Deshaun Watson vs Marshon Lattimore?

Sarge4Tide

Watson vs Lattimore  

39 members have voted

1. 1. If it came down to the Jets picking either Deshaun Watson or Marshon Lattimore, my preference would be......

• Watson by a WIDE country mile
    • Watson
    • Difficult decision, but Watson
    • Either One - I'd be fine with either
    • Difficult decision, but Lattimore
    • Lattimore
    • Lattimore by a WIDE country mile

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I can't believe there are people who want a 2nd round, at best, QB that comes from the same system that made Tajh Boyd look like a star at 6 overall.  I'd rather take Jamaal Adams, Malik Hooker, or Mike Williams (if we cut Marshall) anyway so whatevs.  That or trade down and grab one your two Gators.

Because safeties wins Football games.  

2nd round at best.  Lmfao 

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He could easily drop to second round like Geno. If you take away his title, he's nothing special. He has talent but plenty of flaws that were masked by having a great team and great weapons around him. 

Don't get me wrong, he could develop into a NFL QB but just isn't a guy I'd draft high and build around. 

Jared Goff is special?  Carson Wentz?  Paxton Lynch?  

Those guys are special but Watson is not. 

47 minutes ago, JiF said:

Because safeties wins Football games.  

2nd round at best.  Lmfao 

DeShaun Watson isn't a 1st round QB so yeah, that would make him 2nd round at best.

A top 10 pick better be a top ten talent, regardless of position.  Also, yeah, good safety play can win football games.

45 minutes ago, JiF said:

Goff - No, not right now.

Wentz - Had a special start to his and tapered off because Philly has horrible WRs and no running game.  Might be great down the road.

Lynch - I don't think so.

Have no idea what this had to do with Watson but there are some answers for you.  In fact, Watson is below all of those guys except maybe Lynch in terms of being a prospect and that's a hard "maybe" so you're not really helping his case.

2 hours ago, YouPlay2Win said:

as per Mcshay, throws under 25 yards he completes 79%, throws over 25 yards he's 29%... yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now where have we seen a prospect like that before.......?

Geno-2.jpg

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Tim tebow was special. Geno was great. Hasn't worked out for either in the NFL. Just because the Rams made a mistake doesn't mean we should do the same based on how his team did. 

Peyton and Brady never lead their college teams to a national championship. 

So when you evaluate college QBs it's important to look at the whole body of work and not just wins and losses or even stats (Geno put up great college numbers). 

If you want to see a QB that is the kind of guy that is worthy of high draft pick, watch Sam Darnold from USC. Then watch deshaun again and tell me if you notice a difference. 

I'm not saying Watson can't win in the NFL just saying there are way too many question marks to warrant a high pick on him. In the second, he's intriguing.

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

No one is drafting a QB 6th overall and drafting another top QB in the first a year later.  No one.  

You choose Watson at 6 and you can forget any of the top 2018 QBs.

^This.  +1,000,000.

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Goff - No, not right now.

Wentz - Had a special start to his and tapered off because Philly has horrible WRs and no running game.  Might be great down the road.

Lynch - I don't think so.

Have no idea what this had to do with Watson but there are some answers for you.  In fact, Watson is below all of those guys except maybe Lynch in terms of being a prospect and that's a hard "maybe" so you're not really helping his case.

The point is those guys went first round but you think Watson is going 3rd.  Is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Tim Tebow went first round.  Johnny Manziel.  EJ Manuel.  But Watson won't.

Listen to yourself.  It's laughable.  

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Tim tebow was special. Geno was great. Hasn't worked out for either in the NFL. Just because the Rams made a mistake doesn't mean we should do the same based on how his team did. 

Peyton and Brady never lead their college teams to a national championship. 

So when you evaluate college QBs it's important to look at the whole body of work and not just wins and losses or even stats (Geno put up great college numbers). 

If you want to see a QB that is the kind of guy that is worthy of high draft pick, watch Sam Darnold from USC. Then watch deshaun again and tell me if you notice a difference. 

I'm not saying Watson can't win in the NFL just saying there are way too many question marks to warrant a high pick on him. In the second, he's intriguing.

What makes Tim special and not Watson?  Watson is 10x the prospect. 

12 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If you draft a CB at 6 that busts, it sucks but the team can recover. 

If you draft a QB at 6 that busts, it sets your franchise back 3-4 years and ruins the good years of several players, stunts growth of other offensive players, and gets coaches and GMs fired.

Try 7-10 years. We drafted Sanchez in 2009 and here we are. 

Neither. Trade down in the 1st to pick-up extra picks. This draft is deep at all the need positions except for QB. You draft to build something. You have a deep QB class next season. The Jets need to stockpile picks and use those picks to fill need positions at LT, Edge Rusher, CB, S, OLB and TE. They need to draft at those positions. You fill the holes this year and then go after the QB in next years draft. You need to build a solid foundation so you can have a team that competes EVERY season. That's how its done.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Actually, they do. Blown coverages lead to easy TDs.  Quickest way to lose a game is bad secondary play or bad QB play.

Quickest way to lose a football game is to have an inept offense that subjects your defense to a higher volume of offensive plays.

50 minutes ago, JiF said:

Actually, they do. Blown coverages lead to easy TDs.  Quickest way to lose a game is bad secondary play or bad QB play.

Quickest way to lose is have zero pass rush and thus your defense never force a turnover

Kinda like the jet defenses the last six years despite us paying top dollar in free agency

14 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

A choice between a guy who will touch the ball on practically every offensive play and a guy who might never ever touch the football .  Let me see, how would I choose !!!

