The Jets and the QB Position

Smashmouth

On 2/20/2017 at 2:28 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm certainly no expert but the way I understand it, the difficult part is that a QB has to be able to read defenses and make very quick decisions. If a guy is not open then the QB has to go through his list of check downs (again very quickly). Doing this in the face of the remarkable caliber of athlete trying to get him has got to be incredibly difficult. 

I'm hardly convinced a military guy (as someone suggested) is going to be able to determine much in evaluating a young QB.  It's probably not something that can be determined until a QB deals w the game speed (they always talk about how the game "slows down" after a while). 

Btw I don't think a guy like Belichick is what makes Tom Brady either (though it certainly doesn't hurt!)

I am the poster who suggested a profiler/ psychologist  be a part if the process, not the final decision maker. It happens more than you think and you don't even know who the person is they just sit in on the interviews. It was in reference to a kids psychological make up not his football skills. It's not an end all be all decision. It's a blueprint of the kids personality etc, not some  Guantánamo interrogation. The mental aspect of the game is extremely important as most kids have the talent but can't handle the pressure, of the NFL. You be suprised how many of these people are utilized in the hiring of  personnel. Especially on NFL staffs. Some are contracted for short periods of times,  others are full time staff. 

3 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I am the poster who suggested a profiler/ psychologist  be a part if the process, not the final decision maker. It happens more than you think and you don't even know who the person is they just sit in on the interviews. It was in reference to a kids psychological make up not his football skills. It's not an end all be all decision. It's a blueprint of the kids personality etc, not some  Guantánamo interrogation. The mental aspect of the game is extremely important as most kids have the talent but can't handle the pressure, of the NFL. You be suprised how many of these people are utilized in the hiring of  personnel. Especially on NFL staffs. Some are contracted for short periods of times,  others are full time staff. 

Good post. I would take it one step further, have said person in every interview you do with any prospective draftee. You can usually spot a player's talent, or lack thereof, from film and workouts. It's tougher to find out what makes him really tick. Teams have 15-20 coaches, what would one more "mental coach" matter?

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Good post. I would take it one step further, have said person in every interview you do with any prospective draftee. You can usually spot a player's talent, or lack thereof, from film and workouts. It's tougher to find out what makes him really tick. Teams have 15-20 coaches, what would one more "mental coach" matter?

I like that, "Mental coach". I agree it should be done for all prospects. I know most will think it makes no sense but trust me it is a very helpful tool. Here is an example, I know it's the Browns. 

It’s a sign of the times that the Cleveland Browns have hired a team psychologist.

With off-the-field issues becoming so paramount in the NFL, teams are putting more emphasis on detecting players with problems when preparing for the draft.

49 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I like that, "Mental coach". I agree it should be done for all prospects. I know most will think it makes no sense but trust me it is a very helpful tool. Here is an example, I know it's the Browns. 

It’s a sign of the times that the Cleveland Browns have hired a team psychologist.

With off-the-field issues becoming so paramount in the NFL, teams are putting more emphasis on detecting players with problems when preparing for the draft.

Every NFL team is a billion dollar business. Any major corporation has a slew of these people on board. If I owned a team, I'd insist on it.

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

So when he is the starter for the Jets for 10 years or so, starting next year, you will root for another team and haunt their fan sites?  Sounds like a win-win.

Do you think Hack can complete 50% of his passes against practice squad losers before you call for his induction to Canton?

On 2/18/2017 at 5:33 PM, Smashmouth said:

I'm really sick of this bullsh*t when it comes to so called "system QB's" A QB is either going to have what it takes or he's not. Its ALL about whats in his head because most of these guys have the physical skill sets to play the pro game. There has never been a position evaluated worse in all of sports than the QB position and that's simply because its easily the hardest position to play in all of sports and nothing even comes remotely close. So you either get lucky or you don't. We have not been lucky.

