Quick fixes for success this season

Gee Andrezzi

32 minutes ago, HessStation said:

NO!!!!!!

1-15/Darnold or GFY

1-15 is just not gonna happen. Jets will have FA dollars after cuts & there are some decent CBs available plus the draft is loaded with secondary help too. Jets add speed to that secondary with Lee, Jenkins & Burris in their 2nd year, the defense will be pretty decent with Mo, Leo & a bunch of role players up front. Teams gonna win at least 5-8 games, especially after they get rid of the overpaid vets that added nothing.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Plus, if Hackenberg is the long term plan, why draft young WRs, RBs high in the draft when you already have some youngsters in Enunwa, Anderson, Smith, Peake & J.Marshall? I'm not opposed to a young RB in the 3rd or 4th, to back up Forte & Powell.Who knows, maybe Khiry Robinson comes all the way back after his bad luck breaks. I'd like the draft to go Hooker or Adams, Edge rusher?, move up to target a stud that drops to the bottom of the 2nd round using Sheldon Richardson as the trade bait. Could give the Jets 3 picks in the top 64.

The only real question mark on defense now is Harris and Pryor. Pryor I have no faith in, he's been inconsistently up and down more than seesaws his whole career so far. Big hitter but not good tackler and can't cover his nose with a damn tissue if he was sick. Harris has 1 more year left on his deal. We could cut him now but he can groom Lee and Jenkins for 1 more year too 

3 minutes ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

The only real question mark on defense now is Harris and Pryor. Pryor I have no faith in, he's been inconsistently up and down more than seesaws his whole career so far. Big hitter but not good tackler and can't cover his nose with a damn tissue if he was sick. Harris has 1 more year left on his deal. We could cut him now but he can groom Lee and Jenkins for 1 more year too 

Gilcrist/FS is a big question.

The CBs are at least one gaping hole.

An EDGE DPR (or even second run stop) is somewhat of a question.  Jenkins will be a solid EDGE against the run.  I think Greene gets Mauldin to get to the QB.  Will need someone else.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

please.  pryor hasn't shown to be the greatest safety but he was much better in 2015 than 2014.  he took a huge step backwards last season.  as a matter of fact, he was missed during the games he missed in 2015.

Ask yourself which is more likely;

Pryor had a terrible 2014, a good 2015, and a terrible 2016?

Or he had a terrible 2014, a bad or below average 2015 that you overestimated, and a terrible 2016?

23 minutes ago, varjet said:

Gilcrist/FS is a big question.

The CBs are at least one gaping hole.

An EDGE DPR (or even second run stop) is somewhat of a question.  Jenkins will be a solid EDGE against the run.  I think Greene gets Mauldin to get to the QB.  Will need someone else.

gilchrist will get cut he wont recover in time for training camp. Hopefully we draft hooker to replace him. Although CB is a huge need, I think it just looks worse cause revis fell off a cliff so drastically. Williams got hurt a bit which forced skrine into something he clearly isn't which is an outside CB. Burris is 6'1", 212. He can be a shutdown corner if he keeps playing how he did at the end of the season when he started to get reps. Pickup teez tabor in the 2nd round and we could have a young nucleus of big physical corners to work with for the future. Add hooker/Adams and that's our future with Lee, Jenkins and Leo Williams. Mo-wilk is only 26 too he's locked for 5 more years. This all depends on us going with a Safety at 6th pick tho

5 hours ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

Exactly. Same thing with the Seahawks. They went from nothing to something special in the blink of an eye, all because they revamped the defense and had a QB in Russell Wilson who could not only manage the game but play not to lose. Look at Alex smith lol, he's marginally average at best but he plays not to lose and relies on the defense. Hackenburg can just be ok enough and this whole thing goes from a "rebuild" to a 10-6 team if the defense is back to a 2015 respectable level

It's all about the qb

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Ask yourself which is more likely;

Pryor had a terrible 2014, a good 2015, and a terrible 2016?

