Updated Mock - 3rd Extra Comp Pick

mattyb143225

Trade:  DL Sheldon Richardson to Atlanta Falcons for 2017 2nd Round Pick. 

Draft: 

1. RB Leonard Fournette 

2a. TE David Njoku 

2b. CB Jalen Tabor

3a. OL Dion Dawkins 

3b. OL Taylor Moton 

5. OLB Carl Lawson 

6. C Cameron Tom 

7. OLB James Cowser 

While I am aware Fournette is not our biggest need - I think he will be best player available - and Forte looks done after this year. Him and Powell will be an exceptional 1-2 punch for multiple years moving forward. Adding a diverse TE in round 2 will also help our WR get open on the sidelines. I think it is important we add some youth to our offense as our recent drafts have been focused on defensive side. 

Thanks for the kind words. We need a TE badly - just because Amaro didn't work out with Idzik doesn't mean Mac can't find a good one. 

It is called depth bro - our offensive line is our weakest link - sometimes it is okay to have multiple offensive lineman on one team that can start? 

My bad didn't know we don't have a fourth round pick. 

5 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

We don't have a 4th, and we won't be getting a 2nd for Sheldon.  Drafting a TE in the 2nd is stupid. We have two young guards under contract for multiple seasons yet you have us using a 3rd round pick on one. Other than that, stand up job.

I really dislike when people make statements like this with no depth.  I'm not discounting your opinion, in some ways you are right, but its a discussion board and I figured I'd do the legwork and see if you were correct.  The following information is a year old, it was from an article last February but I think it helps this discussion.

Tight End

With this year light on quality tight ends, it has been floated that maybe the Chiefs should consider Maxx Williams at No. 18 depending on how the draft falls. Overall, the last decade has shown us that it really doesn't make a lot of difference which round you select a tight end.

• Tight ends are rarely drafted in the first round. Only nine tight ends were drafted in the first round in the last decade. Of those nine, six have had success.
  • The success rate for tight ends is as follows: 1st - 67%, 2nd - 50%, 3rd - 39%, 4th - 33%, 5th - 32%, 6th - 26%, 7th - 0%. In other words, selecting a tight end in the 3rd through 6th doesn't make a lot of difference.
  • The highest number of tight ends has been selected in the 7th round (31) with the least amount of success (0%)
  • The third and fifth round seem to be good bets for picking a tight end. Since if you were ranking based on number drafted it would go 7th, 3rd, 5th, 4th, 6th, 2nd and 1st.

These numbers lead you to believe that you are better off looking for a draft "gem" among your later round TEs due to the fact that the success rates are similar across the board. The Chiefs have selected six TEs over the last decade with half being third rounders (Brad Cottam, Tony Moeaki, and Travis Kelce). With potential for comp picks in the 3rd, 4th or 5th this year, those might be the best times to consider another TE rather than picking one early.

Now it doesn't sound stupid since the success rate is 50%.  But it could potentially be looked at as risky since you might be looking at a flip of a coin for a high value pick.  In light of Jets recent draft history 50% success rate for a 2nd round pick could be looked at as a positive for our recent efforts with 2nd round picks or it could continue our trend of picking a 2nd round talent that either doesn't see the field due to injury or experience or bust factor.

I personally would probably try to Gerald Everett in the 3rd if available, I like the comparisons to Brandon Marshall.  But I don't think I would be upset with OPs top 3 picks.

15 hours ago, shuler82 said:

We don't have a 4th, and we won't be getting a 2nd for Sheldon.  Drafting a TE in the 2nd is stupid. We have two young guards under contract for multiple seasons yet you have us using a 3rd round pick on one. Other than that, stand up job.

The sleeper is TE Adam Shaheen of Ashland College. The kid hasn't played against top level competition and will need to refine certain parts of his game but most of them do and these are not things that are beyond his abilities - just level of competition and coaching. But at 6'6", 280 lbs. and speed to run away from defenders, he could turn out to be a monster TE. The only problem is he projects to the 4th or 5th round but I believe unless the Patriots take a TE earlier, they will use their 3rd on him. I would seriously consider using our 3rd on him by trading down in the 3rd round for a lower 3rd rounder and a 4th rounder if possible and grabbing the kid.

As for Richardson not bringing us a 2nd, I agree the odds aren't there but it is possible. Dallas could use him as could the Falcons and maybe some other team. I would guess a 3rd is more probable but you never know.

