Revis involved in Altercation; Criminal Charges Filed - MERGED

Matt39

7 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Revis made a living off his early seasons. No one threw the ball to his side or whatever side he played on because of the "Revis Island" crap. He had a rep and teams stayed away from him. Last season Revis was embarrassed numerous times. Maybe his hype went to his head? Maybe the rest of the league finally realized no man is an island? Revis was a great player but to say he was the difference in the Patriots win is laughable. So Brady and Co had nothing to do with winning the Super Bowl when the great Revis was on that team? Like I said before we agree to disagree on Revis. You think he was the best of all time. I think he was a good corner who could sometimes dominate but was more a product of reputation than technique. Since the "Revis Worshipers"  can't get off their knee's long enough to see any other possibility it remains folly to argue with them. Agree to disagree.

Patently false.Think what you want, but I don't want any other numbskulls repeating this in five years like it is fact.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revis at his prime was one of the greatest CBS ever to play.   He was a critical piece to the Jets 2 championship game appearances.   He was a great pick by Tanny and Mangini.  To those who say that the best college Cb film they have seen since Revis was Marcus Peters, I say we should have picked Peters too.  That is why the Chiefs are a better franchise.

Revis' second stint with the Jets was a Woody PR ploy.   He was awful last year.  The Jets needs to move forward.   They can cut him and save 9mm of cap room and that amount in cash.   He should be cut, and the cap savings should be applied to a top FA corner.   That is the subject of discussion that is relevant.  Not how good he was, but how fast he can be cut.

The Jets should try and get out of paying him because of his arrest, but they should not bank on it.

41 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

so you think QBs and OCs were thinking about 2009 Revis in 2014/2015 and didn't attack him enough b/c of that?

NE couldn't get over the hump for many years, he solidified that D and it was a big reason why they won.  Brady was still obviously reason #1 but Revis put them over the top.

a "good corner":lol:

he dominated in an era where all the rules were skewed to offense and he never had a big time pass rusher to take the pressure off. 

I am still waiting for you to actually present a legitimate argument. it's ok to disagree but all you seem to do is bash "Revis worshipers" w/o presenting any argument.

I was sitting in that EZ when glenn gave up the fake spike.  he was a rookie so I give him a pass for that but it's incredible how overrated he is w/ Jet fans.  you would think seeing someone as great as Revis would allow them to see it but for most fans it's what have you done for me lately and they already forget how dominant Revis was b/c he had the audacity to have one bad season.  this is the same group of fans that worship Joe Namath who had more bad seasons than good ones.

Glenn being overrated by some fans may be true, but is no different than your overrating of Revis as well, which seems to be the concept you cannot grasp.  Just because your purely subjective opinion says others are overrating one player, and you're not at all overrating Revis (because no one ever thinks that of themselves), that does not make it a reality.  Revis absolutely had one truly great year in 2009, but showed himself incapable of maintaining that level of play.  Totally understandable mind you, but that also doesn't do much to support his supposedly all-time great career.  In 2010 he had half a season of being completely out-of-shape which led to him alternating between poor play and non-contact injuries that were his own fault.

He got it together in the second half of that season, but considering he only his himself to blame that it was even necessary, that only counts for so much. He took a step back up in 2011, but still did not reach the level of his 2009 season.  It's been nothing but a downward trend ever since then.  He may have still been good for a few more years after that, but he was in no way standing out above the others at his position.  Last year, he flat out sucked.  When being as generous as possible, the best you could say for Revis is that he has about 2 1/2 seasons that could be qualified as great, which is hardly enough to consider any all-time discussion, especially when the guys you keep trying to compare him as better than weren't completely washed up liabilities by 31, which is not that old even by NFL standards.

27 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Sorry but you lose all cred when you describe Woodson, after the career he had, as laughable.

Woodson belongs in the hall where he will go 1st ballot, he wasn't half the cover corner revis was.  let's look at top WRs in playoff games, obviously it wasn't all on one player(the best WR against revis did most of his damage in prevent mode when revis wasn't on him) but it gives us a good guide:

Woodson:

w/ Oak:

2000:

vs. Mia: Gadsden 1 rec 33 yds

vs. Bal: Ismail 1-18

2001:

vs. NYJ: Coles 8-123

at NE: Brown 4-43

2002:

vs. NYJ: Coles 4-30

vs. Ten: Mason 5-41

vs. TB: Keyshawn: 6-69

w/ GB:

2007:

vs. Sea: Engram 6-67-1

vs. NYG: Plax 11-151

2009(the year he was DPOY robbing Revis b/c voters were impressed w/ a few TDs):

at Ari: fitz: 6-82-2

2010:

at phi: Maclin 3-73

at Atl: white 6-57-1

at Chi: knox 2-56

I will leave out SB as he got hurt early

2011:

vs NYG: Nicks 7-165-2

14 games:

70 recs, 1008 yds, 6 TDs

prorate over 16 game season: 80 recs, 1152 yds, 7 TDs

keep in mind the early part of his career the rules were different and it wasn't as much of a passing league as it was all of Revis' career.

Revis:

w/ Jets:

2009:

at Cin: Johnson 2-28

at SD: Jackson 7-111

at Ind: Wayne 3-55

2010:

at ind: Wayne 1-1

at NE: Branch 5-59-1

at Pitt: Wallace 1-6

w. Pats:

2014:

vs. Bal: Smith 3-44-1

vs. Ind: Hilton 1-36

vs. Sea: Baldwin 1-3-1

9 games:

24 recs, 343 yds, 3 TDs

prorate over a 16 game season: 43 recs, 610 yds, 5 TDs

prorated #s over a 16 game season:

Woodson: 80 recs, 1152 yds, 7 TDs

Revis: 43 recs, 610 yds, 5 TDs

and looked at the Qbs they faced:

Woodson:

Jay Fiedler, Trent Dilfer, Vinny Testaverde, Tom Brady(1st yr in blizzard), Chad Pennington, Steve McNair, Brad Johnson, Matt Hasslebeck, Eli Manning, Kurt Warner, Michael Vick, Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler/Caleb Hanie, Eli Manning, 

Revis:

Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson

6 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Glenn being overrated by some fans may be true, but is no different than your overrating of Revis as well, which seems to be the concept you cannot grasp.  Just because your purely subjective opinion says others are overrating one player, and you're not at all overrating Revis (because no one ever thinks that of themselves), that does not make it a reality.  Revis absolutely had one truly great year in 2009, but showed himself incapable of maintaining that level of play.  Totally understandable mind you, but that also doesn't do much to support his supposedly all-time great career.  In 2010 he had half a season of being completely out-of-shape which led to him alternating between poor play and non-contact injuries that were his own fault.

He got it together in the second half of that season, but considering he only his himself to blame that it was even necessary, that only counts for so much. He took a step back up in 2011, but still did not reach the level of his 2009 season.  It's been nothing but a downward trend ever since then.  He may have still been good for a few more years after that, but he was in no way standing out above the others at his position.  Last year, he flat out sucked.  When being as generous as possible, the best you could say for Revis is that he has about 2 1/2 seasons that could be qualified as great, which is hardly enough to consider any all-time discussion, especially when the guys you keep trying to compare him as better than weren't completely washed up liabilities by 31, which is not that old even by NFL standards.

Revis was hurt early in 2010 but once healthy hew as even better than he was during his greatest of all time(for a corner) season in 2009. he was 1st team all pro in 2014 after the injury so to say it was all downhill would be false.  

Revis has played basically 9 full seasons, he's been 1st team all pro in nearly half of them and made the pro bowl in 7 of them. Woodson played 12 full seasons at CB and was 1st team all pro 3 times and made 8 PBs so who was greater longer?  Woodson moved to safety, prolonged his career and became a good safety but it doesn't change the facts at corner.

By great, you mean "all-time great" right?  Cause the ******* guy was a top CB in the NFL from 2008 to 2014. Sure he sucked in 2016.  I think he was between 8th-20th in 2015 and maybe around 10th in 2013 after the knee.  Other than that he was top 3 that whole time.  