Or he had a terrible 2014, a bad or below average 2015 that you overestimated, and a terrible 2016?

hey whatever.  you are entitled to your own opinions.

On 2/15/2017 at 6:03 PM, thadude said:

Brandon Marshall makes Enunwa and Anderson better.  I can see cutting Decker but not Marshall especially if he is at a reasonable cost ($7.5 mil) for one year left

Decker makes Marshall better

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Decker makes Marshall better

Their skill sets really complement each other perfectly. But that's besides the point. Marshall just wants to come back to NY so he can conveniently do his tv sh*t. Decker is 30 coming off 2 major surgeries. Cut them and let the young WRs show they belong for the future. Fitzpatrick did a triple backflip and face planted last season, and Anderson/enunwa still put up decent numbers considering, while Marshall struggled to just catch the ball when it really mattered. And Marshall is the one that vouched for Fitzpatrick to come back in the first place along with decker last offseason. They deserve to get cut.

Their skill sets really complement each other perfectly. But that's besides the point. Marshall just wants to come back to NY so he can conveniently do his tv sh*t. Decker is 30 coming off 2 major surgeries. Cut them and let the young WRs show they belong for the future. Fitzpatrick did a triple backflip and face planted last season, and Anderson/enunwa still put up decent numbers considering, while Marshall struggled to just catch the ball when it really mattered. And Marshall is the one that vouched for Fitzpatrick to come back in the first place along with decker last offseason. They deserve to get cut.

Hey newbie, a lot of posters here agreed with Marshall last off season IF the alternative was starting the awful Smith.  You wouldn't be implying that you think Smith was the better option, would you?

He does a specific sport, football, show that records in NY.  He travels to the show 1/2 of the season and he was on before coming to NY.  I don't think where he plays will effect his status with the show. Irvin and whoever else fills in for Marshall when he can't be there aren't NY'rs either.  And he is a Emmy winner for that show.

Marshall without Decker was doubled often.  Enunwa wasn't, Anderson wasn't.  When Marshall vouched for Fitz it wasn't why Fitz was brought back.  Personnel isn't Marshall's job.  That he was backing Fitz has nothing to do with cutting him.

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Here is my list of quick fixes for the Jets to be successful next year:

Sign Neil O'Donnell

Sign OTs Jumbo Elliott and David Williams

Sign WR Jeff Graham

Sign QB Frank Reich

I would love to sign Reich...as the HC.  It just might be the quick fix you're looking for. 

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Hey newbie, a lot of posters here agreed with Marshall last off season IF the alternative was starting the awful Smith.  You wouldn't be implying that you think Smith was the better option, would you?

Of course not. But I guess you forgot that geno originally beat Fitzpatrick in training camp before he got injured over $600? Lol Fitz wasn't supposed to be the starter anyway so was he really the better option in the first place? Fitz clearly had a lucky year in 2015 based off how he played so bad in 2016. Geno could have easily got lucky last year the same way as fitz did. (Not saying he would've) but that's neither here or there. We bailed fitz out by giving him a 1 year deal for $12 mil..and look how that played out lol

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He does a specific sport, football, show that records in NY.  He travels to the show 1/2 of the season and he was on before coming to NY.  I don't think where he plays will effect his status with the show. Irvin and whoever else fills in for Marshall when he can't be there aren't NY'rs either.  And he is a Emmy winner for that show.

Marshall without Decker was doubled often.  Enunwa wasn't, Anderson wasn't.  When Marshall vouched for Fitz it wasn't why Fitz was brought back.  Personnel isn't Marshall's job.  That he was backing Fitz has nothing to do with cutting him.

Good post.  On all counts.

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually part of the reason Chicago wanted to trade Marshall in the first place was cause he wanted to come to NYC to film his show during the week and miss practices lol Google it.

But I said we should cut Marshall cause even if he's not there, Anderson and enunwa arent star receivers that will draw double teams as they are not star receivers yet meaning that they will see single coverages during most games anyway. They were making plays against single coverages all year even with bad QB play.