I think its time for us to start thinking ahead. I would do whatever I could to try and trade our #6 to a team for their lower 1st and their 1st the following year. And even if we had to accept a 2nd this year and a 1st next year I would do that. We would still have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds even though no first and with those we could concentrate on drafting players who can contribute on our infrastructure like oline and secondary. We need bodies to be able to allow skill position players to flourish.

Then with 2 first round picks next year and assuming 1 of them to be relatively high, we could package something to be able to draft the top QB - assume it to be Darnold (USC) or as a fallback Rosen (UCLA). And the kid would come to a team that has youth and a decent oline to avoid being killed. It requires patience but its worth it to be able to have a plan to get a true franchise QB.

16 hours ago, mattyb143225 said:

Trade:  DL Sheldon Richardson to Atlanta Falcons for 2017 2nd Round Pick. 

Draft: 

1. RB Leonard Fournette 

2a. TE David Njoku 

2b. CB Jalen Tabor

3a. OL Dion Dawkins 

3b. OL Taylor Moton 

5. OLB Carl Lawson 

6. C Cameron Tom 

7. OLB James Cowser 

While I am aware Fournette is not our biggest need - I think he will be best player available - and Forte looks done after this year. Him and Powell will be an exceptional 1-2 punch for multiple years moving forward. Adding a diverse TE in round 2 will also help our WR get open on the sidelines. I think it is important we add some youth to our offense as our recent drafts have been focused on defensive side. 

My god if we can actually get a 2nd for Richardson I'd be ecstatic. I just believe the ceiling now is a third. If we were competing, I'd say keep Richardson and we'll get a third comp pick when his contracts up and we don't resign anyway. 

But since we're rebuilding anyway, we could use his cap space and the culture change in the locker room. So, I'd take the 3rd this year if someon coughs it up. That would give us 5 picks in the top 100. 

Nice way to rebuild!

37 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Everyone should just stop, the Jets are NOT drafting a RB at 6.  It will not happen. 

But it needs to happen. To quote Stanley Kubrick: "The days of finger banging Mary Jane Rotten Crotch are over" LOL. We have drafted D unsuccessfully with our first round picks seemingly forever, leaving a total lack of speed, talent, and ultimately, productivity on offense, not to mention the worst ST's probably in NFL history, again, all due to the lack of speed and talent in this organization. This team needs an infusion of star power, it needs offensive threats, someone for defenses to have to game plan against. Nobody is scared of Q, Bilal, Forte, J Marshall, Peake or Anderson. Decker and B-Marsh are broken down and scare no one either, that is IF they are still here next season. While most of, if not all of these guys are serviceable players, they scare nobody, henceforth 6 point or less outputs in so many losses last season. IMHO, go out and get some stars that will keep us fans interested. At least make it tougher for opponents to play against us, despite our incapacity at HC. We may not win right away, but it will surely be more exciting, no?

PS We aren't getting $hit for Mr. Attitude Richardson. If you were an NFL GM would you give up anything of value to infuse a cancer into your locker room? I sure as hell wouldn't.

I don't think you can get a 2 for Richardson because whoever trades for him has to give him an extension, and I don't think anyone is doing that. 

That said, the dream would be to trade Richardson and Hackenberg and Decker for third, fourth rounders, then take some chances in Rounds one and two. If you trick the Texans into taking Hack, go ahead and draft Watson. Try to trade back up for Tim Williams or Barnett. Then come back in the third and find your CBs and OL. 

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Everyone should just stop, the Jets are NOT drafting a RB at 6.  It will not happen. 

Don't see why not ... he'll sell tickets and jerseys better than a CB or other defensive player at the same spot.

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't think you can get a 2 for Richardson because whoever trades for him has to give him an extension, and I don't think anyone is doing that. 

That said, the dream would be to trade Richardson and Hackenberg and Decker for third, fourth rounders, then take some chances in Rounds one and two. If you trick the Texans into taking Hack, go ahead and draft Watson. Try to trade back up for Tim Williams or Barnett. Then come back in the third and find your CBs and OL. 

This

59 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Blah blah blah blah blah. Strategy schmategy. Can we just draft some good football players at positions that matter? Is that so ******* complicated? Do we need more trades for that?

25 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Blah blah blah blah blah. Strategy schmategy. Can we just draft some good football players at positions that matter? Is that so ******* complicated? Do we need more trades for that?

We're going to draft another corner at 6 and sign Brian Hoyer. I said good day, sir.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We're going to draft another corner at 6 and sign Brian Hoyer. I said good day, sir.

This isn't nearly as great as the authorities that spend countless minutes explaining why THE JETS SHOULD TRADE DOWN FOR LIKE A LOT MORE PICKS.

