JetNation.com Mock Draft v1.0

JetNation

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He'll be so dope after those two redshirt years.

On a serious tip, how is he any different of a prospect than Marcus Mariota? Are they not the same guy, just one is basically more clutch and brings a little more pizzazz?  I know he threw more picks but he also threw the ball more in general but other than that, what is it?  They both completed a high percentage, threw a ton of TD's, won a ton of games, duel threat, good enough but not great arms, tall, athletic, smart, leaders, etc.

Every QB coming out of college is the same now, they're all one read shot gun QB's who take their cues from the sidelines.  The adjustment in the same unless you're coming from 1 of the 3 programs who run a pro style offense.  I know the concern is coming off the first read and going through progressions...but which college QB is different?  And it's not like the NFL is that much different. Brady throws to his first read 90% of the time.

I dont, I guess I'm just confused by how some people are talking like he might go 2nd round.  That just seems crazy to me.  Especially when you consider other prospects who've been taken in the past decade...Bortles, Manziel, Tebow, Manuel, Lynch, Goff, Wentz, RGIII, Tannehill, Weeden, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Sanchez, Freeman, Russell, Quinn.

Would you not prefer Watson to every single ones of those guys? 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

On a serious tip, how is he any different of a prospect than Marcus Mariota? Are they not the same guy, just one is basically more clutch and brings a little more pizzazz?  I know he threw more picks but he also threw the ball more in general but other than that, what is it?  They both completed a high percentage, threw a ton of TD's, won a ton of games, duel threat, good enough but not great arms, tall, athletic, smart, leaders, etc.

Every QB coming out of college is the same now, they're all one read shot gun QB's who take their cues from the sidelines.  The adjustment in the same unless you're coming from 1 of the 3 programs who run a pro style offense.  I know the concern is coming off the first read and going through progressions...but which college QB is different?  And it's not like the NFL is that much different. Brady throws to his first read 90% of the time.

I dont, I guess I'm just confused by how some people are talking like he might go 2nd round.  That just seems crazy to me.  Especially when you consider other prospects who've been taken in the past decade...Bortles, Manziel, Tebow, Manuel, Lynch, Goff, Wentz, RGIII, Tannehill, Weeden, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Sanchez, Freeman, Russell, Quinn.

Would you not prefer Watson to every single ones of those guys? 

Mariota threw the ball a lot better than Watson does, imo. If they want to draft Watson, that's cool, but I wouldn't let Maccagnan draft another QB and I wouldn't trust these Jets to develop him.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mariota threw the ball a lot better than Watson does, imo. If they want to draft Watson, that's cool, but I wouldn't let Maccagnan draft another QB and I wouldn't trust these Jets to develop him.

I honestly cant tell the difference at all.  Almost the same motion, same arm strength...they even hold the ball in the same place.  If anything, I think Watson can throw from more angles.  

If BigMac drafted Watson, I would think he's done drafting QB's because he either found one or is fired after the 2018 season. 

In terms of developing him, the hope is if you're taking a QB that high he doenst require the type of development that the other 2 QB's on the roster do. 

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

I honestly cant tell the difference at all.  Almost the same motion, same arm strength...they even hold the ball in the same place.  If anything, I think Watson can throw from more angles.  

If BigMac drafted Watson, I would think he's done drafting QB's because he either found one or is fired after the 2018 season. 

In terms of developing him, the hope is if you're taking a QB that high he doenst require the type of development that the other 2 QB's on the roster do. 

I mean, in this scenario, can I trade Hack to the Texans for a 4th this year with a conditional pick in 2019 based on Hack's playing time? That'd make me feel a lot better.

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, in this scenario, can I trade Hack to the Texans for a 4th this year with a conditional pick in 2019 based on Hack's playing time? That'd make me feel a lot better.

Ironically, I have heard talk that the Texans may start Tom Savage this year, who has been in development for awhile.  Somewhat justifies the Hack approach...somewhat.

Ultimately the beef with the Hack pick is not that he was picked, but that he was picked in the second round.  By the time he is developed someone else will take him when his contract expires.  I think the Jets should make him sign an extension as a condition to not being cut.

20 minutes ago, varjet said:

Ironically, I have heard talk that the Texans may start Tom Savage this year, who has been in development for awhile.  Somewhat justifies the Hack approach...somewhat.

