1989 Jets Raiders Game On NFL Network Now

SAR I

53 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Was just about to post this. Love seeing this game. 

I know he's not well loved because we passed on Marino for him, but I'd take ken O'Brien for this jets team. 

Ken O'Brien was no Marino, but he was really good. Loved those teams. Take him over any QB since, including VT and The Noodle.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Black history month, first NFL game coached by a black head coach, it's on now if anyone is interested.

I was at the game, great seats on the 50 down low, guy with a megaphone was chanting "How-ie....How-ie...." at Howie Long.

SAR I

I was at that game, I remember that!! LOL

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Ken O'Brien was no Marino, but he was really good. Loved those teams. Take him over any QB since, including VT and The Noodle.

O'Brien had his moments but you are greatly overrating him.  He had a lot of talent around him and never won a post season game.  He was also a statue in the pocket.

15 hours ago, JetPotato said:

how could you have watched that game and say that? he single handedly cost the Jets that game against the Raiders.

Ken might be the most overrated player in jets history on these boards. 

I really like those old uniforms though, even though we sucked in '89 and that game was a borefest as far as offense goes it was fun watching it.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

how could you have watched that game and say that? he single handedly cost the Jets that game against the Raiders.

Ken might be the most overrated player in jets history on these boards.

I really like those old uniforms though, even though we sucked in '89 and that game was a borefest as far as offense goes it was fun watching it.

+1

On the Jets Mount Rushmore of failed potential, Ken O'Brien is right up there with Mark Gastineau and Chad Pennington, guys who weren't clutch and played terribly at the worst possible moments.  O'Brien and Pennington in particular were sack machines, they would hold onto the ball forever, rather take a 10 yard loss than throw a pick or an incompletion and jeopardize their beloved stats.

SAR I

I remember vaguely a game in which Kenny had a clear rushing TD, but decided to slide at the 1 to avoid getting hit in the EZ.  jets didn't convert thereafter.  Remember the local media going off on that play for the following week.  Anyone recall what game that was?

13 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

I remember vaguely a game in which Kenny had a clear rushing TD, but decided to slide at the 1 to avoid getting hit in the EZ.  jets didn't convert thereafter.  Remember the local media going off on that play for the following week.  Anyone recall what game that was?

1989 Jets vs. dolphins, I think it was Louis Oliver coming up for the big hit

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

+1

On the Jets Mount Rushmore of failed potential, Ken O'Brien is right up there with Mark Gastineau and Chad Pennington, guys who weren't clutch and played terribly at the worst possible moments.  O'Brien and Pennington in particular were sack machines, they would hold onto the ball forever, rather take a 10 yard loss than throw a pick or an incompletion and jeopardize their beloved stats.

SAR I

I disagree partially about Chad.  there are times he would take sacks to keep the comp % high but he didn't take nearly as many and Chad actually won big games for us which ken never did.  The only season Brady hasn't won the AFC East Chad went into Foxboro and hung 30 on NE and the Pats wouldn't lose again at home for another 3 seasons. Ken never did anything like that.  

32 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

I found this:

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/11/13/sports/has-o-brien-lost-nerve.html

15 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

O'Brien had his moments but you are greatly overrating him.  He had a lot of talent around him and never won a post season game.  He was also a statue in the pocket.

Disagree. While O'Brien had talent at the skill positions to work with, he had epically bad offensive lines most of his career. He took a beating back there, but the guy was tough, and still managed a pretty good career despite the lack of time and physical pounding he took weekly.

4 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Disagree. While O'Brien had talent at the skill positions to work with, he had epically bad offensive lines most of his career. He took a beating back there, but the guy was tough, and still managed a pretty good career despite the lack of time and physical pounding he took weekly.

his OLs were actually very good, don't confuse sack #s w/ the OL.  he took sacks holding the ball a- to keep his comp % high and b- always looking for the big play downfield.  was he tough? of course, to play QB in this league you have to be tough but he is very overrated by jet fans that forget exactly what he did.  if Ken played today and had same career he had w/ us back then he'd be run out of town w/in 3 years.

35 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

his OLs were actually very good, don't confuse sack #s w/ the OL.  he took sacks holding the ball a- to keep his comp % high and b- always looking for the big play downfield.  was he tough? of course, to play QB in this league you have to be tough but he is very overrated by jet fans that forget exactly what he did.  if Ken played today and had same career he had w/ us back then he'd be run out of town w/in 3 years.

Its difficult to overrate a QB relative to others in this franchise. I know exactly what Kenny was, and I still maintain that I take him 8 days a week over the garbage we've been trotting out for the past decade. No one is claiming he's a Hall of Famer. But he was fun to watch. The Jets are rarely that.

