weird year for our 1st round pick

Phillyjet

Been preparing a bit for the draft, and here are some thoughts:

1) In the top 6 where we are, conventional thinking is an edge rusher, offensive tackle, or a quarterback.  Those are the premium positions.  But this year, beyond Myles Garrett, there are questions on all the other edge prospects, and the QBs and tackles are not worthy of a top 10 pick.   So there's that.  Convention is off the table.

2) That leaves the safeties, running backs, maybe Reuben Foster, a CB (Lattimore) and maybe a WR or two (WIlliams and Davis). ANd oh yeah, the tight end... but let's set it straight right now, no TE's in the top half of the first round!  And Foster just had rotator cuff surgery (gonna drop), Lattimore has basically one-year of experience and a h/o hamstring issues, Williams had a serious neck injury in his past.  So we are looking at a top 6 in which we are staring down a safety vs. RB decision potentially, or thinking that Lattimore is a generational corner.

3) And this is in a draft that is deep on corners and safeties with not a ton of separation between them.

Given that, here's how I might see it playing out... we either are going to take one of the safeties (which makes me a little edgy since we could easily get one in round 2 or later ). Or Fournette or Cook.  That's what is staring us down.

Right now, I am mocking Fournette (not sold on Cook at 6 but could be convinced) to us as a security blanket for Hack or our journeyman QB.  And then going OT, CB, or safety in second round.  Opposing teams would need to stack the line, which would create better match-ups for Hack on the outside.  And yes, I think Hack will be given every chance to win the starting position this year.

But if Fournette is gone, then the choice may be Adams or Hooker.  A safety at 6 in a draft deep on safeties?  I know we discuss trade-downs all the time, but this one may make too much damn sense, assuming that one of the teams in the teens will want to come up for a WR or a safety.  If they don't, we make the pick and take a safety (there, I said it).   But if we can slide back into the teens, my sense is the value in the first round will be in the teens.  Beyond the first couple of players at the top of round 1, the generational talent falls off quickly.  And if we pick in the teens, we'd have a selection of a CB (like a Marlon Humphrey or Sidney Jones), potentially Dalvin Cook, Reuben Foster (he will drop due to his shoulder), an edge rusher with a few question marks (like a Derek Barnett), or a WR like a Corey Davis.  We'd get back a pick or two (maybe a 2 and a 4) which would help us bring youth to the roster.  So it's Fournette, Adams or Hooker, or a trade-back.

Now the curveball:  an unexpected drop at the top of the draft if there is a run on QBs or safeties.  This year's candidate is once again a D-lineman, Jonathan Allen.  If he is sitting there at 6, I know we'd be thinking, "no, not again," but if we assume that we trade Sheldon, and with Mo now basically on a 1-year deal (with a team option next year), then bringing in Allen for a super-unit again (and to replace Mo next year) would not be crazy. And then working the second round (with maybe two picks, our own and from a Sheldon trade) to rebuild our secondary and offensive line. 

It is setting up to be a problem draft if you ask me for a lot of the reasons you are talking about.  No nice clear cut choice for us at 6.  The lack of olineman hurts as I'd like nothing better than to have a 2006 like draft and re-set the oilen for the next 10 years.

Rb is interesting because I look at how well powell did to end the year and I think what if we had a faster, stronger version of powell?  I do not think this regime values the RB spot though so I'll be pretty shocked if we take one there. 

As for WR I like the top two guys but I think this regime will not spend a high pick on one when they have had some success later on and in udfa.

Unless there is a big surprise and garrett falls I think we are taking CB or S.  As much as that will piss me off.  Some Cb is going to tear it up at the combine and I still think we choose CB.  As I've said before I think bowles is the quiet version of rex and he can't fathom that his schemes or coaching are not great so he will go hard after mac to get D help.

My overall preference unless we get a surprise drop would be to trade down, get more picks and then take advantage of the depth of areas and double dip.

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It is setting up to be a problem draft if you ask me for a lot of the reasons you are talking about.  No nice clear cut choice for us at 6.  The lack of olineman hurts as I'd like nothing better than to have a 2006 like draft and re-set the oilen for the next 10 years.

Rb is interesting because I look at how well powell did to end the year and I think what if we had a faster, stronger version of powell?  I do not think this regime values the RB spot though so I'll be pretty shocked if we take one there. 

As for WR I like the top two guys but I think this regime will not spend a high pick on one when they have had some success later on and in udfa.

