I like this Malik Hooker dude

long suffering jets fan

I'd love Hooker at 6, kid is gonna be only 21 like Leo was when we drafted him, has all the tools to be an all pro Safety, he probably will struggle year 1 giving up big plays due to lack of experience, but that's ok because Jets won't be good next year so hopefully like Revis come year 3 Hooker will emerge as a top Safety in all of football hopefully right around the same time the Jets are ready to contend again.

Back to only being 21 to start next season means your looking at a possible 10 year productive pick unlike these 24 year old kids you can't give a 2nd contract to because they are 29 years old asking for their big pay day, like Leo Hooker will only be 26 when his 2nd contract big pay day deal happens and makes you feel more comfortable giving 3 year guaranteed money if his first 4-5 years deemed it like Hooker projects.

10 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I'd love Hooker at 6, kid is gonna be only 21 like Leo was when we drafted him, has all the tools to be an all pro Safety, he probably will struggle year 1 giving up big plays due to lack of experience, but that's ok because Jets won't be good next year so hopefully like Revis come year 3 Hooker will emerge as a top Safety in all of football hopefully right around the same time the Jets are ready to contend again.

Back to only being 21 to start next season means your looking at a possible 10 year productive pick unlike these 24 year old kids you can't give a 2nd contract to because they are 29 years old asking for their big pay day, like Leo Hooker will only be 26 when his 2nd contract big pay day deal happens and makes you feel more comfortable giving 3 year guaranteed money if his first 4-5 years deemed it like Hooker projects.

The dude's a big playmaker and a solid tackler. 

14 hours ago, cant wait said:

I rarely would ever want to take a safety this high but hooker is going to be a star 

When's the last time we had good coverage over the top?  Answer:  It's been a long time. 

Pryor is an in the box safety and is horrible in coverage. 

Imagine Hooker playing centerfield and tracking down every deep ball with his speed. 

If the pass is accurate he'll knock it down, if it's overthrown he'll pick it off.  The margin of error for opposing QB is going to get much smaller with Hooker on this team and we won't have to ask as much of our CBs.

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

I like Adams alot and I'd like to have both, but we have to choose.  If we were looking for a strong safety Adams would be our man, but at this point on this team we need a free safety who can help out the CBs in coverage and allow Calvin Pryor to play in the box as a strong safety. 

11 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I like Adams alot and I'd like to have both, but we have to choose.  If we were looking for a strong safety Adams would be our man, but at this point on this team we need a free safety who can help out the CBs in coverage and allow Calvin Pryor to play in the box as a strong safety. 

I agree. I mean, to me, I'd rather not go the safety route at 6. I think Gilchrist will stay a Jet this season and I like what I have seen from Middleton and Miles. Pryor is on the bubble but it's too early to give up on him, if he has better support in coverage and can focus on playing in the box he will see a lot more success. I know both Adams and Hooker are studs. I too like Hooker more, just purely as a talent with bigger upside. But I'd much rather have the Jets get a stud CB with legit #1 CB potential (S.Jones), a pass rusher (S.Thomas), a premier offensive play-maker like Fournette.

So, to me, if Fournette is there you take him as option A. If S.Thomas is there, that would be option B. If Both are gone, you go with top CB, who IMO is S.Jones. Only if those options are off the table do you go with a safety.

One that that also concerns me about Hooker is his surgery and the fact that he will miss the combine. Another thing is that he is a one and done prospect.

I see Fournette as one of the top RBs in the NFL if he can stay healthy.

I see Thomas as being a versatile, balanced, do it all, type of OLB with a relentless motor- AT WORST.  

I see S.Jones as being the best CB to come out of this draft and a future #1 in a man-cover scheme. 

Hooker is up there as well, to me, as a guy that can be an elite safety in the NFL. But the questions surrounding his health and drafting the safety position at 6 are a bit concerning to me. 

Any one of these guys would be a great addition. And one, or more, should def. be there at 6. 

On 2/26/2017 at 11:40 AM, long suffering jets fan said:

When's the last time we had good coverage over the top?  Answer:  It's been a long time. 

Pryor is an in the box safety and is horrible in coverage. 

Imagine Hooker playing centerfield and tracking down every deep ball with his speed. 

If the pass is accurate he'll knock it down, if it's overthrown he'll pick it off.  The margin of error for opposing QB is going to get much smaller with Hooker on this team and we won't have to ask as much of our CBs.

well I keep hearing about how this kid is the second coming of ed reed, so I don't think the jets have ever had anything like that before

3 hours ago, Hungarian Howitzer said:

Definitely agree Hooker would be the most talented player in his spot. But the question is do you go after the most talented player or do you go with a need? I say we go with a corner, Lattimore preferably.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I go with talent, you can always find depth but true studs are extremely hard to come by

Archived