Would you take a chance on Joe Mixon?

Beerfish

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Then why not us?  High end talent will fall in the draft.

For what it's worth, Tony Pauline on his Draft Analyst Site said that he still thinks Mixon will not get drafted, but if you looked at it from just a pure football standpoint, he has a late 1st round grade on him. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Some guys such as whats his face LB for Cincy have been not bad risks. 

However for sure these days even a rumor of bad things drops players these days.  (La'el Collins and Tunsils fall last year)

Burfict. You may want to use another example...the guy cost his team a playoff game two years ago.

Just now, section314 said:

Burfict. You may want to use another example...the guy cost his team a playoff game two years ago.

I knew someone would come up with that response.  Other than that the guy was a good player for them.  Our 1st rounder 13th overall pick is one toke away from a year long suspension.  At some point in time talent meets risk, its a matter of where and when.

He isn't invited to the combine.  He is going to have his work cut out for him in the interviews.  I think the kid is an off the field problem and it goes beyond punching the girl.  He also ripped up a ticket and tried to intimidate a meter maid, (I know, I know, not the politically correct term) including inching like he would hit her with his car.  Some of these kids turn out, some don't.  Most just tease, but the problems they bring often cause problems that hurt the whole team.  For instance, Green-Beckham seems like he was worth a shot with his huge upside and moderate production, but when you start reading about how he is more concerned with the party scene in Philly than the team, he isn't going to help your young QB improve.

28 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Easy pass. This guy knocked a woman out cold after she rebuffed his advances. If he's paid his dues then forgive, but the NYJ certainly don't need to give him a job.  

Give me James Conner in Rd 6 over this guy any day. 

Not that the Jets should consider him, but she didn't "rebuff his advances."  She pushed him and slapped him.  The claim was that he was harassing her gay friend.  The video is all over the place and even the girl doesn't claim he was coming on to her.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Then why not us?  High end talent will fall in the draft.

Because we're talking about the Tri -state area and it's 9 zillion media members all looking for an angle to make they career .  The constant distraction would be unbelievable 

I knew someone would come up with that response.  Other than that the guy was a good player for them.  Our 1st rounder 13th overall pick is one toke away from a year long suspension.  At some point in time talent meets risk, its a matter of where and when.

Good point.

Yes, I would take a shot on him.  

He has some problems and he's definitely dropping in the draft, but I don't think he's some monster hunting women.

From the tapes- I see her being aggressive and shoving him first.  He was arrested because she said the attack was unprovoked, when she made the first initial contact and supposedly spit on him.  If this is what happened in the Revis case, (those two guys) pushed and spit on Revis with video proof, I guarantee you there wouldn't be a case.  If I went up to some guy physically stronger than me, pushed and spit on him, I'm pretty sure I'm getting my ass kicked, probably more than one punch too.  It's more of an over-reaction to the whole Ray Rice case when people freaked out about the length of the suspension. 

Ray Lewis basically killed a guy, and people bend over backwards to blow him off.  Frank Clark was accused of domestic violence and Seattle couldn't care less.   

I draft this guy in the 3rd or 4th without any regret.  

Exactly what good is a talented player who can't see the field because he's suspended  .

3 hours ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Easy pass. This guy knocked a woman out cold after she rebuffed his advances. If he's paid his dues then forgive, but the NYJ certainly don't need to give him a job.  

Give me James Conner in Rd 6 over this guy any day. 

To bad that's not how it happened. He was called the N word, and when he went to confront the group, she started swinging on him.

I don't feel sorry for a female that thinks it's ok for them to put their hands on you. If they get KO'ed, oh well.

I'd absolutely take a chance on Mixon

15 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Exactly what good is a talented player who can't see the field because he's suspended  .

You earlier said this:  "but I hope someone does . Everyone makes mistakes, and forgiveness should be our way f life, not condemnation .  "  you hope another team gives the guy a shot and he may be a really good p;layer but not for us now you are saying he will be suspended all the time.

I also think this thought that 'omg! this is new york so everything is magnified 100 times is a lot of baloney.  The NFL is huge news in very city that has a team.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You earlier said this:  "but I hope someone does . Everyone makes mistakes, and forgiveness should be our way f life, not condemnation .  "  you hope another team gives the guy a shot and he may be a really good p;layer but not for us now you are saying he will be suspended all the time.

I also think this thought that 'omg! this is new york so everything is magnified 100 times is a lot of baloney.  The NFL is huge news in very city that has a team.