Our last three Qb's were Sanchez, Geno and Fitzpatrick. I don't know if that's the argument I'd use.

I get that and if Watson became an average NFL QB by today's standards then, honestly, yeah it was worth the pick.  My problem is that all signs say that it is highly unlikely that it would happen.  We took that "against the grain" gamble with Hack last year with a less risky (outside the first) pick.  I'd rather see the progress on that shot in the dark before we decide to go QB in the first.  Especially when the talent pool is likely going to be much better next year.  
Here's another hypothetical.  Let's say Hackenberg beats the odds this year and we now realize that we blew a pick on a guy because the GM got desperate?  Now we just wasted a top ten pick.  It's especially worse if Watson never becomes anything and we can't trade him.  The plan, as we were told, was to sit Christian and develop him.  Picking Watson goes against all of that and shows signs of panic and cluelessness.  I actually like a lot of what Mac has done (minority around here right now), but that would be grounds for an instant firing in my opinion.  All of this is a long shot to happen, but strengthens my belief that we should just sign a vet and ride out the two young kids we have now.  If we're still here a year from now?  THEN we should use a first on a QB.

.... an average QB makes your team average .... not rocket science.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

33 minutes ago, section314 said:

Our last three Qb's were Sanchez, Geno and Fitzpatrick. I don't know if that's the argument I'd use.

I never wanted Sanchez or Fitz, and Geno was a gamble in the 2nd we couldn't past up because we didn't have a true franchise QB . Considering that as it stands today, Geno Smith represents the best QB option still on the roster, it was worth the gamble .   Now the Jets need to take another gamble and take yet another QB .

16 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I get that and if Watson became an average NFL QB by today's standards then, honestly, yeah it was worth the pick.  My problem is that all signs say that it is highly unlikely that it would happen.  We took that "against the grain" gamble with Hack last year with a less risky (outside the first) pick.  I'd rather see the progress on that shot in the dark before we decide to go QB in the first.  Especially when the talent pool is likely going to be much better next year.  

Here's another hypothetical.  Let's say Hackenberg beats the odds this year and we now realize that we blew a pick on a guy because the GM got desperate?  Now we just wasted a top ten pick.  It's especially worse if Watson never becomes anything and we can't trade him.  The plan, as we were told, was to sit Christian and develop him.  Picking Watson goes against all of that and shows signs of panic and cluelessness.  I actually like a lot of what Mac has done (minority around here right now), but that would be grounds for an instant firing in my opinion.  All of this is a long shot to happen, but strengthens my belief that we should just sign a vet and ride out the two young kids we have now.  If we're still here a year from now?  THEN we should use a first on a QB.

Hack was a bad pick from the start.   We have to keep drafting QBs until we get a good one.  The NFL has made it a QB league with all the rule changes.  

19 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I never wanted Sanchez or Fitz, and Geno was a gamble in the 2nd we couldn't past up because we didn't have a true franchise QB . Considering that as it stands today, Geno Smith represents the best QB option still on the roster, it was worth the gamble .   Now the Jets need to take another gamble and take yet another QB .

This is what I believe. The Jets feel Hackenberg is their guy, and will be the starter this year, my guess is week 5-6. The only way they take a QB in this draft would be on day 2 or 3, to battle Petty for a roster spot as #2 or 3. Geno would only fit into this equation if he would take a cheap, one year deal, to hold the fort until week 5-6 when Hack takes over for good. This would require Geno to be a good teammate, work hard, and be on the same page with the plan here.I don't see him doing that, so my best guess is the Jets have seen the last of Geno. 

This dude Lattimore better run a 4.2 like Deion or he's not really worth a top 6 pick. CBs rarely go that high. is he patrick Peterson? 

Watson is a guy who should go late 1st but will go higher because of QB positional scarcity. It's not fair but it's the way it goes. I'm getting a good vibe off Watson, he's like if Geno Smith wasn't cursed. 

6 hours ago, JiF said:

The point is those guys went first round but you think Watson is going 3rd.  Is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Tim Tebow went first round.  Johnny Manziel.  EJ Manuel.  But Watson won't.

Listen to yourself.  It's laughable.  

I literally said in my second response to you, that I don't think Watson is going in the 3rd, just that there is a chance.  Which there is.  I think he's going in the 2nd, where he belongs.

You honestly think that those guys are the norm and not outliers?  You reaaaaaaaalllllly think someone else is as stupid as McDaniels (Tebow) and the Browns (Manziel)?  Especially after seeing how poorly all of those players you listed have worked out?

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This dude Lattimore better run a 4.2 like Deion or he's not really worth a top 6 pick. CBs rarely go that high. is he patrick Peterson? 

Watson is a guy who should go late 1st but will go higher because of QB positional scarcity. It's not fair but it's the way it goes. I'm getting a good vibe off Watson, he's like if Geno Smith wasn't cursed. 

Until he gets drafted by the Jets, then he will be just as cursed as Geno Smith

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Until he gets drafted by the Jets, then he will be just as cursed as Geno Smith

Meh, Geno was a complete loser douche before he was drafted by the Jets. I don't want Watson at 6, but Watson is in no way comparable to Geno other than their skin color.

4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Hack was a bad pick from the start.   We have to keep drafting QBs until we get a good one.  The NFL has made it a QB league with all the rule changes.  

We won't know Hack is 110% a bad pick for sure until he actually plays.  We can have our opinions but, for better or worse, the jury is still out.  When the team drafted him and said they were sitting him, they committed to at least 2 years of development.  We aren't drafting a QB at 6, nor should we given the talent.

Archived