The 2006 NY Jets draft....

Beerfish

Since we just lost Mangold I thought I would bring up this draft.  One of the best drafts the Jets have had as far as having a big impact on the team and both good and bad moves by the GM. 

1st round:  D'Brick and Mangold

IMO you simply can't get a better 1st round that what we had.  A starting LT and a starting Center in the 1st round.  Ten years of from good to pro bowl play, super durability and good character.

2nd round:  Trades and Kellen Clemens

The Jets shrewdly traded down with Washington and get a 6th rounder and 2nd rounder the next year for doing so.  They then traded up to get Kellen Clemens, Clemens didn't work out (but to his credit he is amazingly still in the league living the life of a long term vet backup).  Though Clemens didn't wok out here the moves and actually picking a highly thought of QB at that point was really good.

3rd round: Traded and the Boar Hunter and Eric Smith

Here is where Tanny went full on brain dead for some reason.  It was rumored that the Jets really liked LB Chris Gocong but they traded down with Philly, who immediately took Gocong.  The Jets seemed to panic and picked Schlegel, just an awful awful pick, glacier slow LB who many on here thought was doomed.  But the pick itself was not the worst part of it.  The Jets got a measly 7th round pick for trading down ion the 3rd round.  To this day I have no idea what the hell they were thinking.  They used I believe a comp pick to take Eric Smith who became a huge whipping boy later in his career here but the pick was actually pretty good for getting a guy that played as much as he did and even though I wanted smith gone two years before he left I was always thankful he destroyed and eviscerated Wes Welker.

4th round: Brad Smith and Leon Washington:

A fantastic 4th round for the Jets, Brad Smith was a very useful ST and Swiss army knife player for a few years and Washington was a tremendous game breaker for the Jets for a few years.  This is just the kind of player the jets have lacked for a while a guy that either on specials or on a short pass van take it 60 or 70 yards.  To bad he got hurt as he was never really the same after his knee injury.

5th round:  Jason Pocasiak:

Meh, never amounted to anything but at least the Jets picked a tight end.

6th round:  Drew Coleman:

This was actually a good pick imo considering it was a 6th rounder.  Coleman was pretty bad at times near the end but was at least serviceable at times as a depth player. 

7th round:  Titus Adams:

Blech, NT/DT guy that never amounted to anything and was the pick we got for trading down in the 3rd.

Some big hits and some big misses but overall a good draft.  The key thing is we hit on both first rounders and then had hits and misses after that.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Since we just lost Mangold I thought I would bring up this draft.  One of the best drafts the Jets have had as far as having a big impact on the team and both good and bad moves by the GM. 

1st round:  D'Brick and Mangold

IMO you simply can't get a better 1st round that what we had.  A starting LT and a starting Center in the 1st round.  Ten years of from good to pro bowl play, super durability and good character.

2nd round:  Trades and Kellen Clemens

The Jets shrewdly traded down with Washington and get a 6th rounder and 2nd rounder the next year for doing so.  They then traded up to get Kellen Clemens, Clemens didn't work out (but to his credit he is amazingly still in the league living the life of a long term vet backup).  Though Clemens didn't wok out here the moves and actually picking a highly thought of QB at that point was really good.

3rd round: Traded and the Boar Hunter and Eric Smith

Here is where Tanny went full on brain dead for some reason.  It was rumored that the Jets really liked LB Chris Gocong but they traded down with Philly, who immediately took Gocong.  The Jets seemed to panic and picked Schlegel, just an awful awful pick, glacier slow LB who many on here thought was doomed.  But the pick itself was not the worst part of it.  The Jets got a measly 7th round pick for trading down ion the 3rd round.  To this day I have no idea what the hell they were thinking.  They used I believe a comp pick to take Eric Smith who became a huge whipping boy later in his career here but the pick was actually pretty good for getting a guy that played as much as he did and even though I wanted smith gone two years before he left I was always thankful he destroyed and eviscerated Wes Welker.

4th round: Brad Smith and Leon Washington:

A fantastic 4th round for the Jets, Brad Smith was a very useful ST and Swiss army knife player for a few years and Washington was a tremendous game breaker for the Jets for a few years.  This is just the kind of player the jets have lacked for a while a guy that either on specials or on a short pass van take it 60 or 70 yards.  To bad he got hurt as he was never really the same after his knee injury.