No sir, you took 2 sentences and made them 1 thought .  Everyone deserves a 2nd and 3rd and 4th chance, but where you get those chances may be a great assist on how you move forward . There's a huge difference between playing spots for a team in Texas  compared to a team in Green Bay or compared to a team in the tri-state area . It might be in the best interest of this player to start his career away from the big cities, rebuild his image and go from there . 

16 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

The guy that even has to ask that question.

Be real here, this is the NFL and bad boys abound.  If guys can play the game they get 'forgiven'.  I assume that you feel that the Jets should have curt Richardson last year immediately after his 2nd or 3rd indiscretion?

The only RB I want the Jets to use a draft pick on is L.Fournette. And that is simply because he is a special talent.

The Jets are financially invested in Forte and Powell. Both guys can catch the ball out of the backfield and both guys still have plenty left in the tank. A 3rd string RB can be pulled off the scrap heap, already be on the team or signed as a cheap FA.

Unless we are using a 6th or 7th round pick, no RBs other than L.Fournette should be drafted by the Jets.  

As far as Mixon, his off field issues will push him down and he may be there in the 6th or 7th, but he is  gamble and you could probably sign him as an UDFA if you really like his game. I'm not that high on him as a player and I definitely don't want to use a draft pick on a guy with off field issues. 

On 2/21/2017 at 1:06 PM, section314 said:

I thought the goal this off season was to clean house of the creeps, not bring in more. No thanks, let him go beat up girls somewhere else.

the team that signed Vick is all of a sudden going to get all high and mighty with a kid who made an awful mistake and paid dearly for it?   

Mixon is a kid.   Yes, he's probably been coddled all of his life b/c of his immense talent.  He's likely been treated as a god for most if not all of his adult life and never had to take responsibility for his misdeeds.   He has already paid a huge price for the biggest mistake of his life - like $5-6M for one lapse in judgement.   It's not like he was murdering dogs and running an illegal dog fighting operation after he had millions of $ in the bank.   

Give the kid a chance, he deserves it.   

On 2/23/2017 at 0:09 PM, PepPep said:

The only RB I want the Jets to use a draft pick on is L.Fournette. And that is simply because he is a special talent.

The Jets are financially invested in Forte and Powell. Both guys can catch the ball out of the backfield and both guys still have plenty left in the tank. A 3rd string RB can be pulled off the scrap heap, already be on the team or signed as a cheap FA.

Unless we are using a 6th or 7th round pick, no RBs other than L.Fournette should be drafted by the Jets.  

As far as Mixon, his off field issues will push him down and he may be there in the 6th or 7th, but he is  gamble and you could probably sign him as an UDFA if you really like his game. I'm not that high on him as a player and I definitely don't want to use a draft pick on a guy with off field issues. 

If the Jets don't take a running back in a very deep running back draft because they have almost done Forte and nearing 30 Powell, then that would be a fireable offense. They need to take someone in the middle rounds to groom to start next season or at least split the load. Focus on 2018. Forte will be gone and Powell will have one year left. Khiry Robinson isn't the answer and neither are any of the younger guys that were around last season. 

And no, Mixon should not be the guy they take. He can get a second chance with some other team. Not mine. 

Blaming Burfict for Cincys loss vs the Steelers is ridiculous. The guy was ALL OVER THE PLACE in that game, without him the Bengals aren't even in that game! He made play after play, in fact it was pissing me off that we didn't sign him as an UDFA.

Blame the refs in that game! Burfict lost it out of frustration. That game was officiated so one sided it was obvious that the old school NFL regime was at it again trying to glorify the Steelers. Cincy GOT ROBBED in that game.

10 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

the team that signed Vick is all of a sudden going to get all high and mighty with a kid who made an awful mistake and paid dearly for it?   

Mixon is a kid.   Yes, he's probably been coddled all of his life b/c of his immense talent.  He's likely been treated as a god for most if not all of his adult life and never had to take responsibility for his misdeeds.   He has already paid a huge price for the biggest mistake of his life - like $5-6M for one lapse in judgement.   It's not like he was murdering dogs and running an illegal dog fighting operation after he had millions of $ in the bank.   

Give the kid a chance, he deserves it.   

Agree with all of it. Just not on my team. 

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If the Jets don't take a running back in a very deep running back draft because they have almost done Forte and nearing 30 Powell, then that would be a fireable offense. They need to take someone in the middle rounds to groom to start next season or at least split the load. Focus on 2018. Forte will be gone and Powell will have one year left. Khiry Robinson isn't the answer and neither are any of the younger guys that were around last season. 

