Jets offseason is predictable and scary

JohnnyLV

We do not have to even wait for the actual events to happen to know what the Jets will do this offseason and how it will certainly extend the cycle of mediocrity for our team. 

Woody, master of half measures, of course did it again. Bowles is not a long term solution at HC. He lost the team, is poor at game planning, in game management, teaching, developing young players and on and on. I am all for longevity at the coaching position, but you have to choose the right person to begin with. Mac has not been stellar but has made some good draft picks and quite a few good UDFA signings and his drafts are influenced by Bowles yet another "all defense, no offense" style head coach.

The full move was to fire Bowles (especially since Gailey was already leaving) and commit 3 to 5 years to Mac with his HC to build a team.

Of course Woody chose the half move again, and essentially decided to make both Bowles and Mac both lame ducks.

So going into the offseason they both know they cannot focus on building long term success they have to figure out how to win now. So here is our offseason:

1. We will once again mortgage the future and "win" the free agency period. After a veteran purge, expect Mac to spend like a madman on highly overpaid mediocre talents at OL and in the secondary. None will be good.

2. They won't take a chance at developing a QB, and Bowles is yet another HC that wants a veteran game manager, so expect a surprisingly high contract for yet another veteran retread QB like Cutler effectively giving up on both Hack and Petty

3. Expect the draft to once again be defense again, probably a reach at CB or safety (none of which are good choices at 6 EVER unless you get a Charles Woodson, or Troy Polamalu. We will draft a couple project lineman in mid rounds and a couple skill players late

And we will suck next year and be boring to watch again. We will limp to 6 or 7 wins at best, Mac and Bowles will be fired and the cycle will start all over again with Woody once again hiring another DC flavor of the month that will not care about offense again and will be truly mediorce for  3 or 4 years before we do the same thing again.

.... so much wrong here ... don't know where to start. 1. We have no money to be big players in FA. 2.) Jury is out on Bowles ... one good year one bad year ... to fire him would have been acting like the Cleveland Browns ... 3) Lots of young talent in this team ... can't continue ... it becomes repetitious and boring.

28 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

2. They won't take a chance at developing a QB, and Bowles is yet another HC that wants a veteran game manager, so expect a surprisingly high contract for yet another veteran retread QB like Cutler effectively giving up on both Hack and Petty

Did you just call Cutler a game manager?  Seriously? 

29 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

We do not have to even wait for the actual events to happen to know what the Jets will do this offseason and how it will certainly extend the cycle of mediocrity for our team. 

Woody, master of half measures, of course did it again. Bowles is not a long term solution at HC. He lost the team, is poor at game planning, in game management, teaching, developing young players and on and on. I am all for longevity at the coaching position, but you have to choose the right person to begin with. Mac has not been stellar but has made some good draft picks and quite a few good UDFA signings and his drafts are influenced by Bowles yet another "all defense, no offense" style head coach.

The full move was to fire Bowles (especially since Gailey was already leaving) and commit 3 to 5 years to Mac with his HC to build a team.

Of course Woody chose the half move again, and essentially decided to make both Bowles and Mac both lame ducks.

So going into the offseason they both know they cannot focus on building long term success they have to figure out how to win now. So here is our offseason:

1. We will once again mortgage the future and "win" the free agency period. After a veteran purge, expect Mac to spend like a madman on highly overpaid mediocre talents at OL and in the secondary. None will be good.

3. Expect the draft to once again be defense again, probably a reach at CB or safety (none of which are good choices at 6 EVER unless you get a Charles Woodson, or Troy Polamalu. We will draft a couple project lineman in mid rounds and a couple skill players late

And we will suck next year and be boring to watch again. We will limp to 6 or 7 wins at best, Mac and Bowles will be fired and the cycle will start all over again with Woody once again hiring another DC flavor of the month that will not care about offense again and will be truly mediorce for  3 or 4 years before we do the same thing again.

What a pessimist. 

Wait,  no..... Actually spot on

33 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

1.  Name me a franchise that has fired a head coach after 2 years in which the first year, the team won 10 or more games. No one has yet to answer this. And that seems to be that it hasn't been done because it's bad business.

2. You can't really reach for a safety or a CB in the top ten if they have been projected into the top ten. That is why Darron Lee, no matter how many people try to make the point, was not a reach. If anything, drafting an OL or a QB in the top ten may be a reach this year.

3. If they win 7 games and the young talent is developing, Bowles and Macc are staying. Woody did not make the playoffs a mandate. He's had chances but he didn't

Just now, LurkerKing said:

The only inaccuracy I see here is that the Jets win 9-10 games in these types of situations and either narrowly miss the playoffs or exit in the wildcard round. 

