If you were Mac for this offseason, what would you do to WIN this year?

Fibonacci

Let's be real. For us fans, it is better to suck for a year or two to grab the dream QB in the next few drafts. But reality is, the GM's and coaches have short shelf lives if they don't win. Coming out of an embarrassing season, I don't think Mac and Bowles are looking at this like we do. Meaning, they don't care about 2018 QB class or anything. They will do everything in their power to win every single game this year. 

Now, with that, assume you are the GM and you have to assemble the best roster for next year and years forward. What would you do? 

Sign Tyrod/Cutler?

Draft Fournette?

Not trade Sheldon and hang on to your weapon?

Again, assume your job is to win as much games as possible, what would you do if you were Mac for this offseason?

1) Entire organization committs to releasing the Hackenberg.

2) Overwhelming amount of available resources go to protecting the passer and rushing the passer.

3) Trade down from #6, hoard draft picks, acquire future draft picks.

winning this year isn't that important to me, getting young and developing a 21 year old QB is.  If they can get Hack ready in 2 years and have a nice core of young studs to compliment him, that'd be great.

My top priority would be signing stephon Gilmore I think he can be a good corner for a long time. We have two young qbs realistically we need a veteran if we want to play to win fortunately I think it will be a buyers market for veteran qbs this off-season as Cutler Romo glennon Hoyer should all be up for grabs worst case we can sign Geno up again probably on a backup salary no guarantee deal. As for the draft I would focus on db and ol I would start by taking peppers trade down to get him if I could and reach for him if I couldn't I think he is going to be a star in the league and fits Bowles system well. Second round and on I'm taking best dbs and olineman available unless there is a clear stud at another position who fell which is possible in round two. If you patch up the oline and defensive backfield you could make an argument that your roster is close to being a serious contender when your young players develop especially if they have a good showing like our receivers did last year.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

hire the guy who used to video tape for the patsies and have him go steal signals and plays from all of the opponents.  get ibm's watson to analyze the opponents and the jet players and perform the game day play calling.  get a wheelbarrow of cash and sign cousins and draft fournette and a Lt.

You need 3 things, A QB, guys to protect the QB, and A guy(s) to get the opposing QB.

It really is that simple, and so hard at the same time, but find these 3 things, and you win Super Bowls.

There are a very small handful of QB's well like 2, who can make getting guys to protect the QB step less necessary, so don't count on getting one, and assume you need to protect the QB, and that would be step one for me build the line up first, step 2 find a Guy(s) to get to opposing QB, 3rd and final step pray to whom ever it is you have faith in, and hope your prayers get answered, and you find the QB, unfortunately even if you succeed at steps 1, and 2 it's not enough without step 3, and if you have just step 3, and he isn't Brady, or Rodgers it won't matter.

CUT-Revis,Harris,Mangold,Folk,Giacomini,Henderson,GIlchrist,Skrine.... Keeping Marshall and Decker to give whichever QB we sign the best chance to succeed. 

FREE AGENCY: Sign Stephon Gilmore,Aj bouye or Trumaine Johnson we need an elite corner and all 3 of these guys are still young and getting better each year. If there is a way to land 2 of them then go for it.  Tyrod or Glennon (If not these guys go Petty,Hack and a young cheap vet to battle it out). Sign Kelvin Beachum or Matt Kalil to add an efficient LT. This game is won in the trenches we can not afford to ignore the oline anymore.  

DRAFT: 1-Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker with #6. Our secondary has more holes than a damn golf course these are 2 elite level safeties who can immediately make us better we can't pass one of them up. 2- Try and work a deal with Dallas for Sheldon+a 3rd for their late 1st rounder and take Mcaffrey (Hypothetical).3- 2nd round draft an OT or CB. 3rd round double down on the Oline if we pass up on LT in 2nd rnd. Draft a kicker eventually.

Contrary to most peoples beliefs I think we made a great signing with ASJ. Dude can play 6'5 250 can block and has solid hands we need to get him more involved. Limit Forte and use Powell more. With Fortes injury history and age he doesn't need to be carrying the ball 30x a game.

2015's success was based on a relatively weak schedule,the efficiency of our corners playing press coverage opening up the constant blitz and that dildo Fitzpatrick playing on a different galaxy than he's used too. We need to add elite level corners who succeed in man coverage to open up the blitz and defensive attack that was effective in 2015. 

