Nick Folk "Hero" appreciation thread

RoadFan

I believe he deserves one.  Every time he lined up... I felt confident it was going through.  He was money the vast majority of the time.  He hit plenty of clutch kicks from distance too.  Sorry to see him go.  But a costly, quality kicker doesn't make much sense on a lousy team in year one of a long rebuild.  The Jets need to lose some of those close ones.  Folk would probably win them...

I think any offensively challenged team needs a consistent PK. So money spent on a good one is money well spent. Not that Folk was your perfect place kicker he sometimes would kick a 50 yard plus FG and then miss a 35 yarder. And he didn't always have great distance on kickoffs. So maybe we can find a good, young kicker. Some of these guys have amazing legs and can kick a 60 yard plus attempt. But it won't be easy to find someone better than Folk. 

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He was a good kicker but nothing special. We could easily find someone just as good, if not better. Then again we could do worse. 

With limited cap space and roster full of holes, this was a no brainer.

Good luck finding a kicker with stones as big as Folk's.  The guy was impervious to pressure.  If he missed, it was because of mechanics or something; never because of pressure.  

He was OK, got us into the POs vs the Colts, but he would do weird stuff, like shank wide right from the 20.  Folk yeah, now it's Folk no. He'll find work.

Kickers, I think my best documented epic prediction in Jets history ever was Nate Kaeding missing three times. And I was right. I was so happy and ramped up after that PO win vs the Charges, I hyperventilated and almost vomited. Say what you will about The Chimp, but it was great, great fun. 

I wonder if John Hall still smokes weed. I'd still take him. 

What can you say? Competent kicker who got the job done. His cap number worked against him. Perhaps he resigns at a more cap friendly number? I'm sorry to see him go but numbers are numbers. A team with this many holes has to make hard choices. Hopefully this is a sign that the Jets are ready to make those hard cuts.

12 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

Best Jets kicker since Leahy.  Will be missed. 

Leahy used to miss PATs every season.  I know K's were judged differently back then as they weren't as good but Leahy was never a great K.

we have been lucky w/ K's for about a decade.  Feely was really good in his brief time here and Folk was really good after a shaky first season w/ us.

7 hours ago, jetophile said:

He was OK, got us into the POs vs the Colts, but he would do weird stuff, like shank wide right from the 20.  Folk yeah, now it's Folk no. He'll find work.

Kickers, I think my best documented epic prediction in Jets history ever was Nate Kaeding missing three times. And I was right. I was so happy and ramped up after that PO win vs the Charges, I hyperventilated and almost vomited. Say what you will about The Chimp, but it was great, great fun. 

I wonder if John Hall still smokes weed. I'd still take him. 

he didn't get us into the playoffs vs. the Colts, his kick won the game on the road in the playoffs against the Colts.

below are all of his misses for us:

2010:

at Miami: 61 yd attempt blocked.  we won game 31-23

at Buffalo: 30 yd FG, we won 38-14

vs. GB: 37 yd FG, we lost 9-0

at Cle(his worst game): 48, 24, 47(ot). we won 26-20 in OT in a game that never should have reached OT if not for Folk and D.

vs. Hou: 53, we won 30-27

vs. Cin: 44, we won 26-10

at NE: 53, we lost 45-3

at NE(playoffs): this gets forgotten b/c of the big win but he did miss a chip shot(30 yds) after the Harris INT.  we won 28-21.

Like I mentioned earlier, he was shaky his first season BUT he didn't cost us any games.

2011:

at Buf: 50, we won 27-11

vs. NE: 24 on opening drive, a big miss but we lost 37-16

at den: 52, 61. lost 17-13. hard to blame him for missing those long kicks.

at Was: 40, we won 34-19

vs. NYG: 44, this was HUGE.  this was right after the devastating 99 yd TD.  quick pts would have had us feeling better going to LR and tied the game. we lost 29-14 but this was a critical moment in this game.

I would say he lost us any games but that NYG missed kick was big.

