Superbowl Start Times

TuscanyTile2

Was watching some Superbowl highlights and noticed that games used to start early (though keep in mind the time zones).  Looks like that was the case through Superbowl 11 (1977).  Starting in 1978 it was moved to 6:17PM EST.  Pretty sure it has stayed at that start time since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_X

(Steelers 21 Cowboys 17)

Date: January 18, 1976

Game time: 2:14 p.m. EST

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XI

(Raiders 32 Vikings 14)

Date: January 9, 1977

Game time: 12:47 p.m. PST

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XII

(Cowboys 27 Broncos 10)

Date: January 15, 1978

Game time: 5:17 p.m. CST

They should really do it on a Saturday

Teams are coming off a 2 week break, so it's not like it's a short week.   Make it easier for people to travel, makes it easier to have a SB party or whatever else as you don't have work/ kids don't have school the next day.

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Teams are coming off a 2 week break, so it's not like it's a short week.   Make it easier for people to travel, makes it easier to have a SB party or whatever else as you don't have work/ kids don't have school the next day.

FULLY agree.  Either that or have the next day be a national holiday - lol.  Or maybe they can move up President's Day?

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

TV ratings will not be as good on a Saturday evening/night.  That is all they care about.  The NFL doesn't give two sh*ts about the convenience of the fans.

53 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

TV ratings will not be as good on a Saturday evening/night.  That is all they care about.  The NFL doesn't give two sh*ts about the convenience of the fans.

Bingo. Precisely the reason the league goes to those damnable Saturday games once the college games are over. And why they start Saturday playoff games at 4 instead of at 1 as in the past. It's all about the ratings, the fans be damned.

I wonder why they think Saturday Superbowls will draw lesser ratings. Doesn't make sense. I know a lot of people that didn't watch second half this year and years past. They should at least experiment it for the next 2 Superbowls to see if there is really rating drop. For a regular season game, I can understand the low ratings on Saturday nights but this is freaking Superbowl. I am ready to bet on the fact that Saturday Superbowls will draw higher ratings than Sunday Superbowls. 

3 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

I wonder why they think Saturday Superbowls will draw lesser ratings. Doesn't make sense. I know a lot of people that didn't watch second half this year and years past. They should at least experiment it for the next 2 Superbowls to see if there is really rating drop. For a regular season game, I can understand the low ratings on Saturday nights but this is freaking Superbowl. I am ready to bet on the fact that Saturday Superbowls will draw higher ratings than Sunday Superbowls. 

They claim that less people watch TV on Fridays and Saturdays than any other nights. But you would think the Super Bowl would change that equation. Nielsen numbers did not or may still not account for people watching in bars, clubs and restaurants, but someone with a decent calculator and some data could tell them otherwise.

Bigger question is why the NCAA championship is an afterthought on a Monday night starting at 915 Eastern; makes no sense at all. Should be some way to accommodate that game and NFL playoffs. That really should be on a Friday or Saturday night. 

4 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

because it would encourage huge house parties and big bar scenes.  they want everyone at home watching it on their own TV so the nielsen numbers show more "households" were viewing, which is what the ad rates are based on, and to do that you need to start in late sunday night

its like why video games are becoming more and more no spit-screen multiplayer, they want each kid at home playing his own copy online 

7 hours ago, chirorob said:

4 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

Main reason this wouldn't happen is it would decrease revenue substantially for the host city. Part of the benefit of hosting a SB is the host city gets, on average, over 3 days per person visiting, as they come in on Friday and leave Monday morning. The league also throws a lot of events on that Saturday and one of the reasons they can make that work is people have the day off. In other words, the league isn't really interested in making things easier for people throwing parties in their homes, those people are going to watch regardless of when it is. The Super Bowl is an ATM for both the league and the host city and so long as the tourism model works with respect to it, it's not changing.

35 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Bigger question is why the NCAA championship is an afterthought on a Monday night starting at 915 Eastern; makes no sense at all. Should be some way to accommodate that game and NFL playoffs. That really should be on a Friday or Saturday night. 

With respect to Saturday, that's never happening. NCAA is never going to put its premier game of the year anywhere near a NFL game, so a weekday is the only option. Within that frame, having the game on a Monday allows for students to be back on Tuesday for classes. Some schools have actually moved back their start dates for Spring to accommodate the game in the past, but to my knowledge that's not the norm.

18 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

FULLY agree.  Either that or have the next day be a national holiday - lol.  Or maybe they can move up President's Day?

I believe this is part of the plan when they talk about extending the regular season to 18 games. It makes a lot of sense in that respect. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I believe this is part of the plan when they talk about extending the regular season to 18 games. It makes a lot of sense in that respect. 

I would be 100% for this.  Cut the pre-season down 2 games.  Add 2 to the regular season and have the Superbowl on a night where people can enjoy it without worrying about work in the morning.  A win on all counts!  One thing I'd like to see though is more late season Saturday afternoon games.  I think they brought them back recently but I'd love to see them for the extra 2 games they're talking about adding.  Get rid of Thursday and add Saturday.

13 hours ago, Larz said:

because it would encourage huge house parties and big bar scenes.  they want everyone at home watching it on their own TV so the nielsen numbers show more "households" were viewing, which is what the ad rates are based on, and to do that you need to start in late sunday night

its like why video games are becoming more and more no spit-screen multiplayer, they want each kid at home playing his own copy online 

Very insightful.

20 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Good idea. There used to be a "Washington's Birthday" holiday. Then I think there was a move to also have a "Lincoln's Birthday" holiday. But I think the "President's Day" holiday was a compromise to prevent the proliferation of federal holidays, and I think it was originally intended to celebrate all Presidents' birthdays. So, since the date is no longer coupled to either Washington's or Lincoln's actual birthdays, what difference does it make what specific date is used for it? Day after Super Bowl is as good as any.

On 2/18/2017 at 0:49 PM, JetsFanatic said:

I figure, it's the Super Bowl.  

People are going to watch.   It's the 2nd biggest food consumption day of the year after Thanksgiving.  It's not just a game, it's an event.  You could argue, THE sporting event of the year in the US.  

On 2/18/2017 at 6:26 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Main reason this wouldn't happen is it would decrease revenue substantially for the host city. Part of the benefit of hosting a SB is the host city gets, on average, over 3 days per person visiting, as they come in on Friday and leave Monday morning. The league also throws a lot of events on that Saturday and one of the reasons they can make that work is people have the day off. In other words, the league isn't really interested in making things easier for people throwing parties in their homes, those people are going to watch regardless of when it is. The Super Bowl is an ATM for both the league and the host city and so long as the tourism model works with respect to it, it's not changing.

That is a good reason.

39 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I figure, it's the Super Bowl.  

People are going to watch.   It's the 2nd biggest food consumption day of the year after Thanksgiving.  It's not just a game, it's an event.  You could argue, THE sporting event of the year in the US.  

Is it even an argument?  What other US sporting event is anywhere close to being as big as the Superbowl?

Archived