3 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Its difficult to overrate a QB relative to others in this franchise. I know exactly what Kenny was, and I still maintain that I take him 8 days a week over the garbage we've been trotting out for the past decade. No one is claiming he's a Hall of Famer. But he was fun to watch. The Jets are rarely that.

keep in mind that Ken was drafted in 1983, in 1982 we had a young, talented team that was a game away from the SB.  w/ that young talent Ken manged to NEVER start and win a playoff game when the AFC was very weak and the lone playoff game we won in the Ken era his BACKUP started and won. Ken doesn't crack the top 5 in NYJ history if you want to win.  he had an excellent year and a half(1985 and half of 1986) and then he was shot. Mark Sanchez, Chad Pennington or Vinny Testaverde on those 80s teams and we make multiple Super Bowls(we don't win b/c the NFC was so much better but we make multiple).  Ken on the '98 team, '02, '04, '09, '10 and we do nothing.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

keep in mind that Ken was drafted in 1983, in 1982 we had a young, talented team that was a game away from the SB.  w/ that young talent Ken manged to NEVER start and win a playoff game when the AFC was very weak and the lone playoff game we won in the Ken era his BACKUP started and won. Ken doesn't crack the top 5 in NYJ history if you want to win.  he had an excellent year and a half(1985 and half of 1986) and then he was shot. Mark Sanchez, Chad Pennington or Vinny Testaverde on those 80s teams and we make multiple Super Bowls(we don't win b/c the NFC was so much better but we make multiple).  Ken on the '98 team, '02, '04, '09, '10 and we do nothing.

I was too young, but sounds like the 2009-10 Jets, just a QB away

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

The line wasn't that bad, he couldn't move. I don't mean this as a cheap shot at him, but he never even scored a rushing TD.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

20 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

The early to mid 80's Jets were pretty good.

Coaching staff made some odd choices.  After coming up with the Sack Exchange, they changed to a 3-4, because... who knows.  You had a RDE in Mark G who had a 20 sack season.  You had a LDE in Joe Klecko who had (unofficially) a 20 sack season.  Seriously, and they changed it on purpose.   40 sack potential just from 2 guys!  Then, all the LB's blew out ACLs, Klecko got hurt 17 times, and Mark went insane on steroids and Bridgett Nielson.

Kenny O could make every throw.  Really, nice, strong arm.  Had Al Toon and Wes Walker, good TE in Mickey Shuler, good running back (always hurt though) in Freeman McNeil.  It just took him A HALF AN HOUR TO DECIDE WHERE HE WAS GOING TO THROW THE BALL!!!

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Does anyone know what really happened to him in 86?  Through 11 weeks, the team was 10-1, and he looked like an MVP.  Come week 12, we get killed by Miami 45-3, and he is literally never even a shell of what he was in 85 (top rated QB in the league) and 86 (through 11 games).

1 hour ago, jmat321 said:

the 2009-10 Jets weren't a QB away, they were the defense stepping up in title games away.  In the 80s our O was loaded w/ good OLs, Freeman McNeil(best runner we have ever had), Toon, Walker, Shuler, etc...better QB play and we could have done some damage.

16 minutes ago, chirorob said:

The early to mid 80's Jets were pretty good.

Coaching staff made some odd choices.  After coming up with the Sack Exchange, they changed to a 3-4, because... who knows.  You had a RDE in Mark G who had a 20 sack season.  You had a LDE in Joe Klecko who had (unofficially) a 20 sack season.  Seriously, and they changed it on purpose.   40 sack potential just from 2 guys!  Then, all the LB's blew out ACLs, Klecko got hurt 17 times, and Mark went insane on steroids and Bridgett Nielson.

Kenny O could make every throw.  Really, nice, strong arm.  Had Al Toon and Wes Walker, good TE in Mickey Shuler, good running back (always hurt though) in Freeman McNeil.  It just took him A HALF AN HOUR TO DECIDE WHERE HE WAS GOING TO THROW THE BALL!!!

he had a great arm, he looks pretty on youtube clips but he there's much more to playing the position than being able to throw and he just didn't have it.

9 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Does anyone know what really happened to him in 86?  Through 11 weeks, the team was 10-1, and he looked like an MVP.  Come week 12, we get killed by Miami 45-3, and he is literally never even a shell of what he was in 85 (top rated QB in the league) and 86 (through 11 games).

he did hurt his shoulder I believe but he was still playing and was terrible.  to be fair, we had a million injuries late in 1986 and our D fell apart b/c of it but:

last 5 reg season games w/ Ken: 

O averaged 9.4 PPG

WC win vs. KC w/ Pat Ryan at QB and same players on O:

28 points in 35-15 win.

Ken also came in during the 2nd qtr at Cle the next week and he had 4 full qtrs to play and led our O to 13 pts w/ the lone TD coming on a 25 yd Freeman TD run after an INT so he literally did nothing but hand it off.