If anything, the SOJ law means they will win 9-10 games in a year where are a ton of QBs and they will miss the chance to draft them

If anything, the SOJ law means they will win 9-10 games in a year where are a ton of QBs and they will miss the chance to draft them

if we get young enough this year... we could mortgage most of our picks next year to move up in the draft to grab one

but i think we will be major players in "Suck for Luck II"

So generic, so wrong.

You can start right off with the criticism of the draft picks. Excluding the punter, Mac has drafted 50/50 offense and defense. Yes, both first rounds were defense. Both second rounds were offense. Look at the two first round picks and you're lazy to point out we blindly drafted defense because it's what the coach wanted. Williams was BPA and easily one of our best first round picks in a long time. If you want to criticize the Williams pick you have to criticize BPA as a technique. Lee, okay, if you want to be lazy you can point to another defensive first round pick; but that is a lazy analysis. We had/have a need at LB and Mac has said in the past one of his goals is to create a system at LB where the team has enough depth that we never get held hostage to overpriced contracts or FA on that position because there's always another quality player ready to step in. (He pointed to PIT as the example of this.) You can't do that without drafting LBs consistently. You may disagree with either of the rationales for those two picks but to say they were picks to satiate the HC is both wrong and lazy.

32 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

.... so much wrong here ... don't know where to start. 1. We have no money to be big players in FA. 2.) Jury is out on Bowles ... one good year one bad year ... to fire him would have been acting like the Cleveland Browns ... 3) Lots of young talent in this team ... can't continue ... it becomes repetitious and boring.

Bowles sucks, please stop. He is the 2nd or 3rd worst HC this organization has ever had. The man is clueless. Stop glorifying a 10-6 mirage of a season where when it counted, they sh*t themselves.

Bowles sucks, please stop. He is the 2nd or 3rd worst HC this organization has ever had. The man is clueless. Stop glorifying a 10-6 mirage of a season where when it counted, they sh*t themselves.

i am not sure of that ... he deserves another year.

Sign corner.

Sign safety.

Sign corner.

Sign unstartable OL.

Sign backup-backup DE.

Get rebuffed on Richardson trades.

Sign ILB.

Get strung along by Trash QB X.

Talk up Hackenberg.

Vastly overpay for Brian Hoyer.

"We still think Christian can be a very good player in this league, but..."

Draft: 1. CB; 2. Ryan Anderson; 3. OG; 4. DT; 5. QB; 6. SS; 7. DE

Sign corner.
Sign safety.
Sign corner.
Sign unstartable OL.
Sign backup-backup DE.
Sign ILB.
Talk up Hackenberg.

At least this is well thought out ... even if 90% could
be wrong

The original post is spot on!! Bowles and Mac are so into "preserve my job/career" mode that we will once again mortgage the success of our future for a chance at 9 or 10 wins this yr.

Deshaun Watson is a player that can win a super bowl in this league one day. But we'll pass on him bc Cutler or Hoyer (plus a high pick on corner/safety) can win us 9 in 2017, effectively preserving their job for another year.

Just now, Pointdexter said:

The original post is spot on!! Bowles and Mac are so into "preserve my job/career" mode that we will once again mortgage the success of our future for a chance at 9 or 10 wins this yr.

Deshaun Watson is a player that can win a super bowl in this league one day. But we'll pass on him bc Cutler or Hoyer (plus a high pick on corner/safety) can win us 9 in 2017, effectively preserving their job for another year.

Not so sure about the Watson part of that.

He threw 28 ints in 2 seasons. In the ACC is what makes that number of ints so much more alarming. What elite defenses in that conference did he face to throw that many picks?

He may be a dynamic dual-threat but he is far from a superstar QB. Jets should wait until 2018 for a 1st round pick QB talent

There is some truth to the OP and it reflects justifiable frustration.

When i think about the state of affairs of the Jets I keep coming back to the same themes:

• I don't know whether Quinn and Bowles are fundamentally different coaches.  I actually like Bowles defensive scheme better.  Bowles did not execute on defense at all last year. Quinn was helped by better organizational drafting over the last 10 years in particular (Ryan and Jones) and some good targeted drafting for Quinn's defense over the last 2.   The Jets need to work better together going forward.
  • The Broncos seems like a good model.  They built their team up to the point where it was worth bringing Peyton in to pilot it.  They had Cuter and Tebow (late first round QBs) before that.   The Jets are better off building the team than reaching for a QB at 6
  • I am not sure whether picking a QB at 6 is reaching though.   I think at this point a Mahomes is a QB a better team picks to develop for the future-he will likely not make it past Pittsburgh.  I am not seeing the Jets at 6 leaving Kizer, Watson or Trubinsky on the board,   Trading 6 to Cleveland for 12 and other picks seems to make more sense to me than picking one of the QBs.
  • The Jets' biggest problem could be that Hack was a really bad pick.   You can teach alot in 8 months.  For someone who was the number 1 QB recruit in HS and has played QB all his life, the Jets have to be able to ramp up Hack to see what he can do in 2017.
  • With the roster as it is currently constructed, it makes no sense to buy a QB now.  If the QBs we have stink, they we get a Golden Ticket to pick a new one in 2018.   If our QBs work out, all the better.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Sign corner.