If Anderson just bulks up 10 more pounds (which he most likely will this offseason) he can be legit. He's already crazy athletic with dangerous speed and jumping ability.  And enunwa is a TE in a WR body that made plays out of the slot all year.

it won't be like 2011 when our best receiver was Jeremy kerley lol

Actually part of the reason Chicago wanted to trade Marshall in the first place was cause he wanted to come to NYC to film his show during the week and miss practices lol Google it.

But I said we should cut Marshall cause even if he's not there, Anderson and enunwa arent star receivers that will draw double teams as they are not star receivers yet meaning that they will see single coverages during most games anyway. They were making plays against single coverages all year even with bad QB play.

If Anderson just bulks up 10 more pounds (which he most likely will this offseason) he can be legit. He's already crazy athletic with dangerous speed and jumping ability.  And enunwa is a TE in a WR body that made plays out of the slot all year.

it won't be like 2011 when our best receiver was Jeremy kerley lol

No way on earth did the Bears cut him because he did a show in NY on his off day.  Nice excuse, might sound better than the real reason.  He never misses practices to film, no chance any team would allow that.  

Anderson has a chance, I agree.  But let's not over do it.  He needs more than 10 lbs on his frame.  He does need to do more than run fly patterns every time he goes out for a pass.  He isn't anywhere near the WR that Marshall is right now.  

The thing with the trio of Enunwa, Decker and Marshall is that usually teams have 1 or 2 cbs that can deal with big bodied receivers, but its rare that teams have 3 competent dbs that can deal with that.  So the Jets gameplan was largely attacking this mismatch with the secondary depth.   When Decker went down, obviously a lot changes b/c you double Marshal and then put your big bodied db on Enunwa and then things were handled.

The Patriots do variations of this mismatch strat with Edelman, Amendola and White and it was hard for most teams to respond too b/c they don't have enough shifty 'agile' dbs or alternatively the double tight end + chris hogan thing was also really difficult to deal with..  

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No way on earth did the Bears cut him because he did a show in NY on his off day.  Nice excuse, might sound better than the real reason.  He never misses practices to film, no chance any team would allow that.  

Anderson has a chance, I agree.  But let's not over do it.  He needs more than 10 lbs on his frame.  He does need to do more than run fly patterns every time he goes out for a pass.  He isn't anywhere near the WR that Marshall is right now.  

Of course anderson isn't. I'd compare Anderson's skill set right now to Stephen hill. a big tall burner, and Anderson already proved he has wayyyy more potential than Stephen hill by simply catching the ball lol

all I'm saying is collectively the jets have 4 legit young receivers to work with. 5 including devin smith for john Morton to work the offensive scheme around their vastly different skill sets. And if anything sign victor cruz on a vet-minimum deal cause he wants to stay in the ny/nj area. He'll be able to help the young guys and if he doesn't get hurt then resign him next year

13 minutes ago, Hael said:

The thing with the trio of Enunwa, Decker and Marshall is that usually teams have 1 or 2 cbs that can deal with big bodied receivers, but its rare that teams have 3 competent dbs that can deal with that.  So the Jets gameplan was largely attacking this mismatch with the secondary depth.   When Decker went down, obviously a lot changes b/c you double Marshal and then put your big bodied db on Enunwa and then things were handled.

The Patriots do variations of this mismatch strat with Edelman, Amendola and White and it was hard for most teams to respond too b/c they don't have enough shifty 'agile' dbs or alternatively the double tight end + chris hogan thing was also really difficult to deal with..  

Right and all our young receivers have different skill sets to utilize especially Anderson, Peake, and enunwa. Jalin Marshall can have a chance to be another Jeremy kerley possibly. If john Morton brings the west coast scheme into the picture with a mix of downfield throws we'll be fine. Can't forget chan hailey had total disregard for TE seam routes and across the middle routes. That's stupid in today's NFL.

Archived