The Jets IMO have the beginings of a solid OL

Tinstar

55 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Wesley johnson is a frigging jag, I have no clue how people are so happy with this guy.  His two snap gaffs resulted in an embarrassing everyone except the center offsides and in Petty betting destroyed by wake an suh,

Our guards are decent, Shell made huge improvements in his game, C and LT are huge ?????

Because Wesley Johnson is $9 million cheaper than Mangold who himself is a JAG now

23 minutes ago, thadude said:

Because Wesley Johnson is $9 million cheaper than Mangold who himself is a JAG now

Johnson being awful has nothing to do with Mangold.  If you want to get whichever Qb we trot out there killed you will go with Johnson.  If you want to cut Mangold by all means but find a replacement that knows he snap count.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Johnson being awful has nothing to do with Mangold.  If you want to get whichever Qb we trot out there killed you will go with Johnson.  If you want to cut Mangold by all means but find a replacement that knows he snap count.

That was one play

Bryce Petty sucks.  Get over it already.  

5 minutes ago, thadude said:

That was one play

Bryce Petty sucks.  Get over it already.  

You are a moron, from post one until this one that is evident as you have zero clue as to what people are actually talking about.

He made two plays where he failed on the snap count, one of them got the Qb killed, the fact that you disapprove of the guy that got killed means jack squat.

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You are a moron, from post one until this one that is evident as you have zero clue as to what people are actually talking about.

He made two plays where he failed on the snap count, one of them got the Qb killed, the fact that you disapprove of the guy that got killed means jack squat.

You guys have the patience of Job when it comes to crappy quarterbacks like Petty and Hack

If anyone else has one bad play-- nope career over!

2 hours ago, Lray said:

Ideally we could get a player who's an instant starter with longevity but I don't see it in this draft class. Ramczyk hasn't got the athleticism to be a perennial pro bowler. Bolles is the best T imo but won't be available in the 2nd. We were a pretty good short yardage team with Shonn Greene and Alan Faneca. I'm not sure what LT has to do with short yardage situations though.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

When everyone in the league knows where you're going to run, it's easy to stop . In critical situations, the Jets always run behind the RG and the OC or the RT, but mostly towards the RS of the OL .

5 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Your big worry is about the LT today when you don't know who your QB is ?  The title of this thread is the Jets have the beginnings of  a solid OL, not the Jets have a solid OL .   The implication then should be that the OL is not yet solid, but when all you allow yourself to see is doom and Gloom, that's all you will ever see .  4 of the potential starters will be 28 or under at the end of the 2017 season  and all have starting experience  at the highest level .  Every single player projected to start in this thread  has improved over the length of the 2016 season .

I prefer to see a solid projection, not gloom and doom .

I see nothing wrong with saying it's hard to be optimistic about an OL when you have no idea who the LT is going to be.  It's a simple and correct concept. 

5 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I see nothing wrong with saying it's hard to be optimistic about an OL when you have no idea who the LT is going to be.  It's a simple and correct concept. 

Beloved, there's light at the edge of the tunnel for a LT, but pure darkness when looking for a QB that will be of much use to the Jets for the 2018 season unless a surprise jumps out . 

6 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Your big worry is about the LT today when you don't know who your QB is ?  The title of this thread is the Jets have the beginnings of  a solid OL, not the Jets have a solid OL .   The implication then should be that the OL is not yet solid, but when all you allow yourself to see is doom and Gloom, that's all you will ever see .  4 of the potential starters will be 28 or under at the end of the 2017 season  and all have starting experience  at the highest level .  Every single player projected to start in this thread  has improved over the length of the 2016 season .

I prefer to see a solid projection, not gloom and doom .

Man, are you in the wrong place.

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Quick question regarding the past two regimes: Is anything ever going to actually be good? Because the last 4-5 years have been filled with a lot of people offering a lot of long winded explanations on how said player or unit on the team is going to be awesome. Just wondering if the resident experts could give some sort of expectation as to when that might happen.

The Jets scouting department, over the past 8 years or so, has done an atrocious job.  I think a collection of savvy fans, including myself, could do better.

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't really disagree with this, but I would prefer to have the worst OL in the league than to do what we did with the secondary.  I agree, that optimism about Wesley Johnson and Shell is overstated.  I think Winters is meh and Carpenter has been good, but has been dinged up quite a bit.  I still would rather save money than throw cash at guys that are known quality starters.  Get a bunch of cheap guys in and let them fight it out.  Mangold is great, but they pay him way too much.  They could have rolled with guys like Will Montgomery and Godwin who both were almost free and also played center in the NFL for around a decade. 

I agree there was a problem with some of the offensive lines the Jets trotted out there.  In 2007, they did not properly prepare for dumping Kendall late and tried damn near everything.  I actually like Montgomery there at that point, but Adrien Clarke and Jacob Bender were disasters.  I think the Wayne Hunter year they were counting on Ducasse stepping up.  A mid-level vet that played well in limited time as a floor and a 2nd year 2nd round pick out of a small school seems like the correct way to handle a position,  Of course, in practice it was a disaster. 

I agree that going out and dropping a ton of cap space on the older average vets is not the best long term plan.

The issue we have is from blatant neglect at the position in the past 10 drafts.  

We need to resign Johnson to a modest extension and draft at least 2 tackles, preferably early.

Yes we need corners and a pass rusher.  So use a high pick on a PR and make due with what we have at corner.  I would rather see what Burris and Roberts can do before we force them to be 4 or 5 on the depth chart because we threw a ton of $$  on a FA or use another premium draft pick on another corner.

6 hours ago, Tinstar said:

When everyone in the league knows where you're going to run, it's easy to stop . In critical situations, the Jets always run behind the RG and the OC or the RT, but mostly towards the RS of the OL .

That's because none of the Qb's on our roster were good enough to spread the field 

48 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I agree that going out and dropping a ton of cap space on the older average vets is not the best long term plan.

The issue we have is from blatant neglect at the position in the past 10 drafts.  

We need to resign Johnson to a modest extension and draft at least 2 tackles, preferably early.

Yes we need corners and a pass rusher.  So use a high pick on a PR and make due with what we have at corner.  I would rather see what Burris and Roberts can do before we force them to be 4 or 5 on the depth chart because we threw a ton of $$  on a FA or use another premium draft pick on another corner.

We probably win at least 1 super bowl between 2008-2010 if we keep Abe and give Jonathan Goodwin the starting center job in 2006 - Mangini thought he was such a JAG he traded away our last good edge rusher to get another Center

Goodwin had a good career with the Saints as their starting C

Putting aside what happens, or not, at Qb, the real tension is the tradeoff in filling at least one starter in the secondary versus restocking the OL when it comes to high picks in the draft.  Sounds like the FO is looking hard at getting that probably CB in FA, which even if it costs will open up going high draft pick for the OL, most likely tackles.

On 2/21/2017 at 8:02 PM, thadude said:

We probably win at least 1 super bowl between 2008-2010 if we keep Abe and give Jonathan Goodwin the starting center job in 2006 - Mangini thought he was such a JAG he traded away our last good edge rusher to get another Center

Goodwin had a good career with the Saints as their starting C

Not disagreeing with you but Wilfork and Seymour dictated what we did at Center.  

Archived