Sign safety.

Sign corner.

Sign unstartable OL.

Sign backup-backup DE.

Sign ILB.

Talk up Hackenberg.

You were fired 3 seasons ago and are no longer allowed to speak for the Jets  Mr Idzik

The original post is spot on!! Bowles and Mac are so into "preserve my job/career" mode that we will once again mortgage the success of our future for a chance at 9 or 10 wins this yr. Deshaun Watson is a player that can win a super bowl in this league one day. But we'll pass on him bc Cutler or Hoyer (plus a high pick on corner/safety) can win us 9 in 2017, effectively preserving their job for another year.

DeShaun Watson is an interception factory. Pass. I don't need the next Mike Vick / Vince Young / Marcus Mariota / Cam Newton ... give me a pure pocket passer ala Kirk Cousins/ Andrew Luck any day.

I e read enough to hear that Watson has accuracy issues with easier throws and sails the ball at times ... pass.

I agree with OP.  Woody is running this organization with half measures.  He needs to be able to commit to a GM and give him total autonomy on the HC decision.  That's the first thing.  Woody needs to understand he's not a good enough football mind to be able to make the coaching decisions.

Secondly, they need to stop trying to be relevant every year with big FA signings.  It's ok to stay young and lean until we get a shot at a real franchise QB.  Woody and the GM have to be able to swallow that pill.

Just now, jetscrazey said:

I agree with OP.  Woody is running this organization with half measures.  He needs to be able to commit to a GM and give him total autonomy on the HC decision.  That's the first thing.  Woody needs to understand he's not a good enough football mind to be able to make the coaching decisions.

Secondly, they need to stop trying to be relevant every year with big FA signings.  It's ok to stay young and lean until we get a shot at a real franchise QB.  Woody and the GM have to be able to swallow that pill.

That's why he asked Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf to help him. Him going to London is also going to help that.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Sign corner.

Sign safety.

Sign corner.

Sign unstartable OL.

Sign backup-backup DE.

Sign ILB.

Talk up Hackenberg.

This was fun and funny until you said Hoyer. Now I hope you get diarrhea. 

Just curious, does writing out and just assuming the worst make people feel better? Does it actually help you to write it down? Do you feel better being cynical and expecting the worst? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or a jerk here, I'm genuinely curious... Because for me, I'd rather focus on what they could do right. I'd choose to highlight the ways in which they can improve instead of consistently talking about what they'll do wrong... That's just me though. Everyone's different... I just don't get the satisfaction in threads like this. 

34 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Just curious, does writing out and just assuming the worst make people feel better? Does it actually help you to write it down? Do you feel better being cynical and expecting the worst? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or a jerk here, I'm genuinely curious... Because for me, I'd rather focus on what they could do right. I'd choose to highlight the ways in which they can improve instead of consistently talking about what they'll do wrong... That's just me though. Everyone's different... I just don't get the satisfaction in threads like this. 

Ha, lol I agree 100% on this. Classic doom and gloom Jet fans. 

I have a glass half-full view. 

To me, Hack has a bright future and I believe the Jets brass actually BELIEVE in him despite what so many Jet fans say. I think there's a reason Macc scouted QBs exhaustively in 2016 and ended up drafting Hack. I don't think you can assume Hack is terrible just b/c he didn't play during the season. It's just silly. So many people (including me) complained that both Geno and Sanchez were set up to fail by being thrown into the fire. Then you have a GM and coach who puts his foot down and says Hack needs to sit for a full season because he is not ready and now he is a bust b/c he did not start some meaningless games towards the end of the season? Fans that cannot see the immense potential in Hack and only see the inconsistency in his accuracy and unrefined footwork clearly have blinders on.

I believe the secondary can be overhauled fairly easily. Simply cut Revis, use the money he was getting to sign a top CB FA like T.Johnson or even S.Gilmore and draft a CB. I mean, that's pretty much it. You can cut Skrine as well but you can also put him in the slot, where he was vastly better in 2015. You can let Williams walk too as he has struggled on the outside. With only a few moves the Jets could end up with a young, promising lineup like: T.Johnson, Burris, S.Jones (rookie), Roberts, Marshall (returner), McDougle/Keeton/UDFA. Even if they are not a top notch group, apart from T.Johnson you have a lot less $$$ invested in the secondary and they are all young, promising players.

