jobs are to set the gameplan to actually attack that weeks opponent's weakness, make necessary in game adjustments to the scheme as the game unfolds, and then call the "correct" plays.

Not only do teams give QBs a lot of 2 play options as they get to the line, but you can have the greatest play calls in the world, if you havent prepared  your players and/or they dont have the necessary talent to execute them, it wont matter.  Just ask Sean Payton when he was stripped of play callling duties from Tom Coughlin.  Was that because he isnt a good play caller - because he seems to be considered to be a good offensive coach.

A quality organization brings in players that fits its system.

That is one reason why teams with coaching turnover tend to do worse-because it is hard to know what the system is.

That is also another reason why the Jets org structure does not work well.

Darron Lee was the Buchanan for Bowles' system.  That we all get.  The other 3 DLs are the issue.

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The FO should work under the thinking that the staff will suceed and be in place for years.  Not thinking that the way to improve would be to bring in players that don't fit their system, guaranteeing failure.  Thinking that we're drafting for an imaginary CS would be dumb.

13 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

This has nothing to do with John Morton but I'm so tired of reading every article that starts with "he's the first one in the building and the last to leave"....I don't care if you work 40 hours a week or a 100 hours a week that doesn't define a good coach.  

I'm not sure how they can all be the first one in and the last one to leave.

This is actually something I've been wondering about, but I can't get a read on it.  Barkley was a weak armed QB and they ran some spread concepts with him, and Brees is extremely accurate, but also system fluid.  Joe Tiller basically installed the spread offense at Purdue and Brees rewrote the Big 10 record books with it, but he's accurate enough with good timing to run a WCO as well, so it's hard to figure out what his tendencies are.  

This is my wild guess (and somewhat hope as well) but as a WR coach, his main intent has to be to isolate his receivers into one on one match ups, and that's best accomplished by the spread offense.  Ideally, in a spread you want a QB with a strong arm, and some mobility (both Petty and Hack can move a bit, albeit not great) so I think they stay in house.  

If we're talking more with this year's draft, I think Watson fits better than Tribunsky, especially for experience and the ability to move, and the Clemson system is not too far away from the USC system when Morton was there.  

16 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I hate this too.

The least efficient, most useless, and negatively disruptive people I've ever worked with were also the "in first, out last" types. Time martyrs, the type who talk about "how late they worked last night" are - in the experience I've had with them - veiling their uselessness with a narrative about "hard work".

**** that. I work hard, which makes me efficient and able to get my work done quickly. If I decide to work late, it's because I've taken extra on - not out of the necessity that I need more time to complete my core responsibilities. 

lol this actually implies that hard working people are less effective. Some people (like myself) are the first one in. last one out but are also the most effective and productive in our fields. I get my work done and then some and then some of tomorrows stuff and then some of next months work done. There is nothing wrong with having a good work ethic. You know, the old early bird gets the worm thing....I don't have a clue if him being a hard worker is going to make him more or less effective as a coach but I'm not going to assume that him busting his ass is because he is ineffective and cant get his work done on time. The coaches he has worked for don't strike me as the type to retain people who are ineffective in their roles. 

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

lol this actually implies that hard working people are less effective. Some people (like myself) are the first one in. last one out but are also the most effective and productive in our fields. I get my work done and then some and then some of tomorrows stuff and then some of next months work done. There is nothing wrong with having a good work ethic. You know, the old early bird gets the worm thing....I don't have a clue if him being a hard worker is going to make him more or less effective as a coach but I'm not going to assume that him busting his ass is because he is ineffective and cant get his work done on time. The coaches he has worked for don't strike me as the type to retain people who are ineffective in their roles. 

In a lot of ways, they are. There are exceptions, depending upon the job really, but in the experience I've had - in the industries I've worked in - I've found that the people slogging through long days are doing so for 2 reasons: they manage their time poorly, and they are unimpactful contributors who look to be "long day" champions, rather than difference makers within the organization.

Don't take it personal. Lots of people prove this wrong daily - I don't doubt you. I'm generalizing my own specific observations.

To bring it back to the football context, the "first in, last out" praise doesn't mean sh*t - for a player or a coach. Sanchez was a long day hero... and it never materialized in better football playing. Give me talent, aptitude and commitment every day over the "long day hero". If you can combine all of it together, that's gravy... and likely a HOFer. 

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

There has been a bunch of back and forth on this point, but my problem with it is that the current coaching staff is the FO.  I think they are kind of a package deal. That is the one thing that I actually put on Woody.  

I could be out in left field here but I believe the Patriots are completely system oriented and plug in players based solely on the coaches requirements. You don't fit the system you get removed from the system. In no way does BB adjust his system completely based on the player. He has made adjustments but it stays fairly similar.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived