This is going to be an UGLY season

CanadaSteve

Is this going to be one UGLY season coming up?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. This is shaping up to be one ugly season coming up. But how does everyone feel about it? We have trimmed 4 players already, and more could be on the way.

• Is it a complete roster overhaul with a full season of young guys showing their stuff
    • Is there no direction at all?
    • Could they be lining themselves up to potentially draft best QB available in 2018?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jet Life said:

Would be great if we actually did a proper rebuild..cut/trade players like Revis, Sheldon, Gillchrist, Harris etc..draft well and let the young guys play and develop for a season. But we will probably just go out and overpay a bunch of FAs

So basically, do what the Giants did last year.

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

True, but interestingly enough that QB and offense held them back in 2016

Being the offseason winner rarely pays off, the Giants did well though with their signings. We signed Revis, Skrine, Gilchrist, Forte. Bad. At least Carpenter was a good move

1 minute ago, Jet Life said:

Being the offseason winner rarely pays off, the Giants did well though with their signings. We signed Revis, Skrine, Gilchrist, Forte. Bad. At least Carpenter was a good move

Too early to judge Forte.

Revis was the top FA CB on the market that year and Gilchrist had a career year his first year with the Jets.

Skrine, I have no qualms about calling bad.

11 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That's because the Jets can get out of Wilkerson's contract quicker. The Texans are stuck with Watt.

BTW, I wonder why so many people gave up on WIlkerson after one bad year? 

The dead money on Wilkerson's contract if cut is 26.750 M    The dead money on Watt's contract is 20.5 M

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You wanna wait until he is 40?

No that's he long we have to wait before being allowed to say Hack might not be good

$4 mil per for a backup RB.  Meanwhile Jordan Howard is tearing it up in Chicago on minimum rookie scale

Only the jets

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1 more year. Then we can judge the signing. 

I can judge it right now.  In fact, I could judge it last year before he ever played a down.  Nice receiver out of the backfield, too old to be around when we are good, no reason to spend any money on him because he duplicates the downs you want Powell on the field.  Poor compliment to what we had.   It was damn near criminal to sign them both for 3/$12M at the same time.  Does that sound fair?  Or do you think we have to wait until his contract expires before we judge?

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Again, the dead money is up front because they can cut him quicker. 

Watt has 76 career sacks Wilkerson has 41.  Watt played less then 3 games last year and had 1.5 sacks.  Wilkerson playing all season had 4.5.

Are you really trying to say Wilkerson is a better value then Watt?  Kind of silly no?

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I can judge it right now.  In fact, I could judge it last year before he ever played a down.  Nice receiver out of the backfield, too old to be around when we are good, no reason to spend any money on him because he duplicates the downs you want Powell on the field.  Poor compliment to what we had.   It was damn near criminal to sign them both for 3/$12M at the same time.  Does that sound fair?  Or do you think we have to wait until his contract expires before we judge?

Which is why I screamed for Gailey to have them both on the field. In fact, it would be interesting to use Forte as a pseudo fullback because I saw that he could block well last year.

Just now, flgreen said:

Watt has 76 career sacks Wilkerson has 41.  Watt played less then 3 games last year and had 1.5 sacks.  Wilkerson playing all season had 4.5.

Are you really trying to say Wilkerson is a better value then Watt?  Kind of silly no?

Wilk did miss more team meetings on purpose than Watt however

Just now, flgreen said:

No, I think Wilkerson got fair value given his stats and stature within the league by the players, media, and coaches.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Which is why I screamed for Gailey to have them both on the field. In fact, it would be interesting to use Forte as a pseudo fullback because I saw that he could block well last year.

Oh you figured it out!  Forte should have lined up at fullback!

17 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And you want a proper rebuild? Nice job showing the patience required.

Not wanting to sign a running back through his 33rd birthday indicates that you don't have the patience to rebuild?  No younger way to spend $12M? 

14 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

What a silly idea.  Neither is fast enough to play WR (the one position we seemed to have adequate depth).  Neither blocks particularly well.  We don't generally use a FB.  What exactly to we gain?  Playing Sheldn at OLB made more sense.

Archived