Revis involved in Altercation; Criminal Charges Filed - MERGED

Matt39

12 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Who considers him the best of all time at the position? You? I surely don't. While Revis effectively shut down the opposing teams star wideout did his play influence the balance of power in the NFL? Deion Sanders did that while playing for the Cowboys and 49'ers. When those teams slugged it out in the NFC Championship Games back in the day it was Sanders who was the difference for either team he played for. Revis never came close to that. Just so we are clear I don't think Sanders was the best of all time at his position either. He was better than Revis in his prime though.

Calling you stubborn and pigheaded may be in your opinion childish but it is also the truth. Based on your posts you believe your opinions to be factual and when called on it still insist what you believe to be true is. So in effect calling you stubborn and pigheaded may be MY opinion but you prove it almost every time you post. As I said before we agree to disagree. Leave it at that okay?

Revis didn't just shut down the opposing team's star wideout, the coach designed the whole defense to force teams to throw it to their best wideout.  That didn't influence the balance of power in the NFL?  Then how the **** did that team, with Sanchez behind center make it to two straight AFC title games?  Read some of the advanced metric guys on his 2009 season.  They were wearing leather helmets when any DB did better.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

I may be in the minority but I would not mind bringing Revis back at a reduced rate and trying him at safety. I also don't think those charges against him are going to stick so I would not let his legal issues be a deciding factor.

If Revis gave two craps about giving 100% on the field, then a move would be good.  However, he mailed it in last year.  He needs to be cut ASAP.  Why wait, do it now McCagnan.

14 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

If Revis gave two craps about giving 100% on the field, then a move would be good.  However, he mailed it in last year.  He needs to be cut ASAP.  Why wait, do it now McCagnan.

Well they don;t want to cut him just yet because there may have been cap savings to wait if his rush with the law let them out of the 6 mill they owe him.  However since the court case has been put over until mid March they may have to act sooner if they want to save the 2 million roster bonus he is due at the start of the new year.

On February 21, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

One could make a case Revis isn't even our best corner of all-time.  Aaron Glenn spent 8 solid years with the Jets, with 3 Pro Bowl appearances.  James Hasty was here for 7, went to 2 Pro Bowls and tied for the most interceptions in the league in 1999. 

Revis has been here for 8 years and made 7 Pro Bowls over the course of his career, but only really deserved it in 2009 and 2011.  He was living off his name in subsequent years.  One transcendent year, one very good year, and the rest of the time he's been merely good or mediocre. 

Yeah, right.  He was the best CB in the league from 2009-2013.  He also deserved to make the Pro Bowl in 2008 and 2014.  He was still good in 2015, although that was the beginning of the end.

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Revis is ranked 4th in this list...but its just THEIR Opinion.

http://nyj.247sports.com/ContentGallery/Ranking-the-10-best-New-York-Jets-players-ever-51409403/11

again, as far as importance I wouldn't rank him #1 but he's the best actual player we have ever had(in their prime).

how about this quote from damien Woody who played w/ the greatest QB of all time and against some of the greatest of all time:

1rywbl.jpg

9 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I agree w/ you, I can do that at times and I apologize for it.  I do get caught up in this nonsense sometimes and I am sure I will again in the future.

again though it's not "best Jet" but best player in franchise history.  I would put a bunch of guys ahead of him on a "best Jets" list.  

there has never been a better cover corner than revis and he is in the discussion for best of all time.

Sanders was the difference maker?

1994 NFC Championship Game w/ deion vs. Irvin:

Michael Irvin: 12 recs, 192 yds 2 TDs

1992 and 1993 NFC title games w/o deion on SF:

Irvin:

6-86 in '92

2-23 in '93

the difference maker was Jerry Jones and jimmy Johnson parting ways.  Deion went to ready made teams for his 1994 and 1995 SBs.  he hopped on the bandwagon, revis was much more of a difference maker for NE in 2014 than Deion in 1994 or 1995. 

Deion made flashier plays as he was a TD waiting to happen if he got his hands on the ball but he would get beat often b/c he'd try to cheat to get INts.

there you go again, you have nothing to counter my argument and instead resort to childish attacks.  I feel bad for you.