Unless there is a big surprise and garrett falls I think we are taking CB or S.  As much as that will piss me off.  Some Cb is going to tear it up at the combine and I still think we choose CB.  As I've said before I think bowles is the quiet version of rex and he can't fathom that his schemes or coaching are not great so he will go hard after mac to get D help.

My overall preference unless we get a surprise drop would be to trade down, get more picks and then take advantage of the depth of areas and double dip.

i agree but then you run into the problem of, who is another team trading up for if these key positions are lacking in value at the top?  it's not like cleveland would really have to worry if they took a DE 1st and then wanted to trade back up for qb, these other teams behind the jets aren't taking a qb.

I don't think #6 is that problematic. 

If there is a run on QBs in the top 5, a guy like Allen will be there to use as trade bait to move down. Then we move down and take S.Jones-CB, who I absolutely love as a prospect. Or Fournette will fall to 6 and he is pretty much one of, if not THE, most talented player in the draft- JMHO. 

If there is no run on QBs early, well, the Jets can use a QB as trade bait. CLE would be a perfect trade partner as they have the 12th pick and two 2nd round picks. Again, I would take S.Jones at 12. 

We can literally go O-line in Rd 1 and Rd. 2 (as you suggested an O-line re-set like 2006) and take Cam at 6 (if he does't work out at LT we put him at RT or even OG, where he should dominate) and then draft a guy like Bolles or Garcia to develop into a LT in rd. 2. This is never going to happen b/c that is just not the way Macc operates and he just signed Winters, but its possible, in theory.

We can take a safety like Hooker or Adams at 6. This will allow us to cut Gilchrist and save some cap space. It would be a safe pick, IMO. And although taking a safety at 6 will not be a popular move, both Hooker and Adams are studs, so at least the talent is there.

So although there probably will not be a clear cut selection for the Jets at 6, there should be a ton of options.

No matter how you mock the top 5, there is simply no way to keep the Jets from either having a great trade chip or a great player to choose from.   

This is the WORST case scenario, IMO.

CLE- Garrett

SF- Trubinsky or #1 rated QB

CHI- Allen

Jax- Fournette

Tenn- Adams

At 6 the Jets are kind of stuck with the #2 rated QB who other teams may not want to move up for, taking the borderline #2 rated pass rusher in Barnette, taking Hooker, reaching for a guy like Ramzcyk or Robinson, or taking Cook or Williams. This is the WORST case scenario. So its really not that bad, I still like all of these prospects (except a QB).     

No edge rushers after Garret?!?!

Tim Williams - maybe an even better pass rusher than Garrett, would be a no brainier for us at 6 but has an issue with marijuana that may make him slide to 39

Taco Charlton - rated as a mid 1st round guy he really should be rated as a top 10 pick.  Has Ziggy Ansah written all over him.  Great physical tools and is still learning

8 hours ago, PepPep said:

This is the WORST case scenario, IMO.

CLE- Garrett

SF- Trubinsky or #1 rated QB

CHI- Allen

Jax- Fournette

Tenn- Adams

At 6 the Jets are kind of stuck with the #2 rated QB who other teams may not want to move up for, taking the borderline #2 rated pass rusher in Barnette, taking Hooker, reaching for a guy like Ramzcyk or Robinson, or taking Cook or Williams. This is the WORST case scenario. So its really not that bad, I still like all of these prospects (except a QB).     

the worst case scenario is fournette and hooker are taken and Allen is still there imho, lol

Based on all of the scenarios being laid out there is really no downside to this draft at all. The draft where we picked Gholston was a WORST CASE SCENARIO draft. We are a rebuilding team with sh*tty safeties, we need a #1 CB, Forte is old, Powell is no spring chicken, Marshall & Decker will need to be replaced & although Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, J.Marshall, Smith? Could all be serviceable WRs, none of them are #1 type WRs. So, based on our needs other than Olineman, this is an amazing draft that has me very excited about the prospects including Allen who would be a replacement for Sheldon Richardson. Don't forget that free agency also changes needs in the draft. Gilmore or Bouye could be targets at CB. Who's to say you don't give Eric Berry Revis money? That guy is a STUD! Williams or Davis @ WR? Hooker or Adams @ S, Fournette or Cook @ RB? lattimore or Jones @ CB? Allen @ DT? Seriously? If any of these scenarios are bad what was the Gholston draft? Obviously trading back is best case scenario, especially if it's at 12 with the Browns. That's where the "value" is especially if an Olineman is there & you've picked up another 2 and 4. Imagine if we could get a 2nd or 3rd for Shledon? Possible? I'm not sure but how sweet would it be to have 3 second round picks in this draft? Macc could make up for years of busts in the 2nd round for the Jets. How much fun would that be mocking three seconds rounders, DAMN!

