Jets get 3rd round Comp pick

Dcat

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I guess that's one thing to give Maccagnan a little credit for.  He said last year they were set to get a 3rd rounder for Harrison, but got roundly blasted by many who had (what seemed to be legitimate) reason to believe that he had blown it with the Jenkins signing.  Apparently he turned out to be right.  I'm curious if this falls into one of the categories of the great unknown of NFL's comp pick system that they always keep a secret, or if perhaps the midseason cut of Jenkins was planned all along and ultimately saved them the pick.  If there's any additional clarification on that, I would certainly be interested to hear that.

Now with this extra pick:

- Trade down or out of first. Draft best available Edge and Corner late 1st and 2nd or both 2nds (if we trade out of 1st). Use both 3rd rounders on best RB and TE available.

Or

- Draft Hooker 1st, best available Edge 2nd, best available CB and RB for both 3rd round picks.

This draft is so deep at corner and running back, we could find starters in the 3rd for sure.

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Now with this extra pick:

- Trade down or out of first. Draft best available Edge and Corner late 1st and 2nd or both 2nds (if we trade out of 1st). Use both 3rd rounders on best RB and TE available.

Or

- Draft Hooker 1st, best available Edge 2nd, best available CB and RB for both 3rd round picks.

This draft is so deep at corner and running back, we could find starters in the 3rd for sure.

We better find starters in the 3rd round

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is the pick we thought would be the 4th round compensation? Pretty good I'd say. Trade our 4th rounder and wind up with a late 3rd 2017 pick and Shell...

Yeah, this is pretty big actually.

The pick we ended up trading for Shell is (I believe) the 84th overall pick- our fourth rounder this year, which is valuable pick.

getting this even earlier pick is great - plus if she'll really does develop into a starting RT then what a great value pick he was.

inlike this bc now there's not a big dead zone during draft weekend

26 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Well I guess that's one thing to give Maccagnan a little credit for.  He said last year they were set to get a 3rd rounder for Harrison, but got roundly blasted by many who had (what seemed to be legitimate) reason to believe that he had blown it with the Jenkins signing.  Apparently he turned out to be right.  I'm curious if this falls into one of the categories of the great unknown of NFL's comp pick system that they always keep a secret, or if perhaps the midseason cut of Jenkins was planned all along and ultimately saved them the pick.  If there's any additional clarification on that, I would certainly be interested to hear that.

He released Jenkins a day before the deadline so he no longer counted as a "qualified" UFA acquisition.  Had he not released Jenkins by the deadline, we would have zero comp picks intead of the one.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Weird. The JN collective GMs said there was no way.  Very weird.

untrue.  Those of us who follow Jason's OTC knew that if he released one of the acquisitions by the deadline, then our  "qualified" UFA losses would no longer be offset by an equal number of "qualified" UFA acquisitions.  

Mac knew what he was doing with this one.  Plenty of other reasons to bash Mac, but not this one and all this was posted here months ago.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

untrue.  THose of us who follow Jason't OTC knew that if he released one of the acquisitions by the deadline, then our  "qualified" UFA losses would no longer be offset by an equal number of "qualified" UFA acquisitions.  

Mac knew what he was doing with this one.  Plenty of other reasons to bash Mac, but not this one and all this was posted here months ago.

You're not part of that crew Big Cat.  Don't worry, lol.  You and I tend to agree on a lot.

Agree fully on the second part.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Wow this came out early, these usually do not come out until the league meetings in march

Good thing too.  Gives the team's more time to set up their strategies and study a wider variety of possibilities at the Combine.  

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Wow this came out early, these usually do not come out until the league meetings in march

I am amazed at how many 3rd rounders there are this year: 11

Far more 3rds/4ths and fewer 6ths/7ths than usual.  

Look, I wouldn't be a bonafide Jets fan if I didn't have something to complain about: Why are we getting the 11th of 11 3rd rounders?  Why not higher up in that group of 11? Was it Snack's salary?

Just now, Mogglez said:

Good thing too.  Gives the team's more time to set up their strategies and study a wider variety of possibilities at the Combine.  

Yes, and letting teams trade these as well is very good, leads to more movement up and down.  The NFL did something right?  wtf?

Just now, Dcat said:

I am amazed at how many 3rd rounders there are this year: 11

Far more 3rds/4ths and fewer 6ths/7ths than usual.  

Look, I wouldn't be a bonafide Jets fan if I didn't have something to complain about: Why are we getting the 11th of 11 3rd rounders?  Why not higher up in that group of 11? Was it Snack's salary?

While I am very pleased with the fact we winded up with a 3rd.. I was also kinda thinking that in my head lol. Why 11th out of 11? Our luck shines in even the smallest of situations.

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

The Jets should trade them both. They will not be here to win a SB. Get the draft picks. BM is paid less than Decker

BM also has no guaranteed money though. It makes him the easy pick out of the two. And while I agree on looking towards the future and getting picks..we still need a proven guy out there catching balls.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

BM also has no guaranteed money though. It makes him the easy pick out of the two. And while I agree on looking towards the future and getting picks..we still need a proven guy out there catching balls.

Right.  We may not be a contender now, but we'll never develop a good young QB without a solid team around him.

I say keep both, but if only one, I'd choose BM.  Looks like cutting Decker would save us 6mil against the cap, and BM would save 7.5.

Marshall is more than 1.5mil better than Decker.  Besides, Decker is one fragile SOB.  Always out with injuries.

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He released Jenkins a day before the deadline so he no longer counted as a "qualified" UFA acquisition.  Had he not released Jenkins by the deadline, we would have zero comp picks intead of the one.

Yeah, I'll tell ya, that  Macc is sure in way over his head. I can't wait to see the migranes on this site when Hackenberg is the starter this year. Gonna be priceless.:D

Archived