Nick Folk & Breno G Released: MERGED

shevys

19 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Giacomini was an easy one but Folk has been a reliable K for a long time for us.  

18 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I dont think he was good last year. At least compared to prior years

Fitz burned Folk out with all those unfinished drives. His kicking leg is about 70 years old in K years.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Here is the bottom line.

If you think last year's team underachieved then Macc did a good job getting the talent and the coaches let him down

If you think they overachieved (yet still sucked), then you think Bowles did a good job and the talent wasn't there.

kind of iike means you can't have it both ways.  imo, this team had some issues and they went beyond the x's and o's, coaches and physical talent.

38 minutes ago, flgreen said:

A successful team makes BIG moves in FA when they are 11-5, and need a vet player or two to get over the hump to be a true competitor.  When a team is 5-11 you build with young players.  Bringing high priced , over the hill FA's in is a formula to rise to a 7-9 8-8 team.  Maybe keep the HC and GM employed for another year or two, but your not winning anything

i don't agree with that big name free agent to get a team over the top.  there's just too much team work involved.  it's not like baseball where everyone essentially plays for themselves. i don't think revis was the reason the patsies went to the superbowl and won. and i remember when parcells picked up some free agents in 99 for the push.  vinnie went down and it didn't work but the guys he picked up were also worthless.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

A successful team makes BIG moves in FA when they are 11-5, and need a vet player or two to get over the hump to be a true competitor.  When a team is 5-11 you build with young players.  Bringing high priced , over the hill FA's in is a formula to rise to a 7-9 8-8 team.  Maybe keep the HC and GM employed for another year or two, but your not winning anything

That would be a really fair point if we were talking over the hill free agents. The cornerbacks I'm talking about (Bouye, Gilmore, Ryan) and other players like Minton are all around 26 years old. I am not saying let's go patch the OL by spending huge on Andrew Whitworth or other people like that.

Why not spend a little in free agency on these young guys to expedite the rebuilding process? 

3 hours ago, SOJ said:

His kicking percentage was 87% that is dam good...  he blew the Cinny game and that was it.

Percentage is all well and good, but:

1.  He has a decently high salary.

2.  "He blew a game" isn't something you should seriously scoff at.  Especially when, at the time, it was a team that we thought that we could be fighting for a playoff spot with at the end of the year.  If your kickers are blowing games and cost you as much as Folk cost us, its time to cut them.

30 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Now that the season is over, is there a team worse off than the Jets?  That should tell you all you need to know about Macc.

The Browns, the Jags, the 49ers, the Rams, the Chargers.  The Bills are up there.  I don't honestly think the Titans are the 9-7 team they were this year + the Mariota injury is gonna hurt them so they may take a step back.

By the time we cut Revis and restructure some contracts, it's already been said that we can have 30 million in cap space.  Grab a corner or 2 via FA/draft, same for FS.  We have plenty of young talent at WR.  RB isn't a huge hole if we go the platoon route.  DL is our strongest point.  OLBs could be better, but the two young kids we got are not horrendous. Particularly Jenkins.  I think Mauldin could have a rebound year under Kevin Greene.  MLB is okay.  Harris is Harris (although, he's getting up there) and hopefully Lee takes a big leap.  OL needs a couple of pieces, but has some promising talent (Shell/Winters).  

Obviously the QB is the biggest question mark.  Until we make a move for a vet (we will, whether it's Glennon, McCown, Taylor, Cutler, etc.) it's hard to say what type of team we'll be.  I'd honestly prefer to just roll with what we got and grab some old guy like McCown as a "oh were not trying to tank *wink, wink*" type of guy...but I don't think that's gonna happen.  One of Hack/Petty working out would be ideal compared to getting some middle of the road stop-gap like Taylor or Glennon.  

Point is, there is talent on this team. 

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

Maybe.

Giants went from years of missing the playoffs to 11 wins and a playoff spot.  

Theyre not complaining any more than their fans are 

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

The Browns, the Jags, the 49ers, the Rams, the Chargers.  The Bills are up there.  I don't honestly think the Titans are the 9-7 team they were this year + the Mariota injury is gonna hurt them so they may take a step back.

Really?

The Browns are in the same place we are, including the #1 pick and another 1st.  They're also younger than we are.

The Chargers still have Philip Rivers, and the idea that you'd take our QB situation over Mariota is laughable.  The bills have more talent than us, but they may lose their QB, so we'll see.

I think there's an argument for the 49ers and the Jags, but both teams go into this offseason with higher picks, so I'm not sure it's clear cut.  There might be an argument for the Rams too, but that assumes that Goff is a bust already, and from the franchise who is literally explaining that our 2nd round QB who sucked in college and in training camp and in preseason and couldn't get into a game in a lost season with the starter being awful, the backup getting hurt, and the third string getting hurt and being awful, and this is still okay, it's a bit soon to sell on Goff.

12 hours ago, gEYno said:

Now that the season is over, is there a team worse off than the Jets?  That should tell you all you need to know about Macc.