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 1:29 PM, Jetster said:

Based on all of the scenarios being laid out there is really no downside to this draft at all. The draft where we picked Gholston was a WORST CASE SCENARIO draft. We are a rebuilding team with sh*tty safeties, we need a #1 CB, Forte is old, Powell is no spring chicken, Marshall & Decker will need to be replaced & although Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, J.Marshall, Smith? Could all be serviceable WRs, none of them are #1 type WRs. So, based on our needs other than Olineman, this is an amazing draft that has me very excited about the prospects including Allen who would be a replacement for Sheldon Richardson. Don't forget that free agency also changes needs in the draft. Gilmore or Bouye could be targets at CB. Who's to say you don't give Eric Berry Revis money? That guy is a STUD! Williams or Davis @ WR? Hooker or Adams @ S, Fournette or Cook @ RB? lattimore or Jones @ CB? Allen @ DT? Seriously? If any of these scenarios are bad what was the Gholston draft? Obviously trading back is best case scenario, especially if it's at 12 with the Browns. That's where the "value" is especially if an Olineman is there & you've picked up another 2 and 4. Imagine if we could get a 2nd or 3rd for Shledon? Possible? I'm not sure but how sweet would it be to have 3 second round picks in this draft? Macc could make up for years of busts in the 2nd round for the Jets. How much fun would that be mocking three seconds rounders, DAMN!

Aye - this years draft has me very excited. Luckily I am not in Mac's shoes as I just have played so many scenarios out in my head. Hope we can get a trade back and just retool the DB positions....would love for the Jets to somehow grab Hooker and S. Jones (I know that it is unlikely one will drop to the second), keep Pryor as the near the box safety and then grab another CB in the third. If we do get any value for Richardson spend that on the Edge and we have a nice looking D. Play the strength of the Draft IMO.

Of course I have made no offensive pick but if the value is not there I don't see why the Jets should stretch for it. We are in rebuild mode and if we struggle next year (inevitable) we can focus on offense in next years draft. We might pick up a couple of sleepers in the later rounds - you never know, especially at RB.

However, if the Jets were to take Fournette, who I think would be a good fit if we are going to be a power running/west coast unit, I would not be disappointed, I think our interior O-Line is a better fit for Fournette than for Cook who I think is a better player. I think there will be plenty of Edge talent at the top of the second. Not sure that I would take Allen if he is there at 6 - think that would be criminal considering how much investment has been made on the D-Line, also I like McClendon and Simon on the inside.

Glad I am not the GM!!!!

This draft is the year for defense. We can squeak by with a respectable defense even if the offense is not good enough. We could've easily went 8-8 this year if our db's weren't garbage all year. Build the defense first and worry about the offense more in next year's draft where there will be more talent for that side of the ball.

why draft a Rb so high at #6 when our o-line won't be good enough? Cook and fournette won't be running behind o-line like zeke has in Dallas so quit the comparisons to zeke. 

I would emphasize our biggest needs which are FS (really both S positions), CB, and Edge. There's so much talent at CB and Edge that we can find value in later rounds especially if we trade Richardson for a 2nd or 3rd.

And I think the regime signed Kevin Greene as a OLB coach with the mindset that he will help improve our current OLB's (Mauldin and Jordan Jenkins). This year will probably be mauldin's last chance to prove if he's really improving or a bust. Jenkins already looks like he'll be a Calvin pace-type OLB for years (not great at anything by solid at most things) and he already looks better than mauldin at this point. So we can afford to wait until 3rd or 4th for solid Edge rushers.

grab hooker in the first cause he fits what we need for defense; a young ball hawk who can change the game with big plays in the middle ( sort of like ed reed, earl Thomas-esque just being in the right spot at most times to make plays) then grab CB like teez tabor or CB who probably will drop to the 2nd round.

after that we can go for Edge and maybe find a possible replacement for David Harris; somebody who can partner with darron Lee for the future. But don't over reach if it isn't there

55 minutes ago, Stark said:

Free Agency is going to be huge for us this offseason. Once we see what Mac does in FA, it will make the draft picture a little more clear.

