Broncos won't exercise option on LT Russell Okung

AFJF

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hindsight games? When it became public, in March, how much Okung cost, that is the "we should have signed him" hindsight I posted, not only just now.

The time to sign Okung was last year at $5-8m with $0 guaranteed, as a stop gap measure heading into the draft so we'd have full freedom to go get the best LT we could, should that opportunity present itself (and it did), but without forcing our own hands. Signing him is totally different now, at some $12-14m/year on a big, long contract, he's seeking with lots of guaranteed money. He commits too many penalties, isn't close to dominant, and isn't historically reliable enough health-wise himself either, to give him that level contract. BTW he also turns 30 early in the 2017 season. 

It's not the same thing a year later when his cost is close to double, just like with Winters. 

At 4 years $48m, with more of a contender-level team, and after playing & practicing with him all offseason and all season, Denver decided he wasn't worth it. Judging by history, if Maccagnan signs this veteran it will likely end up being a mistake in his 2nd season here at the latest.

The lesson he was supposed to have learned from 2015-2016 is to do longer, more expensive contracts for younger players, not historically injury-prone ones who won't play even half of one season while still in his 20s. 

Sooo, we shouldn't sign Okung?

On 2/28/2017 at 9:40 AM, thadude said:

Romo wants to get paid.  Next year is his last NFL season no more pay checks for the rest of his life after that Woody will open up the trust fund

I disagree.

Romo has made a massive amount of money, he's still playing because he really wants a ring.

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

I disagree.

Romo has made a massive amount of money, he's still playing because he really wants a ring.

Well that and $20 mil

Those all-inclusive villas in Bora Bora with Jessica Simpson aren't cheap Bora

Archived