There is basically nothing that we can do that will make us get to the playoffs next year, short of trading for Romo and hoping he has a throwback year.  Then we would need to trade future picks for multiple OL, a number 1 Wr, a secondary, a pass rusher, special teams players and a TE.  That's 3-4 first, second and third round picks worth of value, and its dubious we have the cap space to fit them all in, which means pushing the money into the future and having cap Armageddon the following years.

so you can always go that route, and indeed it's not that hard to do, but it's an unsustainable course and a few injuries or team chemistry problems and the whole thing is for naught (see Philadelphias dream team).

5 hours ago, SR24 said:

CUT-Harris,Mangold,Folk,Giacomini,Henderson,GIlchrist,Skrine.... Keeping Marshall and Decker to give whichever QB we sign the best chance to succeed. 

FREE AGENCY: Sign Stephon Gilmore,Aj bouye or Trumaine Johnson we need an elite corner and all 3 of these guys are still young and getting better each year. If there is a way to land 2 of them then go for it.  Tyrod or Glennon (If not these guys go Petty,Hack and a young cheap vet to battle it out). Sign Kelvin Beachum or Matt Kalil to add an efficient LT. This game is won in the trenches we can not afford to ignore the oline anymore.  

DRAFT: 1-Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker with #6. Our secondary has more holes than a damn golf course these are 2 elite level safeties who can immediately make us better we can't pass one of them up. 2- Try and work a deal with Dallas for Sheldon+a 3rd for their late 1st rounder and take Mcaffrey (Hypothetical).3- 2nd round draft an OT or CB. 3rd round double down on the Oline if we pass up on LT in 2nd rnd. Draft a kicker eventually.

Contrary to most peoples beliefs I think we made a great signing with ASJ. Dude can play 6'5 250 can block and has solid hands we need to get him more involved. Limit Forte and use Powell more. With Fortes injury history and age he doesn't need to be carrying the ball 30x a game.

2015's success was based on a relatively weak schedule,the efficiency of our corners playing press coverage opening up the constant blitz and that dildo Fitzpatrick playing on a different galaxy than he's used too. We need to add elite level corners who succeed in man coverage to open up the blitz and defensive attack that was effective in 2015. 

This is how you win this year.  I think you need to cut Revis for the cap space unless you thought he would be your second best cb.  Last year he was not.

i was going to say draft a RB, but I think going with what we have plus lower picks/FA and taking a Gilcrist replacement is better.

This is an interesting exercise.  The short term answer is not that different from long term.   Long term you don't spend on a QB and perhaps spend on Ingram and/or Jefferson.  

5 hours ago, SR24 said:

CUT-Harris,Mangold,Folk,Giacomini,Henderson,GIlchrist,Skrine.... Keeping Marshall and Decker to give whichever QB we sign the best chance to succeed. 

1 go with lesser cb. Verner just got cut, sign him for less and sign DJ Hayden. Id keep Skrine, he competes/

2 sign Bradley Sowell LT

3 draft Fournette rb #6

4 trade our 3rd rounder for AJ Macarrons QB

5 trade Richarson for anything you can get.

2. Free agency I'd

1 hour ago, varjet said:

This is how you win this year.  I think you need to cut Revis for the cap space unless you thought he would be your second best cb.  Last year he was not.

i was going to say draft a RB, but I think going with what we have plus lower picks/FA and taking a Gilcrist replacement is better.

This is an interesting exercise.  The short term answer is not that different from long term.   Long term you don't spend on a QB and perhaps spend on Ingram and/or Jefferson.  

Jesus I forgot to add Revis to the cuts lol

1- Redo Revis and Mangold contracts to align with value (not easy but possible)

2- Sign FA OT and CB (this will not be easy since they will be overpriced) 

3 - Draft Watson (if he falls to 6) and if not hope OLB falls or you can trade down or gamble and hope Hooker turns into Reed

Fans are concerned with 1 and 2 due to impact on cap for next few years and draft is unknown hence the push to blow it up and draft a QB in 18 or 19, Mac is probably concerned for his job, a 2-4 win season and someone else may get the rebuilding job

Blowing it up this year is probably better long term if you can get the QB next year, you would have cap to build around him but again the draft is unknown - For example Cleveland gave up Wentz for the top pick this year and it may turn out that Wentz is better then every QB in this draft. Good Luck Mac

I don't think there's a realistic way for the Jets to be a winning/contending team next year.  First thing I'd try to do is convince the owner of that and to give me the opportunity to really build a team and not go for the quick band aid approach that caps out at around 9-7 or 10-6.