I seriously hope that what we do in free agency does not point to who we will draft.  This ******* guy better try to fill every hole with at least a passable player before draft day.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I seriously hope that what we do in free agency does not point to who we will draft.  This ******* guy better try to fill every hole with at least a passable player before draft day.

I agree. I don't want to not sign a safety in FA and sign all CB's to show that is where we may go with the 6th pick. but right now we have a lot of holes just as you said. Mac better have a plan of signing a solid group to where his "BPA" can work at any point in the draft.

14 hours ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

This draft is the year for defense. We can squeak by with a respectable defense even if the offense is not good enough. We could've easily went 8-8 this year if our db's weren't garbage all year. Build the defense first and worry about the offense more in next year's draft where there will be more talent for that side of the ball.

why draft a Rb so high at #6 when our o-line won't be good enough? Cook and fournette won't be running behind o-line like zeke has in Dallas so quit the comparisons to zeke. 

I would emphasize our biggest needs which are FS (really both S positions), CB, and Edge. There's so much talent at CB and Edge that we can find value in later rounds especially if we trade Richardson for a 2nd or 3rd.

And I think the regime signed Kevin Greene as a OLB coach with the mindset that he will help improve our current OLB's (Mauldin and Jordan Jenkins). This year will probably be mauldin's last chance to prove if he's really improving or a bust. Jenkins already looks like he'll be a Calvin pace-type OLB for years (not great at anything by solid at most things) and he already looks better than mauldin at this point. So we can afford to wait until 3rd or 4th for solid Edge rushers.

grab hooker in the first cause he fits what we need for defense; a young ball hawk who can change the game with big plays in the middle ( sort of like ed reed, earl Thomas-esque just being in the right spot at most times to make plays) then grab CB like teez tabor or CB who probably will drop to the 2nd round.

after that we can go for Edge and maybe find a possible replacement for David Harris; somebody who can partner with darron Lee for the future. But don't over reach if it isn't there

Don't we ignore the offense every year though? We always seem to retool the D and ignore the O or patch it up with FA. We've seen this story before - they still wont address the O next year given your strategy. Macc has been pretty balanced so far in his drafting, I'll give him that. 

I looked at the past 10 drafts to identify the number of players from each position taken in the top 10.  I also took the average of the top 25 salaries at each position from overthecap.com to evaluate draft value.  Side note: it was easier to group 34DE/DT and 34OLB/43DE for the salary calculations, since some of these players were drafted at one position but may play multiple it was easier to calculate this way.  Hence the same average salary for both sets of positions.  The last two columns provide a breakdown of the likelihood of that player becoming an all pro or pro bowl player.  Safety and running back are interesting selections in the top 10 as they have a high rate of being elite at their positions.  Wide receiver and corner backs could be the best value for the Jets this draft.  A 34DE is probably not the selection (unless Maccagnan can trade both Richardson and Wilkerson which ain't happening but would be interesting to say the least).  DT is a possibility but only if Allen really impresses.  Tackle would probably be the next best value. If the Jets were to go safety or running back they may not necessarily be looking at value as much as finding an elite player at their position.

POSITION NUMBER DRAFTED IN THE TOP 10 (LAST 10 DRAFTS) AVERAGE OF TOP 25 SALARIES AT POSITION ALL PRO PLAYERS (AT LEAST 1 YEAR) PRO BOWL PLAYERS (AT LEAST 1 YEAR) % OF ALL PRO % OF PRO BOWLER
QB 16 $19,044,780.00 2 6 12.50% 37.50%
34DE 6 $10,697,830.72 0 1 0.00% 16.67%
DT 9 $10,697,830.72 3 4 33.33% 44.44%
WR 12 $10,580,637.84 2 5 16.67% 41.67%
CB 8 $10,346,255.12 1 3 12.50% 37.50%
34OLB 4 $10,148,775.60 2 0 50.00% 0.00%
43DE 5 $10,148,775.60 0 1 0.00% 20.00%
T 19 $9,506,026.68 4 8 21.05% 42.11%
S 3 $6,908,461.76 1 2 33.33% 66.67%
TE 1 $6,587,236.00 0 0 0.00% 0.00%
G 2 $6,406,629.52 0 0 0.00% 0.00%
ILB 4 $5,705,231.48 2 2 50.00% 50.00%
RB 6 $5,073,392.88 2 4 33.33% 66.67%
43OLB 5 $4,540,412.16 2 3 40.00% 60.00%

