Interesting Analysis by Bill Polian

Augustiniak

Polian was on Mike and Mike this morning, and they were talking about drafting a qb with the top 3 picks.  Polian said he wouldn't take any of those qbs that high since none are close to being ready to start and cited Goff as the reason Fisher got fired.  Then Greeney asked Polian if a qb in college who does not call his own plays and does is not asked to go through reads is better off playing another year in that system or is better off going to the nfl and sitting behind a veteran and learning the pro game.  Polian's response was that if the qb is still honing his skills, then he's better off playing in college, but if the qb's skills are developed, then he's better off in the nfl.  Polian stressed that  the most important analysis of qbs for the draft will be on the chalkboard and mental evaluation.

I must say, after listening to Polian's analysis, it sounds like Hackenberg was better off leaving Penn State and that pop gun offense and coming to the pros.  It actually sounded like Polian was describing McCagnan's thought process for drafting Hack and sitting him for a year and acclimating him to the pro game.  While Hack obviously needs to improve his accuracy, his overall skill set would not have been helped by another year in that system, and that the reports of Hack's leadership and work ethic are real and will translate to accelerated development.

30 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Polian was on Mike and Mike this morning, and they were talking about drafting a qb with the top 3 picks.  Polian said he wouldn't take any of those qbs that high since none are close to being ready to start and cited Goff as the reason Fisher got fired.  Then Greeney asked Polian if a qb in college who does not call his own plays and does is not asked to go through reads is better off playing another year in that system or is better off going to the nfl and sitting behind a veteran and learning the pro game.  Polian's response was that if the qb is still honing his skills, then he's better off playing in college, but if the qb's skills are developed, then he's better off in the nfl.  Polian stressed that  the most important analysis of qbs for the draft will be on the chalkboard and mental evaluation.

I must say, after listening to Polian's analysis, it sounds like Hackenberg was better off leaving Penn State and that pop gun offense and coming to the pros.  It actually sounded like Polian was describing McCagnan's thought process for drafting Hack and sitting him for a year and acclimating him to the pro game.  While Hack obviously needs to improve his accuracy, his overall skill set would not have been helped by another year in that system, and that the reports of Hack's leadership and work ethic are real and will translate to accelerated development.

Thanks for sharing.  It is an interesting thought and I can see his point.

That said, 1 of if not 2 of these Qb's are going in the top 3 picks.  It's going to happen.  Jared Goff and Carson Wentz just went #1 and #2 and teams mortgaged their future to get one of them.  And who the **** are they exactly?  They're certainly not a Watson or Kizer for that matter. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

That said, 1 of if not 2 of these Qb's are going in the top 3 picks.  It's going to happen.  Jared Goff and Carson Wentz just went #1 and #2 and teams mortgaged their future to get one of them.  And who the **** are they exactly?  They're certainly not a Watson or Kizer for that matter. 

i could see that happening.  but he was speaking from an evaluation standpoint, what he would do.  he said he'd rather take garrappolo because he's ready to play.  then they got into a debate about how much of it is the system.  

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

This seems like a lot of work for a QB who just probably isnt good. There's no reason to overanalyze this. He either can complete passes or he cant.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Who mortgaged their future?  The Eagles have a pick in every round in 2017.   They still have #15 overall after trading their pick for Wentz.

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why did I think the Eagles gave up multiple 1st rounders for him? 

They did.  They gave up 1st, 3rd and 4th in 2016, plus 1st in 2017 and 2nd in 2018 for the Wentz pick and 4th or 5th this year.  They got a 1st back for Bradford and the 4th or 5th this year.  It will be a 4th if Cleveland gets a comp pick, otherwise a 5th, which is odd because I thought you couldn't move comp picks.  I'm not sure if they got some picks for moving Alonso, Maxwell and Murray or if those were just improving draft position.  

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

They did.  They gave up 1st, 3rd and 4th in 2016, plus 1st in 2017 and 2nd in 2018 for the Wentz pick and 4th or 5th this year.  They got a 1st back for Bradford and the 4th or 5th this year.  It will be a 4th if Cleveland gets a comp pick, otherwise a 5th, which is odd because I thought you couldn't move comp picks.   

Yeah. So remove the Bradford trade and that's a lot for a nobody.  

Immediately after Hack was drafted the analysts who they go to after each pick all said Hack has some raw talent but needs time. "I hope they give him time to develop" The plan the whole time was for Hack to sit out and learn the pro game and work on mechanics. We all need to relax and wait.

