This is going to be an UGLY season

CanadaSteve

Is this going to be one UGLY season coming up?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. This is shaping up to be one ugly season coming up. But how does everyone feel about it? We have trimmed 4 players already, and more could be on the way.

• Is it a complete roster overhaul with a full season of young guys showing their stuff
    • Is there no direction at all?
    • Could they be lining themselves up to potentially draft best QB available in 2018?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No more ugly than last season, but at least there's a hope of developing younger players for the future. With Fitz at QB and the aging roster there was literally no hope. I'm not expecting a great w-l record next season but at least I feel we're moving in the right direction. 

I would be 100% cool if this team finally decided to embrace being terrible for a year. That said I am fully certain that they would be able to maintain that strategy until Dec 1, after which we'd go on to win every single meaningless game for the rest of the season and play ourselves right out of a draft pick. It's what we do best.

Rookies make a great deal of errors. They need room to grow and learn. With the Jets having an abundance of speedy young guys next season they will lack precision many times. As the season advances, they will gain knowledge and confidence. With the 2018 draft and a loaded pocket book for some FA to come in and buttress the team on the field this may be a good thing after all.

Well, lets keep in mind, the D will have a few vets in Mo, Mclendon, Harris(They have thus far indicated he wills stay), and Skrine. If all others or 1s and 2nd year players the D will still not be all kids. On O they may be all young with the exception of Carpenter and maybe if they keep Decker, but seriously how much worse can the O be from last year even if all are 1st and 2nd year players?. The young ones would at least be hungry and spirited possibly providing some more inspiring play then we have been seeing the last 5-6 years with the exception of 2015. They with all of what I stated will be QA play whoever is. If it is below or way below average that will dictate such a bad season we will then probably go for a top QB in 2018. If QB play is average or better this team could surprise like Mangini's 1st year when nobody though we would get to 8 wins and we were 10-6 and made the playoffs. Anything is possible. 

• Home
  • Buffalo
  • Miami
  • New England
  • Kansas City
  • Chargers
  • Atlanta
  • Carolina
  • Jacksonville
  • Away
  • Buffalo
  • Miami
  • New England
  • Denver
  • Oakland
  • New Orleans
  • Tampa Bay
  • Cleveland

The question is, can we split with the Bills and take either the Browns or Jaguars game?

Otherwise we'll never get to 2-14.

SAR I

Hard to be uglier than last season.  Last year was just a wasted season.  A useless crap vet at QB while 3 young guys sat doing nothing.  A pro bowl DE playing all over the field (think I even saw Sheldon punt once).  Players giving up on the wasted season.  And ultimately a coach and GM obviously either too scared to make the right moves because of ticket sales, or just too dumb.  Either way, not a good thing. 

2017 has to be better.  Right?

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Hard to be uglier than last season.  Last year was just a wasted season.  A useless crap vet at QB while 3 young guys sat doing nothing.  A pro bowl DE playing all over the field (think I even saw Sheldon punt once).  Players giving up on the wasted season.  And ultimately a coach and GM obviously either too scared to make the right moves because of ticket sales, or just too dumb.  Either way, not a good thing. 

2017 has to be better.  Right?

"2003 has to be better. Right?" said Oakland Raiders fans as they went from the Super Bowl to 13 seasons without a single playoff appearance.

"2002 has to be better, Right?" said Miami Dolphins fans as the post-Marino era led to 14 seasons with a single playoff appearance.

"1995 has to be better. Right?" said Cleveland Browns fans as their post-Baltimore relaunch gave them one playoff appearance in 19 years.

"1983 has to be better. Right?" said Arizona Cardinals fans who went 22 years with only a single playoff appearance.

"2000 has to be better. Right?" said Detroit Lions fans who went 11 years without a single playoff appearance.

"2017 has to be better. Right?" said Buffalo Bills fans who have gone 16 post-Kelly years without a single playoff appearance.

This "do it the right way" rebuild has its consequences.  Add 10 to 20 years to your life, imagine only seeing the Jets in the playoffs two times, one-and-done each time in that span.  Because that's what it seems many of you are signing up for.

SAR I

13 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

So far everyone we cut, other than perhaps Folk, did vitually nothing last season. (and we've added almost $30M in cap space for acquisitions) So how have we gotten worse?  

There's not 1 person that was released that came as a surprise .  There's a player on the roster that this regime is familiar with who's in the position of every player released . 

Let's wait until free agency is through before we declare this. Continuing to rid the team of overpaid talent (Revis, Harris, and Gilchrist) then making FA moves with that money and bringing in a nice draft could easily make us a very competitive team next season.

QB is another story but the rest of the team could be in good shape with the right moves.

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

So far everyone we cut, other than perhaps Folk, did vitually nothing last season. (and we've added almost $30M in cap space for acquisitions) So how have we gotten worse?  

By attrition.....We have no LT, no C, and we are probably about to have no starting WR's and no CB. 

I have NO issue with this....what disappoints me is we did not do this in the first place.

Although the Jets had a better record than the Browns last year they looked more awful.

The Browns at least tried and appeared to have a coaching staff that was engaged.  

I am ok with the Jets and even Bowles if the young players play hard, don't quit and appear to have a plan.  Those videos of Revis running away from tackle are just spirit breaking.

I am not that excited about the rebuild, because I don't think we have too many good young players that excite me. Don't see the point in cutting Decker and Marshall, when they are the best players on the team. It's not like Anderson and Devin Smith are ever going to be better than them. Just because some of these guys are young, doesn't mean they're good. Yes, it's going to be ugly next season, unless one of those young qb's miraculously becomes a star, or we draft a guy who really pans out.

oo

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

By attrition.....We have no LT, no C, and we are probably about to have no starting WR's and no CB. 

I have NO issue with this....what disappoints me is we did not do this in the first place.

I am ok if the Jets do in 2017 what they should have done in 2015.

Tough to blame them for 2015 since it actually came close to working, they had cap space that had to be spent and a core of players they thought they could make the playoffs around.  Yes, I don't think they ever thought they were a SB contender.   But after Ryan Years 4-6 I think they wanted to show something.

And after 2015 they feel into the trap with Fitz and Revis, but it appears that they learned their lesson.

So if I am Woody I am giving Bowles and Macc a mini-restart-maybe a 1 year extension and instructions to build a sustainable winner the right way. When they have a solid core they can bring in veterans to fill holes and compete.   No QB, No LT, No EDGE and NO CB1 = No Solid Core.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I would be 100% cool if this team finally decided to embrace being terrible for a year. That said I am fully certain that they would be able to maintain that strategy until Dec 1, after which we'd go on to win every single meaningless game for the rest of the season and play ourselves right out of a draft pick. It's what we do best.

Nothing could be finer than around Thanksgiving-12/1/17 articles in newspapers and magazines and on websites bemoaning the Jets' naked tanking for Darnold. 

Just now, Bugg said:

Nothing could be finer than around Thanksgiving-12/1/17 articles in newspapers and magazines and on websites bemoaning the Jets' naked tanking for Darnold. 

Inevitably followed by Woody taking a red-eye back from Heathrow and demanding that the Jets give up two firsts for Romo for the final 3 games of the season.

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

My point is, lets not judge until we see the entire off season personnel moves.  The first step is cleaning house, now lets see what we add.  The Jets may be better next season than they were in 2016.

10 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Most important positions on a football team, in order: QB, CB1, OLT, C, Edge rusher.

Consider the people we currently have at those spots. 

Archived