1 hour ago, nyjbuddy said:

I looked at the past 10 drafts to identify the number of players from each position taken in the top 10.  I also took the average of the top 25 salaries at each position from overthecap.com to evaluate draft value.  Side note: it was easier to group 34DE/DT and 34OLB/43DE for the salary calculations, since some of these players were drafted at one position but may play multiple it was easier to calculate this way.  Hence the same average salary for both sets of positions.  The last two columns provide a breakdown of the likelihood of that player becoming an all pro or pro bowl player.  Safety and running back are interesting selections in the top 10 as they have a high rate of being elite at their positions.  Wide receiver and corner backs could be the best value for the Jets this draft.  A 34DE is probably not the selection (unless Maccagnan can trade both Richardson and Wilkerson which ain't happening but would be interesting to say the least).  DT is a possibility but only if Allen really impresses.  Tackle would probably be the next best value. If the Jets were to go safety or running back they may not necessarily be looking at value as much as finding an elite player at their position.

POSITION NUMBER DRAFTED IN THE TOP 10 (LAST 10 DRAFTS) AVERAGE OF TOP 25 SALARIES AT POSITION ALL PRO PLAYERS (AT LEAST 1 YEAR) PRO BOWL PLAYERS (AT LEAST 1 YEAR) % OF ALL PRO % OF PRO BOWLER
QB 16 $19,044,780.00 2 6 12.50% 37.50%
34DE 6 $10,697,830.72 0 1 0.00% 16.67%
DT 9 $10,697,830.72 3 4 33.33% 44.44%
WR 12 $10,580,637.84 2 5 16.67% 41.67%
CB 8 $10,346,255.12 1 3 12.50% 37.50%
34OLB 4 $10,148,775.60 2 0 50.00% 0.00%
43DE 5 $10,148,775.60 0 1 0.00% 20.00%
T 19 $9,506,026.68 4 8 21.05% 42.11%
S 3 $6,908,461.76 1 2 33.33% 66.67%
TE 1 $6,587,236.00 0 0 0.00% 0.00%
G 2 $6,406,629.52 0 0 0.00% 0.00%
ILB 4 $5,705,231.48 2 2 50.00% 50.00%
RB 6 $5,073,392.88 2 4 33.33% 66.67%
43OLB 5 $4,540,412.16 2 3 40.00% 60.00%

prett good table.  it shows why certain positions are in high demand but the odds of hitting a great player in the draft are a little slim.  it also shows that the other players that make warrant a top ten pick are really good.

On 2/24/2017 at 1:42 PM, nyjbuddy said:

I looked at the past 10 drafts to identify the number of players from each position taken in the top 10.  

pro bowl is a so-so way to judge because only a few guys get the honor out of 32 or 64 starters.

If you look at the "redraft" lists, it shows that all of this pre-draft stuff is a guess and we have no idea who will be any good.

I say you stick to the idea of taking positions that are typically hard to find and expensive in the first 2 rounds.

my concern for this year is it will be very hard to get good value trading down, because there are no coveted players at a position the jets can afford to pass up on, there are no QB, LT edge rushers for someone to trade up for that the jets shouldn't just draft themselves.

nobody is giving a big package for a safety or a RB.

On 2/26/2017 at 5:22 AM, Larz said:

pro bowl is a so-so way to judge because only a few guys get the honor out of 32 or 64 starters.

If you look at the "redraft" lists, it shows that all of this pre-draft stuff is a guess and we have no idea who will be any good.

I say you stick to the idea of taking positions that are typically hard to find and expensive in the first 2 rounds.

my concern for this year is it will be very hard to get good value trading down, because there are no coveted players at a position the jets can afford to pass up on, there are no QB, LT edge rushers for someone to trade up for that the jets shouldn't just draft themselves.

nobody is giving a big package for a safety or a RB.

Though looking at "redrafts" are helpful, they do make it difficult for conclusive analysis.  First, "redrafts" are the opinion of one person and to gather all the results from every "redraft" would be a tremendous effort with very inconsistent results.  It would be very difficult to come up with a definitive "redraft" result.  Secondly, "redrafts" vary based on the year that the "redraft" is done.  Note: I looked at the top 10 for redrafts for analysis (see below for links).  I looked at the top 10 of two 2007 "redrafts", one from 2012 and the other from 2015.  Out of the 10 picks, only 3 had the exact same pick while 2 players, Leon Hall and Joe Staley, were dropped from the top 10 and Marshawn Lynch and Greg Olsen were added.  Lastly, "redrafts" do not consider the effect that the pick will have on the salary cap which is the half of the measurement of finding value in a player.