5th round:  Jason Pocasiak:

Meh, never amounted to anything but at least the Jets picked a tight end.

6th round:  Drew Coleman:

This was actually a good pick imo considering it was a 6th rounder.  Coleman was pretty bad at times near the end but was at least serviceable at times as a depth player. 

7th round:  Titus Adams:

Blech, NT/DT guy that never amounted to anything and was the pick we got for trading down in the 3rd.

Some big hits and some big misses but overall a good draft.  The key thing is we hit on both first rounders and then had hits and misses after that.

nice write up.  how can we ever forget the boar hunter.  smith and washington were really good players.  but this draft also underscores the fact that teams need to replace about 10 players each season  and the draft is only 7 rounds.  there's no such thing as a throwaway pick.

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

nice write up.  how can we ever forget the boar hunter.  smith and washington were really good players.  but this draft also underscores the fact that teams need to replace about 10 players each season  and the draft is only 7 rounds.  there's no such thing as a throwaway pick.

This is what Tanny was the worst at.  He threw away picks right left and center,including his annual give rex his pick idiocy.  Then we get Idzik who totally had the right idea but couldn't draft his way out of a paper bag.

Maccagnan in my mind is on the clock big time this year as far as 100% for sure hitting on his 1st and 2nd rounder.  IMO he is 1 out of 4 in that regard so far and that is not good enough,

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

This is what Tanny was the worst at.  He threw away picks right left and center,including his annual give rex his pick idiocy.  Then we get Idzik who totally had the right idea but couldn't draft his way out of a paper bag.

Maccagnan in my mind is on the clock big time this year as far as 100% for sure hitting on his 1st and 2nd rounder.  IMO he is 1 out of 4 in that regard so far and that is not good enough,

We've had numerous discussion about Darron Lee and our differences. Yet, even if I count Darron Lee as a small victory or still INC., I think Macc needs to hit it big.

Schlegel was just laughably bad.  Like, Jets second round pick bad.  So at least they only used a third on him.

Pretty sure Eric Smith tripped and fell a few times while you wrote this.

Sad to say, they probably could have stuck with Clemens this whole time with little impact on the results.  That's not really a credit to Clemens however.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

Schlegel was just laughably bad.  Like, Jets second round pick bad.  So at least they only used a third on him.

Sad to say, they probably could have stuck with Clemens this whole time with little impact on the results.  That's not really a credit to Clemens however.

Jaworski "A STEAL!"

16 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

One of the funniest though ghastly replays to watch is seeing Eric Smith on that infamous 99 yarder Cruz and the giants scored on us.

16 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

One of the funniest though ghastly replays to watch is seeing Eric Smith on that infamous 99 yarder Cruz and the giants scored on us.

20 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

We've had numerous discussion about Darron Lee and our differences. Yet, even if I count Darron Lee as a small victory or still INC., I think Macc needs to hit it big.

I know Mike Maccagnan needs to hit it big or he will be looking for a new job at the end of the 2017 season. 

37 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

totally agree on getting the top picks right but there is so much turnover that there aren't any throwaways.  so while mac is 1 of 4 or 2 of 4 in the top two rounds, he's made some nice later picks like shell, simon, jenkins, peake and burris.  not to mention picking up anderson and jalen marshall from the udfa pool.  we'll see how things turn out.  who knows maybe both smith and hack improve mac's record to 4/4. 

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I know Mike Maccagnan needs to hit it big or he will be looking for a new job at the end of the 2017 season. 

Its just too early to judge. When you say 1 out of 4 you are assuming Lee and Hack are busts (or jags). It's simply to early to tell. Nobody in the organization is giving up on these guys anytime soon. 

The criticism of Macc and his drafts are excessive IMO. In part, b/c he only had 2 drafts and a number of the players he drafted have barely gotten an opportunity to play consistent minutes. 

I mean, look at the 2015 draft. Leo, Smith, Mauldin, Petty, Harrison, Simon. Leo is a stud. Smith struggled, in part due to injury, but he may simply be a bust. Mauldin showed flashes but injuries stifled his development, IMO. The jury is still out on him. If he can put together a productive season this year, he could very well solidify a starting role at OLB. Petty, so far, has shown he is mostly likely not the future Franchise QB. But he was not exactly drafted as such. The Jets took a flyer a bit early (4th round). He will have an opportunity this season to show if he can be a starting QB in this league. Again, jury is still out. We shall see what he can do. Harrison was cut and was clearly a whiff. Simon on the other hand looks the part of a starting NT in the NFL and if he continues to improve, will be a steal in the 7th round.

