ARZ Cardinal's Free agent LB Kevin Minter wants to sign with the Jets.

Gas2No99

Kevin Minter - LB -  Cardinals

Free agent LB Kevin Minter wants to sign with the Jets.

Minter has strong ties to Todd Bowles, who coached him the first two years of his career. The Jets don't have a huge need at inside linebacker but Minter could be an option if Darron Lee moves outside. Minter is Rotoworld's No. 6 free agent linebacker.

Feb 22 - 5:40 PM

S

Cardinals’ LB Kevin Minter would like playing for the Jets

DEL160828_Cardinals_vs_Texans_080.jpg

Arizona Cardinals’ LB Kevin Minter, an impending free agent, recently spoke about his potential landing spots, indicating that he would be happy to play for the Jets. He said:

“I definitely wouldn’t mind playing in New York. Coach Bowles was the one who essentially drafted me.”

Bowles was with the Cardinals when Minter was brought on. He used his success there to land the head coaching job with the Jets. In that sense, it would be a good fit, as Bowles already knows that he likes what Minter has to offer.

Of course, a lot of teams would. Last year, he was able to put up 81 tackles and 3.5 sacks. In 2015, he had even more tackles, with 94. In his four seasons with the Cardinals, he’s amassed 223 combined tackles and five sacks.

When looking at his style of play, Terrance Biggs of Yahoo Sports said:

“Perhaps the most important trait of any MLB, Minter is a sudden tackler. That is to say, he uses textbook technique and good power to make the stop…Minter attacks the runner and drives him to the ground with force…Although rush the passer is not high on the list of crucial ILB traits, those who can grab attention. In [this] case, Minter displays an above-average knack [for] getting to the quarterback. This skill is helpful to edge rushers because pressure up the middle forces the passer to the outside.”

Of course, Minter is only keeping his options open. When asked if he wanted to stay with the Cardinals, he said:

“I would love to be here; I would love to finish my career here.”

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

With Harrison likely cut, Minter would be a great replacement. 

Cut Revis, Harris, Gilchrist and sign a big time CB, Minter, and draft Hooker/Adams. This defense would be drastically improved while saving money at all 3 positions.

I agree that the defense would be drastically improved by doing that.

I am not so sure the Jets save money at all 3 positions.    It could be more like a wash to slightly negative, which is ok because the Jets can save money by cutting the overpaid over the hill guys on offense.  

Janoris Jenkins' cap number was 8 and then 13 and 15.  By cutting Revis the Jets save 9 I think.

My guess is that Minter would get a contract around Harris, who averaged 7.  Demario Davis got 4 and Brandon Marshall (Broncos) got 8.

Pick 6 would get paid around the same as Gilcrist.  Signing a Tony Jefferson and saving the pick for a QB, WR or even safety (both Gilcrist and Pryor can go) may be a better route.  Kam Chancellor's contract averages 7 per year.

15 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:
Kevin Minter - LB -  Cardinals

Free agent LB Kevin Minter wants to sign with the Jets.

Minter has strong ties to Todd Bowles, who coached him the first two years of his career. The Jets don't have a huge need at inside linebacker but Minter could be an option if Darron Lee moves outside. Minter is Rotoworld's No. 6 free agent linebacker.

Feb 22 - 5:40 PM

Lee could be moved to outside safety?

4 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

With Harris likely cut, Minter would be a great replacement. 

Cut Revis, Harris, Gilchrist and sign a big time CB, Minter, and draft Hooker/Adams. This defense would be drastically improved while saving money at all 3 positions.

As much as I love Harris, alas it IS time to move on.

I concur with your outlook and agree that we should proceed accordingly. 

4631d887e91b8b038664275c26f5ecbe82d30a9e

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Hopefully Tony Jefferson feels the same way, he's also a free agent:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16195/tony-jefferson

Well we know through his Twitter posts that Tony Jefferson wants to play for the Raiders.  https://twitter.com/stillryanfive/status/831565961241182208.         

Really doesn't matter where a free agent wants to play for.    It's all about who gives him the most money, as that where he will probably sign with.

5 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

With Harrison likely cut, Minter would be a great replacement. 

While I'm ok with those swaps, it likely won't save money:

CUT REVIS: Figure a "big time" CB to get $12-15m/yr (hard to say; I don't know 100% who's still going to be available when FA starts). A generic/nameless "big time" CB is going to be $3-6m more than Revis is due to get, above his $6m sunk cost. (Revis = $15m; cutting Revis plus adding a new $12m CB = $18m). 

CUT HARRIS: Bet anything Minter gets something near (or more than) the $7m/yr Trevathan got a year earlier. This is more than the $6.5mHarris is due, even if it's only slightly more.

CUT GILCHRIST: Hooker/Adams will be about $5.5m/yr which is almost the same as the $6m Gilchrist is due to make (and less than they could easily get him for, should they demand a mild $1-2m pay cut). Plus further consider the bigger-money FA position the Jets do not wrap up at #6 if they decide to go with a safety there.

While it will surely improve the aggregate play at those 3 positions, it's not a money saver.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

While I'm ok with those swaps, it likely won't save money:

CUT REVIS: Figure a "big time" CB to get $12-15m/yr (hard to say; I don't know 100% who's still going to be available when FA starts). A generic/nameless "big time" CB is going to be $3-6m more than Revis is due to get, above his $6m sunk cost. (Revis = $15m; cutting Revis plus adding a new $12m CB = $18m). 

CUT HARRIS: Bet anything Minter gets something near (or more than) the $7m/yr Trevathan got a year earlier. This is more than the $6.5mHarris is due, even if it's only slightly more.

CUT GILCHRIST: Hooker/Adams will be about $5.5m/yr which is almost the same as the $6m Gilchrist is due to make (and less than they could easily get him for, should they demand a mild $1-2m pay cut). Plus further consider the bigger-money FA position the Jets do not wrap up at #6 if they decide to go with a safety there.

While it will surely improve the aggregate play at those 3 positions, it's not a money saver.

Exactly.  Minter is going to get comparable money to Harris because of his age and stats.

ILB's are a dime a dozen.  If we're spending money on D I'd rather get a pass rusher (Nick Perry or JPP)

This FO is not going to look to save money. everyones job is on the line and none of them are going to put their financial stability on the line just for the good of the future of the franchise. Mac is going to spend like crazy this year to ensure the team is in the playoff hunt come November. 

Kevin Minter would be a great pickup / replacement for Harris. Hes a younger version of the hitman who seems to show a lot of leadership qualities. I would be all for bringing him in.

Exactly.  Minter is going to get comparable money to Harris because of his age and stats.

ILB's are a dime a dozen.  If we're spending money on D I'd rather get a pass rusher (Nick Perry or JPP)

can't tell if JPP over Minter is meant to be a joke or not.

I love the way this guy plays. He's an instant upgrade. He has solid tackling form and he flys around. We need sure tacklers..these big plays we are accustomed to giving up is a mixture of not knowing where to be and bad tackling. Minter is a big step in fixing that mess. He also knows the system well and that's a huge plus too. Sign this beast.

On 2/22/2017 at 11:52 PM, thadude said:

Would be nice to sign him but at the right price.  I'd rather draft Haason Reddick at 38 who will be way cheaper and possibly better

Either way Harris absolutely needs to go

Very doubtful that Hassan Reddick makes it out of the first round.     Hard to see a lot of teams passing on him late in the first round( might not get pass the Raiders pick at 24).  

Archived