Position-wise the 2009 and 2011 were pretty consistent in drafting premium players and not much changed in the "redrafts".  In the 2007, 2010 and 2013 drafts, there was a significant change in the number of "non-premium" position players that replaced "premium" position player".  For example, the 2007 draft had Gaines Adams replaced by Patrick Willis and Amobi Okoye replaced by Greg Olsen.  Levi Brown was dropped from the top 10 while Marshawn Lynch entered the top 10.  In the 2010 "redraft", Earl Thomas replaced Russell Okung, Jimmy Graham went number 2 overall, and Tyson Alualu was replaced by Rob Gronkowski.  In both drafts, the number one selection of a QB, was replaced by a WR, Calvin Johnson, in 2007 and a DT, Ndamukong Suh, in 2010.  Both the WR and DT are premium paid positions but not at the QB level.  Overall the trend seems to be that more "non-premium" position player replace "premium" position players in "redrafts".  Players like Adrian Petereson, Patrick Willis, Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles, Laron Landry, Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Rob Gronkowski, Greg Olsen, Jimmy Graham, Mark Barron seem to still be draftable in the top 10 in the "redrafts".

So going back to the OP's statements, its not unconventional for a team to take a running back, safety or even a tight end in the top 10, especially in "redrafts".  What you are drafting for is that player turns out to be elite at their position.  Out of those positions, safety might be the one that is the most consistent at finding an elite player.  Only time will tell whether a player will be elite at their position but a lot of the top 10 "non-premium" position players in this draft seem to have that elite talent, skill and athleticism that scouts look for.

For consistancy analysis and examples I used nfl.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000474304/article/2006-nfl-draft-doover-reggie-bush-falls-to-raiders-at-no-7
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8282b626/article/megatron-not-russell-goes-no-1-in-2007-draft-redo
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000477786/article/2007-draft-doover-darrelle-revis-to-cleveland-browns-at-no-3
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339246/article/2008-nfl-draft-doover-cj2k-to-raiders
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156632/article/2009-nfl-draft-doover-mike-wallace-percy-harvin-hit-top-five
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000160991/article/2010-nfl-draft-doover-seattle-seahawks-nab-rob-gronkowski
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340330/article/2010-nfl-draft-doover-suh-goes-to-the-rams
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000157825/article/2011-nfl-draft-doover-buffalo-bills-scoop-up-colin-kaepernick
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000371643/article/2011-nfl-draft-doover-recasting-the-first-20-picks
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000651822/article/2011-nfl-draft-doover-buffalo-bills-land-jj-watt-at-no-3
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341796/article/2012-nfl-draft-doover-redskins-take-wilson-not-rgiii
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000652048/article/2012-nfl-draft-doover-redskins-take-russell-wilson-not-rgiii
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000343923/article/2013-nfl-draft-doover-receiver-goes-no-1-to-chiefs
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000622394/article/2013-nfl-draft-doover-deandre-hopkins-goes-no-1-to-chiefs

For all other analysis I used whatever came up on Google when searching "[year] redraft nfl"

On 2/24/2017 at 0:02 AM, IntoTheGreen said:

Don't we ignore the offense every year though? We always seem to retool the D and ignore the O or patch it up with FA. We've seen this story before - they still wont address the O next year given your strategy. Macc has been pretty balanced so far in his drafting, I'll give him that. 

Who's saying ignore the O? I'm saying use your early round picks on CBs and LB's (which is what the strength of this draft is) and save your late picks on possible diamonds in the rough on offense.

Leonard Williams is a perfect example. He was rated the best overall player in the draft and he was still there at #6 in 2015 draft. We had to take him.

Did we ignore the O last year drafting HACK in the 2nd round, after nobody even had Hack rated higher than a 3rd rounder at best? When we could've got dak Prescott in the 3rd round?

all I'm saying is don't draft a guy like fournette when RB isn't a dire need for our offense at this moment. Don't draft a QB at #6 when none of the QB's are actually valued to be a #6 overall prospect.

draft a safety cause our safety position is  a need that is very weak and hooker/Adams are both projected to be 2 of the best safeties in the draft. I wouldn't take lattimore from OSU so early only cause there are an abundance of CB's that project to be starter quality shutdown players in the draft. Safety? Not so much.

Archived