Boxing

Integrity28

So, I was starting to become a fat, old Ape. I can't control the old part, but I can control the fat part. I've decided to add boxing into the myriad things I'm doing when I workout/train - which includes running, p90x and weight training.

hqdefault.jpg

I'd never hit a heavy bag before - except when dicking around at friends houses who had them. I bought a bag, and I'm looking for a proper gym to learn technique at. Shouldn't be tough to find a good spot, given the part of the country I live in. 

Right now, I've been following bag workouts I've found online. Pretty solid. I know how to throw a punch, and the bag came with crappy gloves, and I've got new ones being delivered tomorrow.

It has instantly become my favorite way to workout. So, the reason I'm starting the thread is to display some humility and solicit any advice from folks here who might have insights to offer.

If you're just using it for exercise, there is not much advice needed. Make sure you're wrapping your hands correctly and take care of your elbows if you ever feel pain in your tendons with ice and rest. Keep your hands up, stay on the balls of your feet, step when you jab, move with and off every punch, practice moving laterally and don't ever cross your feet, punch with your butt and hips, and learn how to slip and roll. If burning calories is your only goal then I'm sure the videos are helping just fine.

Aside from that, the best thing you can do is to go to a real boxing gym and do a few rounds of focus mitts with a trainer. Not a regular gym, not a kickboxing fitness gym; an actual boxing gym where fighters train. Even if you only do it once, they will be able to correct a ton of stuff based on that and give you some things to work on. The key to learning how to box well is remembering that every single movement in the sport is counter-intuitive, from the way you stand to the way you step. And the sport is specific to each individual in that everyone does things wrong differently, and it takes someone watching you for a little bit, if only a few minutes, to really correct anything.

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If you're just using it for exercise, there is not much advice needed. Make sure you're wrapping your hands correctly and take care of your elbows if you ever feel pain in your tendons with ice and rest. Keep your hands up, stay on the balls of your feet, step when you jab, move with and off every punch, practice moving laterally and don't ever cross your feet, punch with your butt and hips, and learn how to slip and roll. If burning calories is your only goal then I'm sure the videos are helping just fine.

Aside from that, the best thing you can do is to go to a real boxing gym and do a few rounds of focus mitts with a trainer. Not a regular gym, not a kickboxing fitness gym; an actual boxing gym where fighters train. Even if you only do it once, they will be able to correct a ton of stuff based on that and give you some things to work on. The key to learning how to box well is remembering that every single movement in the sport is counter-intuitive, from the way you stand to the way you step. And the sport is specific to each individual in that everyone does things wrong differently, and it takes someone watching you for a little bit, if only a few minutes, to really correct anything.

What about the " eye of the tiger"? Without that you got nothing. 

On 2/25/2017 at 0:42 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

This pretty much sums up how it's going for me - I found a local place I'll be going as soon as my schedule frees up, for some coaching. In the meantime, I'm pretty much doing what you said.

Archived