Leon Hess

TuscanyTile2

Your thoughts on him as an owner.  I know we weren't successful under him but I did like the guy.  I think he truly wanted to win.  Even when he fired Pete Carroll to hire Kotite because he wanted to "win now" (because of his age) I think his heart was in the right place.  If he would've lived a couple more years we possibly would've been able to keep Belichick too.  He just had no luck.

25 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

He wasn't the majority owner in '69.

Never said he was the majority owner. 

He bought out his partners: Sonny Werblin in 1968,[5] the heirs of Philip H. Iselin in 1977, Townsend Martin in 1981[6] and became the sole owner of the club after purchasing the last quarter-share from Helen Dillon, Lillis' daughter, in 1984.[4]

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

It certainly wasnt Sell Out SAR I thats for sure.

In one month I owe the New York Jets $5,550 for 2017 season tickets, a season where we play the Chiefs, Chargers, Falcons, Panthers, Patriots, and Dolphins, at home, at best we'll go 2-6.

Let me know when you are going to PayPal me $5,550 to prevent me from selling my seats on the open market to the highest taker.  This way you can eat the money or give them away to friends. Win-win. 

SAR I

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He bought out his partners: Sonny Werblin in 1968,[5] the heirs of Philip H. Iselin in 1977, Townsend Martin in 1981[6] and became the sole owner of the club after purchasing the last quarter-share from Helen Dillon, Lillis' daughter, in 1984.[4]

It's great that you used Google after the fact. It would be nice if you just admitted your mistake.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

In one month I owe the New York Jets $5,550 for 2017 season tickets, a season where we play the Chiefs, Chargers, Falcons, Panthers, Patriots, and Dolphins, at home, at best we'll go 2-6.

Let me know when you are going to PayPal me $5,550 to prevent me from selling my seats on the open market to the highest taker.  This way you can eat the money or give them away to friends. Win-win. 

SAR I

I can buy way better PSL's and seats cheaper on the PSL resale site why would I invest your mistake. 

joewilly12

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I can buy way better PSL's and seats cheaper on the PSL resale site why would I invest your mistake. 

joewilly12

Post your PSL invoice and then you can comment on how other PSL owners choose to spend their time. 

Pay up or shut up.

SAR I

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Leon Hess majority owner in 1969 owned 50% of the NY Jets. 

If not for the fact that the Jets won the Super Bowl in 1968, this tidbit may actually have mattered. 

Just admit you were wrong and then we can all move on. 

SAR I

My Jets won the Super Bowl on January 12th 1969.
Hess was a terrible owner.
He allowed his GM Weeb Ewbank
( great coach, lousy GM) to hire his son in law Charlie Winner as head coach when Weeb retired from coaching.
Charlie Winner was the Rich Kotite of the 70s.
Then he followed up that hire with Lou Holtz, Hess knew oil but never had a clue about football.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Just researched it on the net eh buddy?

Leon Hess wasn't perfect, but he tried.  His failures were hiring idiots as GMs.  And because of that, we drafted poorly and kept HCs a too long.  In 1990, had he been able to lure Ron Wolf and Holmgrem, it would have been very different.

That said, when he hired Dick Steinberg, but when he got sick and Steve Gutman filled in, we hit rock bottom.

53 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Leon Hess wasn't perfect, but he tried.  His failures were hiring idiots as GMs.  And because of that, we drafted poorly and kept HCs a too long.  In 1990, had he been able to lure Ron Wolf and Holmgrem, it would have been very different.

That said, when he hired Dick Steinberg, but when he got sick and Steve Gutman filled in, we hit rock bottom.

Leon's crime was that he died a year too early.  Had he made it 12 more months we would have had the front office stability necessary to make Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick comfortable, the Patriots never happen.

SAR I

My memories of Mr Hess was that we always seemed to be second banana to the Giants in everything.  We had Hess/Gutman and guys like Jim Kensil while with the Giants it was Wellington Mara and George Young. Us becoming tenants at Giants stadium just added to the second banana feel.  The poor guy's going to be remembered for his "I'm 80 years old and I want to win now" speech and the subsequent hiring of Kotite...

On 2/25/2017 at 5:04 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Your thoughts on him as an owner.  I know we weren't successful under him but I did like the guy.  I think he truly wanted to win.  Even when he fired Pete Carroll to hire Kotite because he wanted to "win now" (because of his age) I think his heart was in the right place.  If he would've lived a couple more years we possibly would've been able to keep Belichick too.  He just had no luck.

Leon was a terrible owner as far as the on field product, he was a great owner as far as not gouging the fans.  he's basically the opposite of Woody but I'd rather pay more and win than pay less and lose.

ownership had nothing to do w/ BB leaving(on our end).  it was about his relationship w/ Kraft and what BP was doing to him.  he wanted to get away from BP.

On 2/25/2017 at 11:31 PM, Randy Rasmussen said:

My Jets won the Super Bowl on January 12th 1969.
Hess was a terrible owner.
He allowed his GM Weeb Ewbank
( great coach, lousy GM) to hire his son in law Charlie Winner as head coach when Weeb retired from coaching.
Charlie Winner was the Rich Kotite of the 70s.
Then he followed up that hire with Lou Holtz, Hess knew oil but never had a clue about football.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

even worse, he let Gutman make football decisions, i.e. personnel, which he had no business doing.  Never had a real football man as GM.  Hess always had the Jets hierarchy as a great big clustrfuk....  not unlike Woody's stupid hierarchy where the HC AND the GM report to him, basically cutiing Macs balls off before he even began.  Let Mac bring in his own HC.  Bowles is terrible.

On 2/25/2017 at 8:28 PM, joewilly12 said:

Leon Hess was the majority owner in 1969 thats a fact. 

Becoming the team's majority stockholder in 1973, Hess bought Philip H. Iselin's share upon his death in 1976 after which only two of Hess' partners remained, Townsend Martin and Helen Dillon, who had inherited the stake from her father Donald Lillis, upon his death.[29] Hess began to buy out the remaining partners in 1981 when he bought Martin's 25% stake for $5 million.[30] Hess bought Dillon's stake three years later for another $5 million, acquiring sole control of the team.[30]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Jets

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Becoming the team's majority stockholder in 1973, Hess bought Philip H. Iselin's share upon his death in 1976 after which only two of Hess' partners remained, Townsend Martin and Helen Dillon, who had inherited the stake from her father Donald Lillis, upon his death.[29] Hess began to buy out the remaining partners in 1981 when he bought Martin's 25% stake for $5 million.[30] Hess bought Dillon's stake three years later for another $5 million, acquiring sole control of the team.[30]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Jets

Nice roi.

Might be the best 10 mil he ever invested.

Archived