Like I said before we agree to disagree on Revis. You will never realize that your opinions are just that. Revis was a good player in his prime but the best ever? No. Say what you want about Deion but he was on Revis' level and he was not that good as you point out. Its a shame You cannot apply your own logic to Revis. He was a good player on bad teams. The defensive scheme and other facets of that defense was a huge factor in building Revis' so-called legend. He was a non-factor in TB and Belichek was able to bring out the best in him as was Rex. When on a team with a different coach and essentially the same personnel he was exposed. You can't see that and would never admit it. Good Luck with that though.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Whatever you say, detective. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/five-years-of-pff-grades-top-10-cornerbacks/

1. Darrelle Revis, New York Jets (+80.7)

It should give you an idea of just how good Revis has been that his grade over five years in coverage is nearly twice as good as anything anyone else has produced. That he did that despite missing nearly all of the 2012 season makes it all the more remarkable.

His standout year remains the fantastic 2009 that saw him shut down a plethora of receivers on his way to allowing just 36.9% of balls to be complete into his coverage. Even that league-leading number didn’t do justice to a season that will go down as one of the best of any cornerback in the modern era. Proving himself no one-season wonder, Revis would also lead our coverage rankings in 2011, making it easier to see why the Bucs were so happy to invest big in him.

PFF also gave him the highest coverage grade in 2013 and had him as one of the top four CBs in the league in 2014.

Only a Jets fan could be dumb enough to argue the greatness of one of the few Jets players who was actually great.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Like I said before we agree to disagree on Revis. You will never realize that your opinions are just that. Revis was a good player in his prime but the best ever? No. Say what you want about Deion but he was on Revis' level and he was not that good as you point out. Its a shame You cannot apply your own logic to Revis. He was a good player on bad teams. The defensive scheme and other facets of that defense was a huge factor in building Revis' so-called legend. He was a non-factor in TB and Belichek was able to bring out the best in him as was Rex. When on a team with a different coach and essentially the same personnel he was exposed. You can't see that and would never admit it. Good Luck with that though.

I don't know where you guys come up with this garbage.  The guy had the best coverage grade in the league that year and was coming off of an ACL tear.

Belicheat then gave the guy $12 million dollars, which he never does.  That should tell you something.

2 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

It should give you an idea of just how good Revis has been that his grade over five years in coverage is nearly twice as good as anything anyone else has produced. That he did that despite missing nearly all of the 2012 season makes it all the more remarkable.

His standout year remains the fantastic 2009 that saw him shut down a plethora of receivers on his way to allowing just 36.9% of balls to be complete into his coverage. Even that league-leading number didn’t do justice to a season that will go down as one of the best of any cornerback in the modern era. Proving himself no one-season wonder, Revis would also lead our coverage rankings in 2011, making it easier to see why the Bucs were so happy to invest big in him.

PFF also gave him the highest coverage grade in 2013 and had him as one of the top four CBs in the league in 2014.

Only a Jets fan could be dumb enough to argue the greatness of one of the few Jets players who was actually great.

In the words of the great Janet  Jackson... " what have you done for me lately?" 

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

I like Deion's opinion.  He would know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OomJC0oCbyc

54 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Case cracked, detective.  

4 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

I don't know where you guys come up with this garbage.  The guy had the best coverage grade in the league that year and was coming off of an ACL tear.

Belicheat then gave the guy $12 million dollars, which he never does.  That should tell you something.

Statistically revis still had a very good season in 2015 for us.  

Last year he was hurt plus he showed up fat to TC and gave up by week 3.  I think Revis will try to prove himself next year and work harder

If Bowles wasn't retarded he could actually help Revis by playing more zone and putting a safety over the top occasionally

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Case cracked, detective.  

Listen son, you don't know what you're talking about.  You were just making sh*t up in your post.  When your peers vote you the best defensive player in the NFL and everyone from Deion Sanders to Bill Belicheat says you're an all-time great, you're an all-time great.  It wasn't just Jets fans saying it, it was everyone.  

Mike ******* Francesa, a pure Jets hater, said this guy was the best defensive player in the NFL (and said it on multiple occasions throughout the years): 

“Right now, we’re welcomed in by the best defensive player in the game right now and the only Jet who talks to me these days, the only one who likes me still.”

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2011/10/darrelle-revis-hangs-up-on-mike-francesa-after-radio-host-tells-cornerback-he-got-away-with-a-penalt/

7 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Revis was playing man, lined up against the oppositions best WR.  So that the Jets were good or bad has nothing to do with the comparison.  Scheme?  Playing man against the top WR is an advantage to who?  

5 hours ago, thadude said:

Statistically revis still had a very good season in 2015 for us.  