And no, Mixon should not be the guy they take. He can get a second chance with some other team. Not mine. 

I mean, I simply disagree. And that's fine. Fire-able offense??? Because its a deep draft at RB? C'mon man. What a joke.

If it's so deep, with some good scouting, they can find a good RB in the late rounds or as an UDFA. 

2018 may not be a deep draft at RB, but that doesn't mean the Jet can't draft a really good one then, if they felt like it was the right move. There's ALWAYS good RBs in the draft. 

Forte will not be around for long, but he easily has two more very good seasons in him. Like I said, the Jets have two RBs they are financially invested in for the 2017 season. I doubt they carry 4 RBs on the roster. That leaves one spot to fill for depth and can easily be someone currently on the roster or an UDFA or a late draft pick.

You don't 'groom' a RB like you groom a QB or a CB or a MLB or a LT, etc. There's no reason the Jets need to draft a RB to prepare for the eventual release of Forte. They have so many other holes right now, it just doesn't make sense, to me, to be using one of their 5 drat picks in first 5 rounds on one.  

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I mean, I simply disagree. And that's fine. Fire-able offense??? Because its a deep draft at RB? C'mon man. What a joke.

If it's so deep, with some good scouting, they can find a good RB in the late rounds or as an UDFA. 

2018 may not be a deep draft at RB, but that doesn't mean the Jet can't draft a really good one then, if they felt like it was the right move. There's ALWAYS good RBs in the draft. 

Forte will not be around for long, but he easily has two more very good seasons in him. Like I said, the Jets have two RBs they are financially invested in for the 2017 season. I doubt they carry 4 RBs on the roster. That leaves one spot to fill for depth and can easily be someone currently on the roster or an UDFA or a late draft pick.

You don't 'groom' a RB like you groom a QB or a CB or a MLB or a LT, etc. There's no reason the Jets need to draft a RB to prepare for the eventual release of Forte. They have so many other holes right now, it just doesn't make sense, to me, to be using one of their 5 drat picks in first 5 rounds on one.  

And I disagree with this, two years from now no won will give a sh*t about Powell or forte being okay backs if some guy we didn't draft in the 5th round id the new jordan howard.

When a draft is deep in  a position you shouldn't be avoiding it even if you have mediocre or okay players in that spot.  You take advantage of deep positions in a draft and sooner or later your overall talent level rises.  Don't wait for a hole to be there to have draft a player.

I don't think you have to worry though as I think this regime has made it clear they could give a sh*t about young RBS, they keep signing old jags as depth.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And I disagree with this, two years from now no won will give a sh*t about Powell or forte being okay backs if some guy we didn't draft in the 5th round id the new jordan howard.

When a draft is deep in  a position you shouldn't be avoiding it even if you have mediocre or okay players in that spot.  You take advantage of deep positions in a draft and sooner or later your overall talent level rises.  Don't wait for a hole to be there to have draft a player.

I don't think you have to worry though as I think this regime has made it clear they could give a sh*t about young RBS, they keep signing old jags as depth.

But that's a simplistic view. The jets have other holes. Shouldn't they MAYBE consider addressing those first. You can't have it all. By your logic, why can't the Jets find a Jordan Howard in the 6th or 7th or an UDFA then? Shouldn't they focus on getting a CB, S, TE...those are deep position in this draft as well. Those are bigger needs. Those are positions where the team needs depth (especially if they cut Revis and/or Skrine and/or Gilchrist). It's not so much about refusing to address the RB position. It's about drafting the right position at the right time. I'd rather have a Cam Chancelor (5th round pick safety), Richard Sherman (5th round pick CB), or Brent Celek (5th round pick TE) when the Jets are desperate for depth and talent at those positions than a Jordan Howard at RB when the Jets have Forte and Powell. Just saying. 

Apart from Fournette being there at 6, there is no way I can lay out a mock for the Jets that has them taking a RB before the 6th or 7th round. Even then, I would rather go after a different position. 

Rd. 1 and 2- Pass Rusher, Safety, CB, O-line, MAYBE a TE in rd. 2.

RD. 3 (two picks) and Rd. 5: TE, O-line (maybe double dip), Safety, MAYBE a CB but you should really get one in Rd. 1 or 2- IMO, maybe Pass Rusher but you should really get one in Rd. 1 or 2. Maybe ILB to eventually replace Harris- like in Rd. 5.

RB just does not fit unless you have a truly BPA pick available to you. Which is why I would take Fournette at 6- the most talented player in the draft-IMO.    

Archived