2012:

vs. Mia: 35, we lost 30-9

at SL: blocked 26 yd attempt, missed from 44. we won 27-13

vs. AZ:(maybe worst game I have ever witnessed in person). 46 and 52, we won 7-6

at Buf: 30, we lost 28-0

again, never cost us a game

2013:

at Buf: 48, we lost 37-14

vs. Cle: 49, we won 24-13

at Mia: 35, we won 20-7

didn't cost us a game

2014:

at NE: 58 yd potential game winner was blocked at the gun. we lost 27-25

vs. Pitt: 45, we won 20-13

vs. Mia: 48, 45.  we lost by 3.  he cost us.

at Ten: 53, we won 16-11

vs. NE: again had late long FG blocked for a chance at win, this one 52 yds but even if he made it Brady would have had 5 mins to win it.

at Mia: 45, we won 37-24

I would say he cost us the Mia game

2015:

he got hurt and missed most of season

at Ind: 48, we won 20-7

"at" Mia:(London): 40, we won 27-14

vs. Was: 49, we won 34-20

2016:

missed his first ever PATs.

vs. Cin: missed PAT, missed FG of only 22 BUT both happened early, we had chances to win.  he hurt us but I wouldn't blame him for loss. we lost 23-22

vs. Bal: 51 yd FG blocked, we won 24-16

vs. LA: missed PAT, we lost 9-6

vs NE: 54 yarder blocked, we lost 22-17

at NE: 34, we lost 41-3.

you can make an argument he lost the Cincy game.

maybe in all his years here he cost us 2 games.  that's pretty good and our record in games where he had misses was 19-15

23 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Vinatierri literally wins multiple clutch playoff/SB games. Leaves Pats, "we'll find another kicker".

Folk leaves Jets, "PLEASE DON'T GOOOOOOOO!!!! NOOOOOO!!! WFT IZ WRONG WITH GMCOACHWOODY!!!!"

New England has the greatest QB of all time, I am sure if we had a Brady we wouldn't worry about any moves being made.

Just now, nyjunc said:

if we had a Brady we;d be winning and the fans wouldn't be as bad as they are.

We don't have a Brady. If you want to argue, argue about things that are. Intelligent folks know better than to quibble over the unprovable hypotheticals that you declare as fact.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Vinatierri literally wins multiple clutch playoff/SB games. Leaves Pats, "we'll find another kicker".

Folk leaves Jets, "PLEASE DON'T GOOOOOOOO!!!! NOOOOOO!!! WFT IZ WRONG WITH GMCOACHWOODY!!!!"

LOL, so true.  But price tag is always the issue.  Same with AV and Folk.

That said, Folk was a good kicker for Jets.  Six years!  That's a long time, but it is an easily replaced position.

On a team full of overpriced, under-performing talent, Folk's small cap hit is now where I would be saving pennies.

I get the business side, and can hope he resigns for less (why would he, someone else will pay him I think).

I liked Folk, and am disappointed and sad to see him go, especially knowing how much we'll need him in 2017 with this cast of QB's.

The more moves Macc makes, the less I find myself supporting Macc's vision as a GM.  This isn't a killer by any stretch, but yeah, is what it is.

27 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We don't have a Brady. If you want to argue, argue about things that are. Intelligent folks know better than to quibble over the unprovable hypotheticals that you declare as fact.

sorry logic eludes you. you made the asinine comment comparing us to NE, I simply tore it apart like I generally do w/ your weak posts.

22 minutes ago, Dcat said:

there you go again.  It seems that your motive in every thread is simply to bash Jets fans.  Your posts suck UNC.

I try to deal in reality not lala land. our fans wouldn't be the whiners we are if we had a Tom Brady and were winning big.

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

On a team full of overpriced, under-performing talent, Folk's small cap hit is now where I would be saving pennies.

I get the business side, and can hope he resigns for less (why would he, someone else will pay him I think).

I liked Folk, and am disappointed and sad to see him go, especially knowing how much we'll need him in 2017 with this cast of QB's.

The more moves Macc makes, the less I find myself supporting Macc's vision as a GM.  This isn't a killer by any stretch, but yeah, is what it is.

I like Folk as well, but I'm not sure this team is in any position to be paying a kicker top 5 money at his position.  

Archived