2014: Not great, just the best? Darrelle Revis wins top honors

In 2011 QBs had the lowest rating when throwing at him of any CB and he had the best completion against % in the NFL. Let’s take a look at which corners allowed the lowest completion percentage first. At the top of that list you have none other than Darrelle Revis. Who saw that coming?

#overrated

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Revis was hurt early in 2010 but once healthy hew as even better than he was during his greatest of all time(for a corner) season in 2009. he was 1st team all pro in 2014 after the injury so to say it was all downhill would be false.  

Revis has played basically 9 full seasons, he's been 1st team all pro in nearly half of them and made the pro bowl in 7 of them. Woodson played 12 full seasons at CB and was 1st team all pro 3 times and made 8 PBs so who was greater longer?  Woodson moved to safety, prolonged his career and became a good safety but it doesn't change the facts at corner.

Your criteria keeps changing, which does not help your argument.  If the entire basis is All Pro appearances, then Revis is not the best.  Sanders, who you earlier were also talking about his supposed inferiority to Revis, has made it a number of more times than Revis.  So if such a selection is truly the proving of greatness, then that means that more than half of Revis' career has not been great, and there have been a number of players better than him in their careers.  Of course, if you think All Pro selections are in any way skewed and not fully reflective of a player's greatness, that kind of discredits other arguments that are dependent upon that, such as this one about Woodson.

It seems like the rules keep on changing, with the not-so-coincidental criteria shifting to whichever one makes Revis look better in that specific comparison.  Clearly this is an opinion you already had, and you're simply looking to justify it after the fact, as opposed to having used any of this information to reach your conclusion in the first place.  And you know what, that's totally fine, but let's just call it what it is, as opposed to this repeated insistence about your faux lone objectivity.

14 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Your criteria keeps changing, which does not help your argument.  If the entire basis is All Pro appearances, then Revis is not the best.  Sanders, who you earlier were also talking about his supposed inferiority to Revis, has made it a number of more times than Revis.  So if such a selection is truly the proving of greatness, then that means that more than half of Revis' career has not been great, and there have been a number of players better than him in their careers.  Of course, if you think All Pro selections are in any way skewed and not fully reflective of a player's greatness, that kind of discredits other arguments that are dependent upon that, such as this one about Woodson.

It seems like the rules keep on changing, with the not-so-coincidental criteria shifting to whichever one makes Revis look better in that specific comparison.  Clearly this is an opinion you already had, and you're simply looking to justify it after the fact, as opposed to having used any of this information to reach your conclusion in the first place.  And you know what, that's totally fine, but let's just call it what it is, as opposed to this repeated insistence about your faux lone objectivity.

Sanders was a playmaker, he made the flashy plays which got him recognition.  he also got beat badly often. let's do that comparison w/ Deion that I did w/ Revis and Woodson:

w/ Atl:

1991:

at NO: Eric Martin 7-83

at was: Gary Clark 6-64

w/ SF:

1994:

vs. Chi: Jeff Graham 4-33

vs. Dal: Irvin 12-192-2

vs. SD: Mark Seay 7-75

w/ Dal:

1995:

vs. Phi: Calvin Williams 5-56

vs. GB: Robert Brooks 6-105-2

vs. Pit: Yancey Thigpen 3-19-1

1996:

vs. Min: Carter 3-36-1

at Car: Mark Carrier 1-7

1998:

vs. Ari: Frank Sanders 3-72

1999:

at Min: Moss 5-127-1

12 games:

62 recs, 869 yds, 7 TDs

prorate over 16 game season: 83 recs, 1159 yds, 9 TDs

over 16 games::

Deion: 83 recs, 1159 yds, 9 TDs

Revis:  43 recs, 610 yds, 5 TDs

QBs faced:

Deion: Chris Miller, Mark Rypien, Erik Kramer, Troy Aikman, Stan Humphries, Rodney Peete/Randall Cunningham, Brett favre, Neil O'Donnell, Brad Johnson, Kerry Collins, Jake Plummer, Jeff George

Revis:

Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

so you think QBs and OCs were thinking about 2009 Revis in 2014/2015 and didn't attack him enough b/c of that?

