Report: Jets Decline Option on Clady, set to Become Free Agent

JetNation

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, rangerous said:

this doesn't mean he won't be re-signed but at less money.  it could mean they have a deal ready with iajalana or they feel they can get their guy in the draft.  i don't think any of the mock drafts have a tackle going in the top 6 so maybe their plan is to move down a couple of places.

If there were an LT in the draft that you could count on starting on day 1, they would be going in the top 6. 

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Every word of this is wrong, including "was" and "a."

I am thankful for baby steps with Macc at this point. I do wonder, however, if he would have still backed out of Clady's option yr had he not first painted himself into a corner cap-wise. 

Net cost for Clady's 8 starts (most of which playing badly+injured): $6m plus a high 4th rounder this year. Toss that in with the $5m for 5 starts from the great Breno Giacomini, who was injured already before the season started. Just a masterful job of roster and cap management. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I am thankful for baby steps with Macc at this point. I do wonder, however, if he would have still backed out of Clady's option yr had he not first painted himself into a corner cap-wise. 

Net cost for Clady's 8 starts (most of which playing badly+injured): $6m plus a high 4th rounder this year. Toss that in with the $5m for 5 starts from the great Breno Giacomini, who was injured already before the season started. Just a masterful job of roster and cap management. 

it's not like good LT's are available for cheap.   he took a short term chance, it didn't work out.  what I like is that he hasn't crippled our cap going forward, we have many places to make room but it all comes down to drafting smart.  I still have confidence in him.

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That was a 5th rounder well spent.

Works out to be this year's 4th. Since we'd just traded away our 2016 5th, we had to then trade away the following (2017) year's 4th to recover it. 

So it's roughly the 100th pick in this year's draft, plus $6m, for half a year of subpar production. 

:bag: 

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Works out to be this year's 4th. Since we'd just traded away our 2016 5th, we had to then trade away the following (2017) year's 4th to recover it. 

So it's roughly the 100th pick in this year's draft, plus $6m, for half a year of subpar production. 

BIG MAC ATTACK BABY

44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well when you put it that way... my god. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

To be fair, a 5th this year is generally worth a 4th next year.  

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 

Dolphins will be releasing LT Branden Albert today, source says. It's Tunsil time there. Adds an intriguing option to the tackle market.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 

Albert couldn't stay healthy, may not be equipped to play LT anymore. College experience at G could help him. Miami saves $7.2M on the cap.

What will Dolphins decide on Branden Albert?

He turns 33 next season, which isn’t too old for a good tackle. And Albert is good. He’s also a great veteran presence. He helps the younger players.

That’s what makes this such a dilemma.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/sfl-hyde5-the-tough-dolphins-call-of-branden-albert-20170215-story.html

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 

Dolphins will be releasing LT Branden Albert today, source says. It's Tunsil time there. Adds an intriguing option to the tackle market.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 

Albert couldn't stay healthy, may not be equipped to play LT anymore. College experience at G could help him. Miami saves $7.2M on the cap.

He made the PRo Bowl in 2015. PLayed with Brick at Virginia.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

MACC MAGICC

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

MACC MAGICC

Two major errors with Sperm's innundation.

1. The Jets traded a 5th round pick for Clady, not a 4th. So where does his "high 4th" pick lose come from?

2. The Jets got back a 7th round pick for Clady from Denver, which became Lachlan Edwards, our starting punter.  So he has to take that into account. Also the fact that Denver traded away our 5th round pick once they got it.

3. This is a general opinion. But if we supposedly wasted 11m on two players and got 10m back in cap space from Clady, that means there's virtually no consequence.

Again, Not harming our future in any way

22 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

innundation.

uhh

22 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

2. The Jets got back a 7th round pick for Clady from Denver, which became Lachlan Edwards, our starting punter.

Good: mitigating the disaster of a trade by getting a pick back

Bad: using that pick on a punter

Worse: using that pick on a punter who's ******* terrible

23 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Also the fact that Denver traded away our 5th round pick once they got it.

What Denver does with our pick once we flush it down the toilet has nothing to do with us.

23 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

3. This is a general opinion. But if we supposedly wasted 11m on two players and got 10m back in cap space from Clady, that means there's virtually no consequence.

Except throwing a pick away on a guy who only appeared in 9 games, but hey who's counting

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

uhh

Good: mitigating the disaster of a trade by getting a pick back

Bad: using that pick on a punter

Worse: using that pick on a punter who's ******* terrible

What Denver does with our pick once we flush it down the toilet has nothing to do with us.

Except throwing a pick away on a guy who only appeared in 9 games, but hey who's counting

We didn't throw a pick away. We got a pick back. For a net gain of zero. Especially since that pick turned into a starter for our team, and their pick was traded away.

Once again no consequence.

And you don't think punters are important? And you are hating on a rookie one? Jeez.

25 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

We didn't throw a pick away. We got a pick back. For a net gain of zero. Especially since that pick turned into a starter for our team, and their pick was traded away.

Once again no consequence.

And you don't think punters are important? And you are hating on a rookie one? Jeez.

We absolutely threw a pick away, because the guy was expensive and old and known to have major injury issues, and only played in 9 games. Getting a pick back is not a "net gain of zero," unless you think a 5th and 7th round pick are exactly as valuable as one another. Again, what they did with the pick after we gave it to them has nothing to do with us and is totally irrelevant.

I don't think punters are important enough to draft, and I'm hating on one who was 29th in punting average this year.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Two major errors with Sperm's innundation.

1. The Jets traded a 5th round pick for Clady, not a 4th. So where does his "high 4th" pick lose come from?

2. The Jets got back a 7th round pick for Clady from Denver, which became Lachlan Edwards, our starting punter.  So he has to take that into account. Also the fact that Denver traded away our 5th round pick once they got it.

KellyAnne WhoFan.

Just now, dbatesman said:

We absolutely threw a pick away, because the guy was expensive and old and known to have major injury issues, and only played in 9 games. Getting a pick back is not a "net gain of zero," unless you think a 5th and 7th round pick are exactly as valuable as one another. Again, what they did with the pick after we gave it to them has nothing to do with us and is totally irrelevant.

I don't think punters are important enough to draft, and I'm hating on one who was 29th in punting average this year.

He was 28th in punt average, but he was 17th in punts inside the 20 and 11th in fair catches forced.

The 5th and 7th pick are close enough to be about the same in value. If it was 2nd and 7th, that's another story.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

To be fair, a 5th this year is generally worth a 4th next year.  

Yes, this is what I'm saying. It cost our 4th this year to replace the lost 5th last year. Fairly textbook trade on paper - a round higher the following year - but it was made necessary by the Clady trade in the first place. 

Looked at through that lens, the trade for Clady, to rent him for short term, cost us a 2nd round pick in 2019 lol. 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes, this is what I'm saying. It cost our 4th this year to replace the lost 5th last year. Fairly textbook trade on paper - a round higher the following year - but it was made necessary by the Clady trade in the first place. 

Looked at through that lens, the trade for Clady, to rent him for short term, cost us a 2nd round pick in 2019 lol

Can you explain this please?

Archived