The defensive line is fine. The Jets have some promising young LBs that could make a jump in 2017. Harris is getting up there in age but still productive. Keep him around, maybe draft someone to eventually take his place. You want a premiere pass rusher? Well, go after one in the draft or sign one. The Jets will have plenty of money if they make a few much needed cuts and don't sign a FA QB to a massive deal.   

The Jets have a lot of offensive weapons. RBs that can catch out of the backfield. A hybrid TE/WR that had a breakout year last season. Young WRs paired with veterans in Decker and Marshall.

They have holes on the O-line but they are really not as bad as many make it seem. The interior is pretty much set. Mangold, Carpenter, Winters. The Jets can resign W.Johnson to add depth. They need a LT b/c they just cut Clady. I'm sure they will address that in FA (maybe Clady will be re-signed). They can put Qvale at RT and/or resign Ijalana. They have options. Probably a good idea to draft an OT to develop as well.

The Jets had a bad year. A lot of things went wrong. A lot of players did not produce like they were expected to. But they are not in an awful situation, and, if anything, this gves them a great opportunity to rid themselves of overpaid, under-performing, aging players.          

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Ha, lol I agree 100% on this. Classic doom and gloom Jet fans. 

I have a glass half-full view. 

To me, Hack has a bright future and I believe the Jets brass actually BELIEVE in him despite what so many Jet fans say. I think there's a reason Macc scouted QBs exhaustively in 2016 and ended up drafting Hack. I don't think you can assume Hack is terrible just b/c he didn't play during the season. It's just silly. So many people (including me) complained that both Geno and Sanchez were set up to fail by being thrown into the fire. Then you have a GM and coach who puts his foot down and says Hack needs to sit for a full season because he is not ready and now he is a bust b/c he did not start some meaningless games towards the end of the season? Fans that cannot see the immense potential in Hack and only see the inconsistency in his accuracy and unrefined footwork clearly have blinders on.

I believe the secondary can be overhauled fairly easily. Simply cut Revis, use the money he was getting to sign a top CB FA like T.Johnson or even S.Gilmore and draft a CB. I mean, that's pretty much it. You can cut Skrine as well but you can also put him in the slot, where he was vastly better in 2015. You can let Williams walk too as he has struggled on the outside. With only a few moves the Jets could end up with a young, promising lineup like: T.Johnson, Burris, S.Jones (rookie), Roberts, Marshall (returner), McDougle/Keeton/UDFA. Even if they are not a top notch group, apart from T.Johnson you have a lot less $$$ invested in the secondary and they are all young, promising players.

The defensive line is fine. The Jets have some promising young LBs that could make a jump in 2017. Harris is getting up there in age but still productive. Keep him around, maybe draft someone to eventually take his place. You want a premiere pass rusher? Well, go after one in the draft or sign one. The Jets will have plenty of money if they make a few much needed cuts and don't sign a FA QB to a massive deal.   

The Jets have a lot of offensive weapons. RBs that can catch out of the backfield. A hybrid TE/WR that had a breakout year last season. Young WRs paired with veterans in Decker and Marshall.

They have holes on the O-line but they are really not as bad as many make it seem. The interior is pretty much set. Mangold, Carpenter, Winters. The Jets can resign W.Johnson to add depth. They need a LT b/c they just cut Clady. I'm sure they will address that in FA (maybe Clady will be re-signed). They can put Qvale at RT and/or resign Ijalana. They have options. Probably a good idea to draft an OT to develop as well.

The Jets had a bad year. A lot of things went wrong. A lot of players did not produce like they were expected to. But they are not in an awful situation, and, if anything, this gves them a great opportunity to rid themselves of overpaid, under-performing, aging players.          

I agree with most of what you said except this.....these guys stink. Shell is the RT.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Shell doesn't stink?  I would say the jury is still out.

FWIW, I know that it is unpopular around here, but IMO Revis is way more likely to be worth his contract than Mangold. 

PFF doesn't think so.

Then again, PFF said that Lee sucked and he got named to the NFL all rookie team

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Shell doesn't stink?  I would say the jury is still out.

FWIW, I know that it is unpopular around here, but IMO Revis is way more likely to be worth his contract than Mangold. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

He could be. Doesn't mean he stinks, which was your implication. I think the needle is trending upwards for him, but it could change.

What the **** did I imply?  I specifically said the jury is still out.  You quoted me.  You put that part in bold.

Archived