Last year he was hurt plus he showed up fat to TC and gave up by week 3.  I think Revis will try to prove himself next year and work harder

If Bowles wasn't retarded he could actually help Revis by playing more zone and putting a safety over the top occasionally

So much about this is wrong I don't even know where to start. Revis was bad in 2016 and 2015 the only reason it seemed like he was solid was because Cro was on the other side getting torched weekly. The secondary has been very bad since Macc got here despite sinking a boatload of cash into it. 

Having a bad wrist is no reason to show up to camp out of shape. If you think Revis is going to work harder to prove himself while still making 17 million a year, then I don't know what to tell you. He's mailed it in for two seasons now. 

If you're paying a corner 17 million dollars, why would you have to roll a safety to that side? That completely defeats the purpose of having Revis. If he's not good enough to win battles one on one then it's time to cut him. And they should. 

12 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Revis had a handful of great seasons.

In my opinion he does not belong in the same sentence as Sanders or even Carles Woodson both of whom had truly great careers and never showed up fat and complacent.

Revis is a borderline HOFer.

This is similar to my opinion as well.  I don't see Revis as better than Darrell Green, for example.

The entire Revis legacy is down to two things:

1. Hype, i.e. "Revis Island" and the media lip flapping about him, in part earned from his two truly elite years of 2008-2009.  

2. Untested.  His early success combined with usually having a sh*t #2 on the other side meant teams never tested Revis, nor did they have to test him to win.  I don't rank guys no one bothers to throw at as "great" for that alone.  As soon as people started testing Revis, Revis' "mystique" evaporated.

Combine with being a real problem for the Jets (holdouts, injuries, attitude) and taking us a spectacularly large amount of cap space for a single CB, and frankly I'm not a fan of Revis.  Was he a top-level elite CB?  Yes, for a few short years, aided and abetted by teams not having to throw at him and so never really being tested much.  But his time of elite play was brief (for a HOF'er), and his cost (beyond his rookie deal) always exceeded his on-field value to the Jets.  

And I don't see Revis as a "great Jet", I see Revis as a great CB who played for a bit for the Jets.  He had no loyalty or love for this team over any other.  

Frankly, I'll be glad when he, and his massive slice of cap space, are gone, and we can perhaps sign or draft CB's more in line with the value they provide.

And again, if Revis committed a crime, I hope he, like any of us, pays for it to the maximum extent of the law.  

7 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Listen son, you don't know what you're talking about.  You were just making sh*t up in your post.  When your peers vote you the best defensive player in the NFL and everyone from Deion Sanders to Bill Belicheat says you're an all-time great, you're an all-time great.  It wasn't just Jets fans saying it, it was everyone.  

Mike ******* Francesa, a pure Jets hater, said this guy was the best defensive player in the NFL (and said it on multiple occasions throughout the years): 

“Right now, we’re welcomed in by the best defensive player in the game right now and the only Jet who talks to me these days, the only one who likes me still.”

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2011/10/darrelle-revis-hangs-up-on-mike-francesa-after-radio-host-tells-cornerback-he-got-away-with-a-penalt/

This is a cold case, detective.  You solved it already. 

14 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

you are entitled to your opinion, I am trying to bring something w/ my opinions.  you are simply stating I am wrong w/ nothing to back up your argument.  I present my arguments, others can choose whether they agree or disagree.  it really makes no difference to me if people agree w/ me.

so now you are saying it was rex(and laughably BB)? so where are the other corners rex has turned into all time greats? where are these others BB has turned into all time greats?

In tampa Bay he was coming off major surgery and wasn't close to 100%, they ran a different scheme and he was STILL one of the best corners in the game.  In NE he was the difference maker in a SB championship team and again was one of the best corners in the game.

14 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Revis had a handful of great seasons.

In my opinion he does not belong in the same sentence as Sanders or even Carles Woodson both of whom had truly great careers and never showed up fat and complacent.

Revis is a borderline HOFer.

Woodson is laughable, he was a guy who was a much better S than CB(just like the other woodson).  NO CORNER has ever shut down tip WRs like Revis.  Guys like Deion and Woodson were better playmakers but they would also get beat...a lot.  

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Woodson is laughable, he was a guy who was a much better S than CB(just like the other woodson).  NO CORNER has ever shut down tip WRs like Revis.  Guys like Deion and Woodson were better playmakers but they would also get beat...a lot.  

Woodson is laughable? Your statement is so laughable you can only be trolling.

Please let me know when todays fat lazy Revis gets the 65 ints, 1000 tackles, 20 sacks and 11 touchdowns CW has.