NE couldn't get over the hump for many years, he solidified that D and it was a big reason why they won.  Brady was still obviously reason #1 but Revis put them over the top.

a "good corner":lol:

he dominated in an era where all the rules were skewed to offense and he never had a big time pass rusher to take the pressure off. 

I am still waiting for you to actually present a legitimate argument. it's ok to disagree but all you seem to do is bash "Revis worshipers" w/o presenting any argument.

I was sitting in that EZ when glenn gave up the fake spike.  he was a rookie so I give him a pass for that but it's incredible how overrated he is w/ Jet fans.  you would think seeing someone as great as Revis would allow them to see it but for most fans it's what have you done for me lately and they already forget how dominant Revis was b/c he had the audacity to have one bad season.  this is the same group of fans that worship Joe Namath who had more bad seasons than good ones.

Never had a big time pass rusher? Come on. . Nothing I say will get through that thick skull of yours so whats the point? Its nothing personal friend we just agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Woodson belongs in the hall where he will go 1st ballot, he wasn't half the cover corner revis was.  let's look at top WRs in playoff games, obviously it wasn't all on one player(the best WR against revis did most of his damage in prevent mode when revis wasn't on him) but it gives us a good guide:

So when I first bring up CW you describe his career as laughable now you say 1st ballot hof which is it?

I respect Revis's talent but if he had half CWs passion to play he would be the greatest ever not just one of the best.

9 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Never had a big time pass rusher? Come on. . Nothing I say will get through that thick skull of yours so whats the point? Its nothing personal friend we just agree to disagree.

Please list all the big time pass rushers he played w/? instead of hurling insults you probably should pay attention to the info that is being presented to you.

5 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

So when I first bring up CW you describe his career as laughable now you say 1st ballot hof which is it?

I respect Revis's talent but if he had half CWs passion to play he would be the greatest ever not just one of the best.

Your quote was:

" In my opinion he does not belong in the same sentence as Sanders or even Carles Woodson "

That is a laughable statement, nowhere did I say Woodson wasn't really good.  He's just not Revis.

Revis is the greatest ever cover corner.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Please list all the big time pass rushers he played w/? instead of hurling insults you probably should pay attention to the info that is being presented to you.

Your quote was:

" In my opinion he does not belong in the same sentence as Sanders or even Carles Woodson "

That is a laughable statement, nowhere did I say Woodson wasn't really good.  He's just not Revis.

Your opinion. Not fact. No matter how many times you say it,it's still your opinion. We agree to disagree leave it at that.

If saying you have a thick skull is an insult to you maybe your skin needs to as thick as your skull is.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I saw Herm talk at the Charlotte TD club. He said "cover corner" is a BS term for guys who dont tackle.   Revis was a hell of a tackler. Not just great in coverage but MEAN as a snake close up, stuffing the receiver. In his prime, he was the best for a good stretch. Not just in coverage. He was robbed of DPOY in 2009.

40 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Your quote was:

I do not hurl insults as you suggest.

You describe your posts as info. Regarding Revis I would describe them as fake news.

I stand by my statement he doesnt belong in the same sentence as those two and most students of the game (not Jets fans) will agree.

I will go as far to say as he might not make the first ballot now that he is a felon.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Your opinion. Not fact. No matter how many times you say it,it's still your opinion. We agree to disagree leave it at that.

If saying you have a thick skull is an insult to you maybe your skin needs to as thick as your skull is.

again, we are allowed to disagree.  It would be great though if you could counter anything I post.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

I do not hurl insults as you suggest.

You describe your posts as info. Regarding Revis I would describe them as fake news.

I stand by my statement he doesnt belong in the same sentence as those two and most students of the game (not Jets fans) will agree.