Lets look at the 2016 draft. Lee, Hack, Jenkins, Burris, Shell, Edwards, Peake. Lee looks like he has a bright future. It's to early to tell how good he will actually become. Hack is really a complete unknown. I've had this argument a lot on this forum. You can make legitimate arguments both ways. But the truth is, right now, you really can't call Hack a bust, you can't say he will be a 'jag', you can't say he will be a Franchise QB or a starter, or anything. We simply have not seen enough from him to tell. Jenkins and Burris are both guys that look like they can be NFL starters. To me, Burris in particular could end up being a steal. Shell has not shown much, IMO. I know Jets CS likes him. He could be a starting RT. He will get his chance this season. But it's too early. If he regresses this season, we will have a better idea of what type of player he is at the NFL level. Edwards is the starter but he has had an up and down season. Will he be the Jets punter long term? I don't know. If he does not become more consistent, I think he gets cut. Peake has not gotten enough opportunities. Anderson really made a name for himself as an UDFA this season. Peake has shown flashes. I think he will do well if he gets more playing time. He could be another 'steal'.

So, you look at Maccs pics and because these guys have only been in the league a couple of years, its too early to tell whether or not they are busts or 'bad' picks. ALL of them are still on the roster (except for Harrison). Some have high expectations this upcoming season that will determine whether or not they will be part of the Jets future. Others have a cushion and will probably remain with the team even if they have an underwhelming season. A few may be 'on the bubble' and we may see them get cut before the season starts (Smith, Petty, Mauldin)- although unlikely.

So I don't see how you can possibly look at these two drafts and have any kind of blanket statement about Macc. I could understand if this was a situation where MOST of the players were clearly busts or on the bubble of being cut after only 1 or two seasons. But that is not the case. And saying that he is 1 for 4 in the first two rounds is misleading. Not only b/c its too early to assume Lee, Hack and Smith are busts but b/c it nullifies the gems he found in the mid-late rounds as well as UDFA (Anderson, Peake, Simon, Burris).         

Mack has been hamstrung by a sh*tty coach imo, some of his picks look worse than they are because of the way they are being used.

And hitting on late rounders does not smooth over early round misses, you have to do both to build a team with so many holes.

Mack has been hamstrung by a sh*tty coach imo, some of his picks look worse than they are because of the way they are being used.
And hitting on late rounders does not smooth over early round misses, you have to do both to build a team with so many holes.

Kinda agree ... except for Bowles being a sh*tty coach ... i need another year to evaluate

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah, that really was a special kind of awful.  Although I think the one I can never forgive him for most is that he was essentially responsible for the Jets' eventual trade for Tebow.

56 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Kinda agree ... except for Bowles being a sh*tty coach ... i need another year to evaluate

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah Bowles is not a sh*tty coach. He is he worst coach we have had since Richie the K, and may even be worse then he was, making him the worst HC the NY Jets have ever had in their employ. Never once did RK's teams just quit on him. Bowles team quit on him in week 3 last season. Even during the 1-15 season in 1997, they at least tried to win for Kotite. This current charade is the reason why we will probably never really know if Hack or Petty are capable NFL QB's, and whomever comes in to QB this upcoming season will fail ultimately due to poor preparation, game planning, and over all coaching. While I understand the need for continuity, we do not need continuity of what went on here last season. In essence we are wasting another entire year only to have to start from the beginning yet again next January.

I am sorry to keep beating a dead shrimp Boat Captain, but let us never lose sight of what went on here last season and, absolutely not soften a bit on just how hideous this team was week in and week out last year. Some posters here like to stand on 5 wins saying it was not that bad. Bull ***t. It was worse than bad, it was unwatchable most weeks. Remember, we beat SF and Cleveland and had to struggle from far behind to do so. We beat Buffalo once with Rex where we had a big lead and tried to come back to lose, and once in week 17 when nobody gave a $hit. The only 1 legitimate win was against Baltimore in week 4 I think, before Baltimore righted their ship or else that was a loss as well. I think Baltimore had a losing record at that time as well if I am not mistaken. how many weeks did this team score 6 or less points? At least 4 games. How many times was this organization undressed before a National TV audience? Remember Indianapolis? LOL. Remember Arizona? Miami, on and on.