The 49'ers are god awful.  They're worse than the Jets and they just signed a CB from NJ who chose them over the Jets.  bwhahahahahaha

The Browns and the Jags are bad but they've both got a lot of young talent on the team, with money and high draft picks...I feel like they're better positioned than the Jets to improve.  

The Jets just suck with really no sign for hope.  We have like 1 player to be excited about.  They're stuck in no mans land with the 6th pick.  No QB.  A bunch of old a$$hole vets who dont give a sh*t about playing Football.  And a complete moron at Head Coach.  A boob at GM.  It's doom and gloom, for sure.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

The 49'ers are god awful.  They're worse than the Jets and they just signed a CB from NJ who chose them over the Jets.  bwhahahahahaha

The Browns and the Jags are bad but they've both got a lot of young talent on the team, with money and high draft picks...I feel like they're better positioned than the Jets to improve.  

The Jets just suck with really no sign for hope.  We have like 1 player to be excited about.  They're stuck in no mans land with the 6th pick.  No QB.  A bunch of old a$$hole vets who dont give a sh*t about playing Football.  And a complete moron at Head Coach.  A boob at GM.  It's doom and gloom, for sure.

1. Dude, this isn't college football. Not signing in state players means nothing. Honestly if you had to choose between Florham Park and San Fran, I would choose San Fran

2. I'm sure Leonard Williams, Jordan Jenkins, Robby Anderson, Jalin Marshall, Brandon Shell, Quincy Enunwa, Charone Peake disagree about not having young talent.

3. We had 12 picks 3 years ago. How'd that go? I actually the Jags are in a worse position. Jets know they need a QB. Jags aren't sure. 

11 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. Dude, this isn't college football. Not signing in state players means nothing. Honestly if you had to choose between Florham Park and San Fran, I would choose San Fran

2. I'm sure Leonard Williams, Jordan Jenkins, Robby Anderson, Jalin Marshall, Brandon Shell, Quincy Enunwa, Charone Peake disagree about not having young talent.

3. We had 12 picks 3 years ago. How'd that go? I actually the Jags are in a worse position. Jets know they need a QB. Jags aren't sure. 

1. A player choosing to play for San Fran over the Jets, is embarrassing. WTF does that have to do with college Football?  He's from the area and chose to sign with the worst team in the league on the other side of the country.

2. Leo.  The rest are jags.  

3. Another meaningless point.  The Jags are loaded with actual young talent, not a group of jags like the Jets.  They're D is on the uptick.  They're going through a coaching change, they have Bortles and a solid veteran backing him up.  They're in an infinitely better place than the Jets because they have 68 million in cap space, a higher draft pick and Tom Coughlin pulling the strings.

39 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Really?

The Browns are in the same place we are, including the #1 pick and another 1st.  They're also younger than we are.

The Chargers still have Philip Rivers, and the idea that you'd take our QB situation over Mariota is laughable.  The bills have more talent than us, but they may lose their QB, so we'll see.

I think there's an argument for the 49ers and the Jags, but both teams go into this offseason with higher picks, so I'm not sure it's clear cut.  There might be an argument for the Rams too, but that assumes that Goff is a bust already, and from the franchise who is literally explaining that our 2nd round QB who sucked in college and in training camp and in preseason and couldn't get into a game in a lost season with the starter being awful, the backup getting hurt, and the third string getting hurt and being awful, and this is still okay, it's a bit soon to sell on Goff.

Not that any of this is wrong, because none of it is, but you're also forgetting that all those teams have the space to improve in the way that Maccagnan had when he first got here. The Browns alone have over $100m in cap room. 49ers and Jags about $75m. The Rams nearly $40m. What's more, this is before any of them make their own "no brainer" cuts to gather even more still.

After our first two cuts and one non-renewed team option - at least two of which (Folk/Clady) open up a new holes on the team - we have about $7m. But don't worry. After cutting 5 more starters to create another 5 more starter holes, we'll have as much to spend as the Rams do today.

So every quick fix for the Jets can also be performed by each of these teams, and they'll then still have another $30-50m to spend on top of that.

I'm good with the moves they have made so far.  Not sure I would have cut Folk as yet.  Like to have waited to see if they have any kind of a young kicker to replace him, but no big deal.

Just wish they would cut Revis and move on.  This proposed switch to S is going to be a failure, pay cut or not.  Revis was a great player.  He isn't anymore, and S is a very wrong spot for him.  Perhaps they are waiting to see how the arrest plays out to see if they can get out of the 6 guaranteed 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Not that any of this is wrong, because none of it is, but you're also forgetting that all those teams have the space to improve in the way that Maccagnan had when he first got here. The Browns alone have over $100m in cap room. 49ers and Jags about $75m. The Rams nearly $40m. What's more, this is before any of them make their own "no brainer" cuts to gather even more still.

