The $6 million question: Can Jets have Darrelle Revis' contract voided?

Gas2No99

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Where did I say only the team has to honor a contract?  

Get charged in your world proves someone is guilty?  People charged are automatically guilty and have to begin paying for their crimes in a week or two?   Hate cops?  Because they've never, ever charged the wrong party?  People accused of crimes never are cleared of any wrongdoing.  Talk about missing the point 

You have not said anything about your boy Revis holding out when he had a contract?   So tell us, was that ok?

as for cops arresting the wrong guy, that is very very rare. 

Have you seen the video?   Pity 

5 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

You have not said anything about your boy Revis holding out when he had a contract?   So tell us, was that ok?

as for cops arresting the wrong guy, that is very very rare. 

Have you seen the video?   Pity 

Really, I said nothing about Revis and holding out?   Maybe you should just read.  When did this thread go from can't they void a contract into you're a management person who doesn't like his players uppety?  Wants to pay Revis back for being paid big money.  You're one of those.  Claim he was overrated & overpaid.  Just pisses you off

Cops don't arrest the wrong person, it's rare?  But you know who instigated the contact and you know when it started and can see all of this on a phone video that you have no clue of it started immediately or after it escalated.  

TMZ has a video of the aftermath of the incident. It has the voice of someone shouting at the knocked out guys and taking credit for the punch outs. According to TMZ it's not DR's voice. So he might not have been the one who assaulted them. Based on all the years he's been with the Jets it doesn't fit his character. So let's see if he's guilty or not. If guilty I still pay him the 6 mil. Cutting him is an on the field issue and whether or not they think he can still play. Obviously he isn't playing up to his contract. Who could it's a stupid deal. If they think he can transition to safety and he still really wants to play then they could offer him a reduced deal. But anyways he will get that 6 mil on or off the roster. 

On 2/17/2017 at 10:17 PM, Bugg said:

Best thing that could happen is 2017 is a complete sheetstorm, Bowles gets fired, Maccagnan gets religion  and Jets are in position to  pick   Darnold,  and hire a real coach in 2018. The Jets aren't winning anything in 2017. Enough half measures and half assing it. Burn it down and start over. There is no way that money found by voiding Revis changes any of that. And if it did it would simply be another half measure of failure. The worst thing the Jets can do is throw more lipstick on the pig such that Darnold dosns't happen. 

Lot of people here want to turn Revis into Public Enemy #1 over a bar fight at 2:45AM on a Saturday night. In the criminal justice system that is commonly called a piece of sh*t case. This is stupidity, not criminality. Everyone was drunk, said and did stupid things, nobody is credible and  nobody is really hurt spare pride. Revis has never been in trouble before, have a hard time believing this is anything but one stupid drunk night. 

Start over at San Darnold but much much slower this time. 

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Define dredges of society?

I spelled it wrong. 

Criminals,low-lifes those who aren's law abiding and wreak havoc on those who do obey the law. 

the dregs of society/humanity

group of people in society who you consider to be immoral and of no value

People tend to regard drug addicts as the dregs of society.

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I spelled it wrong. 

Criminals,low-lifes those who aren's law abiding and wreak havoc on those who do obey the law. 

the dregs of society/humanity

group of people in society who you consider to be immoral and of no value

People tend to regard drug addicts as the dregs of society.

So how do we make the leap with the two unconscious guys on the side walk? 

Who in their right mind approaches a stranger at 230 in the morning and starts harassing them and asking them if they are an NFL player. 

Usually on the few rare occasions I have been in Newark or NYC and out at that hour you mind your own damn business and get where you need to be. 

These punks got  what they deserve.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

So how do we make the leap with the two unconscious guys on the side walk? 

The two wannabe paparazzi cellphone culture goons that only know how to take from those who worked hard and earned it?

Plus you said they were intoxicated in public in another post ...

35 minutes ago, jetrider said:

The two wannabe paparazzi cellphone culture goons that only know how to take from those who worked hard and earned it?

Plus you said they were intoxicated in public in another post ...

I agree with that. I said they were drunk because I believe I was told they were drunk. Very well could be they thought it was a chance to cash in. Fine with all that. I just have a very hard time looking at those two dudes and think at any time Revis honestly felt threatened.  Revis is a world class athlete at his worse day is still relatively super human. These guys are about as scary as my accountant and dermatologist,

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I agree with that. I said they were drunk because I believe I was told they were drunk. Very well could be they thought it was a chance to cash in. Fine with all that. I just have a very hard time looking at those two dudes and think at any time Revis honestly felt threatened.  Revis is a world class athlete at his worse day is still relatively super human. These guys are about as scary as my accountant and dermatologist,

He obviously didn't feel physically threatened. Those dweebs probably stunk like Gap Heaven.

If anything, he felt his privacy invaded and violated without giving permission to use his image on social media, etc.

On 2/19/2017 at 11:37 AM, Jet Nut said:

Jets tried to screw Revis and have him sign a rookie deal that gave the team control over Revis another year, not allowing him to hit Free agency in the same time frame as others.  The players association would have skewered him if he agreed to that deal and set precedence.  He did hold out later when his contract did leave him underpaid, despite all the Internet GMs who think he wasn't good back then.  We all know that most superstar players at a position are usually hugely underpaid by the last year of their rookie deal and if they're that good renegotiate their rookie deals.  

The hypocritical aspect is closer to a player is injured or never develops and is cut without being paid the full term of his deal.  

