Nick Folk & Breno G Released: MERGED

shevys

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

This has been a great start to the off-season. I expect a lot more dead weight to be shed and the Jets to be very active in FA.

The first part is debatable.  The Jets haven't done anything "great."

"Dumping more dead weight?"  Absofrigginlutely!!!

"Active in fraud agency?"  Hopefully not.  Some inexpensive, versatile O-Linemen, inexpensive youth on defense and special teams.  NO OVERPAID BIG NAMES!!!

Just now, RoadFan said:

The first part is debatable.  The Jets haven't done anything "great."

"Dumping more dead weight?"  Absofrigginlutely!!!

"Active in fraud agency?"  Hopefully not.

Locked in a young, rising guard and cut 17.5 mil in dead weight so far. Pretty nice start IMO, although they may have been no-brainers.

Rarely does a team ever become great exclusively through the draft. It's vital to make moves in FA and trades in the off-season. The Jets need a cornerback - go sign one of the many young studs available.

folk.png

The NY Jets have announced that they have released kicker Nick Folk and RT Breno Giacomini. Chris Lopresti is reporting that these moves free up 7.5 million against the salary cap.

Nick Folk, who is 32, is entering his 11th year in the league. He spent the last 7 years with the Jets.

The Jets have released K Nick Folk, who ranks No. 2 on the franchise’s all-time points list with 729.

“It’s a sad day, but that’s the business side of things,” Folk said as he finished cleaning out his locker at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center this afternoon. “I had a great seven years here. I think the only thing that would’ve topped it off would’e been a couple of Super Bowl wins.

“There’s been a great group of guys in this locker room from 2010 till now. I can’t thank Mike Tannenbaum, Rex [Ryan], John Idzik, Todd [Bowles] and Mike Maccagnan enough for keeping me around for seven years. This was our second home. It’s been a lot of fun and my wife and I have enjoyed every minute of it.”

Giacomini made 32 starts for the Jets his first two years with the team. He was hurt most of last year and only played in 5 games due to his back injury.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
od1pyya8q7Y

Click here to read the full story...

I'm going to just put this out there because someone has to in the wake of Folk getting the boot (pun)... Not advocating this so don't hit me!

3 college kickers are generally thought to be draft worthy this year... Zane has been mocked as high as the 4th round.

Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State

Jake Elliott, K, Memphis 

Andy Phillips, K, Utah 

15 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Mind boggling that they have to clear cap room considering how much Macc inherited from Idzik. The free agency portion of his job has been a massive failure on every level. 

Given the fact that NFL teams are forced to spend, it really isn't mind boggling. The Giants are going to feel this crunch as well

If cuts go well, Jets will have about 40m in cap space.

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

When Marshall, Revis and Decker are gone, then we can tap the keg.

I'd like to keep marshall but if he goes i can understand,.  Getting rid of both him and decker is going back about 3 years when we had no weapons and no after 1 year all the younger guys have not taken the place of these vets.

I would have liked to see REvis be the 1st one cut off this team.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I'd like to keep marshall but if he goes i can understand,.  Getting rid of both him and decker is going back about 3 years when we had no weapons and no after 1 year all the younger guys have not taken the place of these vets.

I would have liked to see REvis be the 1st one cut off this team.

"With the 6th pick in the 2017 NFL draft, the New York Jets select Mike Williams Wr, Clemson."  :D

These were both good citizens.

Breno was kept a year too long.  He was kept because the thought for 2016 was that the Jets would be competitive, and they wanted to keep around a T who could play.  Problem with that approach was that the Jets were competitive in 2016, and Breno really could never play.  He will likely not be able to play in 2017 either.  I think his retirement is coming.  His salary cap space for 2016 was wasted and could have been used this year or last year to lock up the future.

Folk was a capable kicker-likely more capable than anyone they could sign, but a potential draft pick would be interesting.  Cutting him is another sign that perhaps a true rebulid is on the way.  Thus far, and it is very early, but we have not seen any short-term win now moves (like keeping Clady).

Archived