Shel-DONE? Potential Richardson Deal puts Maccagnan in Tough Spot

JetNation

IMG_3895.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

When New York Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson blew onlookers away with his outstanding performance during his 2013 rookie season, leading to his being named defensive rookie of the year, Jets fans had visions of the big man dominating offensive linemen for the next decade.

It didn’t take very long however, for Richardson to draw the ire of Jets fans in the years that followed as he found himself suspended for drug use.  Then again for taking a wild ride in the wee hours of the morning in Missouri, leading police on a chase that saw Richardson top 140 MPH with what turned out to be a loaded weapon and young child in the car.

There have been a smattering of less damning incidents since that time, such as being benched for a quarter of play due to missed meetings and a personal video on a teammate’s social media account in which he used disparaging language towards women.

IMG_3828-300x250.jpg

Defensive Lineman Sheldon Richardson has been a polarizing figure due to his on-field play and off-field conduct.

All of this while his on-field production has slipped, as Richardson has gone from 84 tackles and 11 1/2 sacks in his first two years as a pro, to 58 tackles and 6 1/2 sacks in the 2 seasons since.  Finding reasons for the decreased production isn’t very difficult at all.  First of course, is the suspensions that have cost him valuable game time.  Then there’s the way he’s been utilized by head coach Todd Bowles.

Lining up on the outside of the defense at linebacker or at defensive end, spots for which Richardson is not best suited, has made his opportunities to make plays have been few and far between.  One thing that has not suffered in the face of adversity is Richardson’s effort, and that’s what makes moving him such a delicate situation for Mike Maccagnan.

As the General Manager, it is of course Maccagnan’s job to acquire and retain talent, not to export it for less than the value it brings, but that’s exactly what many are speculating he’ll be forced to do this off-season.

IMG_1661-1-300x211.jpg

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan may be forced to unload one of his most talented players in Sheldon Richardson.

In Richardson, Maccagnan is essentially the owner of a high-performance sports car, but looking to trade it in because one day it might not run as smoothly as he’d like.  He knows Richardson is worth every penny of his blue book value when things are humming along, but those coming to the negotiating table will likely be offering a small fraction of his true first-round value.

When considering Richardson’s financial situation, there’s plenty of reason to believe he’ll play at a high level this season and beyond.  He has never made any bones about money being what motivates him to play at the level he does.  With this being the final year of his rookie deal, he’ll be looking to cash in, so the non-stop motor will be revving higher than ever.  The Jets would also have the option to franchise tag Richardson after this season if a long-term deal can’t be reached.

In all likelihood, Maccagnan will deal Richardson to the highest bidder, probably a 3rd round pick, and hopefully one that will become a 2nd rounder based on Richardson’s on-filed performance.

As is sometimes the case with the Jets and their first round draft choices, even when they get it right, something goes wrong.

Most recently it was future Hall-of-Famer Darrelle Revis who forced his way out of town years ago with his outrageous contract demands, and now another elite defender, Richardson, who has had one too many appearances on the police blotter and is one incident away from a more lengthy suspension.

That’s something that suitors for Richardson’s services will hold over the Jets’ heads come negotiation time.  Maccagnan’s options will be to ride it out with a highly talented but equally risky young player, or get taken out to the woodshed and unload a first-round talent, for what amounts to a third-round lottery ticket.  Looks like Maccagnan may have no choice but to “dare to dream”.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
ybn00fWs2kI

Click here to read the full story...

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Poor MacCagnan, now he has to trade the 2nd or 3rd best player on the roster... because the defensive savant we hired as a head coach, couldn't figure out how to use him.

Woe is me.

I mean, it does suck, doesn't it?

Not very often you see a player as talented as Sheldon being shopped.

I'd say pretty good odds he makes a few pro-bowls while Mac hopes the player he takes with that pick is starter material.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sad state of affairs when an organization has a superstar player and instead of using him to our advantage we trade him away........and we all wonder wonder why its been 47 years. 