Ultimately the beef with the Hack pick is not that he was picked, but that he was picked in the second round.  By the time he is developed someone else will take him when his contract expires.  I think the Jets should make him sign an extension as a condition to not being cut.

Yeah, I don't think Savage being the last man standing in Houston in any way validates the Hack pick or points to the efficacy of any alleged plan he was part of. If anything, it just highlights how boneheaded it was to burn a 2 on a guy you can't play for years, and even then only because every other option burned out.

OBrine had a chance to draft hackenbeurg and traded in front of the jets one spot to take a friggin injured center.guard.  I think it is all pure baloney that Obrien ever liked hackenburg other than to say, oh he looked okay 3 years ago.  And on those words and a one day meeting the jets picked this guy that can't hit the hudson.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

OBrine had a chance to draft hackenbeurg and traded in front of the jets one spot to take a friggin injured center.guard.  I think it is all pure baloney that Obrien ever liked hackenburg other than to say, oh he looked okay 3 years ago.  And on those words and a one day meeting the jets picked this guy that can't hit the hudson.

The hell you say

I like this draft.

Even though I see people bugging out over the Hooker pick because he's a safety. But the thing is, he's the best FS prospect since Eric Berry and has Ed Reed like potential. If we could get that kind of special talent on our team, I'll take it with 0 questions asked.

I don't really like the Pocic pick because I don't see him as a Center at the next level. He'll most likely move over to guard.

And although I like Ryan Anderson, I highly doubt he's available that late. He'll probably go in the 3rd

This draft does not look terrible. I don't know why some of the fans on here are freaking out. We don;t know how FA will go. This roster could look a lot different once we approach draft day. Having said that, all we can do is guess. He're a few different scenarios for the top 4 picks. 

Rd. 1: To me, Hooker is a stud prospect, but the injury and 'one year wonder' factor does concern me. Not nec. the fact that he is  a safety though. That is a position that has become more and more critical to the success of a defense in recent years. If there is a legit premier safety talent, and you need one, I have no qualms about taking him top 10. Having said that, the #1 need, to me, will be CB. The #1 talent on the board, to me, is Leonard Fournette.

So, with the 6th pick, the Jets should take L.Fournette. If he is gone, I would not mind at all if they took the top CB. IMO that guy is S.Jones.

Rd. 2: I like Bolles here. He is a legit LT prospect IMO. He probably will not be able to come in and start right way at LT but the Jets desperately need a talented LT prospect they can develop. But if the Jets end up with Fournette in Rd. 1 and do not take a CB, I would probably go after a CB in this round. I know its a deep draft for CBs. But I want a top tier CB talent that has potential to be a #1 and could contribute on some level right away. Q.Wilson, Tankersley, T.White would all be solid options. These guys have that nice combination of size, speed and man-cover skills to play on the outside.

Rd. 3: If the Jets go with a CB in Rd. 2, this is where they need to take that LT prospect to add depth and develop. Garcia, Holden, Davenport are all nice options. Guys with immense potential and legit measurables to play LT.   If the Jets take a CB in Rd. 1 and an OT in rd. 2, this is a good spot for a Pass Rusher. Harris, Walker, Smoot are all edge rushers I like for the Jets system. 

Rd. 4 (assuming comp): If the Jets go Fournette, CB, LT, this is a good spot for an edge rusher. A guy like Carroll Phillips should slide and be there in the 4th. If the Jets go CB, LT, Pass Rusher, this is a good spot for a TE. I want a guy with 3 down TE potential, i.e. a guy that can block with soft hands. Leggett and Sprinkle are the two targets. Leggett will probably be gone, but I like Sprinke a lot anyway. Great size, great hands, solid blocker. He doesn't have the speed and athleticism of a lot of other TE prospects (which is why he will be there in the 4th). But he knows how to get open and he can block. He would pair very nicely with Enunwa. 

I would be fine with the following scenarios. All would be good drafts, IMO, depending on how FA goes.  

Scenario 1:

Rd. 1: S.Jones-CB

Rd. 2: Bolles- OT

Rd. 3: Smoot- Edge Rusher

Rd. 4: J.Sprinkle- TE 

Scenario 2:

Rd. 1: S.Jones- CB

Rd. 2: T.McKinley- Pass Rusher

Rd. 3: A.Garcia- OT

Rd. 4: J.Sprinkle- TE

Scenario 3: 

Rd. 1: L.Fournette- RB