Broncos won't exercise option on LT Russell Okung

AFJF

29 years old and could fill a gaping hole on the O-line.

Price tag will be interesting since he negotiated his last deal w/o use of an agent and took a lot less than he would have gotten otherwise.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, section314 said:

So a team that has a terrible O line, as bad as ours, in fact, is not going to bring back their starting LT? What's wrong with this picture?

He was due $21 million?

35 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

we should have (but won't) learn from the last Broncos LT we acquired...

this is a questionable analogy.  Is Okung being released due to injury, salary, or both (both was the reason for Denver trading Clady)?  To generalize and imply it's the same as the injured Clady just because he comes from the same team is somewhat of a stretch. 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I know he's a free agent, but is there any way we can trade a 4th round pick for him?

Again?

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

4340082.jpg

Yes, this.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Didn't he retire a few years ago because his metatarsals are like dry spaghetti? 

Sigh.

59 minutes ago, Pac said:

I see you and dbuttman are in full off season spazz mode.

Mmmm, hmmm...

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We thrive in chaos situations.

Thriving implies some semblance of creativity, engenuity, or wit... redundancy is the dull hammer of @joewilly12

On February 23, 2017 at 0:28 PM, Beerfish said:

At least there is a bit of a market out there for a position we badly need to address.

Not really.  Albert is signing with the Jags.  I actually hear ignorant reporters cite Clady as being a blue chip FA even though we know he's dine

Okung will hire an agent this time and getpaid

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports there is "no shortage of teams inquiring about" free agent LT Russell Okung.

La Canfora reports the Giants, Jets, Vikings, and Chargers are among the teams who have shown interest. The first three are no-brainers, but the Chargers' interest could indicate they are moving on from King Dunlap, who has struggled to stay on the field the last couple seasons and was recently arrested. With weak classes both in free agency and the draft, Okung should be able to better the essentially one-year, $8-million deal he played on in 2016.

Feb 27 - 10:23 PM

50 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This sounds hyperbolic.

Infinitely hyperbolic. 

But please allow me: signing a youngish, pro bowlish, LT in free agency means we wont be shopping for a LT in the first round of a super weak class & we won't be Brandon Shelling for starters in the later rounds. 

This means we can legit draft a potential #1 positional  player like Mike Williams or Fournette...who with proper protection (read: decent OL play) can excel. In essence, Okung gives us like three draft picks if you think about it.  He opens up our #1's true potential, he spares us from drafting a sh*tty LT in the 2nd/3rd round, and we can use that pick instead to draft a startable Center in those rounds (like Pocic, which gives us yet another #1 positional player). 

Infnity. And Beyond. 

8 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Infinitely hyperbolic. 

But please allow me: signing a youngish, pro bowlish, LT in free agency means we wont be shopping for a LT in the first round of a super weak class & we won't be Brandon Shelling for starters in the later rounds. 

This means we can legit draft a potential #1 positional  player like Mike Williams or Fournette...who with proper protection (read: decent OL play) can excel. In essence, Okung gives us like three draft picks if you think about it.  He opens up our #1's true potential, he spares us from drafting a sh*tty LT in the 2nd/3rd round, and we can use that pick instead to draft a startable Center in those rounds (like Pocic, which gives us yet another #1 positional player). 

Infnity. And Beyond. 

I think the ONLY position that the Jets should be willing to overpay on effectively a 3rd contract is an LT who can help the QBs/offense develop.

Finding a successor will be a priority, which means that the Jets may have to reach in the draft, which leads to bad decisions.  That is why we are who we are.  

I think you can say the same thing about QB.   If they signed someone they knew was decent, like a Taylor or Glennon, that means that they are not reaching at pick 6.   The QBs this year logically fall more into the mid/late 1st round types, but if the Jets are completely devoid of a QB, they will need to reach for one at 6.

The other position to pay up for this FA is CB.  There is an easy way to look at this-they picked Milliner very high a few years back and next year he would have been a FA.  If he was good as he was supposed to be, people would be yelling at the Jets to resign him early for a big contract, like the Steelers did with DeMarco.   The Rams and Bills were not able to sign their CBs long-term.  So the Jets should step in and pay the money for a long-term good corner like many good teams do-they just will sign someone elses.

The Jets should not make the same mistake with Enunwa.

So cut ineffective veterans, sign a CB, QB and LT, and then draft best players.  Seems like a plan to me.

Archived