I posted this in the draft forum earlier today.  This is what i do with my job on the line.

Mock offseason

I have agreed with the release of Clady, Folk, Giacomini and Mangold.

I would also cut Revis, Harris, Gilchrist and Skrine. 

Trade Richardson, Pryor, 6th round pick to Cincy for McCarron and a 3rd round pick.  

Trade Brandon Marshall and Matt Forte to the Raiders for a 5th round pick.

That should leave us with 50+ million this year in cap space.

Extend Enunwa
Resign Ijalana, Marcus Williams, Wesley Johnson

Sign S Tony Jefferson (5 year/40 mil)
Sign 2 of AJ Bouye, Trumaine Johnson or Logan Ryan (both around 5 year/55 mil)
Sign Kevin Minter (4 year/30 mil)
Sign Nick Perry (4 year/30 mil)
Sign Ricky Wagner (4 year/34 mil)

Should still have 15 million left in salary cap space.

Draft

Trade 2nd round pick to Cleveland for their 2nd (51), 3rd comp (103)

1-6 - Leonard Fournette, RB
2-51 - Budda Baker, S
3-70 - Jourdan Lewis, CB
3-103 - Adam Bisnowaty, OT
3-107 - Ethan Pocic, C
5-150 - Jake Butt, TE
5-168 - Ryan Anderson, OLB
7-224 - James Conner, RB

Cuts: Revis, Gilchrist, Skrine, Harris

Re-Sign: Winters, Harris on a cheaper deal if possible

Trade: Richardson for something of value (2nd-3rd rounder or a player)

Free Agency: Sign one of Johnson, Ryan, Gilmore, Buoye; Sign Matt Kalil; Sign ILB and a Corner (lower tier money wise 3-6 per max); Sign Taylor if he becomes available, if not pursue Glennon or Geno

Draft: Take either Hooker, Fournette, or Lattimore with the 6th pick, continue to draft BPA

Starting O:

LT: Kalil

LG: Carpenter

C: Johnson

RG: Winters

RT: Shell

RB: Forte, Powell, (Fournette?)

WR: Marshall, Decker, Q

TE: ASJ

QB: Taylor/Glennon/Geno, Hack

Starting D:

DE: Williams & Wilk

NT: McLendon

OLB: Mauldin & Jenkins

ILB: Lee, Harris/Lower Tier free agent

CB: Gilmore/Johnson/Buoye/Ryan, lower tier FA/Lattimore

FS: Miles/Hooker

SS: Pryor

2 minutes ago, Sully said:

Cuts: Revis, Gilchrist, Skrine, Harris

Re-Sign: Winters, Harris on a cheaper deal if possible

Trade: Richardson for something of value (2nd-3rd rounder or a player)

Free Agency: Sign one of Johnson, Ryan, Gilmore, Buoye; Sign Matt Kalil; Sign ILB and a Corner (lower tier money wise 3-6 per max); Sign Taylor if he becomes available, if not pursue Glennon or Geno

Draft: Take either Hooker, Fournette, or Lattimore with the 6th pick, continue to draft BPA

Starting O:

LT: Kalil

LG: Carpenter

C: Johnson

RG: Winters

RT: Shell

RB: Forte, Powell, (Fournette?)

WR: Marshall, Decker, Q

TE: ASJ

QB: Taylor/Glennon/Geno, Hack

Starting D:

DE: Williams & Wilk

NT: McLendon

OLB: Mauldin & Jenkins

ILB: Lee, Harris/Lower Tier free agent

CB: Gilmore/Johnson/Buoye/Ryan, lower tier FA/Lattimore

FS: Miles/Hooker

SS: Pryor

Just awful, thank god you aren't GM

I'm not sure how all of this would work out cap wise at this moment but my main plan would be to keep my two weapons at receiver in Marshall and Decker, then get a vet QB in here who can get them the ball and is a better player than Fitz.

I'd love the Jets to sign Tyrod Taylor and if not him Jay Cutler. Nut both guys have to actually be cut first.

I don't think Cutler is great, but I think he gives the Jets their best shot of being successful in the immediate future. Tyrod, I think can actually be somewhat of a legitimate answer at the position for the next few seasons.

The Jets have to get a left tackle brought in and sign two CB's.

So for me it's bring in a vet QB like Taylor or Cutler, sign a capable left tackle, and address the CB position for both spots.

Archived