Deshaun Watson vs Marshon Lattimore?

Sarge4Tide

Watson vs Lattimore  

39 members have voted

1. 1. If it came down to the Jets picking either Deshaun Watson or Marshon Lattimore, my preference would be......

• Watson by a WIDE country mile
    • Watson
    • Difficult decision, but Watson
    • Either One - I'd be fine with either
    • Difficult decision, but Lattimore
    • Lattimore
    • Lattimore by a WIDE country mile

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At fist I was dead set against a QB at 6, however I am starting to have 2nd thoughts.  I do not think Petty is the long term answer and I do think that Hackenburg is horrific.  The draft is deep in the secondary or so they say.   I'd be willing to take a chance on a QB, and again next year if we must.

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

I cant believe Jets fans are picking a CB.  lmfao

Unreal.

I can't believe there are people who want a 2nd round, at best, QB that comes from the same system that made Tajh Boyd look like a star at 6 overall.  I'd rather take Jamaal Adams, Malik Hooker, or Mike Williams (if we cut Marshall) anyway so whatevs.  That or trade down and grab one your two Gators.

QB. If he isn't what we'd hoped then draft another one with our 1st round pick in 2018 for all I care. We're not winning crap without one anyway, and banking on getting the #1 overall pick next year is a low-percentage strategy to say the least. Imagine the Jets successfully tank the season, end up with the #1 pick, and Darnold decides to stay in school instead of going to the Jets. 

Trying to wait until the perfect/flawless QB prospect is just sitting there for the Jets when they pick, at some point in a future draft, also hasn't worked out too well. Take him if he's there.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I can't believe there are people who want a 2nd round, at best, QB that comes from the same system that made Tajh Boyd look like a star at 6 overall.  I'd rather take Jamaal Adams, Malik Hooker, or Mike Williams (if we cut Marshall) anyway so whatevs.  That or trade down and grab one your two Gators.

2 options, select one.

Just now, Stark said:

2 options, select one.

I did.  It's the lesser of two evils because I don't want to blow the 6th overall pick and a 2-3 year minimum commitment on a QB that isn't worth a first, let alone a top 10 pick. 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

QB. If he isn't what we'd hoped then draft another one with our 1st round pick in 2018 for all I care. We're not winning crap without one anyway, and banking on getting the #1 overall pick next year is a low-percentage strategy to say the least. Imagine the Jets successfully tank the season, end up with the #1 pick, and Darnold decides to stay in school instead of going to the Jets. 

Trying to wait until the perfect/flawless QB prospect is just sitting there for the Jets when they pick, at some point in a future draft, also hasn't worked out too well. Take him if he's there.

No one is drafting a QB 6th overall and drafting another top QB in the first a year later.  No one.  

You choose Watson at 6 and you can forget any of the top 2018 QBs.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I did.  It's the lesser of two evils because I don't want to blow the 6th overall pick and a 2-3 year minimum commitment on a QB that isn't worth a first, let alone a top 10 pick. 

I get it, its not the ideal choice, but out of the 2, if they both were average NFL players then Watson gives us the bigger impact. 

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

Watson is dropping to the 3rd?  lmfao.  0% chance

He could easily drop to second round like Geno. If you take away his title, he's nothing special. He has talent but plenty of flaws that were masked by having a great team and great weapons around him. 

Don't get me wrong, he could develop into a NFL QB but just isn't a guy I'd draft high and build around. 

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

No one is drafting a QB 6th overall and drafting another top QB in the first a year later.  No one.  

You choose Watson at 6 and you can forget any of the top 2018 QBs.

I wouldn't care if they did is what I'm saying, since we're not winning a SB without one no matter what else we again attempt to build around a nobody. He would have to be quite an all-time flop - or for the Jets to trade him after 1 year - for that to happen, I agree. Besides, I half expect the team to draft another ILB or CB next year in round 1 no matter what, even if they don't draft a QB, because they're going to pick up a veteran QB (Cutler, Glennon, Romo, Taylor).

Or maybe even a 3-4 DE (Sheldon will be traded this year, then Mo has another flop season in '17, so they release him 2 years into his extension, thus creating a hole opposite Williams. 

There are plenty of reasons to be skeptical of Watson but I'm sold. I'll take the good over the bad. A athletic guy with all the tools that just wins ballgames. When I watch him I just see a guy who makes the clutch play and who will constantly work hard to improve.... I think teams that pass on him will live to regret it. He's gonna be a Russell Wilson type guy.

1 minute ago, Stark said:

I get it, its not the ideal choice, but in out of the 2, if they both were average NFL players then Watson gives us the bigger impact. 

I get that and if Watson became an average NFL QB by today's standards then, honestly, yeah it was worth the pick.  My problem is that all signs say that it is highly unlikely that it would happen.  We took that "against the grain" gamble with Hack last year with a less risky (outside the first) pick.  I'd rather see the progress on that shot in the dark before we decide to go QB in the first.  Especially when the talent pool is likely going to be much better next year.  

Here's another hypothetical.  Let's say Hackenberg beats the odds this year and we now realize that we blew a pick on a guy because the GM got desperate?  Now we just wasted a top ten pick.  It's especially worse if Watson never becomes anything and we can't trade him.  The plan, as we were told, was to sit Christian and develop him.  Picking Watson goes against all of that and shows signs of panic and cluelessness.  I actually like a lot of what Mac has done (minority around here right now), but that would be grounds for an instant firing in my opinion.  All of this is a long shot to happen, but strengthens my belief that we should just sign a vet and ride out the two young kids we have now.  If we're still here a year from now?  THEN we should use a first on a QB.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I get that and if Watson became an average NFL QB by today's standards then, honestly, yeah it was worth the pick.  My problem is that all signs say that it is highly unlikely that it would happen.  We took that "against the grain" gamble with Hack last year with a less risky (outside the first) pick.  I'd rather see the progress on that shot in the dark before we decide to go QB in the first.  Especially when the talent pool is likely going to be much better next year.  

Here's another hypothetical.  Let's say Hackenberg beats the odds this year and we now realize that we blew a pick on a guy because the GM got desperate?  Now we just wasted a top ten pick.  It's especially worse if Watson never becomes anything and we can't trade him.  The plan, as we were told, was to sit Christian and develop him.  Picking Watson goes against all of that and shows signs of panic and cluelessness.  I actually like a lot of what Mac has done (minority around here right now), but that would be grounds for an instant firing in my opinion.  All of this is a long shot to happen, but strengthens my belief that we should just sign a vet and ride out the two young kids we have now.  If we're still here a year from now?  THEN we should use a first on a QB.

I agree with what you are saying, for the purpose of the thread though, if it is between Latimore and Watson, I'll take the QB, hope he becomes at least average, and hope Hack does as well and we can trade one of them. 

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

also, Hack.

If Hack fails this year, then we used 2 years on him and saw the plan through and can use a first on someone next year with most people not batting an eye at whether or not we handled the situation responsibly.  It's not ideal, but the pick was made and in the weird spot we're in with him + the poor QB class this year, hoping that he succeeds and waiting until next year for a first round QB if he doesn't is, again, in my eyes the most reasonable plan.  Especially with next years crop.

15 minutes ago, Stark said:

I agree with what you are saying, for the purpose of the thread though, if it is between Latimore and Watson, I'll take the QB, hope he becomes at least average, and hope Hack does as well and we can trade one of them. 

Fair enough.  I may not fully agree with it, but I can see your opinion.  One thing I will say is that if we're going through with the desperation route, I'd rather get Trubisky or Kizer.

Archived