God, I cannot believe how anyone here could consider Bowles succeeding here next season. This is the man who played countless players out of position game after game, who is a defensive guru and fielded the worst D (and ST's in NFL history IMO) we have ever fielded, kicked a FG behind 41-0 for Christ's sakes, was totally incapable of adjusting to opponents strengths and weaknesses, and on and on. Face it, this guy is not a capable NFL HC period.

1 minute ago, ASH1962 said:

I totally agree here, Bowles is not a sh*tty coach. He is, however, the worst coach we have had since Richie the K, and may even be worse then he was. Never once did RK;s teams just quit on him in week 3 of a season, even during the 1-15 season, they at least tried to win for him.

Bowles team won more games in 2016 than Kotite's teams did COMBINED in 95 and 96.

Effort's important, for sure, but not enough to hide that fact.

I don't believe that coaches just have off years.  Last year Bowles was sh*tty at almost everything he put his hand to.  I have little confidence he is going to have an epiphany of greatness. 

his in game coaching was awful, challenges, time outs and in general strategy.

He let his players walk all over him despite him coming across as a tough no nonsense guy,

He did not in any way shape or form get the best out of his players.

He constantly played guys in positions they would either fail at or not be at their best.

He pretty blatantly and laughably lied when he came out saying the effort was there in games in which the team checked out totally.

The side of the ball that is his baby, the one that almost all resources have been poured into over the years was a disgrace.

He was out coached badly after half times most often and seemed to never be able to adjust a game plan on he fly.

He did indeed suck at almost every phase of coaching.  Can he come back and be new and improved?  Who knows, he is going to get his chance but he was pure awful last year.

4 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, that really was a special kind of awful.  Although I think the one I can never forgive him for most is that he was essentially responsible for the Jets' eventual trade for Tebow.

Everybody hates on Smith but the guy was a banger and probably shortened wes welker's career with some crushing shots to the head on that dude.  He also led the team in tackles one year. Not an awesome player but hardly a bust 

1 hour ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Everybody hates on Smith but the guy was a banger and probably shortened wes welker's career with some crushing shots to the head on that dude.  He also led the team in tackles one year. Not an awesome player but hardly a bust 

He's hardly the worst of Jets, but he still qualifies as one of the non-QBs who constantly annoyed me the most.  He was a good special teamer, an alright backup, but an absolutely horrendous starter.  As a general rule, it's not usually a good thing to be the team-leading tackler when you're a DB.  That usually just speaks to how constantly you're getting beat.  I am not exaggerating when I say that never have I seen anyone in any professional sport fall over completely untouched anywhere close to the number of times it happened to Smith, even when there are others doing it intentionally.

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I see a lot of people say this, I just wholeheartedly disagree. The right idea is to get a QB. He passed on 3 of them because he took Geno ******* Smith. Idzik had no clue what he was doing, he wanted to stockpile draft picks, and go value shopping, but he had zero regard for the most important position in football. Unless you are all in on finding a franchise QB, IMO, you don't have the right idea.

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Perfectly said

Anyone who thinks the head coach wasn't driving player selection under Tannenbaum needs to look at the Mangini drafts vs the Rex drafts. Mangini consistently preferred team captain/Boy Scout types and Rex wanted outcast reclamation projects, so that's what they got. Unfortunately for Mangini, it led to picks like Schlegel and Eric Smith, but it also resulted in getting self-motivated players who lasted forever.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Anyone who thinks the head coach wasn't  driving player selection needs to look at the Mangini drafts vs the Rex drafts. Mangini consistently preferred team captain/Boy Scout throws and Rex wanted outcast reclamation projects, so that's what they got. 

I want to like your post, but then I remember that you led a revolt against one of my threads that cost me almost 100 likes . By the way, it was all Idzik and the HC who he was forced to keep had nothing to do with the drafting of any of those prospects .

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

No. Mangini was/is terrible.  Tanny made his career.  

Perhaps, but the two should have been given a few more years to finish their build and see if they could grow. They were both young, inexperienced hires and while both flawed, might have grown

Archived