Revis is as talented as anyone but his #1 passion was only $. 

Woodson played like his hair was on fire his whole career and his teamates followed his no holds barred approch to the game.

PS Revis will never make the switch to safety and if he does he will be marginal at best.

22 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Woodson is laughable? Your statement is so laughable you can only be trolling.

Please let me know when todays fat lazy Revis gets the 65 ints, 1000 tackles, 20 sacks and 11 touchdowns CW has.

Revis is as talented as anyone but his #1 passion was only $. 

Woodson played like his hair was on fire his whole career and his teamates followed his no holds barred approch to the game.

PS Revis will never make the switch to safety and if he does he will be marginal at best.

INTs are nice but when you shut down opposing WRs you have less chances for INts.  Woodson got beat weekly, Revis rarely ever got beat.  Woodson is nowhere near Revis as a cover corner.

Revis' work ethic was second to none, this was the first year anyone could question him and let's not forget he was not healthy all offseason.

13 hours ago, nyjunc said:

INTs are nice but when you shut down opposing WRs you have less chances for INts.  Woodson got beat weekly, Revis rarely ever got beat.  Woodson is nowhere near Revis as a cover corner.

Revis' work ethic was second to none, this was the first year anyone could question him and let's not forget he was not healthy all offseason.

Revis made a living off his early seasons. No one threw the ball to his side or whatever side he played on because of the "Revis Island" crap. He had a rep and teams stayed away from him. Last season Revis was embarrassed numerous times. Maybe his hype went to his head? Maybe the rest of the league finally realized no man is an island? Revis was a great player but to say he was the difference in the Patriots win is laughable. So Brady and Co had nothing to do with winning the Super Bowl when the great Revis was on that team? Like I said before we agree to disagree on Revis. You think he was the best of all time. I think he was a good corner who could sometimes dominate but was more a product of reputation than technique. Since the "Revis Worshipers"  can't get off their knee's long enough to see any other possibility it remains folly to argue with them. Agree to disagree.

On 2/22/2017 at 3:30 PM, nyjunc said:

can you present your case for Glenn and/or hasty being better than revis?

Glenn got fined 10K for not tucking in his jersey and quitter socks. Now everyone is a slob. Glenn, that fashion plate, whiffed on the spike that I saw in slow motion in person up close and personal, didn't retire a Jet (sigh); but his contribution and sacrifice to haute couture should never be overlooked. 

7 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Revis made a living off his early seasons. No one threw the ball to his side or whatever side he played on because of the "Revis Island" crap. He had a rep and teams stayed away from him. Last season Revis was embarrassed numerous times. Maybe his hype went to his head? Maybe the rest of the league finally realized no man is an island? Revis was a great player but to say he was the difference in the Patriots win is laughable. So Brady and Co had nothing to do with winning the Super Bowl when the great Revis was on that team? Like I said before we agree to disagree on Revis. You think he was the best of all time. I think he was a good corner who could sometimes dominate but was more a product of reputation than technique. Since the "Revis Worshipers"  can't get off their knee's long enough to see any other possibility it remains folly to argue with them. Agree to disagree.

so you think QBs and OCs were thinking about 2009 Revis in 2014/2015 and didn't attack him enough b/c of that?

NE couldn't get over the hump for many years, he solidified that D and it was a big reason why they won.  Brady was still obviously reason #1 but Revis put them over the top.

a "good corner":lol:

he dominated in an era where all the rules were skewed to offense and he never had a big time pass rusher to take the pressure off. 

I am still waiting for you to actually present a legitimate argument. it's ok to disagree but all you seem to do is bash "Revis worshipers" w/o presenting any argument.

6 hours ago, jetophile said:

Glenn got fined 10K for not tucking in his jersey and quitter socks. Now everyone is a slob. Glenn, that fashion plate, whiffed on the spike that I saw in slow motion in person up close and personal, didn't retire a Jet (sigh); but his contribution and sacrifice to haute couture should never be overlooked. 

I was sitting in that EZ when glenn gave up the fake spike.  he was a rookie so I give him a pass for that but it's incredible how overrated he is w/ Jet fans.  you would think seeing someone as great as Revis would allow them to see it but for most fans it's what have you done for me lately and they already forget how dominant Revis was b/c he had the audacity to have one bad season.  this is the same group of fans that worship Joe Namath who had more bad seasons than good ones.

21 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Sorry but you lose all cred when you describe Woodson, after the career he had, as laughable.

Archived