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Mark Sanchez. Lol.

13 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Mark Sanchez. Lol.

yes, lol.  the guy who in one playoff game threw 3 TDs which was more than O'Brien had in 3 playoff games(he also won that game which ken has never done). Ken also had 3 INTs in a single playoff game which equaled Mark's 3 in SIX playoff games but hey Kenny has some nice Youtube clips throwing to al Toon and Wesley Walker!

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

yes, lol.  the guy who in one playoff game threw 3 TDs which was more than O'Brien had in 3 playoff games(he also won that game which ken has never done). Ken also had 3 INTs in a single playoff game which equaled Mark's 3 in SIX playoff games but hey Kenny has some nice Youtube clips throwing to al Toon and Wesley Walker!

+1

It is completely amazing to me how much disrespect Mark Sanchez gets in these forums.  Hey, I understand his 2011 and 2012 seasons were horrible, but that doesn't mean that 2009 and 2010 didn't happen.  Such thin skin about ESPN and the buttfumble teasing.  New Yorkers.  You'd think they'd be tougher than that.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

+1

It is completely amazing to me how much disrespect Mark Sanchez gets in these forums.  Hey, I understand his 2011 and 2012 seasons were horrible, but that doesn't mean that 2009 and 2010 didn't happen.  Such thin skin about ESPN and the buttfumble teasing.  New Yorkers.  You'd think they'd be tougher than that.

SAR I

2011 wasn't horrible, it wasn't as good as 2010 but 3 of his top weapons entering that season were out of football by 2012 and he did set franchise records for total TDs that year.  2012 no QB could have succeeded w/ Tebow, Sparano and having main weapons of Schilens, Gates and Hill.

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

2011 wasn't horrible, it wasn't as good as 2010 but 3 of his top weapons entering that season were out of football by 2012 and he did set franchise records for total TDs that year.  2012 no QB could have succeeded w/ Tebow, Sparano and having main weapons of Schilens, Gates and Hill.

Agree completely.

Yet that bum Pennington, that overrated garbage O'Brien, and that one-hit-wonder Testaverde get a ton of love.  For what?  Hey, at least they don't pine away for that scrub Esiason or that pathetic O'Donnell, so there's that.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Agree completely.

Yet that bum Pennington, that overrated garbage O'Brien, and that one-hit-wonder Testaverde get a ton of love.  For what?  Hey, at least they don't pine away for that scrub Esiason or that pathetic O'Donnell, so there's that.

SAR I

I understand Chad and Vinny,

Vinny had the greatest single season for a QB in franchise history, le us to a franchise record for wins, led us to 1st AFC East title and to AFC championship game.

Chad led us to 2nd AFC East title and in years he was healthy we made the playoffs each time and won a couple of playoff games.

Kenny was one of my favorite players as a kid but I didn't understand the game as well back then.  he held us back from doing great things and Jet fans seem to care more about a meaningless passer rating title or a PB app where he threw 10 TDs and 11 INTs than they do about winning.  Ken was handed a young, talented team in a weak AFC and never even won a single playoff game.

I bet you there are Jet fans that think Boomer '93/'94 was better than Sanchez.

53 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

There's a lot more to being a good QB other than being lucky enough to be on a team playing well and going for a ride.  

Samchez sucks beyond belief and upubsell him like he's anything close to a SB QB.  

And rip into OB.  Who had a better arm, threw a better ball, wasn't reckless and was a million times smarter than Sanchez.  Amazing

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There's a lot more to being a good QB other than being lucky enough to be on a team playing well and going for a ride.  

Samchez sucks beyond belief and upubsell him like he's anything close to a SB QB.  

And rip into OB.  Who had a better arm, threw a better ball, wasn't reckless and was a million times smarter than Sanchez.  Amazing

sanchez was vital to both runs, we didn't have the mid/late 80s bears D(who, by the way, couldn't win w/o McMahon).  we had a good D but we needed our QB to make plays and he did.  The 80s Jets teams were surrounded w/ more talent in a weaker era for AFC football and Ken couldn't even win a single playoff game yet his backup did w/ the same players.

yes, I rip into the guy that was on teams w/ more talent, in weaker era of AFC football who couldn't win a single playoff game instead of ripping on the guy who helped us win 4 playoff games which is double the 2nd place QB in Jets history and 4 more than Ken led us to.

Ken was brilliant which is why he played so small in big games and had as many playoff INts in 1 game that Mark had in 6.

How mindless to be discussing Mark Sanchez, who could not be trusted to throw more than 20 times a game (in a pass-friendly era) and benefitted from a stout defense to win games, to Ken O'Brien, who routinely could throw his team to victory (see the many shootouts with Miami). In this era, I assure you, Ken O'Brien is a very solid QB, where Sanchez can't crack even the worst lineups.

Archived