I will go as far to say as he might not make the first ballot now that he is a felon.

you can make statements but how about making an argument? how about countering what I wrote?  I'm waiting.

now that he a is a felon:lol:

oh boy, why do I get involved in these discussions?

53 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

again, we are allowed to disagree.  It would be great though if you could counter anything I post.

you can make statements but how about making an argument? how about countering what I wrote?  I'm waiting.

now that he a is a felon:lol:

oh boy, why do I get involved in these discussions?

The nature of your posts invite "these discussions" 

Ive already shown you objective data that reflects CWs career greatness which you choose to counter with some absurdly rediculous "he faced these QBs" rationale  all while failing to acknowledge how Revis will never approach these career numbers because he is rapidly overeating, and assaulting himself out of the league.

I hope he retires as a Jet very soon before he continues to embarrass himself. 

6 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

The nature of your posts invite "these discussions" 

Ive already shown you objective data that reflects CWs career greatness which you choose to counter with some absurdly rediculous "he faced these QBs" rationale  all while failing to acknowledge how Revis will never approach these career numbers because he is rapidly overeating, and assaulting himself out of the league.

I hope he retires as a Jet very soon before he continues to embarrass himself. 

you showed nothing, you gave me career #s as if you can compare cover corners by INTs or TDs.  the corner's job is to shut down the opposing WRs, no one has done a better job than revis.  I didn't make my case based on QBs faced, that was part of the info I provided that was interestibng in that revis faced better opposing QBs and better WRs yet the WRs he faced he shut down while the WRs that faced Deion and Woodson thrived. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Ironic.

Ironic?

What is ironic is that most of the present day Revis sycophants here considered him dead when he signed with the Patriots.

Of course he isnt convicted yet but who would want to bet against it?

Four felonies will be tough to plead down when there is video evidence showing he beat 2 guys unconscious.

That will make any DA looking to make his bones in a high profile case salivate.

Have fun Revis fluffers.

Just now, Kleckineau said:

Ironic?

What is ironic is that most of the present day Revis sycophants here considered him dead when he signed with the Patriots.

Four felonies will be tough to plead down when there is video evidence showing he beat 2 guys unconscious.

That will make any DA looking to make his bones in a high profile case salivate.

Have fun Revis fluffers.

Video evidence?  Was there more tape?  The one I saw had two morons laying on the floor playing dead.  One moving his arm and looking like he was asking if they were done taping so he could move yet. 

11 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Quoting Warfish:

....present day Revis sycophants.....

Ironic II:  Irony Boogaloo

I would.  He's megawealthy, and a celebrity.  He's almost assuredly going to walk with at most a wrist slap.  Not a felony conviction.

In either case, originla irony remains.  Using the "Fake News" meme in the same post as calling a man a felon who isn't is lolworthy mate.

Have fun Revis fluffers.

Yep, that's me, a Revis Fluffer.  

You really might want to actually read the forum you post at once in a while.....

Darrelle Revis hinted that he'd be willing to take a pay cut to stay with the Jets.

Interacting with fans on Instagram, Revis admitted he no longer deserves top-10 cornerback money. Now facing multiple charges for his alleged role in a Pittsburgh brawl, the Jets may simply move on regardless of how big of a pay cut he's willing to take. If Revis' career continues, there's a good chance he'll have to convert to safety after losing his vertical speed last season.

26 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Darrelle Revis hinted that he'd be willing to take a pay cut to stay with the Jets.

Interacting with fans on Instagram, Revis admitted he no longer deserves top-10 cornerback money. Now facing multiple charges for his alleged role in a Pittsburgh brawl, the Jets may simply move on regardless of how big of a pay cut he's willing to take. If Revis' career continues, there's a good chance he'll have to convert to safety after losing his vertical speed last season.

I have to imagine the only way the Jets would consider it is if he agreed to go all the way down to the guaranteed $6M.  MAYBE having more in the deal that were tied to incentives, but that's about it.

