Good Picks for the Jets at #6?

Sarge4Tide

Good Picks at #6?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Offense - Which of the following players would you consider a good pick for the Jets at #6 in this year's draft?

• QB Deshaun Watson
    • QB Mitch Trubisky
    • QB DeShone Kizer
    • RB Leonard Fournette
    • RB Dalvin Cook
    • TE OJ Howard
    • WR Mike Williams
    • WR Corey Davis
    • OL Ryan Ramcyck
    • OL Cam Robinson
    • None of the Above
  2. 2. Defense - Which of the following players would you consider a good pick for the Jets at #6 in this year's draft?

• DE Myles Garrett
    • DE Jonathan Allen
    • DE Solomon Thomas
    • DE Taco Charlton
    • DE Takkarist McKinley
    • DE Derek Barnett
    • LB Rueben Foster
    • LB Tim Williams
    • CB Marshon Lattimore
    • CB Sidney Jones
    • CB Quincy Wilson
    • S Malik Hooker
    • S Jamal Adams
    • S Jabril Peppers
    • None of the Above

50 minutes ago, Jetsmanjb said:

Leo Fournette is the only choice

I agree.  Fournette is my #1 guy.  There are a handfull of guys i would like at 6 and my other favorite player is Reuben Foster.  I know RB and ILB are devalued positions but i feel these 2 players are so good that they would be great value picks at 6 despite their position.  Malik Hooker is also great but the torn Labrum in his hip has me questioning if that's a smart pick.  It would be understandable if we went with a QB but I don't feel that any of them would be the best player on the board at the time.  I don't have a certainty about any of them even though i see things i like from Watson, Trubiski and Kizer.  Myles Garret i didn't even check the vote box for because he just shouldn't be there.

I could see the jags drafting fournette. I think he is the type of player Coughlin really wanted but was never able to find. Im still all in for peppers who I am sure is an extremely unpopular pick at 6 by now. I still think the kid would be a good fit in Bowles system and I think he is going to be special. Last season I liked Dion jones a ton as a third round sleeper and I would have lost him trying to wait for value this year I say reach for the guy you like and I would reach for peppers.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

I agree.  Fournette is my #1 guy.  There are a handfull of guys i would like at 6 and my other favorite player is Reuben Foster.  I know RB and ILB are devalued positions but i feel these 2 players are so good that they would be great value picks at 6 despite their position.  Malik Hooker is also great but the torn Labrum in his hip has me questioning if that's a smart pick.  It would be understandable if we went with a QB but I don't feel that any of them would be the best player on the board at the time.  I don't have a certainty about any of them even though i see things i like from Watson, Trubiski and Kizer.  Myles Garret i didn't even check the vote box for because he just shouldn't be there.

Leonard Williams shouldn't have been either.  There are a lot of players I would be okay with.  It depends on what happens in Free Agency though.  For instance, if they happen to sign Gilmore (CB) and Jefferson (S), thus improving the secondary and defense as a whole, I would be ecstatic if pick at #6 were to be a Fournette or a Mike Williams.  If they go in the direction of keeping Decker and signing a FA LT and/or a TE then I wouldn't mind the pick at #6 being a Malik Hooker or Jamal Adams or Marlon Humphrey or Marshon Lattimore or even Reuben Foster (not going to happen).  All I know is that picking at the top of every round in this stacked draft could potentially be huge for the franchise. 

I most certainly do not want any part of any of these QBs though.  Let's roll with Petty/Hackenberg and see what these kids have.  Maybe one of them actually pans out I mean something has to go our way eventually.  Worst case?  We suck it up en route to a much bigger picture and be close enough to even trade up if needed to get one of these stud QBs coming out in 2018 and actually be contenders in a few years at a time where the Pats are slowly diminishing.

All I know is is that I have twin boys who are about to turn 2 next month and I'm praying that this team shapes up so that we have some meaningful games to attend in the future.  I don't know about you guys, but I'm going about this hopeful reboot with the glass being half full.

I gotta be honest, I don;t get all the love for Williams and Lattimore. What is so special about these guys? 

To me, Williams lacks elite speed and doesn't have the size/strength and route running ability to get away without it as a #1 receiver at the next level. 6 is WAY too early for him, IMO. 

Lattimore is just not the elite CB that I would draft in the top 10. He's solid in multiple facets of the game but doesn't excel in anything in particular. To me, S.Jones will be the best CB to come out of this draft b/c of his amazing man-cover skills. He may lack ideal size and strength but he has an amazing skill set.   

Am I taking crazy pills??? 

On defense I voted for Garrett, Barnette, Hooker, Adams, and Allen. On offense I went Fournette and the two O-linemen, just b/c I think both will be Pro Bowl caliber players somewhere on the O-line (either RT or OG or LT).  I did not vote QBs b/c its too early. In other words, the only way I would take a QB is if someone really separated themselves leading up to the draft and made it pretty much a no-brainer. But if that happens, he will probably go #1 to CLE, #2 to SF, or #3 to CHI.

11 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

Leonard Williams shouldn't have been either.  There are a lot of players I would be okay with.  It depends on what happens in Free Agency though.  For instance, if they happen to sign Gilmore (CB) and Jefferson (S), thus improving the secondary and defense as a whole, I would be ecstatic if pick at #6 were to be a Fournette or a Mike Williams.  If they go in the direction of keeping Decker and signing a FA LT and/or a TE then I wouldn't mind the pick at #6 being a Malik Hooker or Jamal Adams or Marlon Humphrey or Marshon Lattimore or even Reuben Foster (not going to happen).  All I know is that picking at the top of every round in this stacked draft could potentially be huge for the franchise. 