After our first two cuts and one non-renewed team option - at least two of which (Folk/Clady) open up a new holes on the team - we have about $7m. But don't worry. After cutting 5 more starters to create another 5 more starter holes, we'll have as much to spend as the Rams do today.

With a little luck, we'll use that space to sign the next Marcus Gilchrist. Maybe even the next Buster Skrine!

Just now, JiF said:

1. A player choosing to play for San Fran over the Jets, is embarrassing. WTF does that have to do with college Football?  He's from the area and chose to sign with the worst team in the league on the other side of the country.

2. Leo.  The rest are jags.  

3. Another meaningless point.  The Jags are loaded with actual young talent, not a group of jags like the Jets.  They're D is on the uptick.  They're going through a coaching change, they have Bortles and a solid veteran backing him up.  They're in an infinitely better place than the Jets because they have 68 million in cap space, a higher draft pick and Tom Coughlin pulling the strings.

1. Because it matters more in college football. Getting players from the area to play for the team matters a ton more in college football than in pro football. When Schnellenberger built up the U, he did it with players from the Miami area. You don't think the MIami Dolphins care if a player from Miami plays for another team, do you? Stop it.

2. Oh after one season you can tell that the other are jags? I think there is potential for some good players there. The needle is trending upwards for those players.

3. Well given the Jaguars record this year, I would have thought that they would be Jags too. I will give you Coughlin, although the Phil Jackson comparison comes up again.

So essentially we are in the same place we were two years ago except we have better young talent than two years ago. Ok, I'll take that.

33 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Really?

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agree with you both that the Jets are in a very unenviable position, and may be in worse long term shape than some of the teams that are currently at a lower-level right now.  With that said, higher draft picks are never a realistic measure of future success, especially when its those teams who constantly have high picks.  It's one thing when it's an occasional occurrence that gives a team the opportunity to take a top player after one outlier of a down year (or a trade up).  However, it starts to mean very little, in terms of being a positive, when it's a team who constantly has high picks and yet still keeps sucking.  That of course applies to the Jets as well, but the point is if the Jets had done even worse, to ultimately end up with a higher pick, we wouldn't be using that around here to suggest that the Jets were actually better than the other bad teams who had done (relatively) better the prior year.

No, but it would be a waste of time explaining it to you.

I'm completely open to someone changing my mind. The problem has been that nobody has come up with a point that is indisputable.

Although I am willing to add signing Skrine to the two mistakes that I think Maccagnan has made (signing Jenkins and drafting Hackenberg in the second round)

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I'm good with the moves they have made so far.  Not sure I would have cut Folk as yet.  Lie to have waited to see if they have any kind of a young kicker to replace him, but no big deal.

I am going to try and be positive.  The Folk move shows to me that the Jets are trying to build for the future.  If I was trying to win games in 2017 and spend the money to do it, I would kept Folk, because he is a decent kicker, but expensive.

Like last year with the Punter, the Jets will draft a late round kicker this year.  He will still be cheap.

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Agree with you both that the Jets are in a very unenviable position, and may be in worse long term shape than some of the teams that are currently at a lower-level right now.  With that said, higher draft picks are never a realistic measure of future success, especially when its those teams who constantly have high picks.  It's one thing when it's an occasional occurrence that gives a team the opportunity to take a top player after one outlier of a down year (or a trade up).  However, it starts to mean very little, in terms of being a positive, when it's a team who constantly has high picks and yet still keeps sucking.  That of course applies to the Jets as well, but the point is if the Jets had done even worse, to ultimately end up with a higher pick, we wouldn't be using that around here to suggest that the Jets were actually better than the other bad teams who had done (relatively) better the prior year.

The Jets do not have as much cap space as some of the lousy teams, but they also won more games than the lousy teams.  If I am Macc I am freeing up cap space from Revis, Gilcrist and one or both of the WRs and picking at least one CB to sign to a 5 year contract, 2 years guaranteed.  If Lattimore is there you can draft him too, unless you think Burris/Roberts is your no 2 corner, in which case you draft one of the safeties.

I watched the film on Jamal Adams yesterday.  He is going to be a super, duper player.

11 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. Because it matters more in college football. Getting players from the area to play for the team matters a ton more in college football than in pro football. When Schnellenberger built up the U, he did it with players from the Miami area. You don't think the MIami Dolphins care if a player from Miami plays for another team, do you? Stop it.

2. Oh after one season you can tell that the other are jags? I think there is potential for some good players there. The needle is trending upwards for those players.

3. Well given the Jaguars record this year, I would have thought that they would be Jags too. I will give you Coughlin, although the Phil Jackson comparison comes up again.

1.  No it, doesnt.  You just gave me an example from 40 years ago.  The Florida Gatos started a QB from Cali and Ohio this season.

2.  Yes.  It's not rocket science.  The needling trending up isnt hard when you're a nobody. 

3.  I dont need you to give me anything.  Their roster is loaded with actual young talent, they have the 4th overall pick and 68 million dollars in cap space.  They also play in the worst division in Football. 

Archived