With that said, the Jets might not be willing to do even that much, considering someone would likely sign him for at least something if he were cut, which would offset his guaranteed money / cap hit.  Not to mention, he's hardly ever been considered much of a locker room guy, and that certainly hasn't gotten any better.

22 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I have to imagine the only way the Jets would consider it is if he agreed to go all the way down to the guaranteed $6M.  MAYBE having more in the deal that were tied to incentives, but that's about it.

With that said, the Jets might not be willing to do even that much, considering someone would likely sign him for at least something if he were cut, which would offset his guaranteed money / cap hit.  Not to mention, he's hardly ever been considered much of a locker room guy, and that certainly hasn't gotten any better.

Yes because locker room guys like Mangold,Decker and Marshall really worked out well. 

On 2/24/2017 at 3:24 PM, Warfish said:

Ironic II:  Irony Boogaloo

I would.  He's megawealthy, and a celebrity.  He's almost assuredly going to walk with at most a wrist slap.  Not a felony conviction.

In either case, originla irony remains.  Using the "Fake News" meme in the same post as calling a man a felon who isn't is lolworthy mate.

Yep, that's me, a Revis Fluffer.  

You really might want to actually read the forum you post at once in a while.....

Master debater lol......More like master bater but any way

Plaxico Burress and a few others called. They are demanding their retroactive wrist slaps.

Fluf fluff fluff fluff  ☺

38 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes because locker room guys like Mangold,Decker and Marshall really worked out well. 

Yeah like your boy Geno"friggin" Smith was the poster boy for maturity and character. Cold cocked for being an a-hole is exactly the type of locker room guy you want.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18915609/all-charges-dismissed-defensive-back-darrelle-revis ................................

Revis appeared in municipal court Wednesday where the judge decided to dismiss the charges after hearing testimony from one of Revis' childhood friends. The friend told the judge he came to Revis' defense during an altercation and punched the men, knocking them out.

Revis, a four-time All-Pro who was released by the New York Jets two weeks ago, had been ordered to appear at all hearings and instructed not to have any contact with the alleged victims and witnesses -- not even on social media. He had to submit his passport.

The incident in question occurred at 2:43 a.m. ET on Feb. 12 on Pittsburgh's popular South Side. Two men, ages 21 and 22, told police that they were punched and knocked out amid a verbal altercation with Revis, though they did not know who hit them.

Witnesses said the two men were unconscious for 10 minutes, according to police, but also did not know who hit the men.

Revis, 31, is a free agent and has said he'd like to continue his NFL career, which includes a Super Bowl championship with New England and seven Pro Bowl selections.

Revis, who grew up in nearby Aliquippa, Pennsylvania, said he'd love to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"That would be great," Revis told the NFL Network after the charges were dismissed. "As a child I watched the Steelers play, went to a few games as a young child, I played here in high school and college, so to play here professionally would be awesome too. So we'll see. Hopefully we'll have a conversation with the Steelers."

Revis, who admittedly reported out of shape to training camp last summer and said during the season his body was "breaking down," claimed he's in top condition and eager to play, even if it means changing positions. He has talked in the past about switching to safety.

"I'm 10 pounds lighter than I was last year at this time so I'm really hammering that," he said. "The hunger is definitely there, just passion and love for the game, and I'm excited. I'm excited for this upcoming season. I just had to put this past me and now I can really focus on what team I can fit with, the best system and team and coaches."

The Jets still owe Revis $6 million.

Admits to being fat and out of shape.

"Gets" childhood friend to say he was the guy who knocked out 2 men cold. (hmmmmmm $)

Steals money from NYJ

Still owed 6 mill because of  the hometown court verdict.

If any team signs this slouch after all this they deserve him.

Someone is going to sign him to a 2 year guaranteed backloaded deal.  Don't get all the hate.  Those guys were ******* with him, whoever punched them.  Lol at knocked out for 10 minutes. I saw the footage of the guy pretending to be out.  Revis was a great player.  He had a bad year.  I think he will have a good year in 2017, but I am glad we are saving the money.  Just hope we spend it on somebody young and worthwhile.  

Archived