I most certainly do not want any part of any of these QBs though.  Let's roll with Petty/Hackenberg and see what these kids have.  Maybe one of them actually pans out I mean something has to go our way eventually.  Worst case?  We suck it up en route to a much bigger picture and be close enough to even trade up if needed to get one of these stud QBs coming out in 2018 and actually be contenders in a few years at a time where the Pats are slowly diminishing.

All I know is is that I have twin boys who are about to turn 2 next month and I'm praying that this team shapes up so that we have some meaningful games to attend in the future.  I don't know about you guys, but I'm going about this hopeful reboot with the glass being half full.

I would love to play Petty and/or Hack all year and find out what we have. It's obvious that it would be immeasurably better long term to be 2-14 than 7-9 next year but it's hard to get my mind around wishing for that before the Combine even starts!

I have two little ones also, I would love to have really good Jets teams to root for together before they go to college in 15 years!

15 minutes ago, Brady's a catcher said:

I would love to play Petty and/or Hack all year and find out what we have. It's obvious that it would be immeasurably better long term to be 2-14 than 7-9 next year but it's hard to get my mind around wishing for that before the Combine even starts!

I have two little ones also, I would love to have really good Jets teams to root for together before they go to college in 15 years!

Good luck with that!  I felt that way years ago; now my boys are 33,30 and 27.Time flies, the Jets, not so much.:D

I am feeling the pick is going to be Lattimore or Hooker, maybe Adams. 

With Adams the Jets stiill need a cover safety, unless they think for this year they can run a secondary of Pryor and Adams.  Maybe Jefferson replaces Pryor.

Lattimore basically saves the Jets from a FA CB.

Hooker allows Gilcrist to more easily ride off into the sunset.  From a cap perspective could be a trade.  Hooker and Jefferson could be a good back end.

If they did some version of the above and signed a FA CB and pushed Burris and Roberts, their secondary may not be half bad.

42 minutes ago, varjet said:

With Adams the Jets stiill need a cover safety, unless they think for this year they can run a secondary of Pryor and Adams.  Maybe Jefferson replaces Pryor.

Hooker allows Gilcrist to more easily ride off into the sunset.  From a cap perspective could be a trade.  Hooker and Jefferson could be a good back end.

If they did some version of the above and signed a FA CB and pushed Burris and Roberts, their secondary may not be half bad.

Who's Jefferson? Do you mean Middleton? Am I missing something? 

"Lattimore basically saves the Jets from a FA CB." I'm not sure what you mean by this. You can't assume a rookie can come in and start as a #1. If the Jets cut Revis, let Williams walk, and put Skrine in the slot, which is what they SHOULD do. They will still need to sign a CB in FA to play on the outside as a #1 opposite Burris, Roberts, or a drafted rookie- whoever wins out. That's just me. I'm not that high on Lattimore. I don't think he will be able to come in and make a significant impact immediately. And I don't think you can really rely on that from any rookie CB. Its a difficult transition. I think S.Jones is way more skilled and NFL ready, despite his lack of ideal strength/size. I think he would have a considerably smoother transition.

Sign Gilmore. Draft S.Jones via trade down in the first round. Gilmore, Burris, Skrine (slot) Roberts, Jones and Marshall (returner) are your 6 CBs. That's a solid young group. Next year, depending on how guys develop, you can move on from Skrine and move Roberts or S.Jones into the slot.

I'm really not that worried about the safety position. Pryor get one more year to show some improvement. Middleton is a promising FS, as is Miles. Gilchrist played well last year, considering how awful the coverage was with Revis and Skrine getting beat like a drum regularly.    

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Bear in mind that the top FA signings will happen BEFORE the draft ... IMHO there is no way we don't sign a FA CB if we've decided to move on from Revis. It'd be borderline criminally irresponsible to go into the draft with Skrine / Burris / Williams / Roberts as our only options.

As for safety, Gilchrist had a nasty injury to end the season, I'm not even sure he'll be good to go by camp / maybe pre-season, so they have to plan to move on there too.

I'd love to see us spend quite a bit of this draft (and some UDFA signings) on DBs to restock a fairly depleted talent pool. Draft depth matches need quite well for us in this respect.

NFL Draft 2017: Darryl Slater's Jets 7-round mock, 1.0 | Deshaun Watson? Leonard Fournette?

5 hours ago, phill1c said:

So, basically, a one-year test of a rookie QB until forever, all the while neglecting talent at the other positions thereby dooming the one-year test.

not exactly.  consider the current situation.  petty is in his 3rd year and hack his 2nd.  if they did draft a qb he would be a rookie.  they could try out petty (again) and if he doesn't work out then go to hack and then the new guy.  in this scenario petty would start the whole season or at least a good portion before moving on.  as much as teams apparently don't want to start young qb's these guy have got to start somewhere.  and they should be able to step in at least after there first year.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

there was one article i read that said the jets did improve in pass defense during the second half of the year.  this could be because they were scheming better or the players were playing better.  burris was in more for the last 3 games.  lattimore may keep the jets from having to sign a top free agent corner but since the free agency period is before the draft not signing one will certainly telegraph the way the jets will be drafting.  i'd be okay with a true revis replacement at 6. 

All I read is about us picking some defensive player .we need play makers like a WR or Rb with explosiveness who can carry some of the burden while a young QB is being groomed. Better yet, take the best O lineman , god knows we need a RT.

Anyone have an opinion on that Florida state RT? He looks like a prototypical RT to me.

Everyone is talking about Fournette - but Cook is the better fit in the new OC's system and just as talented, if not more than Fournette imo. Its still early - but the Jets need an explosive RB like Cook and not a I Formation type RB like Fournette. 

Archived