Hey, sounds great! But, you do realize that means someone has to want to trade up, right? It's not like the GM just announces he wants to move down because he wants more cool picks and then that automatically just happens.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Man I hope they bring in Hoyer that means they intend to give the 2 pups a shot. As far as drafting a corner with 6 I am ok with that as long as they don't pass on Fournette to do it.  If they do that I am going to watch anyway ......so there!

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This isn't nearly as great as the authorities that spend countless minutes explaining why THE JETS SHOULD TRADE DOWN FOR LIKE A LOT MORE PICKS.

Hey, sounds great! But, you do realize that means someone has to want to trade up, right? It's not like the GM just announces he wants to move down because he wants more cool picks and then that automatically just happens.

Do you like those better, or the "I'd bring him in, but only on a one-year deal at or near the minimum" guy?

Just now, SickJetFan said:

Man I hope they bring in Hoyer that means they intend to give the 2 pups a shot. As far as drafting a corner with 6 I am ok with that as long as they don't pass on Fournette to do it.  If they do that I am going to watch anyway ......so there!

Bowles will start Hoyer until he dies and Marcus Lattimore will give up 10 catches per game to Julian Edelman and we'll all be in sorrow.

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Probably not. If Cleveland does take anyone other than a QB with their first pick in the first round and one of those QB falls to six I could see something happening with them.The 6th overall for #12 and a late rounder? Could happen. Otherwise I say pick the best available guy. A lot will happen before the draft though. Guys stock will rise and others will plummet. Its way too early too predict anything really. That's why draft day is so much fun.

I don't see Richardson netting anything more than a 3rd round pick though. If that. Hell if Mac can trade any of these vets for picks he should do it for the cap relief alone. Its going to be tough though. Other teams know the Jets are cap strapped. It will be fun to see how it all shakes out.

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Not bad, I still like Fournette at 6.

No way are we getting a 2nd for Sheldon. 3 at best 4th likely.

I have no idea what or if Dallas offered for him before the trade deadline last year but the Cowboys would have probably been in the Super Bowl had they traded for him. One play! Just one defensive stop! We all bash Richardson because his attitude stinks but he played better than Mo last year & had he been in the spotlight in the playoffs he might have pushed Dallas into the Super Bowl or made the 1 play for Atlanta to stem the Brady onslaught & the Falcons would be Super Bowl champions.

I truly believe that & if I was a fan of those teams I'd be pissed that a play wasn't made for him if he was indeed available for like a 2nd rounder.

44 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I have no idea what or if Dallas offered for him before the trade deadline last year but the Cowboys would have probably been in the Super Bowl had they traded for him. One play! Just one defensive stop! We all bash Richardson because his attitude stinks but he played better than Mo last year & had he been in the spotlight in the playoffs he might have pushed Dallas into the Super Bowl or made the 1 play for Atlanta to stem the Brady onslaught & the Falcons would be Super Bowl champions.

I truly believe that & if I was a fan of those teams I'd be pissed that a play wasn't made for him if he was indeed available for like a 2nd rounder.

no doubt richardson is a beast.  i like the fire he plays with.  okay maybe that's also why he goes driving around at 120 in missouri with a gun in his car, but on the whole put him in the right position and he'll maul the guy across from him. we'll see where he lands in a trade deal and what the jets get.

the post (well it's serby so who knows) has the jets taking foster with the 6th pick and passing on qb's and fournette.  trubitsky goes to chicago. this just seems like the ideal draft to trade down from.  i know some people like taking a top running back.  in past years a top running back was one of the few things that coud improve a team.  now it's not so much and the jets sure need to start getting some playmakers.  i'd still rather they trade back to around 15 and add an additional pick or two.

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I dream of a scenario in which we trade our #6 overall for every pick in the seventh round.

1 minute ago, Ghost420 said:

If we take a cb I am done for the season.

What if he's really gritty and coachable? Besides, drafting another DB will be an excellent enticement when trying to hire next year's coach. "Hey, come take this job. It includes a couple of safeties, a corner, Bilal Powell, and Christian Hackenberg." Harbaugh would be on the first flight to Jersey.

Just now, T0mShane said:

What if he's really gritty and coachable? Besides, drafting another DB will be an excellent enticement when trying to hire next year's coach. "Hey, come take this job. It includes a couple of safeties, a corner, Bilal Powell, and Christian Hackenberg." Harbaugh would be on the first flight to Jersey.

haha....my list at 6 goes 1. Fournette 2. Hooker 3. Foster

Archived