This is factually inaccurate. The Jets did want Revis to sign for an extra season but he would not have been the first to ever do that. The Jets also offered him a massive contract to take that extra season. The payout on the contract was essentially that of the 10th pick in the draft with huge upside due to a massive escalator in the final contract year. Revis agents did a great job with framing the contract in a light that always made him sound underpaid and certain reporters ran with it in an effort to get exclusives on Revis (some of whom have killed him since he parted with his agents) but as far as situations go Revis has probably held out more than anyone in the NFL. Good for him that he was able to make it work out but the guy held out as a rookie, again after just 3 years into a 6 year contract, and was ready to hold out again in the third year of a three year contract when he got traded. The last one was the funniest of the group because there were stories basically saying that the Jets were trying to really hold him to unreasonable standards by asking him to do such crazy things as to show up to work and get paid a million bucks for lifting some weights in April.  

17 minutes ago, jason423 said:

This is factually inaccurate. The Jets did want Revis to sign for an extra season but he would not have been the first to ever do that. The Jets also offered him a massive contract to take that extra season. The payout on the contract was essentially that of the 10th pick in the draft with huge upside due to a massive escalator in the final contract year. Revis agents did a great job with framing the contract in a light that always made him sound underpaid and certain reporters ran with it in an effort to get exclusives on Revis (some of whom have killed him since he parted with his agents) but as far as situations go Revis has probably held out more than anyone in the NFL. Good for him that he was able to make it work out but the guy held out as a rookie, again after just 3 years into a 6 year contract, and was ready to hold out again in the third year of a three year contract when he got traded. The last one was the funniest of the group because there were stories basically saying that the Jets were trying to really hold him to unreasonable standards by asking him to do such crazy things as to show up to work and get paid a million bucks for lifting some weights in April.  

your rational posts have no bearing here.

2 hours ago, jason423 said:

I'll defer but why would Revis turn down the deal the Jets offered, why would he hold out for less money?

On 2/19/2017 at 0:37 PM, Jet Nut said:

Jets tried to screw Revis and have him sign a rookie deal that gave the team control over Revis another year, not allowing him to hit Free agency in the same time frame as others.  The players association would have skewered him if he agreed to that deal and set precedence.  He did hold out later when his contract did leave him underpaid, despite all the Internet GMs who think he wasn't good back then.  We all know that most superstar players at a position are usually hugely underpaid by the last year of their rookie deal and if they're that good renegotiate their rookie deals.  

The hypocritical aspect is closer to a player is injured or never develops and is cut without being paid the full term of his deal.  

Lol nope. Revis was in no way screwed by his rookie contract being for 6 years. Not to mention Revis held out after 3 years, not after 5 years, anyway.

The extra 6th year on his rookie contract was valued at $10m (proportional to ~$16m today). At the time he signed it, as a rookie, that $10m was nearly 30% more than the $7.8m CB franchise tag amount. The highest contract ever for any defender, at that time, was the Clements 8 yr/$80m deal, which itself surely included some large, final-year fluff amount that both parties knew he'd never see. A year later, UFA Asante Samuel signed for less than that per yr.

Also, exercising that team option also voided the team's ability to franchise tag Revis beyond that (let alone repeatedly franchise tag him). Had he been given a "regular" rookie contract - like the 5yr/$14m total amt he would have been slotted to receive - he'd have made less money over the course of the first 5 years, way less than that slotted amount plus a franchise tag amount in year 6, and the team could have then further controlled him for longer than his first 6 years via repeating the franchise tag. 

He held out because of his lower year 4 salary (and because of a unique situation in Oak at the time, with Crazy Al Davis pre-calculating 3 yrs of franchise tagging Asomugha into a 2009 UFA extension so he could then also tag Richard Seymour in 2010, and that Aso contract itself set to be voided in 2011 when Revis would have otherwise held out: the top CB contract would no longer avg $15.3m/yr anymore, so that's doubly why Revis wanted to hold out before that, in 2010).

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I'll defer but why would Revis turn down the deal the Jets offered, why would he hold out for less money?

His holding out did get him a better offer, primarily the gigantic payment at the end of the deal, but the up front money was largely the same. IIRC the shift came from years 4 and 5 in which the 4th year payment was lowered and the 5th raised. In return the Jets developed this point system which they ended up using in a few contracts afterwards that would determine the 6th year salary for Revis. The 6th year salary was similar to that of a top 5 pick or a later 1st round QB that had a chance to earn a big escalator. 

But this was never an issue that the Jets were offering him some contract that was terrible for him. There never was a chance that the NFLPA would not have allowed the contract to go down because it was so bad. It was a legit NFL contract that was pretty much going to overslot him. The ended up overslotting him even more to make him happy and he still held out the minute his salary dipped down. The Jets had tried to protect themselves from that in the contract by voiding the 5th and 6th year guarantees but that would not have mattered to Revis because he was so good by that point (guarantees are really only worthwhile if you are a borderline player it makes no difference while you are playing well since the team is never cutting you) so he held out. The Jets were far more aggressive in contract 2 which was way more stringent and he still was ready to hold out again with a whole group of reporters in the back pockets of his agent to plead his case. . 

Darrelle Revis - DB -  Jets

Darrelle Revis' court hearing has been pushed back to March 15.

It was originally scheduled for Thursday. Revis is facing five charges—four felonies and one misdemeanor—stemming from his involvement in a brawl earlier this month. Coming off a dismal season, the 31-year-old may be out of a job by the time he goes to court.

Feb 21 - 2:23 PM

Archived