Think it is safe to day that if in FA Jets invest heavily in a Glennon, Taylor, etc. via pretty good $ or a trade for a QB(Like Bengals Backup for draft picks/$), they won't use their 1st pick on a QA and if one is there whether it be Watson, Trubinsky, Kizer, etc. they may try to trade down with someone who wants the QB and thinks the QB will be gone when they pick. Then their 6th overall is going to be spent either on a RB or Pass rusher at OLB since those will be BPA. If Jets don't invest much in a FA QB then if 1 of the 3 QBs I mentioned is there at 6 and the Jets like him, then he may be the pick. So, as I stated one can see the quandry for us here. The 1st case means we invest heavily in a QB that could be not very good, or we have to hope one drops to us in the draft who may not be ready to start from day 1. Both, could be bad options while the 3rd option picking up a vet backup like Hoyer and going with him plus our 2 kids at QB may also be pretty bad, but for that case you invest heavily everywhere else and hope for the best.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Could be but to say Fishermwho's chose for QB was Case freaking Keenum and who was one of the most overrated coaches of all time in the NFL was fired due to Goff was silly.

But if Goff played well or if Fisher went with the kid he wouldn't have pissed off so many especially given how much better Wentz looks today.  Fan base really needed to have someone to get behind and root for.  Fisher missed that opportunity 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

But if Goff played well or if Fisher went with the kid he wouldn't have pissed off so many especially given how much better Wentz looks today.  Fan base really needed to have someone to get behind and root for.  Fisher missed that opportunity 

If the queen had balls she'd be a hermaphrodite.

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Immediately after Hack was drafted the analysts who they go to after each pick all said Hack has some raw talent but needs time. "I hope they give him time to develop" The plan the whole time was for Hack to sit out and learn the pro game and work on mechanics. We all need to relax and wait.

i think just about everyone is okay waiting a bit for hack but imo it's really time for him to start showing something.  they need to get him into the game this season and see if he can be the guy.  the nfl isn't rocket science.  it shouldn't take much more than a season to get enough down.  guys like hack have been playing football since they were 8. 

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think just about everyone is okay waiting a bit for hack but imo it's really time for him to start showing something.  they need to get him into the game this season and see if he can be the guy.  the nfl isn't rocket science.  it shouldn't take much more than a season to get enough down.  guys like hack have been playing football since they were 8. 

Hack should be ready to play this year and hopefully we'll have an open qb competition.

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If the queen had balls she'd be a hermaphrodite.

Or if Fisher ran a modern offense and tried to work him into the lineup.

Not too much to ask when you draft a so called franchise QB that high to get him into the lineup

15 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bill Polian should be playing Senior bingo at the Senior citizens center he lost his mind years ago. 

Without a decent QB nothing else matters.

Polian makes some good points but like every GM considered "great" he had Jim Kelly in Buffalo & Payton Manning in Indy. Give him the Jets recent QBs & he'd be fired. Just like Belichick who I believe is a great coach, isn't winning 5 Super Bowls without Tom Brady at QB. It's all about the QB in todays NFL & anyone who doesn't believe that can explain to me Brady, Manning & Big Ben QBing 15 of the last 17 Super Bowls for the AFC!

15 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bill Polian should be playing Senior bingo at the Senior citizens center he lost his mind years ago. 

Without a decent QB nothing else matters.

Polian makes some good points but like every GM considered "great" he had Jim Kelly in Buffalo & Payton Manning in Indy. Give him the Jets recent QBs & he'd be fired. Just like Belichick who I believe is a great coach, isn't winning 5 Super Bowls without Tom Brady at QB. It's all about the QB in todays NFL & anyone who doesn't believe that can explain to me Brady, Manning & Big Ben QBing 15 of the last 17 Super Bowls for the AFC!

16 hours ago, SR24 said:

Hack should be ready to play this year and hopefully we'll have an open qb competition.

I like Hack alot, and actually wanted hs to draft him (in the 3rd not 2nd but I digress) My concern now him is, if Morton runs a west coast offense, I'm not sure that fits Hack's game.

Hacks limitations are short quick and accurate passes. The basis for a west coast offense, which open up deep plays which Hack can excel at.

I hope he can develop and improve his flaws because west coast is a cerebral offense that can utilize playaction and deep throws (Hack's strengths).

17 hours ago, SR24 said:

No, we need to light the torches and grab the pitchforks damnit!!! ;-) 

Archived