Richardson does too much dumb sh*t .. you gotta be nervous throwing big money his way regardless of his talent ..  I fine with them taking the safe bet in Mo and Leo ..  what I'm not fine with is trading Richardson for the third round pick . He is way to good a player for that value 

2 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Richardson does too much dumb sh*t .. you gotta be nervous throwing big money his way regardless of his talent ..  I fine with them taking the safe bet in Mo and Leo ..  what I'm not fine with is trading Richardson for the third round pick . He is way to good a player for that value 

Trading a proven NFL superstar for a "what if" draft pick especially the way the Jets draft is DUMB. 

3 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Should look at getting some 2018 picks for him. Jets need picks. They won't win a SB this year or next so it matters very little. Get a three both years if possible.

The problem is, the Jets have 3 34DEs and 2 spots  . What hurts Richardson is he got himself suspended and followed it up by lying to the team while Wilkerson was going to the pro bowl . Every defensive coordinator in the league will try to put their best players on the field and that's what Todd Bowles did.  It didn't work, so he scrapped it .  Nothing to see here except a bunch of fans who can't wait to fire the next man they want hired .

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Trading a proven NFL superstar for a "what if" draft pick especially the way the Jets draft is DUMB. 

Superstar is stretching it he isn't JJ watt ..  but that's the nature of the business i just want better value ..  unless where switching to a 4-3 there's no way we can make all 3 of them fit to justify paying them all the big bucks .. something gotta give and Mo got the check and Leo is the best of the 3..

if you wanna debate if Mo or Sheldon should of got the pay day thats one thing .. but they day we drafted Leo you had to know there would be a odd man out eventually 

If I'm Mac, I deal Sheldon to the team willing to give the highest conditional pick next season.  

If he makes the pro bowl or gets "xyz" number of sacks, it's a 2nd rounder.

DPOY is a 1st rounder.

No worse than a 3rd which is what they'll likely get if he were to walk as a FA.

Something along those lines.

26 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Superstar is stretching it he isn't JJ watt ..  but that's the nature of the business i just want better value ..  unless where switching to a 4-3 there's no way we can make all 3 of them fit to justify paying them all the big bucks .. something gotta give and Mo got the check and Leo is the best of the 3..

if you wanna debate if Mo or Sheldon should of got the pay day thats one thing .. but they day we drafted Leo you had to know there would be a odd man out eventually 

4-3 D would be the smartest move this team could make but smart and Todd Bowles isn't happening.

1) He is not a super star.....at all

2) He is one indiscretion away form a years holdiay

3) He is a disruptive a$$hole

4) Our head coach has no system thus the player has cannot be used at his best.

5) He is going to demand a big contract next year

6) He is just the type of player that once he gets paid will go on permanent holiday.

7) Teams like the Pats being dumbasses have set a low market for impact D players with their dumping of Collins and Jones at the 1st sign of inconvenience.

We are totally f'ed with this player.  He is going to be very good next year no matter where he goes because it its PAY DAY!  After that he will take his cash and check out.  There is not a thing the Jets can do that will be a good move with sir sheldon.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Poor MacCagnan, now he has to trade the 2nd or 3rd best player on the roster... because the defensive savant we hired as a head coach, couldn't figure out how to use him.

Woe is me.

This. 

Plus his only good pick thus far he took as the easiest no brainer pick ever which left him in this position in the first. 

32 minutes ago, IntoTheGreen said:

I think 4-3 is the only realistic way to go. Lee is better suited for that system too.

47 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

4-3 D would be the smartest move this team could make but smart and Todd Bowles isn't happening.

Why would having 4 4-3 DTs be a smarter thing, fellas? They need speed on the edge in either defense. Leo, Mo, and Sheldon aren't 4-3 DEs they are DTs. Either way, they have three similar players for two spots. Giving Mo that massive deal was a mistake. One of them has to go and Sheldon is the easiest to get rid of. 

22 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

I would love this deal .. u can't trade a comp pick tho .. so it would be out high 3rd

That rule has changed as of this season.  Teams can now trade comp picks.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

uh, not for nothing but they made the choice to sign wilk and shop sheldon.  it's too bad it ended up this way but there's just no reason to pay the dline as much as they do let alone the amount they would have to pay if they re-signed richardson.  imo they made the wrong choice.  richardson plays with a ton of fire.  he could be a real leader.

Archived