They make it sound like these guys could not possibly play from under center and IMHO that's bullsh*t. Most guys at this level have been playing or dreaming about the position of QB for most of their lives its not like they have never seen the game played before. They all watch the pro game and even those in a pro style offense in college still have the same issues as to whether they can handle the pressure of the pro game mentally. They can all learn play books the question is can they bring that to the field on game day ? Dak Prescott did it when no one expected anything from him during the draft same with Russel Wilson both of whom adapted in their rookie years and certainly did not play in any pro style offenses.

Go out and find a guy with guts and brains and teach him the position within your offense and see if it sticks. You usually know pretty early if they are going to make it or not or you very well could be a god damn Jets fan and evaluate a QB before he even gets any game action. There are a lot of QB's in College football and very few get to even try out on a pro roster. Since the scouts have no other way to evaluate these guys ever Imagine how many college QB's that could have turned out great and were never even signed as free agents after the draft.

The biggest key IMHO is getting that QB a good solid O line and a running game its no mystery why Prescott and Wilson played so well its because they had insane Running games to rely on. So what the Jets should do this year is continue to build that O-Line and draft a franchise type RB and let Petty and Hack battle it out if the winner totally sh*ts the bed then we know what to do in next years draft because if one of those guys sh*ts the bed we will probably have the high pick we need to go after a QB. Get the talent then get the QB or do both like Dallas did its certainly better than the way we threw Sanchez and Smith to the wolves with sh*tty WR's and terrible OC's and expected them to succeed. Sanchez seemed to start off decent and even played better in year 2 then it was all down hill with drunks and malcontents as his WR's as the running game went down the drain as well.

Its time to handle the position right and at lest give the guy we do put in there a fighting chance.

Sam Darnold or bust 

Honestly folks do you really feel we will be that terrible next year. I think replacing Revis with a decent QB earns us 1-2 more wins. If we focus on a more run heavy attack which is a given if our QB is Hack/Petty we will win some games. Maybe not pretty or by alot but I don't see us in any way shape or form coming close to picking where we can acquire a franchise QB next year. Think about it ....We have to ensure we suck more than the Browns, the 49ers the bears and other teams that will maybe even have the same tank for Darnold mentality.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using JetNation.com mobile app

On 2/18/2017 at 5:50 PM, Larz said:

I want the jets to do what Theo did with the cubs. "hey guys we are going to suck for a while, but we have a plan"

this "winning while you rebuild" stuff is crap and leads to nothing but the hamster wheel of mediocrity

I say let the kids play, get young and hungry and hey if you go 2-14 and get the #1 pick the right year, even better

but the owner needs to be patient and the GM needs to know he can do it and the HC needs to be able to play kids with no fear

The 20's baby'!!!

On 2/21/2017 at 0:41 PM, The Crusher said:

Sam Darnold or bust 

Its possible we may end up with Darnold but IMHO its up too Woody or whomever the **** is running this team. I say that because if this dumb ass silver spoon billionaire wants to win now or thinks he can win now we will probably make enough changes in FA to just win enough not to get Darnold (thats typical Jets) rather than trying to re build this mess from scratch and throwing a year or two in the sh*tter.

What we have to ask ourselves this year is..... whats more Important ?  a damn good LB or a damn good RB with the 6th pick.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Its possible we may end up with Darnold but IMHO its up too Woody or whomever the **** is running this team. I say that because if this dumb ass silver spoon billionaire wants to win now or thinks he can win now we will probably make enough changes in FA to just win enough not to get Darnold (thats typical Jets) rather than trying to re build this mess from scratch and throwing a year or two in the sh*tter.

What we have to ask ourselves this year is..... whats more Important ?  a damn good LB or a damn good RB with the 6th pick.

I would first try to trade back if anyone is dumb enough. Get some nice young O line studs and couple Db's.  Give them a year to get ready for when Sam shows up. If we can't trade back then I would take Fournette and gets some O line help later.  Sam Darnold + Foursette + O line = Some watchable football for a decade? Maybe not but years to year free agent band aids and lousy draft picks haven;t worked yet.

Archived